Starting July 29th

kdegar

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning! I'm a little behind in finding the forum and this thread, but I started on the 29th with my BF. I have been Pale for a few months but fell apart in June and need to get back on track. I have the basics down, but I'm still reading the book. Good to find some fellow 29ers.

Day 3!

I'm glad you found us, sisaacson4!

I don't know if y'all are getting the Whole30 Daily emails, but that photo of the little boy pretty much describes how I'm feeling. :) I'm going to have to do something different for breakfast. I tend to eat the same thing all week, and I'd planned on sweet potato hash with spiced ground beef, an egg or two, and kale salad - but it's taking me forever to cook and eat (no good for getting to work on time), plus I'm not really enjoying it!

Good morning day 3ers!  That includes you Dubyawife!  You are still with us.  Jent 103 - I totally get it.  It takes a lot of time and prep to eat this way.  After I started eating this way, I thought,"Well no wonder everyone eats crap...nobody has any time to eat right." Plus I find that after all that prep and work, the food doesn't really taste that great.   But, I am feeling so much better. I did wake up with a headache this morning.  But,it is nice not going to bed full of DQ or cereal from a late night snack.  I am off to find some coconut cream today.  I know this is lame but I cannot do black coffee and I really love having my coffee in the morning,  I am hoping the coconut cream will help.  I've tried coconut milk in the past and it was ok.  Carry on on this Day 3 my fellow 7/29's!

I'm having the same issue. Half a chicken breast is a good bit for me so I'm trying to double that. I tried eating meat before veggies and that helped a little bit since veggies aren't as heavy. Definitely feeling hungover this morning...headache, dry mouth- such a weird feeling since I've had no alcohol!

I'm having the same hungover feeling, thought not exactly a headache.. more a general malaise, like something's off.  I've been excited to eat more meat, but I'm not sure I'm eating as much (portion size) as I'm supposed to, and I wonder how long the excitement will last...  I usually only ate meat a couple times a week, so twice a day (plus eggs in the morning) is a big switch for me.  Still, I'm glad to have eaten lots of delicious things the past two days and hope to start feeling awesome soon!  Keep with it everyone!

So far my day 4 is starting out great! I had a 1 egg + 3 egg white omelette stuffed with crab, spinach and onion. Cooked that up in some coconut oil and completed the meal with some raspberries and blueberries. 

Today is going to be my first restaurant encounter. I'm being treated out to lunch to a japanese steakhouse. Going to try to avoid anything offered on the hibachi menu and try to find some sushi or sashimi with a side salad instead. I'm hoping they can deconstruct a sushi roll and make it with no rice. That would be ideal so fingers crossed that I can survive. With August 1st around the corner, I figure if I slip up its not the end of the world but I'm trying my hardest not too and trying to get that mentality out of my head. It's me versus the restuarant in an hour so let's hope I come out a winner! 

Glad everyone is having a great day 3 so far! Lunch was baked chicken and some baked broc from last night, and half a banana.

I am wondering how my 4 o'clock stomach growl will go today. My better half insists its becasue I dont eat enough during the day, but Even if I eat breakfast, a midmorning snack, lunch, a midafternoon snack at 3, I STILL get the "hunger" signal around 4 pm.... During the week.... on the weekends, I dont have this problem.

I am thinking it might have to do with something deeply hardwired into my brain that I "Need" the snack. I don't think it is craving per se, but maybe more like a psychological habit from boredom at the end of the day? Like I said, it doesn't matter if I do a midafternoon snack or not, I get that "hungry" feeling around 4-4:30 during the work week.

Anyone else have something like this crazy going on?

madeofmercury- I too am excited about eating more meat, and it is a huge switch for me and i am curious about my intake. I was worried that 3 eggs every morning was too much for me, but then I saw Lees96 post and Amberino's reply and decided to stick with the 3, maybe even 4 on the mornings I run!

