Week long travel with NO fridge/ freezer

MrsKT

Morning fellow Whole30ers!  I have a Tuesday morning quandry... Hopefully y'all can help. (And yes, I am a Texan.)

I will be leaving on Sunday for a week long business trip, where I will be flying multiple times (3) to visit business offices.  I will not have a vehicle at any of these destinations to venture out for grocery store trips.  Also, I will only be staying in a room with a mini fridge for 2 days (days 3 and 4) of the total 6.

My days are going to be filled from 7am to about 10pm, which will include catered meals and (certainly) expensive dinners out.  I don't want to seem like a freak of nature who can't eat anything that is ordered, but I'm sticking to Whole30.  Which may mean skimping a lot on meals...

Obviously, I plan to pack lots of food items that do not require refrigeration but know I cannot survive on those alone.  My first leg of the trip, I plan to take a cooler with a heavy ice pack and some cold items.  But that won't stay cold after the first 24 hours.

Suggestions appreciated! :)

I think most hotels will have ice so you can always just get more ice if what you initially pack melts. So days 1 and 2 you can certainly have hard boiled eggs, tuna and salmon packets don't require refrigeration, you can also pack oranges, bananas, nuts, and almond butter. I would take canned veggies and a can opener--green beans are decent cold. 

• Moderators

Canned sardines in water. I know, sounds icky but really surprisingly tasty!

A couple of avocados, a jar of green olives, or a packet or two of coconut oil. Macadamia nuts/nutbutter too, but try to stay away from using that for your only source of fat.

Curried Coconut Chips from Well Fed for emergency snack or add to any salad. Coconut flakes toasted in a pan, then sprinkle liberally with cinnamon, curry powder and sea salt. Easy to make ahead.

Baby carrots. I always have some on hand. They can survive at room temp for a few hours.

I think everyones suggestions are great!

At restaurants, you can simply say that you have some strict food allergies/intolerance. Nearly EVERY restaurant will have grilled chicken or steak and lettuce - just order a salad with grilled meat. Make and bring your own dressing, or just ask for olive oil/vinegar.

Any nicer place is going to be willing to please the customer. You can always have them hold the sauces or dressings for vegetables. Tell the server your restrictions and let him/her recommend something. 

I understand not wanting to look like a crazy person so just chalk it up to a medical condition if you need to. "I know salad dressing usually doesn't have gluten/yeast/whatever, but I am really sensitive so I prefer to just prepare my own rather than risk it." When I first went gluten free I just pretended I had a medical problem because then waiters would take it more seriously. 

On the other hand, you can always explain a bit about the diet. Its a nice icebreaker if conversation with business associates gets slow!

Archived