mamaxt

Dairy is most definitely off the table for me. I skipped it for my meal #2 yesterday because I was still feeling so yucky after meal #1. I did add some into meal #3 and still feel like I'm paying for that decision this morning. My old aches and pains are back this morning in addition to having a sore, tight throat again. 

I can't say the day was a bust, because I know now that dairy must be off the table for me. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess dairy is a go for me.  No intestinal distress at all.  I don't even feel bloated.  I had Trader Joe's Greek Honey yogurt with breakfast, heavy cream with lunch, and homemade ice cream after dinner.  I will say--I've been a bit under the weather for the last 5-6 days (sore throat, some sinus pain, swollen glands), and I did have more post-nasal drip this morning. Not sure if it's because I'm sick, or because of the dairy, but I'm very happy with the outcome.  

I actually don't eat much dairy at all, but it's nice to know it shouldn't be an issue for me. That being said, I was very excited about the heavy cream with my berries, and realized that I prefer coconut milk now.  AND, I was really looking forward to the ice cream and while it was good...it wasn't the "angels singing, shaft of light shining from heaven" moment that I thought it would be.

Is anyone else feeling better today being back to W30 compliance? I never would have expected this to become my comfort zone, but after yesterday's unpleasantness, I love that I know how my body will react to the safe, whole foods I'm putting into it. This just solidifies my conviction to eat a pretty strict paleo diet going forward with intermittent Whole30s throughout the year. 

Is anyone else feeling better today being back to W30 compliance? I never would have expected this to become my comfort zone, but after yesterday's unpleasantness, I love that I know how my body will react to the safe, whole foods I'm putting into it. This just solidifies my conviction to eat a pretty strict paleo diet going forward with intermittent Whole30s throughout the year. 

Yep, I'm on the same track as you. It really has been a good opportunity for me to see how well my body adapts to strict paleo and to stay on the path with a bit of off roading. I was telling a friend about some of the 'internal' changes that have occurred for me over the last month (she's a counsellor and a psychotherapist) and she summed it up beautifully by saying that it sounds like I have reached a turning point in my life where my conscious and unconscious self recognises what is good for me and what I deserve. I definitely think she has hit it on the head. I know I definitely tend to be a bit of a giving my all til there is nothing left of me kind of person. I realise now that by everyday self care with food and exercise I can still give my all but a lot more efficiently and with a greater sense of balance (if that makes sense?)....all up, I'd say it has been a pretty profound experience for me and I'm not too keen to change back to old ways.  ^_^

Very well put, Born Sandy! I've always run myself into the ground trying to satisfy others' expectations of me (or my perceptions thereof).

This experience has brought the value of self care to the forefront for me as well. I'm going to keep your thoughts close when I'm on vacation next week. I have no desire to slip back to the old ways, even for a special occasion such as a trip. 

Is anyone else feeling better today being back to W30 compliance? I

I continued to have the yuk gut for a day after my dairy reintroduction, and also got a nasal drip and a bit of a throaty cough throughout the day. Still feeling a bit congested this morning but nowhere near as bad as yesterday. I think it will clear up throughout the day. In fact, you know, I had forgotten about the constant cough that I used to have. I was forever clearing my throat, so much so that I was beginning to wonder if I had something a bit sinister. But now it seems as though dairy has been the cause. So dairy isn't really a big issue for me but I think on balance I will have it occasionally and not make it part of my regular diet. What an interesting experiment!

hadn't really planned on reintroducing anything but day 32 my office ran our of Almond milk and Coffee is very important to me.  Added some milk... been sneezy, itchy and my throat feels weird, two mornings in a row.  

So.... I had my first glass of wine last night and thought I would splurge with one of my favourite Tasmanian sparkling wines. Had an ~instant~ reaction of coughing, chest tightening and wheeziness. NOT the image I had in my head of casually relaxing with a well deserved glass of deliciousness!  :huh: My suspicion is either sulphites or yeast but am thinking I may stick to organic wines when I fancy a glass of wine in the future. However, on the yeast thing, my partner who has an AI condition and luckily enough has found an amazing paleo orientated doctor here in Sydney has been warned off any alcohol with yeast as being inflammatory and told if he is to drink then to drink spirits. Personally, I'm starting to think that is good advice for anyone following a paleo direction and will also keep this in mind in the future if the need for a drink arises.

I ate Qdoba last night at the airport, and they use soybean oil on everything! Oh well. I didn't feel bad from it really. I felt bad today just.from Jetlag. In Seattle with the in laws and doing pretty well foodwise. My only non compliant food choice (besides necessary dinner of qdoba) has been a little too much bacon today. Other than.that, enjoying paleo continuance. Going to family parties tomorrow.and Sunday and bringing compliant foods, so I kind of want to.not introduce.anything.while at the parties for.fear of it triggering a junkfood dragon and causing.me.to lose control. Planning on trying gluten a week from sunday bc a family member has a wood fire pizza oven at their home and we are going to make pizza.

