mamaxt

There was some discussion among the group doing a Whole30 in July regarding the start of a new, reintroduction thread. I'm getting the ball rolling here. 

Tomorrow, July 31 is my first day of reintroduction. I'll be adding dairy back into my diet for three meals and will report back regarding my reaction. 

What are everyone else's plans for reintroduction? Anything you're excited to bring back? Or, are there items that will never make their way back into your diet again??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be reintroducing dairy tomorrow. Not sure exactly what, though. I think some heavy cream, maybe some yogurt?, and I told the family I'd make some ice cream. This is my 3rd whole30, but I've never done a real reintro, so I'm excited.

• Moderators

I wish you would publish reintro concerns and questions in the forum itself and not start a group thread. By staying inside a group thread, you insulate yourself from the wisdom of a broad cross-section of participants.

I wish you would publish reintro concerns and questions in the forum itself and not start a group thread. By staying inside a group thread, you insulate yourself from the wisdom of a broad cross-section of participants.

Thanks for your opinion, Tom. By no means is this thread supposed to be exclusionary or limiting to anyone on the forum. It's more of a loose way for us to stay in contact while we're in the midst of our reintro period. 

My re-intro plans for Day31 Dairy:

• yogurt at breakfast (want this the least, just trying to get full benefit of full dairy evaluation. maybe I should rethink and slather butter on something? heh.)
  • Caprese Salad: Mozz cheese w fresh basil + tomato _ olive oil
  • Brewsters Ice Cream after dinner

Tomorrow, I think I'll have cottage cheese with breakfast and lunch. Dinner will include a small portion of ice cream. I started my Whole30 with ice cream the last night before and will end it the same way. Secretly, I expect (and kind of hope) that it makes me feel yucky. I'm not too susceptible to the Sugar Dragon - have never been a "sweets" person in my life - but something about the symmetry of this feels right. 

Idea: if we want to follow Tom's suggestion, we could do a July Sugar Reintro, July Dairy Reintro, July gluten reintro, etc.

thoughts?

I'm not partial to having all our thoughts held tightly in this thread. I would encourage people to list specific questions/concerns under appropriately pithy titles in the forum. For general check-ins and high fives, however, this still feels like the right place to be.  :D

I'm not officially reintroducing anything, as I already have a pretty good idea (from years of elimination and allergist visits) which foods affect me how, and I'm not willing to subject myself to the negative side-effects of most of the non-compliant foods.

The only exceptions are the occasional sugar (I've never had a problem with sugar control) and white potatoes. Unfortunately, since I'm traveling right now and my food options are sometimes limited, I accidently got some corn two nights ago. I think the restaurant used corn oil, and my tongue has several painful sores on it from that. Stupid, sneaky corn. This just reinforces what I already knew.

Quite honestly, I don't think I'm computer literate enough to be able to post comments on other parts of the website. It's been a bit of a learning curve for me to do this in fact. I think I'll just get lost, so am happy to stick with what we've got. General check-ins and high-fives are great and that's really what I'm after.

So.. starting off with dairy today. I plan to have yoghurt for breakfast, cream at lunchtime and probably some cheese around dinner time. How decadent does all that sound!

I'd like to make a comment regarding ice cream. This seems to be very high on a lot of people's reintroduction list. You know there's not really a lot of dairy in commercial ice cream. Well, I probably should qualify that by saying that of course there is dairy in ice cream, but there is also a lot of other 'stuff'. If you get a bad reaction from your dairy day you won't really know if it's the dairy that's causing the reaction or some of the other ingredients contained in the ice cream. I don't have a carton of it in my freezer so can't look at the ingredients list, but I know that when it melts I end up with some white fluffy stuff on top of some clear gooey sludge. Hope that's put you off.

I know that when it melts I end up with some white fluffy stuff is a top of some clear gooey sludge. Hope that's put you off

Lol. Isnt that the truth! Gross!

I was turned off multiple.times by grains during.the w30 when preparing pasta or.sandwiches for.family members. That is huge for.me since I definitely have a grain dragon.

Doing.dairy reintro tomorrow.as.well. Bought heavy cream for coffee at breakfast, plain fage yogurt to.have either at lunch or dinner (maybe dinner) because I know I will be out at lunch time, so may get some shredded cheese on a salad from.chipotle or something. Would doing heavy cream in coffee plus a yogurt be too much for one meal?

