My Whole 90 (autoimmune protocol + coffee elimination)... almost...

40 mins in on the coffee... So far, so good...

How would one know if they have issues with chicory? I've felt ill with it in the past, such as in fiber supplements... But couldn't that all just be due to the laxative effects and not an actual sensitivity? I am also sensitive to salicylates, which I believe chicory contains.

The chicory is very important to determine, as the new thyroid medication I just ordered to replace the current one (which I'm getting off of due to concerns that it contains cornstarch, which I have demonstrated sensitivity/allergy to), contains inulin. It's a med designed for those with food allergies, being free of common allergens... But it contains inulin.

So... Game plan? Shall I just avoid chicory until the new med arrives, then just try it and see how I tolerate it?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, far, the consensus on nightshades is that peppers and raw tomatoes are too acidic for me to consume like crazy on a regular basis (tomatoes seem okay, if cooked), but that they aren't causing me any problems other than the acid. I have burping and epigastric pain after these items, which soon goes away. Well WORTH the taste, if eaten in reasonable moderation! Yum, yum, yum... How I have missed my peppers! In addition to the items I had yesterday night, I also had roasted poblano and roasted tomato, today. Soooo good!

Of course, I will be watching for other symptoms over the next couple of days, especially for the possibility of increased aches and pains. And I will be taking all of my calcium/magnesium/zinc, as well as turmeric supplements, as I watch.

I have been experimenting with making my own homemade stevia extract/syrup from powdered stevia herb. So I know there is NOTHING but stevia in it. Just had tea with this homemade stevia, along with dinner, and now a bit of itching on my legs. I have no idea, anymore. Everything is so nebulous. I just think I have all my food intolerances narrowed down, then something weird like this, happens.

I'm reading that stevia is in the ragweed family. As I have seasonal allergies, I strongly suspect allergy to ragweed. So... http://www.livestrong.com/article/371636-an-allergy-to-stevia/

Very tired of this. I'm starting to think I have food sensitivities that are far beyond the scope of Whole 30 to uncover or address. I am a nazi about my diet, a freaking nazi, I tell ya! But I still can't seem to uncover it all or sort it all out.

Yes, I did an early reintroduction of stevia, and I had weird rashy stuff that went away when I eliminated and reintroduced. And now seems to be back, with the making of my own stevia extract.

New theory: what if this itching that I have with some foods, is candida? Even though I don't have other candida symptoms, could it be a subclinical candida rearing it's head from time to time, and not necessarily triggered by certain foods? Maybe the itching is not an allergy symptom at all, but a candida symptom?

Hi suthnbelle,

I know you've been struggling...I wonder if you might consider consulting with a professional to sort out some of your stuff. It sounds like you're sort of floundering with too much information out there and you may need some help narrowing in on root cause and how to live a sustainable life.

Noted dramatically reduced aches and pains, in one day off of stevia... So I am still thinking an actual stevia sensitivity/allergy is possible.

I am mostly struggling to pinpoint and interpret the way my body is reacting to different foods. Apparently, I react more than most others, at this point... Or else there is something else going on, as yet undetermined.

Amy, can any of the Whole9 consultants help?  I know I was going to try to ask Dallas (before Melissa solved my puzzle) because no one practices functional medicine where I live.

I do think this suggestion is a great idea.  Correlations and causations are confusing and this has been really tricky.

(Forum note: I just discovered that this is not a protected area like the food logs.)

Oh, good grief. I just ordered a new thyroid med, as the one I'm on is suspected to contain corn. This new med was supposed to contain only 2 inactive ingredients: inulin from chicory, and mct's. Specifically for those with food allergies. Then I get it, and it lists a third inactive ingredient: lactose monohydrate! Urgh!! I can't seem to find a prescription dessicated thyroid that doesn't have either corn or dairy :P

Went out to the dairy farm, today. Bought an abundance of raw, grass-fed dairy products. Raw milk, kefir, yogurt, buttermilk. And some butter of unspecified rawness and grass-fedness (we didn't realize the butter isn't from the dairy, until we got home). It all tastes fabulous, but I am having the same symptoms as before: headache & fatigue, even some muscle soreness and a few small red spots popping up.

[sigh] That probably signifies an intolerance. Even to raw milk products. It's one of those things I'm much more prone to do when eating out; significantly increases my range of what I can and cannot eat. But this is not looking good. Wonder if a lactaid or something might help? Or if I just have to resign myself to no dairy. That's probably the non-W30 food group I wanted most to eat, out of all of them.

Coconut milk is working as a great alternative, but still, I will miss it.

Archived