Julie's Life Is Good August Whole 30

joolie

Day -2

9:15am 2 whole eggs, 10 small carrots, 3 sweet peppers, spoonful of almond butter.

1:15pm Guests arrived before I could make lunch. Settled for a lot of water and 1/2 apple that husband shared with me.

4:00pm Big green salad with red onions, peppers and pinapple chunks and 1 can of Genova Tuna in olive oil and a few pecans.

7:30pm Steak, carrots, almond butter, date.

Sleep:7+ hours

Water: 96 oz

The husband made snowcones for the kids and their friends and as I was serving them up, a bit ran down my arm, so of course I licked it :P. Whoops! As soon as the sweetness hit my tongue, I realized what I had done. If it wasn't day -2, I would probably have been a little ticked off, but it served as a good reminder that I need to start being aware.

I like the -2 concept :) it's a good way to start!

I'd personally up your breakfast protein- a serve of eggs is as many as you can hold in your hand. That's likely 3-4!

Also try and mix your vegies up a bit, you'll get a bigger range of nutrients if you can include lots of different types

Day -1

Had to work early this a.m. so I only have 5.5 hours of sleep in me. I just got off work and had breakfast and will likely nap later. Slept great for the time I spent in bed, though. Seriously happy that one day in and my face is less puffy. My first goal of these 30 days is to get my wedding ring on. I've been 15 pounds lighter and still haven't been able to get my ring on, but every time I eat in a paleo manner, I have my ring on comfortably within about 5 days...even with extra pounds on my frame. I'm looking forward to it. It has been YEARS since I have been able to wear it regularly. I want to get it on and keep it on.

10:30am Steak, eggs, veggies cooked up in olive oil with a side of avocado and 1/2 apple.

2:15pm Turkey burger, veggie, pineapple, pecan, date lettuce wraps.

7:00pm Steak, eggs, carrots, almond butter, baked apple slices with cinnamon.

Sleep: 5.5 hours

Day 1 - WOW!! I'm so happy that I did a day -2 and a day -1. It's now officially day one and I'm already reaping the benefits! My face is again noticeably less puffy this morning and my tummy bloat is gone - when I put my work shirt on this morning it felt roomy :). Short but intense headaches on day -2, day -1 and today, official day 1. Hoping these subside soon. They are short in duration but sure hurt.Today's the big shopping day for our weekend camping trip. I love eating Genova tuna straight from the can, so I think I'll have that for lunch each day with some veggies or fruit. I'm sticking with eggs for breakfast. I haven't decided on dinners yet. Although we're tent camping, we're going with my parents, who have a trailer with a stove and oven and fridge, so I'm fortunate to practice on this trip...but we have a couple more in August that won't be as easy.

9:00 am Sweet potato, onion, pepper, chicken and 2 whole egg breakfast scramble.

12:45 pm Green leaf and tomato salad topped with turkey burger crumbles, a few pecans and some pineapple juice as dressing. Baby carrots and almond butter.

5:45 pm Spaghetti Squash with hamburger red sauce and ghee.

Sleep: 6.5 hours - this is something I need to work on. 4 days a week I get at least 8 hours but on the three days that I work an early shift, I'm up at 4am and I do not make it a priority to get to bed early the night before. Because my other job is home based I can easily take naps, but I would prefer to not nap, so I'm hoping during my whole 30 that I'll start naturally falling asleep earlier on those other three nights.

Day 2 and Whoa-oa-oa! I feel good, I knew that I would, now
I feel good, I knew that I would, now
So good, so good, I got you WHOLE 30!!!

Sleep: 7+ hours

Water Goal each day over the weekend: 96oz

Sleep Goal: 8 hours

Whole 30 Goal: Focus on the people, not on the food.

I'm taking the kids to a family camp out this morning. Wish me luck. All my meals should be fine. My only concern is we have a family tradition of having Floppies for breakfast one day - this started with my grandmother and when she died, the cooking was passed down to my cousin. He died of Leukemia two years ago and now the job of floppie maker has passed down to his 10 year old son. Floppies are kind of like crepes. Anyways, I DO love them - even just the texture of them brings back awesome childhood memories. It's not a matter of not being able to turn them down because they aren't Whole30 compliant, it's an emotional thing about not being part of the tradition. I've got many years ahead of me when I can participate, though, so I WILL skip them this time and just focus on the people and having great conversations at that breakfast. I'm sure we'll be doing this breakfast all over again in December, so I'll just wait until then. Have a great weekend!!!

