Starting July 29th

kdegar

Question...is anyone's skin breaking out now? Mine seems to be all out of whack all of a sudden. :/

Yes, today I noticed a few zits on my face and I really don't get acne.  I kept thinking if there was something new I was using and I couldn't come up with anything.  Interesting....

Oh, and me too! A nice addition to the facial landscape! Mountainous!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lees96. I was bad and got on the scale this morning at the gym. ..2 pounds down!! I know this could be water fluctuating but definitely gave me some motivation this morning!!! breakfast was a frittata w sausage tomato and spinach. Work is supplying lunch today so I've really got to stick with it! Good luck today ladies

Kdegar - Congrats on 2 pounds down!!  I have always weighed myself in the past when doing this and it has been motivating. And good luck with lunch from work today...You can do it!!! 

Having my coffee with cinnamon and coconut cream.  I had high hopes, people, high hopes.  It's ok.  It's better then black coffee but not great.  It's really oily which is surprising.  The cinnamon is a nice touch. 

Breakfast is chili and 3 eggs with avocado on top.  

Have a great day 1, 4 and 5 today everybody!!!

So, today is my day 10. I've been doing pretty well up until yesterday. And it's not that I cheated, it's that I felt depleted. I've been doing Insanity 4 days a week with my hubby and it's been really good. After the first 5 or 6 days I was actually feeling lighter in my shoes and stronger overall. But yesterday I just felt blah. It may be that TOM got here on Monday and is still hanging around. Today I woke up with cramps and feel kinda tired all over. I may not have had enough fats (or food in general) yesterday to sustain me. I've noticed I'm not eating as much as I was in the beginning. Mostly because I forget!! How weird is that? The urge to snack in between has really diminished since I started. I'm hoping that this is just a temporary feeling and it will go away if I load up on some solid foods today. This morning I'm starting with a couple of eggs paired with the ratatouille I made in my crockpot the other day. And maybe some avocado, too. Yum!!

Have I mentioned my latest awesome go-to food yet?? If you haven't tried spaghetti squash yet, you've got to go pick one up and give it a try!! I watched a YouTube video the other day to learn what to do with one and discovered it's the easiest thing in the world to do! And I made one whole one, which is quite a bit of squash, and had plenty to store in the fridge. I am IN LOVE with this veggie!! If you are having a pasta or carb craving, this little veggie is a wonderful substitute! Now I can make stir fry for my family, make rice for them and use spaghetti squash for me. I made spaghetti with meat sauce the other night and piled the sauce on top of a big mound of the squash and it was heavenly! Here's the video I watched to learn how to prepare the squash...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPFErHz6zOM

I hope y'all enjoy and explore!

Good luck to everyone today!! 

Oh, and the scale thing? I admit, I'm a daily scale watcher. I find it gives me motivation and keeps me honest with myself. When I don't get on the scale, I tend to lie to myself more and let things go. But the scale tells me the truth. And it helps me track what things make me retain water and what times of the month my water retention is fluctuating up, etc. When I don't check for long periods of time, I usually gain. I didn't have a battery in my scale for a couple of months and didn't check only to discover, once I replaced the battery, that I had "accidentally" gained 5 pounds. So, yes, I'm cheating on that issue. I've been doing it daily for years. It's a hard habit to break and I'm not sure I want to. I'm steadily losing. It's not a lot, but it's enough. 

HI 7/29's

I'm hanging in on Day 4.  I'm doing ok, but I have to say that I am already sick of eggs.  I have been having 2 hardboiled eggs in the morning.  I tend to eat on the go for breakfast so this seems to be the easiest option.  Any other suggestions?

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the recipes!

Ditto on the acne, y'all - it's not terrible, but it is annoying! I'm choosing to look at it as physical evidence of the bad stuff getting out. :)

Today I went wild and crazy and scrambled my ground beef in WITH my eggs. I know. Look at me going off the rails with creativity. ;) It definitely helped, though. I also made some coffee with breakfast - I think hearing everyone talk about it made me want some! It's pretty good. I keep some on hand for guests, and had a light roast from a local roaster, so I think it's not as bitter as a darker roast.

