Now Super Enzymes and Now HCL

ErinK

I've been using NOW Super Enzymes for a few weeks now and I noticed a difference, although I am not the best at remembering to take them before every meal, but my stomach still has some issues and I want to make sure that I am still on the right track to healing my gut. I bought NOW HCL as I saw someone recommend it in the forums. Can anyone speak on taking the two supplements together? I'm not sure if the HCL is meant to replace the Enzymes or be taken with them for additional support. 

I just want a normally functioning gut all the time! Ugh.

So Now Super Enzymes and Now HCL are basically the same thing. The HCL just has a little extra to aid in digestion. I would NOT double up on the two. 

If you are looking more digestive aid I would try looking into fermented foods like sauerkraut or kombucha. I have added these into my diet daily and it has made a huge difference in my gut health and they are super tasty. 

Good to know! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will use the HCL in place of the Super Enzymes for a while and continue drinking Kombucha to see if that clears things up. I also got Natural Calm magnesium that I'm going to try before bed.

HCL and Enzymes work differently as I understand it. HCL is the first digestive enzyme and it can break down protein so the other enzymes can digest it further. It also kills off bad pathogens (like h pylori) that enter our stomachs so we don't get sick. I take HCL separately because I've had issues with low stomach acid. If your enzymes have both, then you are set.

From the Whole9 blog: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

"The short answer is that you should take a combined product or both enzymes and additional HCL when you need the additional HCL. Many people need both, but not everyone. Some people need just enzymes, others just need HCL.

The only real way to know for sure is to do some testing. Short of that, you can do some experimentation with HCL and enzymes to see what works best for you. HCL can cause irritation and discomfort if the guts are inflamed, but is otherwise quite safe.

I hope that helps. Best of luck with your family's health concerns

Best,
Dr Tim Gerstmar"

I didn't notice anything with the NOW Superfoods, so I am thinking of adding HCL only or HCL and Ox Bile without the rest.  As they say "individual results may vary."

I noticed the label of the Now Enzymes only has 200 mg  of HCL. The tablets of HCL that I take are 600 mg each and I take 2-3 with each meal. That's why I don't like combined products.

Bet how has the HCL been working for you when you take it by itself? I'm wondering if it will be more effective to take the higher HCL by itself or the lower HCL that's included already in the Super Enzymes I'm taking now.

It does work for me. I know I had low stomach acid (I had virtually no B12 in my system despite taking a supplement). I wasn't taking the other enzymes and I just added them and don't see a huge difference. But I will finish the bottle.  At one point I was taking 6 HCL per meal but am now down to 2-3 per meal.

If you think you have low stomach acid, it is probably a good idea to take more HCL. Have you ever had GERD or taken Acid Reducers?

No I have not. My stomach is so temperamental. For a while I thought I was back on track and things were good but the past few days I've been completely backed up and experiencing some of the bloat and gas issues again. I really have no idea what's actually the issue so I'm trying different things. It's so frustrating that I haven't pinpointed it yet. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have the same question as amberino. I have read on other threads that people are taking 2-4 per meal. I just started with these last night and am only taking 1. I'm not sure how long it takes to notice a difference so I don't want to increase if its not needed.

Has anyone noticed the statement: "may contain lactose (milk) as a processing agent" on the label of the Now Super Enzymes?

I can't believe I only just noticed this as I have been using them for a awhile, but I am guessing I didn't read the label closely since they are recommended both in ISWF and on this forum. Would this not be a concern for someone with lactose issues? Or is the amount so small in processing it is irrelevant?

I take one super enzyme per meal and one HCL per meal when it includes meat (skip it when eggs are my protein).  My digestion is much imjproved.  It was actually the HCL that made the biggest impact.

I'm actually wondering how to wean off them?  I've been on them about 5 months and am going to start skipping them at one meal a day (lunch) and see how it goes.  Theoretically, you should be able to get off them once your stomach remembers what to do.  We'll see, I guess.  I'm fine taking them forever if it helps, but I hate to keep taking them (i.e. paying for them) if I don't actually need them.

Anyone else successfully weaned off enzymes?

Amberino and lbow,

Some practitioners recommend beginning with 3 enzyme capsules, and paying attention to whether or not you feel a warm/tingling sensation in your stomach after the meal.  If no warm tingling sensation is felt, then it's usually recommended to increase until the sensation is experienced (up to 6 capsules max).  If it is felt, then decrease by 1 at the next meal (until you're back down to 1 or 0 eventually).

I don't believe there is any scientific evidence supporting this method of use for the enzymes (and I think it originally began just for betaine HCl), but it continues to be used and recommended as a successful "personalized" approach to digestive enzymes.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed the statement: "may contain lactose (milk) as a processing agent" on the label of the Now Super Enzymes?

I can't believe I only just noticed this as I have been using them for a awhile, but I am guessing I didn't read the label closely since they are recommended both in ISWF and on this forum. Would this not be a concern for someone with lactose issues? Or is the amount so small in processing it is irrelevant?

Mine have just arrived and they also contain sulphites - are they ok on Whole30??

Guest Andria

Mine have just arrived and they also contain sulphites - are they ok on Whole30??

Hmmm, I just looked and I see the "contains sulfites" is written just before the lactose comment. Sulfites are a no no unless naturally occurring.

Now I'm confused, these are the enzymes that the whole30 recommends.

Can a moderator chime in??

• 2 weeks later...

Nico, thank you for the link. I am pretty upset to be halfway (and if the forum wasn't down for so long, maybe I would have found your reply sooner!)through my Whole30 finding this out. I didn't read the label initially since it was recommended in ISWF. I know, always read labels as they can reformulated things.

Well, I am not restarting (I have had so many false start before) and will end on my regular scheduled day, Oct 30, and make a decision from there whether to continue strict Whole30 for another 14 days.

Mad, mad, mad!

On a positive note, though, this may explain my unexplained indigestion especially since I was taking 2 caps per meal for a little while.....

Ok I read the article in the link - http://www.whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/ - and the only brand I see recommended is the one that is no longer recommended. Can anyone do a little of my dirty work and mention the compliant enzymes they are currently using? Yes, I will still read the label it will just save some time from having to read all the labels with such small print! Thanks

The article also mentions Jarrow, Thorne, and Klaire.

I do believe the mods said that the minute amounts won't bother most.  If you suspect a problem with dairy or sulfites, it is a good idea to discontinue their consumption.

Oops, poor reading skills on my part, sorry.

Well I have been having indigestion and other digestive issue that I haven't had before so I want to be pretty strict. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes,, I think that it would behoove the moderators to fix this!!! I have been on the forums for days looking for suggestions and Now super enzymes are recommended all over the site.

Was going to purchase the Now brand enzyme today. Glad I happened upon this. Please make it more widely known that it is not compliant.

Archived