Breakfast makes me Not motivated to start whole30

gravessen

In my contry, Portugal, i'm used to have a breakfast with milk and some bread. I am not also uded to eat meat/fish or egs in the morning.

I would like to try the whole30 program, but i would like to have somethign very pratical, not time consuming, and with not a lot of fat (cause i have high cooloesterol)...

So what can i have to the breakfast that that is quick to prepare? i find this program hard to make because my problem with the breakfast

Leftovers from dinner would be one option. 

Healthy fats are part of every meal on a Whole30, per the meal template. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I'm not a fan of cooking at breakfast time either, so I make either frittatas or breakfast casseroles ahead of time that cover a number of breakfast servings, because they're baked in a 13x9 inch or 8x8 inch pan.  I just reheat a slice in my microwave for my breakfast. Perhaps something like that would be an option for you?

i dont think leftcovers would suits me... :s

Can you explain me what are  frittatas and breakfast casseroles ? and how u cook them?

Do you think that turkey ham with fruit and Flaxseeds would be a nice breakfast?

A frittata is like an omelette you cook in the oven - cook a few vegetables (peppers, mushrooms & greens are all good), maybe a bit of meat or sausage, stir in some eggs, then bake in the oven until set. You can cut it into slices & it's good hot or cold , so easy to make extra for another day.

Re: your question on breakfast casseroles and frittatas, here are a couple recipes to give you an idea:

- Primal Breakfast Casserole: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz2aRIvjqHz

- Baked Asparagus and Yellow Pepper Frittata (to make Whole30 compliant, substitute coconut milk for the cream and ghee for the butter) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baked-Asparagus-and-Yellow-Pepper-Frittata-101499

Turkey ham sounds like it might be too processed to be Whole30 compliant. Check the ingredients label carefully for nasties like sugar, carrageenan, and other items not allowed on a Whole30.

Also, just as every Whole30 meal should have a healthy fat, every meal should have vegetables. So make sure to include vegetables at your breakfast.

Every Sunday, I hardboil eggs, either sautee or massage a mess of greens (like kale), bake 5 sweet potatoes.  I then divide that all into 5 containers, add coconut butter to my sweet potato, and put them in the fridge.  In the morning, I have breakfast all ready.  I like to break the egg up over the kale salad.  If I have time, I will microwave the sweet potato, but if I don't, I'll eat it all cold. 

I do the same thing for lunch.  This week, I made a huge batch of tuna salad and divided it into 5 containers.  Last week, I made squash soup.  Having breakfast and lunch prepared in advance helps a ton!

Good luck!

I feel you - I hate making breakfast in the morning. I also prefer lighter breakfasts, like yogurt. But now that I am eating whole30, I find I am staying full all the way until lunch for the first time ever! You wanna  know why? Because I am getting enough fat to keep me going! Don't be afraid of fat. :)

I am posting two recipes below for things I made on Sundays that were easy to eat on the go in the morning. They both require a bit of chopping, but like I said, I made them on Sunday and they last the whole week. If I'm feeling like it, I'll have a bit of cantaloupe or grapes with these, but its not necessary. 

First an egg casserole. I made this in a big cake pan. When it was cool, I cut it into 10 slices and individually wrapped some so I can just throw them in my bag and go. They will freeze well too. While its cooking, you may see liquid bubbling at the top - that doesn't mean its not done. Just check periodically - if the top seems solid, take it out. I used a glass pan and the eggs seemed to pull away from the side of the pan - little to no sticking. You could line with parchment though.

1 sweet potato, diced

1 small or half a medium red onion, sliced thinly

2 zucchini or summer squash, thin sliced and halfed

1 bell pepper, diced

1 cup spinach

1/2 to 3/4 lb pork sausage (*optional - if you include, make sure its whole30 compliant) 

12 eggs

Olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Saute the sweet potato and slice onion with olive oil. Keep an eye on the pan so they do not burn. Add a little balsamic vinegar to help them carmelize a bit. Remove from pan and set aside in a 9x13 pan.
  3. Saute the zucchini and bell pepper until they are soft - when they are getting close to done, throw in the spinach and saute that as well. Add to 9x13 pan.
  4. Cook the sausage if using - add to the 9x13 pan. Toss the veggies and meat together.  
  5. Crack all eggs into a bowl and wisk until scrambled. Pour over veggies and meat and throw in the oven. Cook for about 30-40 minutes. (To be honest I do not know how long I cooked it - just wiggle the pan a little and if it seems solid, it should be okay)
  6. Let cool and slice. 

Second was a sweet potato "hash" - I just threw this in a big tupperware, spooned it out in the morning and microwaved. 

3-4 sweet potatoes, diced or shredded

3 bell peppers, diced

1 red onion, diced

1 package of Aidell's chicken sausages, sliced.

Olive oil or coconut oil or other cooking fat

1. Saute the vegetables together in oil until they are slightly carmelized and soft.
  2. Add the chicken sausages and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. 
  3. Let it cool and transfer to tupperware. 

I know it's a paradigm shift, but eating healthy cholesterol/fat doesn't equate to high cholesterol in the body... inflammation does.

Whole30 foods are anti-inflammatory so this way of eating (healthy fats and all) should not cause your cholesterol to go up.

That said... I am not a doctor. (disclaimer.)

Here is the story (from the Whole9 blog) of a lady whose cholesterol lowered 36 points after a Whole100: http://whole9life.com/2012/10/lisas-whole100/

Archived