Also having some delicious tiny grapes I got in my CSA box yesterday. Have a great day 4, everyone!

Day 3 dinner was just Blah last night. I made Zucchini noodles, which were gobbled up by the kids and the better half, but by the time I went to eat, I was so BLAH about eating. I was slightly hungry, but not like ravenous, but I had a good serving of that and some Sardines (with mustard). Its not like it was an AWFUL dinner, but I just wasn't feeling very cheery about it.  But it wasnt like I wanted anything else... I just did want anything. Weird.... but the Z noodles were a hit, just stirfried them in my wok with some fresh garlic!

I am happy to say that I got up as soon as my alarm went off at 540 this morning, was planning for a run. But it was raining very hard and I am still suppossed to keep my toe dry, so no run for me. But I was pretty awake for that time of morning, so maybe I am sleeping better.

I was excited for breakfast this morning! Had three eggs over easy with some avocado! I got the yolks to just be the right amount of done. Took extra care with the salt and peppeing of them and really enjoyed them. I also enjoyed my half of banana, so maybe last nights BLAH was just a fluke?

Yesterday,I did have a "snack attack" around 4:30, so I ate a hard boiled egg and some olives... was good. I then headed out for a light run, in which I felt great and ran pretty hard.... magic snack, maybe?

Lunch is a grab bag of baked broc with spices, sliced red pepper (raw), and some hard boiled eggs. I am so glad I boiled some the other night, makes it easy to grab and go. I think I might cook some turkey bruger up and have it in the fridge ready to go.

Keep up the good work! And to those folks who had a small missteps, or honest mistakes... Today is the new day! You can do it!

Kdegar - Congrats on 2 pounds down!!  I have always weighed myself in the past when doing this and it has been motivating. And good luck with lunch from work today...You can do it!!! 

Having my coffee with cinnamon and coconut cream.  I had high hopes, people, high hopes.  It's ok.  It's better then black coffee but not great.  It's really oily which is surprising.  The cinnamon is a nice touch. 

Breakfast is chili and 3 eggs with avocado on top.  

Have a great day 1, 4 and 5 today everybody!!!

Before my Whole30 I would have something called Bulletproof coffee for breakfast. Coffee, butter, coconut oil, cinnamon and cayenne pepper, into my magic bullet for a spin and BOOM practically a latte! Seems like you could do the same with coconut cream, the blending emulsifies it so it's not greasy. Good luck.

Before my Whole30 I would have something called Bulletproof coffee for breakfast. Coffee, butter, coconut oil, cinnamon and cayenne pepper, into my magic bullet for a spin and BOOM practically a latte! Seems like you could do the same with coconut cream, the blending emulsifies it so it's not greasy. Good luck.

You can use ghee in place of butter...I wasn't a fan of the taste though! Prefer CO or coconut butter whizzed in :)

DubyaWife- a lot of the stuff I have seen on these boards and reading around the site, it seems that the genrall idea is to eat enough at each of our three meals to keep us completely full until the next meal. I think if we have a snack, to make sure it is a combo of protein and healthy fats. I know that pre and post WO snacks are a must and are in addition to the regular meals.  Maybe one of the veterns can commment also?

DubyaWife, I read somewhere that if you're genuinely really hungry between meals, especially this first week or so, to go ahead and snack - all the food you're eating is healthy. The goal is to not need to eventually, but at least for me, I was SO hungry the first couple of days! Monday I held out because I knew I'd have a relatively early dinner, but Tuesday I had a few cashews in the afternoon and it helped a lot. Yesterday I added the same number of cashews to my lunch and held out till dinner just fine - not sure if that's due to the cashews (my lunch was pretty low on fat otherwise) or just things getting regulated.

Anyone else experiencing the "Kill ALL the Things" feeling? I didn't think I was having the Day 4 mood swings until I was beyond annoyed with the people in front of me in line for the salad bar because they were moving slow.

