Starting July 29th

kdegar

Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself - I also started on July 29 and I have to say Day 4 has been rough for me.

I am nursing a 2 month-old and I have a 2 year-old as well, so sleep is not near what it should be. I woke up this morning just feeling terrible. Hot, dizzy, and really weak and light-headed. I thought I was going to pass out in the shower so I came downstairs and had an egg and a banana with almond butter. Not sure if that was the right move or not but I just felt like my blood sugar was really low and I needed something to bring it up. Took a 20 min power nap this afternoon while the baby was napping and feel a little better but this has definitely been a hard day. Looking forward to that awesome feeling we're all supposed to get!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself - I also started on July 29 and I have to say Day 4 has been rough for me.

I am nursing a 2 month-old and I have a 2 year-old as well, so sleep is not near what it should be. I woke up this morning just feeling terrible. Hot, dizzy, and really weak and light-headed. I thought I was going to pass out in the shower so I came downstairs and had an egg and a banana with almond butter. Not sure if that was the right move or not but I just felt like my blood sugar was really low and I needed something to bring it up. Took a 20 min power nap this afternoon while the baby was napping and feel a little better but this has definitely been a hard day. Looking forward to that awesome feeling we're all supposed to get!

aftertwo, what have you been eating? have you been eating to the template, including protein/fat/vegies at every meal (including mini meals) and also including starchy carbs? you should be eating more as a BF mum - the first few days are hard, and I think most people feel like rubbish.....eating properly makes a world of difference!

Welp..I made an uh-oh and have to start over. *sigh* :( I munched on some craisins and didn't notice they had added sugar until after the fact. I'm so sad. But this came at a good time, I have a big move tomorrow so focusing on whole 30 would have been put on the back burner for quite some time so I'm going to start over once I get settled into my new home and have the time to dedicate myself 100%! Best wishes to you all! <3 ill be back! Until then, I'm sticking to my Paleo ways!

Hey everyone,

I will agree today was a little edgy. Probably not the best day as I was working registration at my school! I'm dealing with a lot of cravings, random things too. I want CRUNCHY! I'm confident I can do this...but some points in the day are hard--typically late afternoon I find myself opening my cabinets looking for stuff I shouldn't eat.

Welcome aftertwo---I completely understand! I have an 8month old who's still not sleeping through the night and a 26 month old. I'm hoping after this first week that energy will kick in and it will get better!

Not feeling crazy, but just here today....maybe overwhelmed, work is blowing up and I'm having trouble figuring out what needs to be done first. A focus issue I think.

Meal 3 was pretty great I grilled steak, peppers and onion with some fajita seasoning (emailed the company last night to make sure there wasn't anything hinky in the seasoning blend). Sliced the steak and put it all on a bed of greens. Last I added a whole avacado of guacamole.I cocouldn't eat it all, which means tomorrow's first meal is already halfway fixed!

Hang in everyone, the train will be leaving crazy town soon! I just keep telling myself, "one thing at a time".

Jent- how cool... Yes I am actually a biochemist who moved from the lab into infectious disease epidemiology... it is a lot of fun and I love my job! Biostats is a way cool profession! 

Thanks for the support, I just was having a tough day, but I think I may have pulled myself out of the funk a little. I got sidetracked off my normal run, and the trail I was going to use was underwater, so I only got in about 2 miles before my feet were getting too wet for my toe that is healing. I did make some grilled chicken broccoli and sliced peppers for dinner. i grilled my chicken up after marinating in some balsamic vinegar. Way Quiet good and I was very excited about tonite's dinner. I am roasting some sweet potato that I cut up, so am going to try have a little of that with my breakfast and see if that doesn't help keep my good mood tonight. Seriously, I feel like I did a complete 180 with how I was feeling earlier... sharp objects can be around me again... for now!

Haley- we will miss you... but you are probably right, better to come back when you arent going in so many directions.

Aftertwo- Welcome!

Sisaacson- what fajita mix was it? that salad sounds amazing!

Great job today guys! 

Biostats is a way cool profession!

That may be the first time anyone's said that to me - normally I get glazed looks! :)

I'm glad some of our days are turning around! I took a quick walk around campus late this afternoon and the vitamin D seemed to help. My office is basically underground - I have to check online to know if it's raining - so it was good to get out of there.

Haley, sorry about the craisins - those are sneaky! But restarting after the move sounds like it's a great idea.

Mscience, It came from a place called All Spice Culinarium in Des Moines, IA, very neat place....I've used their online store before, but haven't been to it in over a year, I just stop by their shop when I get there. Its a fun place to spend an hour or so. Things seems pretty straight forward ingrediants-wise but I still wanted to ask to make sure. They have a lot of infused oils too, it will be something I ask about next time I go. Some infused olive oils would be a nice cooking tool.

I was really excited about my dinner, I used to do it with cheese, store bought salsa and sour cream instead of guacamole and I didn't really miss the other stuff. Think I'll add a tiny more kick to it for tomorrow morning. A whole lot of flavor going on for sure.

Glad your day turned around, avoiding sharp objects and needing to cook is no way to live!

Is there a way to post pics in this format?

Thanks for the welcome guys! Well I made it through the day and have to agree about the crunchy comment - I am definitely missing that. Had a few macadamia nuts tonight and that helped.

Amberino - I'm definitely following the template and trying to eat more starchy carbs but have to admit I need to get to the grocery store. I made the salmon cakes from ISWF tonight and they were fantastic. Will be making those again for sure. I think I need to add a later evening mini meal since I am still up a couple of times a night nursing. I get nervous about adding too many calories but I can tell my body definitely needs them.

Thanks for the welcome guys! Well I made it through the day and have to agree about the crunchy comment - I am definitely missing that. Had a few macadamia nuts tonight and that helped.

Amberino - I'm definitely following the template and trying to eat more starchy carbs but have to admit I need to get to the grocery store. I made the salmon cakes from ISWF tonight and they were fantastic. Will be making those again for sure. I think I need to add a later evening mini meal since I am still up a couple of times a night nursing. I get nervous about adding too many calories but I can tell my body definitely needs them.

Sugar snap peas are a great crunch snack!

Okay this morning was a GOOD morning. I mixed in some baked sweet potato chunks with my eggs this morning and YUM! I am not feeling nearly as cranky as I was yesterday, hoping this lasts. Am still a little tired this morning, but not nearly as drop down, beat down, as I normally am on a Friday.

Have some Balsamic grilled chicken leftovers for lunch with some sweet potato and spicy baked broccoli.

My biggest "life saver" this week was my hard boiled egg/olives. It has been a great per or post workout snack and very satisfying.

Hope everyone's day 5 is going well!!!!

Good Friday morning, everyone! I hope you are all off to a great start today! 

Amberino - You're right about the scale. Of course it's out! My hubby steps on it daily, as well. Guess it's time to put it away...for now, anyway. 

Yesterday was such a weird day. TOM was really making me feel uncomfortable for the first part of the day. I felt weak and depleted. But after a hearty breakfast of eggs paired with ratatoille I felt better. Lunch was a fabulous chicken stir-fry in lettuce wraps!! I whipped that up really fast and it ended up being awesome! I put shredded cabbage, spaghetti squash, bean sprouts, mushrooms and onions with some garlic and chicken thigh. Then I really felt better!

My girlfriends decided to stop by my house after work to have a cocktail or two. I abstained, of course, but then one decided to order pizza from Pizza Hut, too. I despise Pizza Hut. So, they all had some pizza and margaritas and wine while I enjoyed a Banana Bowl (I love these! Great pre-workout "meal") and my water. I'm very proud of my resolve while they did all of this right in front of me!! 

Then, at the end of the night, after I'd gotten ready for bed, I realized I hadn't actually eaten dinner!! I warmed up a small cup of ratatouille and called it good. And I was!! I'm telling you, the hunger is really subsiding. Now, when my tummy growls at me, I know I'm actually hungry not just craving some random something or other I shouldn't have.

I think for you guys who are having mood swings, or maybe headaches or not feeling as good, some of that might be the withdrawal phase. I had a headache for several days while I got off of sugar. But I had already been off of wheat and dairy for a couple of years. Some of you may be having issues with some of the other things that are your regular vices. Once you get past those days of detox, you will feel better. And that's when the healing can begin!! Yay!! So, hang in there everybody!!

Here's to a fantastic day 5 for everyone!! I'm kicking off my day 11 today. TGIF!!!

Great Job WriterGirl!

So excited because my Ghee is coming today and I have some nice skillet steaks I want to cook in the Ghee. I am thinking about trying a pork shoulder carnitas recipe I found on the Foodee project for Sunday, I will report back.

Good morning, everyone!  Happy Day 5 and 11!

I want to comment on everything...i hope I remember.  

Hailey - best of luck on your move and,yes, I think waiting until the move to get settled and really do this is a great idea.  

aftertwo - welcome and HOLY CRAP!  I remember those days.  I used to get SO, SO hungry when I was breast feeding.  So, I really admire you for eating this way right away.  Nice to have you with us.

I had an ok day yesterday.  I don't think I ate nearly enough protein.  But I was not tempted at work at all!  That is huge.  I am already starting to feel less hungry.  I used to get such huge hunger pains in my old way of eating but I'm not having those anymore.  That is nice.  I didn't bite anyone's head off last night either which is good. 

I feel much better this morning.  Woke up and did my coffee how everyone suggested.  I don't have a bullet but I have something kind of like it and that helped.  It was better :D Made sweet potato hash, eggs and sausage for my daughter and I.  SO YUMMY!!!!  That hash is my new favorite thing ever.  She wants to eat what I eat so how cool is that to be eating healthy stuff instead of crap.  

We are getting there, people!  Have a great day everyone!

