Starting July 29th

kdegar

The sausage I found at a random market.  I checked all the ingredients and I think they made it there but it was all good.  No sugar or nitrates or sulfites or anything.  And they were tasty.

I love mineral water and popping open a can of LaCroix kind of feels like having a pop or a treat.

Heading to work tonight.  Wish me luck.  I just ate a ton (sausage with the sweet potato hash again).  So, I am hoping that I am not hungry at work.  There are always veggies to munch on there and olives (I'm a bartender) so I think I should be fine.  But, keep your Whole30 fingers crossed with me .

:)

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For sausage I buy plain ground pork. For breakfast sausage I add salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, fennel seed, dried thyme, dried rosemary, dried sage, granulated onion and granulated garlic. Mix it all in, cook a little piece and see if its what you're looking for. You can always add more, but you can't take it out. Salt is the primary risk of overdoing, so go easy on that to start.

I also make Italian sausage....spice shop has a Italian blend, so I'm not sure of everything, but I add the granulated garlic (more of this than the onion), granulated onion, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and fennel along with the blend.

I make up a bunch and divide it into smaller amounts....vacuum. seal and freeze. I try to get through a thawed package in 3 days for food safety.

I need to work on writing the amounts down....I'm an eyeballer.

Y'all, I just got home from a party where I had to pass up delicious red velvet cake. I can say no to a lot of sweets pretty easily, but this one made me real sad. But I did it! Now to slice veggies and pack for my trip...

Jent103 - Congratulations!  That is not easy.  Especailly something like red velvet. Oh my gosh, cake is SO hard for me.  Tonight at work there was a ton of wedding cake left over and I didn't go near it.  Yay!  I had one large piece of chicken with herbs on it around 9:30 or so.  I worked until almost 1 am so that was good for me to eat to get me thorough the rest of the night.  I was a lot more at ease tonight as well.  I think that icky time that was Day 4 has passed (I hope).  I was much more even tempered today.  

Here's to another day well done everyone.

Bring on Day 6!

I would like to introduce myself..

I am on day 7 today, this is my 3rd attempt at whole 30 (grr) The first time around I made it to day 16, the second time I made it to day 20 ( I was at a tournament and stuck in a home with 2 moms 4 dads and 13 teenager boys) It was impossible to cook dinner for everyone and stay within budget. After these 3 days.... I was in a fog for 3 days!! I couldn't wake up, I was beyond exhausted and my usual fix of coffee with espresso did not do the trick. During this time my eczema was COMPLETELY gone!!! I have had eczema since the 3rd grade and have been using steroids since then. 

After my 3 day cheat my eczema came back angry and worse and I am now noticing my open areas have finally healed. I lost inches and noticed my skin looked "healthy". I felt really good and I was able to wear shorts I had not been able to zip 3 weeks prior. I am now at the point where it's not an option for me at this point, I had great results and it was great to wear something I could before but its about feeling healthy.  (didn't mean for this to be soooo long)

Day 7; finally staring to feel better. The fog is over but I did have quite a bit of abdominal issues.. day 2-5, this was not my case prior. I have been referring to nomnompaleo.com to help me with meals. I searched whole 30 on her site and she has 2 whole 30 areas where she has listed all her meals for full 30 days.

I am fully committed to finish this whole 30!

Welcome to Gabenick2!

Rest of day 5 was awesome, ran 4.5 miles and felt good... Was in middle of making myself dinner with the Ghee I just got and had a Fire Call. I am a volunteer firefighter and Hazmat officer for one of the local stations. We got hit out for a Hazmat call , meaning my night was LONG! I then had an early morning this morning to paint at the dance studio where I take classes and also teach. I had a delicious breakfast of eggs and sweet potato with ghee. so good.

Can I just say, Where has Ghee been all my life. I cannot believe I have been wasting my life on regular butter for so long!!!!

Keep up the good work everyone... Day 6 is halfway done!

So finally feeling over the diary cravings (at least I hope!) Made a very small slip up today but not starting over. I was fixing my son a tube of Chobani yogurtand a little bit got on my finger. I licked it off without even thinking! Oops.... But feeling good otherwise! Still not quite up to my old self at the gym but I think I'll get there soon

Madscience, that is one exciting 12 hours!

Great work everyone! I'm on a road trip with friends. We stopped at Arby's for lunch and I skipped the curly fries in favor of my tuna salad and green pepper without much trouble (knowing that they'd be a grease bomb helps :)). We're going to a well known Italian place for dinner and that's going to be a lot harder. I looked at their menu and anything I could possibly have looks uninspiring (grilled chicken salad... woohoo). Everyone else is going to be eating pasta and it is going to be tough!