Thursday I.have a 6 hour flight to Seattle during.dinner time... so food may have to be purchased in the airport although I.guess I.could prepare.something and.bring it. Bought 2 larabars for emergency airplane food. Any thoughts on airport/airplane dinner?

Also.... I was thinking of not doing.a.reintro.of.sugar or grains (besides maybe quinoa and corn) because I know.those.are major.triggers.for.me.

Is it.normal to sort of pick.and.choose.things to reintro and.stay pretty much paleo otherwise?

I don't know that I plan to reintro much. 80% of W30 no nos were off my plate already when I started...I was looking to see if I had a significant issue with dairy and based on the fact that I lost nearly 12 pounds this month without it AND had a total lack of stomach/constipation issues I think I have my answer there. I've decided to switch to almond milk and just keep using coconut milk in my coffee when I use anything at all. Sugar and I have long had a relationship worthy of a Curtis Mayfield song so that can just stay outta my house. I just plan to apply the good food standards to my choices and go from there, until September when I do another 30. 

Also.... I was thinking of not doing.a.reintro.of.sugar or grains (besides maybe quinoa and corn) because I know.those.are major.triggers.for.me.

Is it.normal to sort of pick.and.choose.things to reintro and.stay pretty much paleo otherwise?

There is a thread under reintroduction that asks the question, what if I don't really want to reintroduce anything. I found that a helpful answer to your question. 

Today (Wed) was my first day of reintroduction.  Also chose dairy - had small amount parmesan on top of a calamari salad at lunchtime, and some yummy cumin gouda before dinner. All good so far (here in NZ ALL our dairy is grassfed!). Right about the ice-cream though - too many other additives to truely call that "dairy".

No cravings for my (what was) normal soy latte, or potato chips, red wine (it is winter here!) but I really do want to keep that sugar dragon at bay so the chocolate will be off bounds for a bit longer!  :)

I just had bacon so am pretty happy right now.

Since I've been on a predominately Paleo eating plan since last November, the only things I plan to reintroduce are sugar, booze and dairy (which I already know I'm intolerant to). i should probably also look at reintroducing seed oils and I imagine I may have no choice but to eat potatoes and rice when I'm on vacation in the UK. I also imagine I may be "forced" eat the occasional gluten free bakewell tart. As I type this, my reintroduction list keeps growing. Eeek.

I've also been avoiding mushrooms and raw tomatoes and bell peppers for the past year, so may want to look at trying to reintroducing those, although none of those things particularly appeal to me so maybe I will just keep avoiding those.

Quite honestly, I don't think I'm computer literate enough to be able to post comments on other parts of the website. It's been a bit of a learning curve for me to do this in fact. I think I'll just get lost, so am happy to stick with what we've got. General check-ins and high-fives are great and that's really what I'm after.

So.. starting off with dairy today. I plan to have yoghurt for breakfast, cream at lunchtime and probably some cheese around dinner time. How decadent does all that sound!

I'd like to make a comment regarding ice cream. This seems to be very high on a lot of people's reintroduction list. You know there's not really a lot of dairy in commercial ice cream. Well, I probably should qualify that by saying that of course there is dairy in ice cream, but there is also a lot of other 'stuff'. If you get a bad reaction from your dairy day you won't really know if it's the dairy that's causing the reaction or some of the other ingredients contained in the ice cream. I don't have a carton of it in my freezer so can't look at the ingredients list, but I know that when it melts I end up with some white fluffy stuff is a top of some clear gooey sludge. Hope that's put you off

Exactly the reason I'm making homemade. There's a ton of dairy in it! ;)  

Brought dairy back this morning in the form of cheese for meal 1. Within minutes I have a headache and my throat feels tight.

I've struggled with dairy in the past, so I'm expecting that we won't be friends this time around either. But I want to know what I'm in for in the event that I accidentally end up with some butter slipped into a meal here or there on my trip next week. Sounds like I'll know pretty quickly if it's in something. 

I'll continue with the plan and include small amounts in my next two meals today. But honestly, the thought of having more...Ick!  <_<

My dairy day is over and I'm feeling pretty good. By that I mean no dramatic reactions like mamaxt just described, however my gut just doesn't feel happy. It's not an upset stomach, more of an overall feeling of yukkiness - if there is such a thing. I know this feeling from before W.30 after having a cup of tea with milk. So it doesn't take much dairy to get this yuk gut. It's certainly something I can live with, but maybe I'll decide not to. The cream I had at lunch time didn't feel so good in my mouth actually. I whipped it to make it go further, and so that I could savour the taste more, but I've got to say I was disappointed. I'd say this is something I could live without quite happily, and maybe indulge once a year so I can justify not eating it more often. Same as I used to do with fish and chips. OMG - did I really eat fish and chips?!!

