Anyone start a Whole30 right after major surgery??

Jinkse21

I am having a total knee replacement this Friday and will be off work for 6 weeks and would love to follow Whole30 while I am out since I will be at home anyway.  I did my first Whole30 in April with great results and have since become a little more lax and my body can definitely tell!

I know there is the official Whole30 challenge in August and would love to participate but I won't be able to start on the 1st and I am pretty sure I won't be able to be compliant while in the hospital for 3 days.  Once I am home, I should be able to do it and have done some pre-planning such as making bone broth (chicken and beef), Rogan Josh (Well Fed), Paleo Bolognese, Chocolate Chili (Well Fed), and lots of good meats in the freezer.  I have of the staples in my pantry from my first Whole30 so I am good there too!  Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to the store or farmers market for fresh veggies until I can drive (hopefully after two weeks) so I will have to depend on others doing the shopping for me.

Has anyone else done a Whole30 after surgery and if so, did you notice if it helped with your recovery? 

It was about 11 months after surgery (radical mastectomy) that I started W30 but I was still undergoing cancer treatment and it really helped with that. I also noticed my scar practically disappeared. I really wish I'd known about it earlier.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you have a really speedy recovery.

You could also, if you have room, stock up on some frozen veg. I find them great to fall back on.

Thanks Kirsteen!  I have to say that I am not a big frozen veggie fan since I don't like my veggies too cooked.  Luckily, I like a lot of raw veggies and I'll have my mom to help me out with anything ofr the first week.  By the second week, I am hoping to be in a place where I can prep veggies by myself...at least while sitting at the kitchen table with my leg propped!  :D

• 1 month later...

Recovery went really well!  It's been just over 7 weeks and I have full range of motion yet still have a hard time with stairs...more because I got so used to going up and down one step at a time!  :P   I am still in PT to help build up my muscle strength but should be done after this week or next.  I bought a walk for the house when I left the hospital but after using it once because it was a nusense to use in my hallways, I switched to using a cane for balance.  If you can, find out if your doctor uses staples or Durabond glue for the incision.  I had my right knee replaced 2 years ago and my doctor used staples.  This time he used the glue.  I could tell a huge difference and love the glue!  You can actually shower right away!

Know that your sleep will be all messed up after your hospital stay!  They wake you up to give you meds and take vitals what seemed like every 3-4 hours.  Luckily, my hospital had wi-fi so I had my iPad to entertain me in the wee hours of the night.  I had Percocet every 4 hours and I took them just about every time...once you let it wear off, it can take longer for it to be effective again if you have a lot of pain. I also took one about 30-45 minutes before PT because that can aggrevate the pain.  They will get you up the day after your surgery.  They don't make you do too much but it can be tiring.

I had a nerve block put in before the surgery to help with pain reduction.  Feels weird but it helps!  Also, having the catheter for 2 days was nice (I know...I'm weird :P ) but not having to worry about getting up to pee is so nice and relaxing! 

At home, I found having a small cross purse that fits my phone and whatever else I may need to be handy because there's not always going to be someone around and if there is, how long can you wait for someone to get something for you?  If you're like me, not long!   :lol:   Having some foods prepared also helped.  When you do go to the store, there is no shame in using the electric carts to shop!  Walking around the store is not ideal right away!  I wore a dress so people could see my bandages on my knee and not think I was just being lazy!  LOL!

That's all I can think of right now but if you have any specific questions, let me know!  Good luck with your surgery and recovery!  You'll do great!

Thanks for replying!  You have allayed a lot of my fears!  I'm definitely asking about the staples vs. glue!  My husband will be home with me for 2 weeks, but I plan on doing a lot of (hopefully Whole30 compliant) frozen meals that can be baked or thrown in the crock pot.  I'm doing a "Whole46" right now to get as healthy as possible leading up to the surgery--hopefully that combined with lifting heavy weights will hasten my recovery!

It's nice to hear from someone younger & healthier that has had this surgery....right now my only resource is my grandma!  Fun to talk to, but I think our recoveries will be very different!

Thanks again!  :)

Archived