I did find some ghee at Trader Joe's last night! In mine it was right next to the coconut oil. I'm excited to get home and see what I can do!

I'm a traveling fool for the next week. At my sisters and they've had all kinds of sweets and stuff around, not a problem but when we made taco salads I had to leave the room while the cheese was out. I couldn't stand to see it! That orange color! I had to walk away. LOL!

Traveling to a regional meeting in a couple days and I'm nervous about the options. One of those hotel based conferences where every meal is a buffet. Standard lunch is always deli meats and CHEESE! Picked up a few things that will travel; nuts, freeze dried strawberries, jerky, going to pack some coconut oil. I know I'll make it through without bad stuff, but my concern is more about making sure I eat the amount I'm supposed to.

Hope you 29ers are hanging in....Day 6 nearly done.

I was VERY tempted to have a glass of wine while cooking dinner, it almost happened. I have several bottles stored away and I had left 2 on the counter. I used to always have a glass while cooking during the weekends. I made a whole chicken with a mixture of veggies I found in my kitchen.

Today is almost over!

So finally feeling over the diary cravings (at least I hope!) Made a very small slip up today but not starting over. I was fixing my son a tube of Chobani yogurtand a little bit got on my finger. I licked it off without even thinking! Oops.... But feeling good otherwise! Still not quite up to my old self at the gym but I think I'll get there soon

Perhaps consider doing a dairy reintro 30 days from now? You could reintro other things before that, but it would give you 30 days without dairy :)

Welcome to you Gabenick2!  Glad to have another Whole 30 on board.

OK, MadscienceM - I am with you on the ghee. I happened to be in the co-op today and there it was sitting on the shelf so I b ought it.  Holy cow!  So good.  I am excited to have it with my baked sweet taters and butternut and acorn squash.  Yay for ghee!

Jent103 - That is so tough.  Pasta is one of the hardest things for me to be around - That and pizza.  I love them so much.  I hope you made it through dinner ok.  I know it's tough when everyone is eating this amazing food and you have your chicken and salad, which we all know is amazing food because we won't feel like crap but still...it is tough.

I made it through another night at work tonight.  I was offered pizza AND cake AND a brownie with mint choc. chip ice cream and chocolate sauce over the top.  I opted for a chicken breast with steamed broccoli, raw almonds and half an apple.  I felt great.  i had a ton of energy tonight at work which I think is why I am still up writing this.  Last night I worked late as well and I woke up earlier than usual and got the girls up to go pick blueberries this morning.  But, I felt great.  I really did.  It was really amazed.  So, I don't know, maybe it is happening.

Yay, Day 6 is done.  Bring on Day 7.  Let's get through the weekend, people!

Does it not? I've never heard that! The only difference is the carbon dioxide - does it not hydrate because of that? It's sure refreshing.

Apparently anything with carbonation can dehydrate you. She said that I could have it but not to count it in my overall hydration.

I made it through another night at work tonight.  I was offered pizza AND cake AND a brownie with mint choc. chip ice cream and chocolate sauce over the top.  I opted for a chicken breast with steamed broccoli, raw almonds and half an apple.  I felt great.  i had a ton of energy tonight at work which I think is why I am still up writing this.  Last night I worked late as well and I woke up earlier than usual and got the girls up to go pick blueberries this morning.  But, I felt great.  I really did.  It was really amazed.  So, I don't know, maybe it is happening.

Yay, Day 6 is done.  Bring on Day 7.  Let's get through the weekend, people!

Wow Lees96! WAY TO GO! I'm impressed with your willpower!! I can't believe we are almost done with the first week. The first couple of days went by sooooo slow but now it's starting to seem "normal" to eat this way. I've finally gotten used to my coffee with coconut milk/cinnamon.

I'm hoping that my husband is seeing how great I feel and will maybe join me the next time I do this. He's eating all of my food and just adding in the other stuff.

I had sweet potato chunks with garlic, poached eggs, and porkitos last night for dinner. It was so YUMMY! Since my dear husband ate the rest of my prosciutto wrapped frittatas :(   I had the rest of my oven-baked fajitas for breakfast. Kindof weird having "dinner" for breakfast but really good anyways. Hoping to see a bit more energy today at the gym since I have my first spin class since I started. Happy day 7!

