Starting July 29th

kdegar

Sisaacson- Wow, you are such a mature adult! Such restraint! I am always amazed when grown up people try to tell other grown up people what they should eat; as if that is necessary!

Kdegar- it seems that you were doing the best you could under the circumstances.... And maybe your body is set nicely with your Whole23 1/2! And if it was just a few days from now, you could choose that less than desirable lunch with just some regret and not disappointment, but you likely will indeed pack food for the next meet, even though the W30 police isn't watching). Aren't we always learning what works and how to do better next time? With everything?!

Today it occurred to me that we are just doing garden variety human eating.... NOT a big deal, over plan and obsession eating! I was thinking back to when I visited my grandparents' home when I was young. They usually ate template-like meals, and no dessert (that part was foreign to me). No one told them to. In fact, it is likely that people who are surrounded with real food in their culture probably do this every day and feel good... And would feel terrible if they ate the standard American diet for just a day. I guess I am prepping mentally for some good rhythm to begin when I "graduate" on Thursday. Toward this end, today I made borscht, and tomorrow I will (finally!) make chocolate chili, carnitas and some stew to pack the freezer. It's reminds me of late pregnancy nesting!

Two more days for most of you! Easy peasy!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sisaacson - it is SUCH a pet peeve of mine when people don't listen to the words that I am saying! I would have been so frustrated. Way to be mature!

Guys, I just made plans to go to my favorite local place on Wednesday - day 31. It just so happened that the friend I'm going with suggested Wednesday, and I'm so excited about just going out to eat I can't even tell you. I'm not going to go crazy, but it's going to take some planning to not just revert to my usual (which I thought was semi-healthy before - burrito-in-a-bowl with brown rice, black beans, chicken, cheese and salsa, plus chips, obviously!). I'll get a salad this time, but they have the best salsa in the world and I may take the opportunity to see how I do with corn (chips). Or maybe not, because i have no idea what kind of oil they're fried in. Argh, I see why people get stressed about the end of their Whole30!

Yesterday was my re-intro day YAY!! So I thought.

I had a burger, I know better but we were out to dinner with a big group and the only thing gluten free was a mozzarella basil salad other than the side dinner salad. I was very excited to eat a burger from this place as they are yummy! At about 2:30 in the morning my hands were itching pretty bad (eczema area) and I had to get up to apply some cortisone cream, when I woke up my eczema was ANGRY! I never knew that this was my skin issue, I had not been able to wear my wedding ring but for only maybe a dinner date because I would break out even worse. During the whole 30 I was able to wear it without any problems, I always thought I was allergic to the gold. My stomach is no longer flat and I am very bloated!

I cannot say how good I felt prior to the bun, I had no spreads on the burger. I can say that it was definitely not worth it, I feel terrible and now I have to deal with my cracked skin.

Today I am back to my regular whole 30 breakfast that I am very happy to be eating. I was super excited to my introduction day that in reality I wish I had not re-introduced. I now know what my issue is and I will definitely avoid gluten. It's amazing how much damage that one burger caused, I didn't even finish all of it.

Wow, Gabenick! That is a strong reaction. I'm so sorry you have all these issues, but it's good to be aware of exactly what is triggering it!

gardengirl, whenever I do get salads there I never get dressing, just salsa. So yummy!

DubyaWife, I was in the same situation last week. I wasn't overly tired, but I was hungry all. the. time. I think that usually happens anyway and I just noticed it more this time.

Seems like everyone has been doing great... and Kdegar... sorry to hear that you got caught up with the swim meets, but I totally understand... I teach dance and sometimes its all I can do the shove something in as quick as possible.

I have pretty great news, I most likely will not be needing surgery. Saw Surgeon today and whole he suggested that I need to have a colonoscopy by age 40 ( I have an uncle who had colon cancer in his 30s, so a little risk), he thinks my pain is most likely due to muscle injurt from lifting and perhaps a mild hiatal hernia. I cannot weightlift for at least another 4 weeks, but have been cleared for running and dancing, just no ultramarathons :)

And, I can try the Whole 30 again soon! so my next start date is Sept 9, 2013... so I will be a 9er again!

Great job everyone!!!!

Hey y'all!  Day 30 is here!  

Lots of great posts over the past couple of days.  Work has been insane so I haven't been able to really comment but great stuff everyone - sisaacson - I got people in my family like that.  It's wierd but they almost get angry about it.  why would anyone get angry about somebody else trying to find a healthier way of living.  And kdegar - I am with you, girl.  It is so tough to be in those situations.  You have to eat and there is stress and exhaustion and being out of your routine.  But, I am ending my W30 today.  I am really running out of ideas here for stuff.  I am eating 3  hard boiled eggs and sweet potato hash and I am choking it down.  I do have some cool news though.  I worked at a booth at the Minnesota State Fair yesterday.  I ate 3 eggs and carrots on the way in with my coffee with coconut cream and milk.  Then for snacks I brought a Lara Bar and raw almonds and two apple sauces, an apple and some carrots.  I knew I had to find some protein.  I wandered through the crowds on my break and ended up in the food building.  The MN state fair is known for all it's food.  Everything is on stick and deep fried.  I wandered into the food building.  And there it was, without a line of course, grass fed lamb chops on a stick from a small farm in southern Minnesota.  I ran up to them and said,"My people!  I found my people!"  I think I freaked out the teenage farm girl working the register.  They were SO GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!  I actually ended up eating better then if I had eaten lunch at home.  

So, it is the last day...I am afraid to be off this I have to admit.  I know me.  I know what happens to me when I start adding stuff back in.  I don't want to eat sugar or wheat.  And very little dairy.  How is everyone else feeling about it?

Hurray to those finishing up today! I was really hoping to be an "advanced member " by now, what with all the thorough studying, evangelism and successfully "livin' the dream" here, but evidently I haven't suffiently supported you all (or asked enough questions?) to gain that Internet cred! I've got one more day, but will check in to see the forward progress- on this or other "post W30" threads. It has been a great, life-changing ride!

I am afraid to be off this I have to admit.

I am a little bit too. I usually find that a plan helps me. So mine is: I'll have a little high-quality dairy tomorrow morning and see how I feel the rest of the work day (one of my favorite seasonal drinks from my favorite local coffee shop is about to go away for the fall - I'm not a big coffee drinker, but this is so yummy!). Then I'll probably have a few corn tortilla chips with that amazing salsa tomorrow night, to see how I do with that. Thanks to my trip this weekend I'll have to speed up the reintro a little. I have some raw veggies and nuts to take with me, and I'm traveling with my Whole30 friend, so that's great. But we're going to Chicago for a day and there is so much great food there! I'm going to reintro gluten as best I can while traveling. Then when I get back next week, back to mostly Whole30-style for me, with a little more flexibility on restaurants and maybe some good, worth-it dairy if that goes OK tomorrow. The next special event I have coming up is my brother's wedding in a month followed by my birthday, so it'll be good to think of it as almost another Whole30 till then.

I feel so good right now - I am NOT a morning person, but I was dancing in my car to the radio at 7:30 this morning. That never happens! I don't want to mess it up. I think that comparing how I feel right now with how I anticipate feeling after our trip (where I won't have total control over what I eat, since we're staying with friends' family members) will be good motivation for me to get back to the routine, though it will be nice to breathe a little this weekend.

Lees, would you have time this weekend (or whenever) to cook up some new recipes and have them ready to go? I've heard that that chili freezes really well, for one, and that might help with some variety and new options. I'll eat the same thing all week if I like it, but eventually I totally get sick of it too.

LAST DAY, y'all! We got this! (whoever's still on the original schedule, anyway :) ) gardengirl, you're almost done! Yay!

Hello friends....

Last day here as well!  It hasn't been easy, but it's been worth it.  I too, like the structure and worry about being "off plan".  I've been very proud of myself getting through weddings, beachy vacations and family BBQ's without a slip.  The plan and this forum kept me going.  My goal is to stay as close to whole30 as possible at least for the next 4 weeks or so.  I will, however, add in a few things that will make life a little simpler like store bought unsweetened almond milk.  I've been making my own, which is not difficult, just takes a little time. 

I wanted to thank all the members on this forum.  Your willingness to share has helped me more than I can express.  So again, thank you.

Good luck with your journey towards a healthy lifestyle!  Although my whole30 is ending, my journey has just begun....

Wow! We're here. I read the email this morning and knew it was day 30, but then forgot about it until after work. Lunch and my plan for dinner were just auto pilot!

Gonna keep on truckin', at least for the rest of the week, maybe have some cheese or Greek yogurt over the weekend, but then jump right back in to whole 30 norm next week. Thanks to all of you! I'll be checking back as I go along to see how everyone is coming along. Head going toward the pillow...congratulations. Take stock in what you've accomplished here. This was no small feat. For me it got easier during the second half. These last 2 days have been my first "not tired" days. I am hugely grateful for that progress. Not tiger blood, but not tired, and my Fit bit told me this evening that I hit my 10,000 step mark today....without my jogging in place trick. So I guess something is going on, I didn't seem to have to work at it today. Just moved more. Yay!

sisaacson, that's so awesome! It was such a relief to me when I quit feeling tired all the time (later than the timeline said it would be).

I had that drink and a little cheese with my steak hash this morning. It was glorious. I hope I still feel that way in a few hours. :) I found out there will be homemade waffles on my trip in addition to Chicago pizza, so I guess I'll be gluten-introing a lot this weekend! I can't say no when somebody's mama makes waffles. But I think I'll be better able to keep it under control after this experience, and get right back to it when I come home.

Guys, we did it! We are rock stars. Without the rock star hangovers.

Hey everybody!

Good morning!  I haven't gotten the opportunity to write until now but I just wanted to say good-bye to everyone.  It has been wonderful to talk with all of you over this last month.  There is no way I could have done this without you.  I really mean that.  I don't know any of you but I know you kind of and I like you and you helped me and I am thankful for that. I lost 16 pounds so I am very excited about that and I am continuing on with my paleo journey.  I had a hot dog and some cottage cheese my first day out and wasn't too thrilled by either.  I am completely staying away from sugar and wheat but would really like to stay away from all grain.  My Mom bought me a box of almond-rice crackers and I ate the whole box with hummus and felt crappy afterwards.  So, paleo it is for me.

I would really like to continue on with boards.  I like it.  It helps to keep me accountable. any suggestions for paleo board?

I wanted to wish you all well and tell you that it has been wonderful to chat this past month.  

All the best to you in your journeys, 

Ann (Lees96)

** OOPS! Realized I posted this in the July 29 post, not Aug.  Sorry.

Hi All, I'm a little late to the forum, but I started on the 29th as well.  So far I am feeling really great, and I'm wondering if this is a good thing or a bad thing... is my 'hangover phase' going to really wallop me?  This is my first Whole30 and my husband is doing it along with me.

Archived