Has anyone survived a whole 30 meal out at Benihanas?

So I'm still fairly new to this whole 30 deal which is why I'm kind of starting to stress about a meal that is taking place tomorrow. I have babysat for a family all summer and tomorrow is my last day so they are treating me to lunch at benihanas which is a hibachi/sushi place. Has anybody found anything whole 30 compliant or am I completely doomed? 

I was thinking I could ask them to make special accommodations and order hibachi chicken with no butter and ask that it be cooked in only olive oil with a little bit of salt and pepper to season and then pair it with double veggies instead of rice and ask that they be cooked the same way. Do you think this would be a reasonable choice? I obviously wouldn't eat the soup and then the salad would come out plain and I would imagine they would have oil and vinegar on the side. Or, should I go with some sort of rice-less sushi. I'm at a complete loss when it comes to sushi so any help much appreciated! The thought of failing on Day 3 due to a meal that I have no choice but to attend would be upsetting.  :(

Rice-less sushi is called sashimi. That would get my vote as your food choice tomorrow: won't have to worry about any cooking oils. Make sure all you get is fish: nothing in tempura and no sauces on it.

If you can get a seaweed salad without soy sauce mixed in, that would be a veggie option for you too.

Sashimi is your best bet with a salad with no dressing and ask for a half sliced avocado and maybe steamed veggies if they have it..  Japanese do not do Olive Oil...it's usually peanut, canola, or vegetable oil. Sashimi is typically served with shaved Daikon Radish and is a great pairing with sashimi for a light, refreshing flavor.

Also, seaweed salads can contain a little bit of sugar so unless they know exactly how it's made and will tell you, I would forego the seaweed salad.

• 4 years later...

Archived