My only complaint with sparkling water is it doesn't go towards your overall water total. (learned that when I was pregnant) i do love la Croix

Apparently anything with carbonation can dehydrate you. She said that I could have it but not to count it in my overall hydration.

Actually, that's a myth.  Sparkling water is hydrating, it's caffeinated drinks that are not. http://www.ehow.com/about_5374247_sparkling-water-dehydrate.html#page=1

I'm so impressed with everyone's will power and kind, encouraging words. We've almost made it through the first weekend, which in my eyes will be the hardest part of the whole thing. I think for me resisting the alcohol has been the toughest aspect of the Whole30. I'm 24, and going out and having drinks with friends is something that happens everyday from Thursday-Sunday. And it's usually not only drinks, but barfood as well, and occasionally the late night pizza.... This weekend I've played it close to home so as not to tempt myself too much this early in the game. I think as the weeks go on and I'm more comfortable with this lifestyle and I have seen how much better I feel without eating/drinking crap, it will be easier to turn down the cocktails and junk food. Keep up the good work everyone; reading this forum has helped to encourage me and I can't wait to see how we all conquer days 7-30! Enjoy your Sunday and bring on week 2!

GF Chris - Thank you so much for the info on carbonated water.  I drink it all night at work.  It tastes so good because I constantly throw in fresh lemons and limes.  I do feel hydrated when I drink it but I had always wondered if it was in fact ok for hydration -So, thank you :)

Thanks, Kdegar, for your kind words.  My will power is really crappy around food normally.  I honestly think that a lot of it has to do with this forum.  I know that I have to report back to you guys and I don't want to let you down (ultimately not letting myself down) but I don't want to have to sit here in front of my blank "REPLY TO THIS TOPIC" and have to tell you all that I gave in to the pizza and cake.  I always give in to the pizza and cake.  It's what I do.  I want to do something different.  One of the things I have done differently this time around (because I have tried to do a Whole30 on my own a half dozen times over the past couple of years) is to be in discussion with others.  And to be accountable to others.  That accountability thing worked for me years ago when I quite drinking.  I have been sober now for 16 years and I think it has to do with being in community with others who understand and are going through the same things I am going through.  The same applies here.  I really think it is making all the difference in the world.

So, Lauren, as you can tell, alcohol is not a problem for me with the Whole30 but I know that a big part of young, social life is going out and having happy hour and having a couple drinks.  I guess it is the same with me and pizza and cake.  I see everyone eating it and I want to eat it but I know that it is not good for me and I know that, at the end of the day, I am going to have to report back to you all.

Wow!  There's a bit of a rant.  Ok, so doing good today.  Black coffee this morning.  One of my other favorite things on the planet is getting a donut (or two) at church on Sunday mornings.  I passed that by this morning and got a free banana instead.  So I had that with some raw almonds.  The girls and I stopped by the Farmer's Market after our berry picking yesterday and we got some summer squash, raspberries, leeks, shallots, cabbage and onions so today for lunch I sauteed some leeks and yellow squash in ghee then added leftover applegate uncured hot dogs and two eggs and a side of raspberries.  It tasted so good.  I am very happy.  

I can't believe my energy level.  I feel great and alert and awake.  I know some of that is caffeine but I know that most of that is not feeling bogged down with breads and sugar.   One week under our belts, peeps!  Let's finish it off great!  Have a great Day 7 and let's kick off our 2nd week of this thing with a bang!  I am so proud of everyone and so glad to be going through all of this with you.  I know that I couldn't do this without you.

Wow everyone is doing so great! I have to say last night I was definitely in the "Kill All the Things" head space. I was cranky that I couldn't go out to eat and have a cocktail and I didn't want to deal with cooking etc. Not to mention just thinking about all of the food prep I had to do today. I totally found myself thinking well, maybe this will just be a Whole 7.

BUT - I made it through and am feeling much better today. I just made a big batch of this Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup and it is great! Also made some chicken salad with homemade mayo for lunches this week, and we are going to a party this afternoon so I made mini BLT bites to take. Phew! This is a lot of work but feeling good today. We've almost made it one week through!

I was starving today for lunch, poor planing. Everyone else is eating subs and I am trying to put something together.

I had sliders, I mixed bacon with my seasoned meat, caramelized onions and made some guacamole. I find that I drink a lot of tea. What is the carbonated drink everyone is drinking, I need something to take the edge off.

I usually make a list of foods I want to make for the next 3 days, I cook it all in one day and store it in glass containers so I can warm it all up afterwards. I am having a hard time on the side dishes.

Almost another day down!!

Archived