Starting July 29th

kdegar

Hey everybody - Welcome to all the new people!  I am so glad you are here.  

Day 9 went awesome!  I had a banana and almonds for breakfast.  I packed a lunch because we did a trade show today.  My Boss had already bought by lunch ticket for hot dog, chips and pop but I told him I couldn't eat it - I had a little twinge of, ooohhh, I should just eat normal - but I didn't.  I brought 1/2 an avocado, Greek olives and salmon salad,  which I made with red onion and home made mayo - HOLY CRAP!!!!  I made home made mayo last night  -  Poeple, why are we buying it?  It was so easy and it is so good!!! Couldn't believe it. Then I had an apple and almonds for snack. For dinner I made mango salsa with avocado, mango, cilantro, lime juice, red onion and red bell pepper - so yummy.  I put that on top of 1/2 chicken breast and 1/2 pork chop.  I sauteed up beans from our garden in olive oil and we had a green salad.  All in all - a good day.

except - I've got the sugar cravings back.  I am really craving dessert tonight.  And I have been sluggish and tired and kind of checked out all day.  Which brings me to exercise.  I have not been exercising at all.  I like to run and lift weights and all that.  But i have been spread a little thin lately with work and running the kids around and helping my Mom that exercise has taken a back seat. I love exercising, so it's not that.  I listen to MadscienceM and Jent103 talking your exercising and it sounds great.   I really admire your exercise regimen.  

MadscienceM - That must be really tough with your stepkids.  I have been thinking about you a lot.  I don't have any experience with that but I just wanted you to know that you have been in my thoughts.  I wish you all the best with your upcoming wedding!  How fun and exciting!

OK - Hope everyone had a great day 9!  We are doing it, people.  We are doing it.

i'd say your sugar cravings would go away if you stuck to the template, and ate heaps of vegies - you'd probably be more energetic too.

sticking to the template will mean you always get plenty of protein and fats to keep you satisfied, and as vegetables are more nutrient dense than fruit, you'll stop your body looking for nutrients (which is what it's doing when you're craving things)

fruit & nuts isn't a decent breakfast - no protein or vegetables! you snacked on fruit and nuts as well - if you really need it, go for a mini meal instead!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Amberino21!  Yeah, I was just off yesterday and that was the first time that I didn't have protein and veggies for breakfast. Will not make that same mistake today.  Going to start my day with 3 eggs scrambled with shallots and broccoli and summer squash with a side of sweet potato hash.

Going to put carnitas in the crock pot for dinner tonight and am going to make the avocado dressing that Jent103 talked about.

Here's to # 10 folks...Let's rock it!!!!!!

Jent- Thanks, I beat myself up over it frequently when I skip a run or a workout, even tough I know its for a good reason.

Yesterday I was feeling bad, and just wasn't hungry. No vomiting or anything, but not feeling well at all. I left work early and went home and slept for like 4 hours, then headed to the dance studio to work. No teaching, but did work on some stuff for classes I am taching next week. I felt fine while dancing, even though I really didn't eat a thing yesterday except breakfast. I had this incredible amount of pain in my side and was not sure what it was due to (most ikely new food pattern casuing some bloat/gas issues). I took it easy last night and let everything rest. I am attempting a little protein and veg this morning to see if I am feeling better.

anyone else having any issues like this?

has anyone had the weird "food dreams" that they talked about in the "stages"?  I have been having them the last 3 days!  Weird weird food that I would never in a million years want!  Those crazy sugar covered gelly orang slices?  Why - why on earth would i dream about that!  And pretzels - i dont even really like them - unless they're covered in chocolate!  One thing I did at the very beginning of this - I made a TON of grilled chicken & roasted veggies.  Put them in lots of individual containers & stuck them in the freezer.  This has helped so many times when i get home & just DONT WANT TO COOK.  And i LOVE to cook.

Silky Zucchini soup is delish!  And Asparagus Avocado soup!  I made batches of that for the freezer too - My freezer is FULL FULL FULL!  I will say - I'm DYING for bacon - but...refuse to order from wellness meats till I need a bunch of meat & I just dont right now.

I may see if whole foods has any that don't have sugar.  has anyone found any in stores?

That's it for me today!  But I will say - this whole 30 is way easier than my last one in January!!  Love it!