Spent days 2, 3 and 4 at a family camp out and had an amazing time. I didn't break!! Go me!! So many chances to eat some incredibly yummy food and I chose focusing on people more than food and also enjoyed the food I ate! There were some chickens on the property we were camping on, so fresh eggs each morning. SOOOOO GOOD! More details later on things I learned about myself and my eating habits, for now I will tell you that it has been years since I've been able to wear my wedding ring and my first goal of these 30 days was to get it back on and keep it on. 4 (6 if you count my practice days) days in and I've got that sucker on my finger :D. Life IS good!!

post-3049-0-25336300-1375673346_thumb.jp

Hi Joolie

Congrats and go you! I'm really impressed that you have noticed a difference already - it gives me hope! I'm just coming to the end of Day 1 and I'm really missing the sugar in my tea and coffee already. sigh.

Keep going - and thanks for inspiring me.

Jayne

Day 5

I miss my boy!!! I hope he's having an amazing time at camp.

I've discovered that my #1 way to succeed at this involves a lot of getting out and doing things and not thinking so much about what I'm not eating. I love to get out and do things, so maybe that's why this is easier than harder so far. Took a quick break from work down to the river to cool off with the husband, the girl and some girlfriends. Keeping my mind off of it has been so much easier with only dealing with 3 meals a day. I've been in the 5-6 meal a day camp for a long time, so this is great!

10:45am Fried eggs, watermelon, carrots and almond butter.

1:30pm Big green salad topped with a few almonds, a few strawberries, a few raisens, chicken and a little pineapple juice as a dressing.

5:30pm Little spoonful of coconut butter, spaghetti squash with ground beef and red sauce and some ghee.

Sleep: 5.5 hours, but I get to sleep in tomorrow!!

I'm the one on the left :)

post-3049-0-35188300-1375747834_thumb.jp

It's the end of day 6 and I feel AHmazing! Face and finger bloat - gone! Heartburn - gone! Tummy aches - gone! Today was also the first day I've worked out since starting the Whole30. I got a little weak/lightheaded, but I think it was more likely because I waited too long after my pre workout meal.

I felt good enough to add a swim in later in the day.

Sleep: 8 hours

Water: Not sure - I didn't keep track today. Not as much as I would have liked, but probably plenty.

8am 2 whole eggs pre-workout

9:15am Upper Body Weight Workout and 15 minutes of cardio

10:45am post workout chicken and sweet potato

2:00pm Spoonful of coconut butter. Hamburger and red sauce but I wasn't hungry for spaghetti squash so I ate it without the squash. I did manage to add in some carrots before I got too full.

3:15pm 1/2 hour lap swim

7:45pm Tilapia cooked in coconut oil and a yummy cabbage/jalepeno/lime/red onion/tomato salsa that I ate as a salad topped with some almonds.

Day 7

Not my best planned day at all. I was on the run all day and definitely didn't drink enough water.

I had to work early this a.m. and had trouble falling asleep in the heat last night and the dog woke me early with some nice kisses, so probably only 5 hours of sleep.

We were practicing body comps on each other at the club today so I had to weigh in. I've lost 10 pounds in the last 9 days. No wonder my bloat feels gone.

5:45am Hamburger patty. I normally don't eat before work but I was going to try to slip in a workout so I needed some energy.

11:30am Was headed home after work and planning on fixing a great lunch and found out everyone was going to the river so I grabbed a Lara bar and ate that instead.

3:00pm Cabbage Salsa/Salad and hamburger patty.

5:30pm Headed out the door to a fundraiser and had a handful of pistachios to tide me over until we got home. At the fundraiser I managed to put together a salad with iceberg lettuce, red onions and tomatoes I stole from the condiment table.

8:45pm Coconut Tilapia and carrots with almond butter.

Tomorrow I'm home all day working, so my meals will be MUCH better.

OMG I just looked up 10lbs and that's 4.5kg - I hope I get results like you. Maybe I need to up my exercise?? I feel a little less bloated but I don't think I've actually lost much weight - soooo tempted to jump on the scales for a sneak peek but staying strong. lol

Have a great day at home!

