Veggies are my downfall!

ltlfroggie

I'm planning to start my Whole30 on Monday.  I've signed up for the newsletter and everything.

Here is my problem.  I really don't like veggies.  I like green beans and uh...nothing else that is on the list.  I don't think.  Well, I do eat salad made from spring mix, kale, spinach...

So...what do you recommend?  I certainly do not want to live the next 30 days on proteins, healthy fats and green beans/salad.  Though if that is all I like, is that horrible?

I do like fruit much better but understand I shouldn't eat too much of that...

Thoughts?  Besides just to suck it up and eat veggies? haha! 

Thanks,

Jackie

Are you willing to experiment?  Maybe try introducing one new veggie a week?  Sweet potatoes, turnips, broccoli, asparagus - for example - that would take you through 4 weeks. 

Yep, don't let fruit push veggies off your plate. Aim for at least 1 cup (ideally 2 cups) of veggies per meal, with fruit servings of 1-2 servings per day (a fruit serving is the size of your fist).

• Moderators

I understand thinking you don't like them because many people grow up getting tasteless crap that has just been warmed up after being removed from a can. But veggies can be incredibly good when prepared properly.

If you are willing to experience really tasty veggies, go to http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/ and find any of my Skillet Roasted recipes. The veggies taste great when roasted in a cast iron skillet with meat. And be sure to use plenty of salt and other spices. You should not have to endure bland food.

OK - so I am actually looking at the list now.  I will eat/have tried:

bell peppers

garlic

green beans

kale

lettuce

onions

pumpkin

spinach

sweet potato

tomatoes

Guess I'm not quite as horrible as I thought but still not good at all. 

I am definitely going to look at the recipes.  And you are right, I grew up eating no veggies and if I did they were from a can and not cooked well.  I need to find stuff that actually tastes good!

OK - so I am actually looking at the list now.  I will eat/have tried:

bell peppers

garlic

green beans

kale

lettuce

onions

pumpkin

spinach

sweet potato

tomatoes

Guess I'm not quite as horrible as I thought but still not good at all. 

I am definitely going to look at the recipes.  And you are right, I grew up eating no veggies and if I did they were from a can and not cooked well.  I need to find stuff that actually tastes good!

That's a pretty rockin' list for someone who claims to not like veggies, and whose previous exposure to them has been the canned stuff.  I think you're gonna do fine.  Just go out and buy those and you'll see, that'll get you through the first week at least.  And follow Tom's advice about cooking.  The man knows whereof he speaks.  And how!  :wub:

I came from a similar place. This is where we have to be grown ups and make ourselves try things. One thing I did was sign up for a CSA so I couldn't just pick and choose what I wanted but was forced out of my comfort zone a bit. Once my taste buds started recovering from all the artificial garbage vegetables tasted so much better to me! Make yourself try new things and cooking methods. You won't be sorry. I'm not.

I'm a firm believer that most people don't like vegetables because they grew up with people who didn't know how to cook them. An idea on venturing from your list is choosing vegetables that are close to the ones you already enjoy. Kale is on your list, Swiss chard is similar and, I think, a little more mild, butternut squash is similar to sweet potatoes. I enjoy it roasted with some rosemary and red peppers. Carrots are pretty universal as well. The main thing to do is not be afraid of new stuff. You have a good list for someone who doesn't like vegetables. 

I grew up with parents who planted spring, summer and fall gardens every year! We had three freezers to hold all the veggies that weren't canned along with the cow and pig they had slaughtered every year. Unfortunately after growing up and moving away I got away from that type of eating.

My husband wasn't an adventurous veggie eater so I started him on stuff like zuchinni, sweet potatoes and swiss chard then progressed to other types of squashes, greens and veggies.. like eggplant, parsnips, cauliflower etc etc.

• Moderators

Almost any veggie tastes simply amazing if you toss it with olive oil or melted coconut oil and a little kosher or sea salt, then roast at 400 for 10-25 minutes. Cut the pieces into about a square inch or a little bigger, turn once -- should get brown on the bottom. 

My favorites:

Broccoli (seriously, you MUST try this, tastes NOTHING like broccoli you know)

Butternut squash

Beets (drizzle a little orange juice on them too)

Cauliflower (add some cumin) 

I am a recovering greens-a-phobe. I have ALWAYS hated greens - spinach, mesclun, most lettuce, ESPECIALLY KALE. I literally ate nothing by iceberg and romaine. I just love that crisp texture and zero flavor!

But since I started the whole30 I have tried to incorporate them into my diet. I am making progress. I just decided its time for me to grow up and enjoy adult salad. 

You can learn to love vegetables too! As someone said, fat and salt make all veggies taste better. 

Get yourself some infused olive oils and saute your stuff in that. Chipotle oil is to die for. 

Try throwing some cucumber and green onion in your salad. They are light and not overpowering. 

And how can you not like broccoli??? They are little trees! The best!

Chopped cauliflower fried in oil and seasoned with Season Salt - they kind of taste like tator tots! 

Your life is about to change so much, and so will your tastes.  I like veggies ok and have tried lots of them, but I love them now.  This eating style is so different, it is OK to cook your veggies with healthy fats and that makes all the difference in the world.  Toss your veggie of choice with olive oil or ghee and salt, roast them for 25 minutes at 400 in the oven, finish with balsamic viniger.  Best dish ever!  Works for tons of veggies and teates so good, especially after your taste buds reset.

I can't go a week without brussel sprouts cooked this way now.

I second Bethany's suggestion.  We've gotten a CSA box for 4 summers now and it has exposed us to veggies we normally wouldn't have thought to buy.  I try to make it an adventure for the kids (and husband!) and try to mix it up with different recipes and methods of preparing the vegetables.  Nobody has to like them.  They just have to eat them and decide if they like them or not.  Making it an adventure helps remove the kids' initial resistance to something new.  You could try the same mind trick on yourself. :) 

Archived