OK - that is hilarious - those oranges with the sugar - very funny! I have had weird food dreams but non of the symptoms you are talking about, MadscienceM.  I mean, yesterday was really tough and I just felt off  and checked out but not sick.  I just had a huge breakfast with heaping veggies and 3 eggs and a little cup of blueberries so I am hoping that today is a better day.  I hope that today is a better day as well for you.  It seems like sometimes it goes day by day and each day is totally different.  Hang in there :D

OMG yes to the food dreams! I had a dream last night that I went off the rails with pizza and I had to text my husband and tell him. What?!? Here's to hoping this doesn't happen. Have you guys read the timeline they posted on the blog? Apparently you are most likely to quit on Days 10 and 11, so I want to say good luck to everyone over the next couple of days and thanks for continuing to post here. It's really helping me feel accountable.

So yesterday something weird happened, I started to get this weird itching around my lips in the afternoon like I was having a reaction to something I ate. I can't figure out what it was - I had a hard boiled egg for a snack and I've been eating a ton of those. For dinner we had salmon and asparagus, which is a regular around here, and a half a banana with some almond butter. I know nuts and eggs can be allergenic - is it possible I've been eating so much of those that I"m developing an allergy? Strange.

Anyway, good luck to everyone today!

Hey aftertwo - I totally see how people could give up at this time.  It's kind of ho-hum here we are in the middle of the whole30, nothing really exciting going on - so thanks so much for the cheerleading!!!!  It helps!!!  Have a great day.  

Okay it is lunch and I am STARVING now.... guess whatever was going on has worked itself out... I am thinking my system is just a little out of wack cause of the new eating... but I am feeling pretty good after eating some lunch!

I forgot to say I had a crazy food dream last night too.... I ended up eating a bunch of appetizer foods, like bagel bites, pizza rolls, etc... and my brain kept saying Don't do it, but I ate them anyways.... Crazy...

Thanks for the support, I was feeling really off yesterday, but did not have an urge to eat anything bad, which is good.

Keep it up for Day 10!!!  1/3 of the way through, don't let the "bad" food demons talk you out of eating compliant!

Another YES to the food dreams! I was all excited about sleeping in a little this morning (no boot camp), but somehow managed to set my alarm for 5 instead of 7. When I was jarred awake at 5 I'd been dreaming that I was inhaling a bunch of chocolate cake pops until I realized they were definitely not Whole30 and I was going to have to start over. (I also dreamed that my 22-month-old niece had grown to twice her actual size while her 4-year-old brother had become half his size. No idea what that's about!) It's kind of scary how accurate that timeline is.

Madscience, I've been having a little bit of digestion trouble too. Not terrible, but I just don't feel great. Hopefully we both have better days today! threedts, I haven't found any bacon (though I haven't looked hard), but maybe some prosciutto would help with that salt+fat desire? There are some compliant brands of prosciutto. I got mine at Trader Joe's.

I ate some avocado with my breakfast this morning - hoping it'll keep me full longer. I'm pretty sure I haven't been getting the ideal amount of good fat at meals, though I've been attempting. I don't really care for avocado on its own, so kind of had to choke it down, but I was definitely full after breakfast! I'm still so tired. I think it's more (or at least just as) related to not getting great sleep a couple of nights lately than the Whole30 on its own, but I'm worn out.

Hi 7/29's

Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm still sticking in there.  I can't stop thinking about this delicious fried dough sugary goodness treat I had on vacation 3 weeks ago.  It is haunting me.... I can't get it out of my mind.

They say Day 10 and 11 are when we are most likely to quit.  Let's not do that, OK?

Stay strong!

I'm  coming out of lurkdom to join you all.  (No longer paralyzed by what my user name should be!)  I'm one day behind you all, which is a fine place to be in my mind- you're giving me a peek around the corner! I have enjoyed reading the various joys, struggles and individual differences as you (we!) all complete this journey.  Yes, I said "complete!"

I have read about the W30 for over a year; considered it "a bit zealous," "so very hard line" and all that.. yet seriously considered starting last January.  I have never done anything approaching this, ever.   As I consider what kept me back, I think it primarily was my vision of "who I am" (e.g. "I'm someone who can run, bike, eat whatever I want and still maintain fitness and okay looks in this mid-century body- no need to cramp my style!  Besides, how could I really live without my daily - which really means several times a day- chocolate fix?"). 