You can do it, Haley!! Let us know what you end up with - I may need to steal some ideas for my trip this weekend. :)

I find that after all that prep and work, the food doesn't really taste that great.

Exactly, Lees96 - it's something I'm having to force myself through right now, which is annoying. Planning to look for some quick or make-ahead ideas at lunch so I can revamp!

My Day 3 is going OK. 2 eggs sauteed with garlic, shallot, cauliflower, and fresh parsley plus black coffee. Following the advice from the book to eat Meal 1 before coffee. Had some of the most delish watermelon after. Could not finish the eggs and I am definitely going to find some alternatives to eggs for my morning meal. Fried fish is one of my favorites--maybe I can do it with almond meal/flour.

Lunch is a can of oil-packed tuna mashed with half of an avocado and some chopped cornichons. Baby carrots on the side.

Had a small amount of macadamia nuts on the way home from Trader Joe's.

I promised my kids Moe's for dinner tonight so, either I will get a bowl with steak and veges or I will abstain. There will be some temptations there but I will be strong! :-)

How are you guys doing today?

I started my Whole30 on July 23rd so I'm just a little over a week ahead. I've been enjoying the awesome recipes I've come across that I can make up ahead of time and freeze. I made cabbage rolls the other day, stuffed with beef and pork. I froze them individually and put them together in my freezer. They are so delicious and easy to take out one at a time and reheat!! I made ratatouille with ground beef yesterday in my crock pot. I loved it so much that I had some for breakfast!! One of the things that I've noticed right away is how much better my foods taste now that sugar and alcohol aren't clouding my palette. Everything tastes so much more vibrant now!! I love the way I feel these days. I'm hoping that once I get to my gastro appt in September I'll be much healthier and I hope to have a much better recovery after I get my surgery to correct my hernia. I think I've decided to stay on the Whole30 past the initial 30 days. I'm feeling so good I don't want to come off of this ride!

Well, feeling better! Lees96. I've been doing coconut milk with a bit of cinnamon. It has made my black coffee little bit more palatable! Jents103...I have loved my breakfasts the past 2 days. The first morning was bland so I found the frittata recipe. grease a muffin tin really well, put a slice if prosciutto in it (make a cup). Then fill with whatever egg combo you want. I did turkey sausage with mine. I used 3 eggs for 5 cups be the sausage took up a bunch of room. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. The prosciutto crisps up and is super salty. It's easy to make a bunch in advance and I've been nuking for 30 sec for leftovers. You may want to try!

Just say down w lunch...tvo meat, onions, peppers, salsa, avocado and lots of jalapeños!! Hoping to avoid that 4 o'clock craving...I think mine is mental. Good luck today!!

I'm totally with Lees96 - I've got to get something figured out for my coffee.  I just can't do black and I LOVE coffee.  Aside from that I"m just hanging in there.  I've really got to learn more - I mean I had corn on the cobb last night and now I think you can't have that :( 

I bought the book and am waiting for it to come in the mail.  This Paleo is kinda hard!  Good to read all your good food ideas - gives me some inspiration.  Dinner wasn't all bad - aside from the corn I had grilled salmon and zucchinni - delish!

kdegar - bless you!! I thought prosciutto wasn't Whole30 approved (I think because of sulfites or something), but after you said that I looked on the Can I Have board and it looks like Trader Joe's and other brands are fine. Woohoo! I may start doing some frittatas, with or without the cup - it's definitely way quicker than what I've been doing.

caseydimples - yeah, sadly corn is a grain, so it's out. Which sucks - where I live we're in the middle of corn season and it's at its best! The book will help a lot with the details, and it's a pretty fast read (especially if you skip the "science-y" chapters and go straight to "what to eat" - I love the sciencey stuff, and it helps me to know why I'm doing what I'm doing, but if it's not your thing they give you permission to skip it and trust them!).

In the meantime, have you looked at these pages? They might help if there's anything else you're not sure about.