Lauren - YES! I didn't know if it was Whole30 Day 4 or if it was just all my least favorite things at work happening, but yes. I actually yelled at my iPod earlier. Maybe I should have had my sweet potato at breakfast...

I'm going to a friend's house for dinner (bringing my own though) - I'm going to have to work this out before I get over there or I won't be very good company!

Lees. Definitely make sure to stir the milk really well before you add it and thn drink it in a timely manner (mine started to separate...yuck).

I made it through lunch without eating the honeybaked ham sandwiches. I had guacamole and carrots until I could get home and have a chicken breast and the rest of the cucumber tomato salad.

That's exciting! I tried to make some on Sunday but definitely burned it. (I thought all the milk solids were supposed to turn brown, but that is not right!) I had friends tell me to make gumbo or brown butter cookies with it. Not helpful. :)

Lauren and Jent....YES!!!!!  You know, yesterday I just wasn't feeling the way that everyone was saying I was feeling on Day 3...But today...HOLY CRAP!  I am so on edge!!!!!!!!  And I have to work tonight with the public...HELP!!!!!!  I bit my Mom and my daughter's heads off today.  I am going to eat now.

As far as snacking.  I would really like to get to the point where I don't snack because I don't think I am really doing it right.  I usually have an apple with almonds or cashews, or a banana with some nuts.  I figure it's a heck of a lot better then my run through Taco Bell or getting a couple of donuts at the C store.  But, I would like to not be a snacker.

My Mom has a full length mirror at her house and I caught a long glimpse of myself in it today.  I try to avoid them at all costs.  It was very discouraging.  That is all I am going to say about that.

I have to work tonight and I work as a bartender at a golf course where we do a ton of banquets.  I ALWAYS eat the banquet food and really look forward to it.  Wish me luck tonight.  I am hoping to get full on the right food before I head in so it isn't even tempting.  Hope everyone is making it through Day 4 ok.  It's kind of a tough one today.  can you tell I'm not so cheerleaderey today?

Day 5 has been going pretty good so far! I actually managed to not eat fruit with my breakfast and substituted Brussels sprouts instead. I had those with a egg/egg white scramble with kale and lean ground turkey in coconut oil. It was delicious and left me full! Lunch was whole 30 approved jerk chicken compliments of my father, he was a little peeved to leave out the standard sugar and soy in jerk chicken but I ended up convincing him and you couldn't even tell those ingredients were missing! I paired that with some guacamole and a frozen banana which is my only allowed fruit serving of the day! Dinner is planned to be tilapia and eating up whatever veggies are mine in the fridge before my big move tomorrow.

Keep it up everyone... this has been a tough day for me... I feel like I could snap at any moment and I am not enjoying this feeling at all. I know it is just the nature of the beast... BUT it is tough. I wasnt going to post anything about it, but I figured maybe some of you were feeling this way too and we can share in the misery... love company, right? 

At least I haven't had any frustrating calls today. I am an epidemiologist and spend a good part of my day interviewing folks about their illnesses, so it can be very trying... small favors today. I have, though, managed to have two phone conversations with my better hlaf today, both of which ended with me feeling very irritated and frustrated, then guilty, for feeling bad... I am like on a serious crazy train right now... remove all sharp objects out of my reach!

Lees, I felt better after lunch - I hope you did too! And good luck tonight!

Madscience, I was not expecting to run into any other public health people here (though I guess it's not that surprising) - I'm a biostatistician! Wild.

Anybody have any excellent recipes they've used? I'm thinking about next week already (have to plan ahead, since I'll be out of town this weekend) and am seriously devoid of inspiration. Plus I'm a picky eater. Not a good combo! I have Well Fed and have had chocolate chili all week, did the carnitas a few weeks ago, did her gyro salad last week. I got a sirloin from my CSA yesterday, so I'll be doing something with that.

Guys, we are all going to be okay. I'm pretty sure. I have a really good friend who's done two of these so I think it works out in the end. :)

Archived