Mayo disaster!

I have tried twice now to make mayo, and failed completely.  The first time I followed the recipe in ISWF and used my blender....I literally broke the mayo...it ended up all curdled and never did get thick.  The second time I used my immersion blender, and it wasn't thick, so I added another egg, and it thickened up a bit, so I decided to add one more egg....ugh...it was liquid again. 

Needless to say I used up an entire bottle of light tasting olive oil.  I am going to try one more time over the weekend, and if that doesn't work, then I will just have to do without mayo. :(

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Genn

What are you doing wrong??  It's so easy!  Sorry... not v helpful am I?  LOL.  Do you have a blender or a food processor?  What are you using?  I use a small food processor and do it as follows:

Break one egg into processor and add 2 tbsps of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder and a 1/4 cup of oil.  Give that a whizz.  Then put 1 cup (250ml) of oil into a good pouring jug and while the blender is whizzing away, add the oil in the teeniest little trickle you can manage.  Your shoulder will get sore.  Just keep going until all all the oil is in there.  I've done this before in a hurry and added the oil a bit more quickly and it's never as thick and creamy.  The slower the better.   Good luck!

I have this problem from time to time too. I do it the same way, every time, using the same brands of stuff and eggs from the same farmer, and sometimes it just doesn't make. I haven't figured out why yet either. Last night I wasted an entire bottle of olive oil trying to make it. But, two weeks ago, it made just right. I hope someone has the magic answer to solve our mayo disasters! 

I have been lucky every time. I leave the egg and the lemon juice for 1 hour in my food processor to come to room temp. Then add the rest of the ingrediants I use my food processor on low and it takes me abut 3 min to drizzle the olive oil in.

The keys:
- make sure egg and lemon juice are at room temp (leave out for at least 30 minutes),
- when you blend, blend on the low setting only
- do the slow drip of the olive oil (vs. pouring it all in at once)

I follow the video from Melissa Joulwan (author of Well Fed), and it's come out perfectly for me every time. http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/

I use two different recipes - one from the clothes make the girl which comes out thicker but cannot overemphasize the importance of room temperature ingredients and SLOOOOOOOOOOW oil addition  http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/   this one I use a mini food processor

and the other makes less, is less thick, but is ready to go in 30 seconds with my immersion blender.  That's the one from paleomg http://paleomg.com/4th-of-july-egg-and-potato-salad/   

I had several epic disasters in the beginning as well, room temperature made all the difference.  But now that I use the immersion blender I just dump everything together and off I go!  Good luck!

I tried making it last night...let it sit out for about 40 minutes. Luckily, it did not curdle like most people's I've read, but it was way too runny to be considered "mayo." I went ahead & made that into the ranch dressing recipe from Well Fed.

I am attempting another batch of mayo today. This time I'm letting the egg/lemon juice sit out for longer--an hour to an hour & a half.

Anyone have any other tips to why it's not thickening up??

Is it possible that it's altitude? Sounds silly, but ya never know!

Archived