BTW - I have not stepped on the scale.  I really want to but I'm not.  Also...what is a banana bowl?  That sounds really good whatever that is  :P

colandlala - yes, you just shred a raw sweet potato. Melt some coconut oil in a pan and put the shredded sweet potato in the pan.  Just keep turning it until it is cooked.  SO GOOD!!! I even added some red onion and that was amazing.  The coffee:  I use coconut cream (you have to lop off a chunk and melt it in hot water - I add a little cinnamon to it) Then I put it in a little cuisinart type thing - some have used the magic bullet but I don't have one of those. And it was good.  Better than black coffee.  But you do have to drink it up pretty quick otherwise it does separate.  enjoy :D

I'm intrigued by this banana bowl too! colandlala, if you feel better with a recipe, NomNom Paleo has one for sweet potato hash. And MadscienceM, have you seen the Well Fed recipe for citrus carnitas? They are SO good. I drizzled her sunshine sauce on some of them and that's great too.

Lees, I'm so glad work went well! That's awesome!

Breakfast was kind of rough today, but at least that ground beef is about used up. I got some chicken & apple sausages today for next week's breakfasts, so I think that will be better, and I'm going to try roasting sweet potatoes this weekend instead of the hash. A valuable lesson I've learned this week: Even if your classic roast chicken looks gorgeous and is absolutely delicious on day 1, you will be sick of it by the time it's done!

I got an insulated lunch bag to put proteins and mayo in for my trip this weekend. Have y'all tried to find compliant deli meat? It is near impossible. I looked at every brand at Costco and Target today with no luck. I found one pack of Applegate Farms roast beef at Trader Joe's that's all right - I'm hoping some of the TJ brand will be okay when I go later.

Bonuses of today so far: I haven't wanted to scream at anyone :) and I discovered that my black tea tastes fine without sweetener. Score.

Jent, those look amazing!!!! I found a recipe where I can crockpot them , then take them out and crisp them in their juices in the oven.... HAVE to try that SUNSHINE sauce!

My day 5 is GREAT compared to 2-3 (1 was okay because I was in that euphoric zone, where everything was all rainbows and unicorns pooping skittles, before the crazy train came).

I tried sweet potato with my eggs today and was FULL until after 1pm. And it is 3 and I do not have the cravings yet, or the headache... or the desire to kick something. Score! I don't want to get too excited, in case tomorrow is a bummer day, but I am happy to be enjoying this good vibe day.

Lees/Jent- thanks for the potato hash ideas, I just roasted some chunks last night and had them today... but am looking forward to the Hash!

1. kdegar - crunchy - i found a recipe from nom nom paleo a while back that TOTALLY satisfies that crunchy!  I think it was nom nom paleo - called porkitos.  it's one ingredient.  prosciutto - you basically bake it till it gets crispy!  it's an AWESOME snack.

1. where are you all finding sausage taht doesn't have added sugar?  I finally found one, at Walmart if you can believe it, that didnt have nitrates or other weird-o stuff.  I know i can order bacon from us wellness meats & have done that in the past - but i was hoping to be able to actually just go get a package of something once in a while - instead of 75 pounds worth of stuff!

I havent gone searching for sausage yet, but was going to go to the local "chop shop" and get some there... they will make it to order.

I just had, what I consider, very substantial evidence that my mood is improving.... Had a question/situation from a coworker that Insists on just walking into my office, no knock, not even with the door closed, pushes open and speaks... is like a huge GRR factor for me.... but just now, I wasnt GRR... just took it in stride.... DAy 5 you are a winner so far!

• kdegar - crunchy - i found a recipe from nom nom paleo a while back that TOTALLY satisfies that crunchy!  I think it was nom nom paleo - called porkitos.  it's one ingredient.  prosciutto - you basically bake it till it gets crispy!  it's an AWESOME snack.
  •  

Yummy! I love prosciutto so I will be sure to add this in! I tried the cocoa/coffee brisket last night....unfortunately, not a fan. Making oven baked fajitas tonight and looking forward to it! Starting to not feel so cranky and having less cravings. But I'm starting to get reaallly bored with water. I've done lemon and lime slices, any other suggestions?

Hi everyone! Day 5 is so much better so far! I am feeling pretty good and even attempted to get on the treadmill during naptime I have to say the workout was not stellar. I think I'll have to give it a few more days for my body to adjust before I attempt too much more. I am OUT of proteins so I need to get to the store ASAP. Last night I made a cobb salad with Paleo ranch and although it wasn't the best ranch I've ever had, I was pleasantly surprised and so was my husband.

Have to say I'm nervous about the weekend - we usually eat out more often on the weekends and I'm guessing we won't do that too much during our Whole30, but it would be nice to not have to cook/do dishes for a meal or two. Anyone have any suggestions for tried and true eating out strategies?

Kdegar - do you like iced tea? There's always that. Iced green tea is pretty tasty too!

Kdegar - maybe sparkling water? I've been chugging the Trader Joe's and La Croix lime ones. So refreshing!

threedts, this isn't actual sausage, but it's what I mixed my ground beef with for breakfast and it smells just like it to me. It's just a spice mix that you put in when you cook the meat. If it's the psychological sausage puck you're after, it would take some doing, but if you just want the flavors it's great!

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/04/07/spice-world/

Archived