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/

http://whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

I'm not a coffee drinker anyway, but I have been missing my tea (I usually drink black with just a tiny bit of agave, so that's out). This morning I found some vanilla-infused black tea in my cabinet that I'd totally forgotten about, so I didn't need any sweetener. That was a happy discovery.

I SURVIVED! I almost cried tears of joy when I found a menu item that was beyond compatable with the whole 30 regulations. I had what they called an emperor's salad and it was a garden salad with grapefruit, avocado, asparagus, english cucumber and they also had some onion and radish garnish as well. I proceeded to order this with the request of no soup, no brown rice on the side, and also requested oil and vinegar for my dressing which I then took an extra step to ensure it was balsamic vinegar and a compatible oil which it was! WOO HOO! 

It was amazing and definitly more than whole30 compatible. I'm so freaking proud of myself! Yay for surviving my first restaurant attack! Day 4 has been SUPER so far! :D

I prepped all my food for today cause I knew I would be off-site for work... brought in Subway for lunch and I gave in.  (Even had a coke too! so i have to start over with my caffeine as well).  

Sigh. 

Tomorrow is another day ... to be awesome. 

Wow!  Great stuff today everybody!  Amazing!  I think we are doing great so far.  Dubyawife - I am so with you.  You have a great attitude and tomorrow is another day!  Hurray for Hailey!!!!  Restaurants are SO hard for me.  You did an awesome job today finding the right choices on the menu.  That is not easy to do and I am so glad that you told us all about it.  It is inspiring.  I am definitely going to share my first restaurant outing with y'all. (That's for you Hailey - I think you are in Texas)

Today went good for me.  I tracked down some coconut cream so I am very excited to try that tomorrow morning with my coffee.  I will report back.  I had some unsulpherized mango today for my afternoon snack.  It was very good and I surprisingly did not want to eat the whole container.  

The whole snacking thing I can relate to.  I have weird triggers.   One is the C stores.  I seem to think that every time I stop at a C store I have to get a snack.  But I must admit that I have a 4ish type of thing as well.  Before Paleo, I would eat while I was starting dinner.  I would eat chips and hummus or chips and salsa or some type of salty snack.  I think part of it is brain stuff.  Not really sure.  Maybe an expert will comment on this for us.  (hint, hint)

Just made garbage chili for my husband and I - ground beef, onions, garlic, celery, yellow and green bell pepper, kale and broccoli and a can of diced tomatoes with lots of spicy spices & topped with half an avocado.  It was great.  Looking forward to having it with my eggs tomorrow morning.  I think I am only going to tackle 3 eggs instead of 4.

BTW - Is anyone else tempted to weigh themselves?  I weighed myself the first day but that is it.  When I  do something like this, I have always weighed myself in the past for inspiration.  I know they say not to weigh at all until Whole 30 is over.  Just wondering if anyone else is tempted...?

Great job 7/29s!  Keep on keepin' on!

Jents103--don't know if y'all have bi-lo but mine carries ok prosciutto...although I like the applegate farms the best! Dinner was left over chicken with cucumber and tomato salad. I ended up snacking on some raspberries that I sprinkled with coca powder. I'm trying the cocoa/coffee beef tomorrow :).

Lees96--thanks for all of the cheer leading! It's so nice to see so many encouraging words from Everybody! I am like you and a, tempted to weigh myself. My compromise has been to take a picture at the beginning of each week so I can (hopefully) see my progress.

Question...is anyone's skin breaking out now? Mine seems to be all out of whack all of a sudden. :/

Question...is anyone's skin breaking out now? Mine seems to be all out of whack all of a sudden. :/

Yes, today I noticed a few zits on my face and I really don't get acne.  I kept thinking if there was something new I was using and I couldn't come up with anything.  Interesting....

I have to tell you guys the funniest/saddest thing.