OMG I just looked up 10lbs and that's 4.5kg - I hope I get results like you. Maybe I need to up my exercise?? I feel a little less bloated but I don't think I've actually lost much weight - soooo tempted to jump on the scales for a sneak peek but staying strong. lol

Have a great day at home!

I was REALLY carb bloated so I'm sure a bunch of that was water, but I'm noticeably leaner in my face and waist. I've only exercised one day and then a mini workout yesterday a.m. but I imagine that bumping up my exercise routine is going to really put things in overdrive. How much to you exercise now, Jayne?

I'm trying to do at least 30 minutes walking per day and have managed that each day except today. I didn't go "out" for a walk cos I started back at work this afternoon. I'm an RN on a busy surgical ward and walk lots up and down from 3pm till 11pm. I'm hoping to bike to work when the weather starts to warm up a bit (20mins each way).

But I should probably look at doing something else as well - maybe I could start doing some Yoga or Pilates at home.

I'm trying to do at least 30 minutes walking per day and have managed that each day except today. I didn't go "out" for a walk cos I started back at work this afternoon. I'm an RN on a busy surgical ward and walk lots up and down from 3pm till 11pm. I'm hoping to bike to work when the weather starts to warm up a bit (20mins each way).

But I should probably look at doing something else as well - maybe I could start doing some Yoga or Pilates at home.

Sounds great! Adding in some intervals would be good, too - either on your bike rides or walks. Something simple like ride hard for 1 minute, ride regular for 3 minutes, ride hard for 1 minute, etc.

I just slept for 11 HOURS!! I needed it. Hopefully it makes up for only getting 6 the night before. Here's yesterday's meals:

Day 8

8:30am Pre workout eggs cooked in ghee and a little spoonful of coconut butter

9:15am Upper body workout

10:45am Post workout meal of egg whites and sweet potato

3:00pm Big plateful of salad that was primary made up of the cabbage salsa and then topped with a small box of raisens, a little guac and chicken breast. Bite of coconut butter.

6:00pm carrots and almond butter. Was feeling snacky and had no protein on hand so I ate it and then went to the store for MEAT!

7:30pm Wasn't hungry enough for spaghetti squash, so I just ate the sauce - red sauce with ground hamburger and some ghee. YUM!

I need to step it up in the nutrition department. I'm definitely not getting enough variety in my veggies. It's probably not going to get much better this next week while we're camping but I'm sure going to try! I'm feeling good about the camping trip. I've already lived through one on the whole 30 so I know I can do it...although this trip is twice as long as the first. The only other challenge this week is a wedding on Saturday. I don't think they are serving alcohol and I think this is the first time I've ever appreciated that at a wedding :P I'll probably eat right before we go and then dinner when I get home and skip on food completely at the event.

I had my first real feeling of weakness this week. Jack got home from camp yesterday and I went to make him some mac and cheese and I ALWAYS have the first bite after I make it. I don't normally eat M&C, just the first hot cheesey bite and then serve him. It's a habit...and such a dumb one. Anyways, I'll get him off M&C one day, too. He's a picky picky picky little eater, so I'm taking him off of his favorite unhealthy foods one at at ime. Gold Fish were the first to go. I think M&C will be next.

DAY 9 was not pretty in the veggie department. At. All.

Moving on.

So...I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but I've lost all appetite and desire for food. For the first time in my life. I think part of it must be that I've been so busy I haven't had time to plan any yummy meals :-( If I'm looking at this long term, I need to take the time to figure out some veggies in my meals

10:30am pre workout 2 eggs cooked in olive oil

11:00am interval treadmill workout

12:00pm post workout 1/2 sweet potato, chicken, 1/2 apple

3:30pm Spaghetti Squash with hamburger and red sauce and ghee

6:30pm Couple bites of steak...on the run

7:30pm Dried apricots...on the run

8:15pm Finished off the steak

9:30pm snack attack - couple little bites of almond butter. This was just plain dumb. I was actually in bed and I got up - knew I wasn't the slightest bit hungry - and grabbed a spoon and the jar...which was packed away for camping and not easily accessible. It didn't taste good either, which is strange. I love almond butter.