THEN, by some sort of weird stroke of chance, I hopped onto the site on the 29th, and it was beneficial (and timely) to read the information again and think about my reality; which I guess I often try not to do (horrible never diagnosed IBS, very arthritic fingers, major sugar cravings all the time, frequent periods of zero energy....) mid-day on the 30th I thought- hey- today my eating has been completely W30... maybe I can and will do this!  This is the perfect time for success- lots of fresh veggies, no school, etc... 

I am blown away by the changes.  It IS all unicorns and rainbows here!  I had a headache that sent me to bed early on day one, but not a thing after that!  I feel like I have lost 10 pounds, my stomach DOESN'T HURT! It doesn't hurt to eat!, no bloating and I have energy! I'm very surprised that I haven't had cravings or a desire to "cave."  I made cookies on day 5 without any desire to lick the spoon or taste one.  Amazing. 

The only tricky part (here on day nine) is timing the beverage consumption (up 4 times last night- ugh).  Is anyone else experiencing this? 

jent103 - That was me yesterday.  I was in a fog and totally "checked out".  I couldn't do anything.  But I don't think I ate all that great either.  My breakfast was banana and almonds, no protein or veggies.   I didn't do that today and it was way better.

Gardengirl - welcome.  I like your name  :) . I am up 2 or 3 times a night peeing.  Before W30 it was frustrating because I found that I couldn't get back to sleep but just now writing this I realize that I still get up to pee that much but am able to fall right back to sleep.  That is a nice perk of eating this way.

we are having carnitas with guac., mango salsa and sweet potato fries.  Yummmmm.

Day 10 almost in the bag, peeps!  Keep rockin'!!!!!!

I am one day ahead and I was feeling the fog REALLY bad yesterday! I even had a bad headache and had to lay down for a bit. Today the fog is gone, I find that I am waking up easier and I am not hitting the snooze button. I am however having gut issues, its getting better and I am not as distended but still there. I noticed that I am no longer able to finish the big meals I was eating a few days ago. I am getting fuller quicker, I went from 3 eggs with veggies cooked in ghee to 1.5 this morning. I ran out of coffee this am and usually if I dont sip on coffee before 8, I would get a bad headache for the rest of the day and felt drowsy, today I couldn't make it to starbucks until 0900 and I made it with no headaches! I also noticed that my TMJ is more of jaw pain and not jaw and headache as prior.

Today my husband and kids requested IN N Out...I love that place, we went through drive through and they boxed the food in an open box!! I had 3 cheeseburgers and 3 fresh orders of fries on my lap!! I think this was the ultimate test for me, I did not have the desire to cheat! yay me!

Today my body feels as though it's craving for exercise (I dont think I would have ever thought that prior)so I am thinking about doing Krav Maga with my son.

I do think about my wine...not gonna lie and I am looking forward to that sip.

Good morning, 7/29s and 7/30s.  Day 11 is here.  And I have to admit that I am in the blahs.  I think I understand why people drop out about this time.  I do feel better and my energy feels different but I'm not seeing results physically really yet.  If I was weighing myself I might have an idea about where I'm at but since I have stuck to not weighing myself, it is hard to tell.  I had 40 pounds to lose at the beginning of this and losing weight and finding a new way of life with food is a big reason why I am doing this.  The other benefits are all right there with it as well and I want those as well.  I feel great that I have stuck to the plan and have not strayed from it.  I know that exercise would help with all of this - my mind, my spirit, my body.  I guess I just wanted to be honest with you guys about where I'm at. The great thing is that, with the exception of the occasional drooling for something doughy and buttery and sugary, I have no desire to not eat this way.  I am enjoying it and making delicious fresh food - had mango salsa and guacamole with carnitas last night - so yummy!!!   But, anyone else feeling this way?

I'm having my coffee with coconut milk and coconut cream.  For breakfast I am going to have 3 eggs with broccoli and left over sweet potato fries.  Have a great day everyone.  Hang in there.  It doesn't matter how we feel - it matters what we do!

Yes Lees96, I totally get it.  I feel pretty "blah" right now as well.  Like you, I am following the plan 100% but have yet to experience anything I would consider noteworthy.  I guess I thought I would feel "cleaner".  I know that sounds weird.  Then I think....it's only been a few days.  I need to be patient and stay focused.  We are on the right track and that's a great feeling!! 

