Exhausted!

CatDavis87

Hello! 

I just started my Whole30 about 4 days ago and I am utterly exhausted. I wasn't the first couple of days but it was the weekend and all I did was homework. However, the past two days when I get home from work, I'm so tired that I can barely stay awake. Let's be real - I totally had to take a nap for like an hour tonight and could still probably go sleep for 12 hours. last night, I slept from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. 

Normally I'd be ecstatic about this because I've been an insomniac for much of my adult life but this is a bit of an extreme switch very quickly. Anyone else experience this?

most people!

I found eating some starchy carbs (usually with breakfast) helped with energy, but the first few days were a struggle. I put it down to your body not being used to using fat for energy - when it's not getting loads of carbs, but doesn't know to use the fat, it's struggletown!

are you part of a support thread with people who started around the same time as you? if not, find one! it'll be helpful to know that other people are going through the same things as you :)

Obviously you were sleep deprived and now your body can sleep, so it is. Since most of our body regeneration happens when we sleep , you must have a lot of repairing to be done! Let it happen.

I'm in the same boat! I'm on day 9 and exhausted as well. I didn't think I ate a lot of grains and carbs beforehand, but I guess I was wrong. Does the amount of carbs you relied on before Whole30 play a role in how long the "exhaustion" phase lasts during a Whole30? My husband is getting worried about me and, even though he's read the Whole30 blogs, he's pretty skeptical about me continuing if I keep feeling exhausted. 

I have been on paleo for 3 weeks. I was experiencing the same the same thing for 2 weeks. Things began to turn normal in the last 4 days.Never in my life since i was a child, i didn't need to sleep more than 6 hours. Not insomniac. 5-6 hrs were all i needed. After starting paleo, i literally began to have sleep comas. I would pass out at 10 and didn't get up until 7-8 in the morning which drove me crazy! One day i just had to call in sick and skip work.

The following week, it got little better and now i am finally back to my normal sleeping hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was just me! I kept reading about how everyone had amazing amounts of energy, but I feel like mine's been sapped. I just want to sleep all day long. Granted, I'm only on Day 5, but still ..... It's been snooze-city for me the last week!

• 3 weeks later...

WOW!  I've started Whole 30 on Mon (9/2) and I've been exhausted since that time.  I walk my dog about 1/2 mile in the morning and this morning, I barely had enough energy to make it back.  :(  I'm used to exercising every morning for 20-30 minutes.  I haven't had the energy to exercise for 2 days.  I've also had the worst headache.  I took 3 benadryl last night to make sleep because I wanted to cut my head off.  The headache is better today but it's still there.  I hate headaches!  

I was a carbaholic and glad to see that this will pass.

Hangin' in there...

I also get more tired when it's that time of the month. I'm usually just fine with waking up after 8 hours of sleep (maybe a little sleepy still, but legitimately awake, if that makes sense) but every time Aunt Flo's in town...well, yesterday I took a 30 minute nap after the alarm went off, and today it was almost an hour and a half.

Upping my carb intake for sure this week.

Same here - I just finished day 5 today and took a 2-hour nap that was the deepest sleep I think I've ever experienced.  

I'm doing Whole 30 in order to improve my sleep - I wake up every single night at either 2 or 3am on the dot. Since starting this, I now wake up a 4:50am on the dot, a slight improvement. I hope it keeps getting a little bit later, 6:30 or 7am would be perfect!  

I'm glad I found your post.  I also have been feeling really exhausted.  I am on day 11 and finding it difficult to do much and I feel dizzy quite a bit also.  I feel like my body wants something although I'm not hungry just a little bored with my protein and vegetables even though I'm trying to spice them up a bit.  I just don't like feeling so exhausted and having such low energy.  I'm glad to read others are experiencing this same thing.  I wouldn't describe it as flu so I wasn't sure if I was experiencing something different than what was describe in the book.  I am hoping it will be better by next week.

If you are doing a Whole30 make sure you are eating enough protein and enough good fats along with some good carbs.  On days I was more tired I could look at my food journal and see what I was missing...I starting eating way more sweet potatoes and more green veggies!

I was very tired and SUPER cranky for 2 weeks in my Whole30.  It gets better, trust me.  I still feel pretty good with re-intros and I am still sleeping straight through the night! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived