What do You Like from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods?

I can't go often because it's SO far away but when I went last I got some dried, no sugar added cherries.  FTMP I completely resist sugar cravings and I have quit snacking almost completely (I NEVER thought that would happen).  But every once in awhile I'll mix a small handful of cherries with a small handful of cashews or almonds.  If I have a sweets craving I just can't kick just a couple of bites will satisfy me.  I keep seeing people say their cherries have added sugar but the ones I got definitely did not.  They were really tart, not overly sweet, and I checked the ingredients.  I wonder if all the stores don't have those.

• 8 months later...

Trader Joe's has dried mango that is nothing but mango, dried apricots with nothing added - no sulphites (they have lots of kinds of dried apricots so you have to be careful), and my favorite although it looks pretty weird and takes some getting used to, flat bananas which are nothing but dried banana. Unfortunately their cherries, cranberries and coconut of all kinds has added sugar! 

It seems like those "dried, flattened bananas" aren't actually just bananas. They say on the front they are "nothing but dried flattened banana" but the ingredients are "bananas, sulfur dioxide." Noticed that fine print after eating one last night :( It was a true accident though, I honestly thought it was ok and only had one. So I'm not going back to day one over it, but just sayin'.

It seems like those "dried, flattened bananas" aren't actually just bananas. They say on the front they are "nothing but dried flattened banana" but the ingredients are "bananas, sulfur dioxide." Noticed that fine print after eating one last night :( It was a true accident though, I honestly thought it was ok and only had one. So I'm not going back to day one over it, but just sayin'

How many days for you now?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My Trader Joe's has bags of shredded Brussels sprouts (not organic) that I just love. Saute 'em with bacon and onions... I can eat two-thirds of the bag at one meal. Yum.

At Whole Foods, I get Pedersen's sugar-free bacon, especially when it is on sale. Also grass-fed organic ground beef, organic eggs, and organic butter to clarify.

ann

• 2 weeks later...
  • Regarding the TJs Organic Free Range Chicken Broth...these are the ingredients...

• Organic chicken broth (filtered water, organic chicken), organic onions, organic celery, organic carrots, natural chicken flavor (natural chicken stock, natural chicken flavor, salt), sea salt, organic expeller pressed canola oil and/or safflower oil, organic flavor.

I thought that the canola and/or safflower oil would make this non-compliant so I didn't buy it. Am I wrong?

I thought that the canola and/or safflower oil would make this non-compliant so I didn't buy it. Am I wrong?

We don't want you buying bottles of canola or safflower oil to use in cooking at home, as they're considered inferior oils.  Both are reluctantly allowed for the purposes of dining out and in small quantities in prepared foods like this broth.

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/7762-canola-oil/

Of course, homemade broth is the best option, and what we'd recommend.

• 2 months later...

What about applegate bacon? I don't know if it is grass fed and it has added sea salt...?

99.9% sure all of applegate's bacon products have sugar added which makes them non-compliant. It is very hard to find sugar free bacon. I've only been successful at one store locally.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Whole Foods the other day and I got:

under the "Made fresh here" category

-guacamole, to dump on salads as fat (had forgotten how quickly that stuff goes bad)

-pineapple salsa (instead of bingeing on entire pineapple, couple spoonfuls nice mixed with some coconut shreds or, what I want to try is putting it on top of fish)

specialty items:

-coconut aminos (primary reason for visit)

-coconut butter (disappointed... somehow thought it would be something else, but saving it until I run out of coconut oil or after W30)

produce:

-huge 1lb container of mixed greens

-1lb crimini mushrooms, presliced

Today WF had a kale "slaw" with avocado. ingredients were kale, avocado, tomato, onion, lemon, maybe one other thing but all compliant. it's really good, also cheap because it's light and they measure by the pound, but they said they don't have it a lot. i guess if i ask enough they'll make it more often.

• 3 months later...

Archived