This afternoon I was having major withdrawal symptoms--not sure from what but it felt as though I gave up coffee, which I didn't. My head began to hurt and I tried to treat it by drinking lots of water and staying well fed. It got to the point this evening that it was throbbing and I could not function, not an option as the mother of 8 year old twins. So I decided I was going to take a couple of Motrin but couldn't find it anywhere. In absolute desparation, I chugged a couple of teaspoons of Children's Motrin. You know what's in that to make it taste good? Sugar. <sigh> Back to Day 1 tomorrow. Who would have thought that children's medicine would be my downfall and that was after resisting the temptations of corn chips and queso dip. ;)

I keep stuffing my face with fruit..literally the past two days I can't get enough. I need to learn to have better self control. I'm going to aim for only 1 serving of fruit a day for the rest of the days I have left and same with nuts! I've been so stressed about getting ready to move back to school that I let myself mindlessly reach into the bowl of blueberries or nuts or even dried fruits. It's so aggravating. Granted, it's better that it's fruit/nuts versus anything non-whole30 compliant but still. Ugh. It doesn't help that a lot of my favorites are in season right now either. The good news is that with me moving into my new house friday, my pantry will be empty so when I go to stock up for my first round of food, I'm going to limit my fruit purchases and not allow myself to buy any dried fruits at all. Raisins are danger to keep around the house! :wacko:  It's hard right now because I'm living with my parents and they have all the fruits you can imagine constantly lying around. Plus school will keep my mind busy so I don't just eat from sheer boredom. Two more days of this madness and hopefully I can tame the fruit and nut monster that has consumed my brain! 

Sorry for the slight rant, it helps to type it out so I can go back and see it and control the sugar cravings. So tomorrow which is Day 5 for me I am going to begin the process of a severe fruit detox! Haha never thought I would hear myself say those words considering it used to be peanut butter that was my "drug" of choice. My oh my how things change! 

I keep stuffing my face with fruit..literally the past two days I can't get enough. I need to learn to have better self control. I'm going to aim for only 1 serving of fruit a day for the rest of the days I have left and same with nuts! I've been so stressed about getting ready to move back to school that I let myself mindlessly reach into the bowl of blueberries or nuts or even dried fruits. It's so aggravating. Granted, it's better that it's fruit/nuts versus anything non-whole30 compliant but still. Ugh. It doesn't help that a lot of my favorites are in season right now either. The good news is that with me moving into my new house friday, my pantry will be empty so when I go to stock up for my first round of food, I'm going to limit my fruit purchases and not allow myself to buy any dried fruits at all. Raisins are danger to keep around the house! :wacko: It's hard right now because I'm living with my parents and they have all the fruits you can imagine constantly lying around. Plus school will keep my mind busy so I don't just eat from sheer boredom. Two more days of this madness and hopefully I can tame the fruit and nut monster that has consumed my brain!

Sorry for the slight rant, it helps to type it out so I can go back and see it and control the sugar cravings. So tomorrow which is Day 5 for me I am going to begin the process of a severe fruit detox! Haha never thought I would hear myself say those words considering it used to be peanut butter that was my "drug" of choice. My oh my how things change!

Are you eating because you're hungry, or is it mindless? Really listen to your body - if you're eating enough at meals (your breakfast sounded light on in fats) you'll probably find you don't need the fruit....freeze the blueberries! Save them for when they aren't in season :)

Day 3 was pretty good. Homemade sausage and an egg with some sauteed kale for breakfast. But after reading further I see I need to add another egg and another serving of veggies.

I opted out of grilling this evening. I walked out there to light the Green Egg and felt the need for a beer. I love to sit outside in the evenings, prepping and cooking everything while enjoying the outdoors...but its usually better with a beer, and my fear this evening was that I would cave, so I came in the house and had some smoked turkey I made and put in the freezer a couple of weeks ago. Paired with kale chips, cucumber and some saluted yellow squash...disaster averted

I also sprinkled dill on my salad today. Dressed it with olive oil and was pleasantly surprised.

Archived