Sleep: 7.5 hours

Water: not enough

Ok then...on to Day 10!!!!!

Day 16!! I can't believe I made it through that camping trip! I felt SO deprived I almost cried a couple of times.

My time away started with a wedding last Saturday where there was NOTHING I could have. I gave my empty plate to my brother so he could feed one of his kids, so at least I didn't have an empty plate in front of me. I ate before I left for the event, so I wasn't hungry, just felt a little awkward at a sit down dinner and being the only one not eating. But I did it!

Then Sunday through Thursday I was camping with my kids. I needed three coolers...but I only had room for one...and it had to also contain all the water we needed. I ate too many nuts, not enough veggies...but I also didn't eat any root beer floats, my mom's amazing chocolate zucchini cake, hamburgers on the bun, smores, drink wine by the fire or partake in any of the other numerous amounts of other yummies that were avaliable. I seriously did feel deprived. Especially after I got our huge tent up and couldn't have my after tent putting up drink :P

HOWEVER>>> as hard as the hits were mentally and emotionally (and they were HARD), my BODY has never felt better. My face is changing a lot! My tummy is so much smaller. My ankle swelling is gone! I haven't had a tummy ache in the last two weeks. I generally have at least one a day, if not after several meals per day, but not a single tummy ache or case of indigestion (which was BAD before Whole30). I go to bed and fall asleep IMMEDIATELY. My time of month snuck up on me yesterday with no week before bloating, no irritibility (except maybe the deprivation feelings were from that?) and no cramps AT ALL. This is huge!

I fit into a bunch of old clothes!! but because I carry my weight mostly in my torso/belly, the change in how my shirts look on me is the best of all. My belly isn't hanging over my waistband of the pants and the abdomen isn't sticking out, so my shirts look so much better on me.

I've been fighting with feeling all week about how awful it's going to be to finish the rest of this month out and worries about where I want it to lead in September. To be honest, I do not really enjoy eating this way at all. If I were a good cook, maybe it would be different, but I need to honestly look at how I can transfer this over to long term. Although I would like to say the great way my body is reacting to Whole30 in terms of inflammation and lack of tummy troubles etc is the benefit that's keeping me going, I have to say that it's the change I see in the mirror that is keeping me going right now. I guess I'll ride that for awhile :P

Glad to be home so I can stick to the template better and hopefully not feel so weak. We're heading out for our third camping trip of this Whole30 next Thursday through Sunday. It will be the hardest, but I've got two under my belt and I have no plans of stopping now!

Day 16 went great! I've been too busy to work out, though :-( I did get one 30 minute river "lap" swim in on my camping trip, as well as a day of hiking with the kids. Our campsite was up and down a nice incline to the river, so my legs got in a good workout every day.

My plan is to run tomorrow and try to get back in the swing of regular workouts.

Sleep: 8 hours

Water: Not enough - better go drink something now before it's too close to bedtime.

9:00am Ground beef, two eggs, snow peas, carrots.

12:30pm Ground beef in red sauce. No veggies besides the sauce...I'm really struggling in this department.

5:00pm Chipotle Salad Bowl with Carnitas, salsa, and guac.

8:30pm Ground beef in red sauce.

I love your log!  BTW, I'm really struggling with veggies too.  I actually really love veggies, and always have, but I am just sick of them lately.  I'm trying to find some fun new things to do with them.  I just found NomNomPaleo's carrot & parsnip puree.  She uses butter, and I don't have any ghee, so I'll just make do with coconut oil and olive oil.  

And I'm currently browsing Chowstalker for Whole30 veggie recipes.  I just need something more exciting lately than steamed, raw, or sauteed veggies.

I love your log!  BTW, I'm really struggling with veggies too.  I actually really love veggies, and always have, but I am just sick of them lately.  I'm trying to find some fun new things to do with them.  I just found NomNomPaleo's carrot & parsnip puree.  She uses butter, and I don't have any ghee, so I'll just make do with coconut oil and olive oil.  

And I'm currently browsing Chowstalker for Whole30 veggie recipes.  I just need something more exciting lately than steamed, raw, or sauteed veggies.

I'm definitely going to be more adventurous in my veggie prep come September. Just seems there is no time for any detailed recipes for me this month.

Archived