On the topic of potatoes...

I was reading another question about potatoes because I'm going to have a ton of them soon - I grow organic fingerling, red and purple potatoes in my garden and I'm looking forward to probably at least 100lbs of harvest.

I get that they aren't on the plan, I'm just not sure about the why of it.

For the record, the only potatoes I eat are ones I cook myself, usually ones I've grown myself. I don't rely on them as a primary food source, but once in a while they make yummy stuff.

So, if the usual suspects - fries, hash browns, etc - are not part of my normal diet, is there another reason?

The book states that "americans eat a lot of white potatoes - and more that a third are in the form of fries or potato chips. Keeping these familiar foods in your diet makes you more likely to return to your old, unhealthy food habits and since there are far  more nutrient dense choices available, take a pass on white potatoes please".

Potatoes also raise blood sugar very quickly, more so even than sugar itself. As the book says there are so many more nutrient dense choices you can try. One of the aims of a W30 is to give yourself a complete reset for 30 days. After your 30 days, by all means reintroduce your own homegrown, home cooked potatoes. I'm sure they'll keep that long. good luck

Ah....The Book. I'm waiting for it to arrive. Rather impatiently, I might add.

I believe that Americans eat a lot of white potatoes in the form of fries or chips. I'm not one of those Americans. I'm not a fan of either fries or chips. I can abslolutely pass on the potatoes, and had no plans to include them in my Whole30 at all. I was mostly just curious about the reason.

Thank you for the responses. They make sense.

Oooh!  I was just drying my hair and realized I should clarify that ^  I did not eat white potatoes during my W30s.  It was after but that thread made me feel better about it!   :D

Archived