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling foggy! I am right there with you all on the blahs. My breakfast is right in front of me and all I can think is "I don't WANT sweet potatoes, I want my freaking Greek yogurt!!" My workout was terrible and I think I might be getting sick, and for all the work and changes it's still not enough time to really see any results. I totally get why people quit right now.

But we're all in it together, at least! It really does help to know there are other people in the same boat.

OK - so we are all in the same place.  That is awesome!!!  I mean, I don't want you guys to have the blahs either but at least I know that maybe this is right where I'm supposed to be and I am doing everything right.  I want to see results NOW, you know.  Aah, deep breath...

Hang in there, peeps.  I really don't want to be eating any other way.  Have a great Day 11! 

The BLAHS- I am so there with you guys and I totally get why people quit now too. I had a subpar run this morning, which my poor running partner suffered through for me and I just feel like... whatever. I mean I know I will get over this hump and I think part of the Blahs was that on Tuesday I didn't eat 2 meals... which left my tank empty for yesterday's evening run and this morning's run. I did focus on a good breakfast, and had some frozen grapes as a treat... which helped. One good thing was two of my friedns who ran with me last night are Paleo and thinking about doing the whole 30, and we talked about it a good bit. 

Lees- I joined this to help improve my running, I am a SLOW runner, and wanted to try a new way of eating to see if that helped... plus I figured it would challenge my body to try something new and maybe lose a couple pounds.

Jent- It is good to know others are in the same boat

Gabenick- Thank the gods that someone else is having a reduction in appetite, i thought I was going crazy... I seem to be getting full faster... or maybe my satiation brain mechanism is working better now?

Hey, all! I am popping in from the Aug 1st forum. I started eating compliant on the 29th but my husband made sausage for dinner on the 31st and threw away the package before I could read what was in them (I am assuming they weren't compliant) so I figured I'd finish with the Aug 1st-ers. Timelinewise, though, I feel more in line with day 11. 

Definitely feeling the Blahs today, too! I just feel a little bored. Not that I want to eat off plan, just "meh".

Keep it up, everyone! 

As I was walking through the office today I smelled baked beans.  The sweet, warm kind.  As it turns out, the smell was some sort of toner or ink from the copier that was getting repaired.  It in fact, did not smell like baked beans at all..... my poor mind. 

@ colandlala- that is so funny! Today I have felt both food averse and somewhat not hungry... Yet wanting nourishment and feeling mechanistic about following "the template." Does that make sense? I also must have some strange fear of being hungry and really don't want to have to face the temptation of snacking, so have likely been at the high end of consumption at most meals (high on the veggies). I have to remind myself that I don't need to be "Thanksgiving full" at the end of each meal. It's been taking me soooooo long to finish many meals (yikes! All that chewing with the meat and salads!) so it feels like I'm always eating, cooking planning or washing dishes! Last night I made this soup: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/ (sorry, I don't know how to link!), which was fantastic paired with leftover pork roast... much reduced chewing required! Weird summer dinner combo, I know, but it hit the spot.

I donated platelets on Monday and had no energy during my ride home from work on Tuesday (23 miles total). Maybe I need to visit the Biogenesis clinic- Kidding

Stay in there, all!!

Hi, Michaela! Good to have another blah person on board. ;)

colandlala, that is hilarious, and I totally know what you mean. Last week I was in a bring-your-own-lunch meeting and after, told my coworker who'd been next to me that I'd been really craving her PB&J (I can't even tell you the last time I had a PB&J, but it sounded awesome that day!). She started laughing and said "That wasn't peanut butter. It was pulled barbecue chicken!"

It feels like I'm always eating, cooking planning or washing dishes!

YES!! I thought this morning "I don't care what I eat for dinner, I just want to pick it up and eat it."

Still going strong on Day 8 (restarted on Aug 1st)

So I ran by the store at lunch (I was out of avocados!) and that made me late to eat my lunch at my desk at the office.  After I did I pulled out some blackberries I purchased... I ended up eating the whole container.  Not cause I craved them or was hungry, but just because I was enjoying eating them.  

Now... about 20 minutes later I'm having a very unsettling feeling of being both dizzy and tired at the same time.  I'm having trouble concentrating and I seem jittery.  I guess it's all the sugar in the blackberries?  

Meanwhile, I've turned in my Adrenal Gland (spit test) and my ALCAT (food intolerance test) and won't know until about 10 days or so from now. 

Archived