My Whole 90 (autoimmune protocol + coffee elimination)... almost...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My current hypothesis, still evolving, is that dairy causes me fluid retention and weight gain and inhibits my thyroid meds from working... as the most objectionable symptoms, although there are other effects, as well. And that corn causes digestive upset and muscle aches, as the most objectionable symptoms.

I am back on the med of unknown fillers, attempting to get a handle on the weight gain and fluid retention. Since these are also thyroid symptoms and seasonal allergy symptoms, it's hard to know whether this is lactose or simply allergies or too low a dose of thyroid meds. I have gained about 5lbs in about a week, and the usual measures to take off fluids (magnesium, salt water flush, acv) are not working. To be fair, most of that gain was not on the lactose-containing med, but on a third otc that I tried, which didn't work.

So, trying to resolve that. I was actively losing weight while continuing to eat mostly whole 30, with reintro days, so a drastic weight gain of about a pound per day, mostly makes me think some sort of detox symptoms. Trying to get back to that state of ketosis. The only other thing that could have changed, dietwise, is that I'm using raw honey for sweetener in my tea. I hardly think that could cause such drastic weight gain, though. I should have a raging systemic yeast infection, before I'm getting enough sugars to gain a freaking pound per day, and I don't currently have candida symptoms.

So, one dose of the med with unknown ingredients, and the muscle aches are back. Ergo, I'm suspecting this med to contain corn, but in absence of my typical lactose symptoms, I'm going to guess it doesn't contain lactose. I'm guessing my med is one reason the muscle aches never went away on W30.

Still trying to figure out what I can do to find a good thyroid Dr to get a custom compounded thyroid med.

I was looking at the histamine protocol last night and saw fermented things on the high histamine list.  That's one of the only ones I remember...  There was a link to a good article from the blog here when they added the special shopping lists.

Ugh... What do you say to people that tell you, "a small amount won't hurt you," when I obviously react to even a trace amount? And what is really annoying, is that the person is passing themselves off as a nurse practitioner. It's like the medical profession doesn't believe any of it is real! :P It's not my own care provider, BTW. Just random person who doesn't seem to get it.

I cold-brewed coffee for my husband for a while.  It was easy enough to do with his regular beans.  It seemed to take a lot of beans, but would not be too bad for an occasional treat.  (He has about 4 cups a day now and was at around 8 back then.)

Being able to enjoy a coffee treat sounds like such a relief for you with all of the struggles you have had!

Yes! Lol

I had a bit of digestive upset, not too much. Then some mild liver pain. Today, I have a bit of itching in one of my rashy-prone areas, not sure if it's related, or if it's a thyroid-med thing. I only had 2 servings of coffee; I didn't want to drink coffee with dinner and keep myself up.

I think it remains on the level of occasional treat, if I don't make it too strong, but certainly do-able.

• 2 weeks later...

I had another very weird food reaction, and with a food I've been eating, all along. Past two days, my tongue has become itchy or burning sensation when eating grapefruit. Feedback? Do I now have to get off grapefruit, as well?

I have a vague sense that, I could probably react to most foods known to man, via elimination diet. How far do I go with it?

I tried grapefruit again, and had no issue with it. So maybe a weird acid thing.

I think my reintros are probably complete, finally. I will continue to eat mostly aip, but I am allowing occasional coffee and nightshades. It seems I am sensitive to everything else. Oh, and I have been allowing some nuts and seeds, mostly in the way of spices.

Just disheartening that I react to so many things.

Archived