Staying.as.paleo as.possible but trying not to beat myself up over things I cant control when out or at family parties like non compliant oils, or a bit of sugar in bacon.

:-)

I ate Qdoba last night at the airport, and they use soybean oil on everything! Oh well. I didn't feel bad from it really. I felt bad today just.from Jetlag. In Seattle with the in laws and doing pretty well foodwise. My only non compliant food choice (besides necessary dinner of qdoba) has been a little too much bacon today. Other than.that, enjoying paleo continuance. Going to family parties tomorrow.and Sunday and bringing compliant foods, so I kind of want to.not introduce.anything.while at the parties for.fear of it triggering a junkfood dragon and causing.me.to lose control. Planning on trying gluten a week from sunday bc a family member has a wood fire pizza oven at their home and we are going to make pizza.

Staying.as.paleo as.possible but trying not to beat myself up over things I cant control when out or at family parties like non compliant oils, or a bit of sugar in bacon.

:-)

Welcome to our lovely city! Can I blame you for our sudden unseasonably sogginess?  ;)

If you are looking for some compliant bacon you can get it at PCC which is a local food co-op. They have lots of lovely paleo friendly foods there from local and organic sources. 

Enjoy your trip!

Anyone else afraid to reintro gluten? I believe I have a gluten - bread/pasta dragon and I know it triggers me to eat poorly. I already know i just want gluten to be a special occasion / necessity thing. Especially because I still have many inches to lose...

I have suspected for a long time that I've had gluten intolerance and now I know for sure that I do. And you're right CharDoll, it's a trigger for eating poorly. Pasta I can take or leave, but bread… now that's quite another thing.

Had pasta for breakfast and no reaction to that at all. I bought a lovely mini loaf of ciabatta bread for my lunch today. It was so yummy. Lovely thick chewy crusts that I dipped into olive oil and balsamic. But..... what a price I paid for that little splurge. I was sooo tired at 4.00pm I could have gone to bed for the night PLUS I could hardly walk my joint pain was so bad. I had protein and veggies for lunch as well - not just the bread. The bread was an appetiser! Ha ha

I haven't been sure about the gluten thing, and now I'm really pleased to have discovered this. I was hoping the W.30 would help alleviate my joint pain, and I'm pleased to say it has. I think I probably need to do a W.60 or even W.90 to get rid of it all, but with all the tripping around I'll be doing for the next few months, that will have to wait. It does mean though, that I will be very vigilant about what I eat while I'm away.

Wow @mimiigo! I find it hard to.leave good.bread alone.

I had a splash of regular 1% milk in my coffee this afternoon at a family party, (don't usually drink coffee after breakfast but everyone else was eating pie and ice cream so I wanted to partake in something) and now I have horrible gas. My whole day was compliant and didn't do any reintros today so the only thing I can attribute my discomfort to.is the splash of milk. So annoying.

I reintro'd gluten yesterday. Meh.  It amazes me how ambivalent I am to bread & pasta now!  The bagel wasn't great, I ate the pasta but it wasn't swoon-worthy, and the toast I had I totally could have lived without.

I was a bit more 'windy,' as it were, and this morning my 'movement' was much more uncomfortable than normal. But I wasn't in any real discomfort. I can see that I'm a bit bloated.

As blase as I felt toward what I ate yesterday, I find the thought of pancakes, waffles or cookies very appealing. ;) Eventually I'll test those out, but something tells me they aren't going to live up to the hype.

Two clean days, then I get to reacquaint myself with my true love--popcorn. LOL

Wow @mimiigo! I find it hard to.leave good.bread alone.

I had a splash of regular 1% milk in my coffee this afternoon at a family party, (don't usually drink coffee after breakfast but everyone else was eating pie and ice cream so I wanted to partake in something) and now I have horrible gas. My whole day was compliant and didn't do any reintros today so the only thing I can attribute my discomfort to.is the splash of milk. So annoying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, I couldn't leave the bread alone. I ate the whole mini loaf!!! It was a huge appetiser wasn't it? But I couldn't have had just bread and EVOO / balsamic, so had to fit in some semblance of a proper meal otherwise I'd have been snacking on goodness knows what before dinner. I think I must have put on a kilo yesterday.

And what a bummer about the milk. But at least you've discovered something… you mightn't like it, but at least you're not left wondering.

Am I the only one who is ridiculously excited about tomorrow? Popcorn is my very favorite snack, and I cannot wait to have some with my dinner. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am totally excited about having corn chips - with guacamole. Saving it up for the afternoon. Managed to find some organic and unsalted.

OK

So.I.had.some corn chips at lunch and felt some immediate bloat. Going out to Mexican dinner tonight so will either try chips again or a little corn. How did you all feel?

Think.it will be an occasional thing like it was pre whole30. Just need to be careful as corn chips can be a fwob for me. I do love some sweet jersey corn in the summer, but right now I'm in Seattle so jersey corn is hard to.come.by. will try some next week!

Archived