Are sweet potatoes making me crave?

So this is my second whole 30. First time around my meal 1 consisted of cooked chicken, with avocado and tomato salad with balsamic vinegar - unless I had leftovers to eat this was my standard breakfast. I can't do eggs of any description! I found going from meal 1 to meal 2 fine and after the first week or so I had great energy levels.

This time around I've been having sweet potato hash, cooked in coconut oil with a can of salmon and hot pepper sauce, served with salad or veggies on the side. I've really enjoyed this as meal 1, and it's so simple to make in the morning with very little preparation. My baby wakes at 5.30-6am so I need something quick that I can throw together and this ticks all the boxes.

My problem is for the last week or so, I've not had much energy, and I'm not satisfied between meals? I tried adding half an avocado to my meal 1 (although a cook the sweet potato in a good tablespoon of coconut oil and the salmon is oily?) but I'm constantly wanting to snack - I'm not craving junk - just not satisfied between meals and find myself snacking on nuts :/ I also have less energy? (I did have a virus the first week, but today is day 15).

Could the sweet potato be causing this? One of my problems during my first whole 30 is I'd been diagnosed with post partum thyroiditis - which resolved itself during my whole 30, but I am aware that to support my thyroid I should be eating carbs - but is a sweet potato every single day too much? Exercise wise I mainly walk - as I can do it with the baby, I clock up between 6-10 miles per day. I try to get out for a run or two during the week - but it depends on when my husband gets home, and I fit in a cycling session (20-30 miles) at the weekend. My exercise levels have been consistent though during both whole 30s - the only thing I have changed is increasing my carbs?

Am I eating too many carbs? Or should I have them later in the day?

• Moderators

Sweet potato at breakfast MIGHT awaken cravings and make you want more food, but I can't imagine how they could reduce your energy levels. You might want to try saving them for later in the day and come up with a new meal 1 menu.

carbs make you hungrier faster, so it's definitely reasonable. M&D actually recommended that add IN sweet taters in the morning because my daily eggs/bacon/avo meal 1 at 7am kept me satisfied until 1 or 2pm and I just couldn't fit in "enough" food.

(1 sweet potato a day is not too much, btw)

Pushing them off until later in the day is a good strategy to combat this, or increasing your protein by a half a palm (or egg)

Ew! No eggs! :) but I think I will leave them until lunch or dinner then? The energy levels could just be this virus hanging around anyway? I've still got a cough and we are having a heat wave over here, so that kind of zaps you? I think I will go back to my old faithful chicken for meal 1, and maybe sweet potatoes with my evening meal.

Sorry you aren't feeling well and that it is hot.  Maybe you could add some bone broth with that chicken to get your hydration up and add nutrients. 

And, there are some awesome beverage ideas here: http://nancycreative.com/2010/06/25/feast-your-eyes-on-flavored-water/  I have been making one with basil and mint that has helped a lot with the heat.

I know your post wasn't about hydration, but it is always a good line of defense for illness and low energy.

Archived