Dairy day has been interesting for me too!  

Yesterday I bought a tiny carton of organic heavy cream to add to my coffee and today when I went to open it, I looked at the ingredients (did not in store-- it was organic heavy cream, what could possibly be in it...)only to look at the ingredients and see carrageenan. Bastards! So, I will be returning that to Whole Foods in exchange for a non cancer causing one... or for my $1.99 back. ha... so I ended up with conventional whole milk in my coffee.  Did not have the depth that coconut milk does. Didn't realize that I had gotten used to it!  hahaha.  Ate breakfast late, around 8:30 or 9, and was not hungry for lunch until about 2:30 or 3.  In between I had some gurgly stomach issues, and had to run to the restroom... was whole milk the culprit????  So, for my lunch I did riced cauliflower with some cumin, evoo and compliant hot sauce with some ground turkey and onions sauteed in evCo with cumin, cayenne, paprika, garlic salt and a little green salsa.  On top of the meal I put about 1/4 cup of finely shredded monterrey jack cheese.  Everything tasted really good, but I was acutely aware of the cheese in my meal as I was eating. I don't know that it added that much. I may have enjoyed it more without, but I'm not sure.  Having some gurgly tummy now, and I'm apprehensive of having some plain 0% Fage greek yogurt as my protein for dinner.  I kind of don't really want to eat dinner since I ate lunch so late.  It's already 6:15 and I'm just not that hungry. Gurgly tummy is also ruining my appetite.  

Does this mean I'm intolerant to dairy?  I think, like others said, it may just be a from time to time thing (birthdays for instance), but not a daily thing like it was before.  IT's really crazy how sensitive we have become... and I don't want to become desensitized again!  

Since I'm doing another W30 for August, I'm going to check in on this thread to watch the progress of each of you and see what might be in store for me after my W90 is over.  =)  As it is, I'm pretty much already leaning towards not reintroducing dairy and minimizing any type of sugar.  Once my W90 is over, I will do as recommended and try a reintro of a couple of things just to be sure of the effects on my body for the particular substance but, I can't say that I'm really looking forward to it.  I am quite content leaving things as they are.  Of course, it's only been 31 days so... let's see how I'm feeling around day 50 or so?  ha ha ha =) 

My Dairy Evaluation Day

Today the research begins! I've chosen to go along pretty closely to what they recommend for Reintroduction.

1: Leftover fritatta w ground turkey and veg, 3 dates w almond butter (treat!), some cherries, and chobani vanilla greek yogurt, pecan pieces

+ felt heavy after this meal. but ok. I could take or leave yogurt.

2: turkey rolls, mini sweet peppers, carrots, green olives, caprese salad with fresh Mozzarella cheese

+ the cheese was so creamy and lovely. But I slowed into a foggy state. turning into a gross headache. throat feels funny, like I've been congested, kind of burning feeling. oh boy.  headache worsened later on and heart burn, too.

3: 2 ckn thighs, squash, sw potato, green olives. free small cup of Bruster's choc chip ice cream.

+ heart was still burning from lunch. Ice Cream tasted really amazing and creamy. after I ate it my mouth felt like it was burning. flemmy throat. low grade headache and more heartburn. Oy. Pity.

I'm definitely doing a dairy reintroduction (because butter is cheaper than ghee! And it tastes awesome!). But I am splitting it a bit - in my wrap up post I decided I was going to break it down futher - butter, greek yoghurt & whole milk. I might have a little bit of cheese occasionally but not enough to warrant a re-intro to test my limits. But I have to do a 'controlled' period next week, so I'm thinking of holding off my butter reintroduction until after that. And so I a track down a at home bp monitor to test my dairy gives me higher bp theory.

I really feel the changes that have occurred for me since starting this is wariness about dodgy food and food additives. I have just by way of practice mostly stayed on the template eating and today considered getting a takeaway or at least some sushi but ended up cooking up a grass fed steak with mushrooms and avocado and salad instead. I say mostly though because I did put a small amount of organic butter in my bullet proof coffee this morning. It was maybe just a teaspoon but I definitely 'felt' it. There was some slight nausea and running to the toilet. Butter will be about the only bit of dairy I will use and really just for the coffee pre-workout (which I ended up smashing so maybe the butter does add that extra oomph?)

Archived