Starting August 5

JordanC

Hello all! I'm new here, but have been thinking about this for a few weeks. I've been Paleo since May, but have just spent the past month abroad eating a lot more junk than I'd been eating. I even ate bread. 

I believe my dad is going to do it with me, so that's easier, but my younger sisters aren't. They'll be eating frozen pizzas and chicken strips. While I don't get tempted by them, I do recall how much I used to love it all.

I'm mainly doing this to get back on track. I'm afraid that if I didn't do something strict and structured, I'd keep eating ice cream and french fries. After 30 days, I'll forget about that all.

I'm currently searching for recipes, so any favorites would be great.

When I get home, my dad and I will plan our first weeks meals and start gathering everything.

Anyone else starting then? I know it's an awkward date, but I'm still in London on the first and don't want to wait any longer and keep destroying all of my progress.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - I'm starting on 8/5 as well. I was going to start today, but earlier this week I decided I needed the weekend to do some prep work, so I can set myself up for success! I work full-time outside of the house and have a husband & a 4 year old at home, so the more planning/prep I can do, the better!

I've dabbled in the Paleo world for about 8 months now, so I have a tiny bit of knowledge. I've been reading Melissa Joulwan's blog @ theclothesmakethegirl.com. She's done several Whole30's and has some great tips for planning & keeping things simple - I'm going to follow her advice for Whole30: Week 1 Food Plan - great tips there! Good luck everyone - I'm sure we'll do great!!!

Hello! I'm going to jump on here too, if only to keep myself accountable! I've been mostly paleo since about October last year. I did a successful whole30 in January, then stayed paleo-with-afternoon-chocolate-binges (ugh), finally started another whole30 in June which ended up being a whole27+15 :-)

Still battling my tenacious sugar dragon... It's my birthday next week, so tomorrow is my birthday meal out & I'm planning to have some cake, for better or worse (!).

See you all on Monday!

I would like to join all of you too!  This is about my 5th try at a whole 30.  Things always seem to get in the way and it often leads to a binge and weight gain.  I am still eating mostly paleo but unfortunately falling back into the habit of binging on sugary foods.  Ready to get started again.  I think I have a dairy allergy and definitely feel better sans grains.   Made it to day 15 once back in April and felt fantastic.  Can't wait to get back there.  Maybe it will help to have a group to be part of a group!@

I'm going to join in also! This will be my second attempt. 1st attempt was last month and I was compliant for 21 days...then I went camping and poor planning made things go down hill.

I think if I can get through the 1st week, I will be ok. I have an event that will take me away from home for 3 days next week. I have been using these last few days to really read though a bunch of web-sites to gather recipes. Tomorrow hubby and I are going shopping and I will spend the afternoon doing prep work. I am excited to try a few new recipes!

My goals for the 30 days:

1. Get enough sleep

2. Start exercising again (finally no pain from an achilles issue, so I want to start running again)

3. Conquer (or at least tame) my sugar dragon

Hello all! I am starting today. For real. I've been trying to do paleo and have atleast gotten back into the habit of cooking but one bite here and one bite there has turned into a big Oreo and dt dew mess. Very disappointing. I am goingto eat a ton today. All compliant but I really need to make sure I will not want to snack ! My family are all about sugar lol. We have made great strides the past year but to not have junk food in the house with soda and cookies or chocolate is unheard of:) going to go hide those Oreos, strengthen my resolve... somehow..... go for a run and start cooking away! Good luck to you all and keep posting!

Hi all - jumping in because I've decided to start on August 5th too!

I've been reading about paleo since mid May and adhering to it as much as i felt i could - cut grains, instantly loved that, and pretty much all processed sugar but have had occasional ice creams, eat dairy nearly every day and was eating like 40-100g of dark choc every day til 2 weeks ago! And then there's the red wine...

Since I cut out cheese and dropped 2lb in days I knew I should be getting rid of the dairy entirely. Also couldn't hurt to cut out the other cheats for a month.

my biggest challenges will be:

- drinking my coffee black in the morning (I have it with heavy cream at the moment)

- cutting out the decafs I drink at work during the day (to be honest I think I only have those for the milk! and an excuse to get out of the office for 5 mins)

- no wine after my stressful driving lessons, or when offered something really good when I eat out. I'm not a big drinker but I LOVE good red wine.

- sugar sugar sugar. I cave at least once a week, especially after I go hiking with my boyfriend and the ten miles just seems to justiy that big ice cream...

goals:

to improve my energy levels

shake cravings for sugar and dairy

I'm also trying to lower my body fat a little, and its going to be tough not to measure or weigh for 30 days but I'd like to make health and energy my focus for now, and I know eating this way won't make me gain drastically so I can live with it

good luck to everyone, looking forward to doing this with you!

Bee

I would like to know where is the meal recipes for 30 days? for example, meal planning start Monday to sunday everyday as Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. Can you help me if you find the recipes or so? I read the book and there are not many recipes. I was a bit confused :huh:

There isn't a set meal plan - your 3 meals (snacks aren't recommended) should just fit the template. Have you got a copy of the template?

If you are confused with what to prepare, keep it simple - meat, a couple of different types of vegetables, and fat added from the source you like :)

There are paleo blogs with lots of recipes - you would need to check whether they were whole 30 compliant or not. Tom Denham, a moderator on this forum, apparently has a page with hundreds of recipes - that might be a good one to look up!

I would like to know where is the meal recipes for 30 days? for example, meal planning start Monday to sunday everyday as Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. Can you help me if you find the recipes or so? I read the book and there are not many recipes. I was a bit confused :huh:

The recipes in the book are just a few samples to get you started. They have meal maps in the book to give you ideas for how to combine and prepare different foods: endless options there.

There are countless recipes on the web: google paleo or whole30 along with whatever you want to eat to find recipes. Double check ingredients to be sure the recipe is compliant.

A popular cookbook to use in the program is Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan (her website, which also has recipes, is http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/). All her recipes are Whole30 compliant.

Tom Denham, one of the moderators here, has a website with 400+ compliant recipes: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/

And there is a recipe sharing section of the forum, where folks here share recipes: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

Have fun browsing!

The recipes in the book are just a few samples to get you started. They have meal maps in the book to give you ideas for how to combine and prepare different foods: endless options there.

There are countless recipes on the web: google paleo or whole30 along with whatever you want to eat to find recipes. Double check ingredients to be sure the recipe is compliant.

A popular cookbook to use in the program is Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan (her website, which also has recipes, is http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/). All her recipes are Whole30 compliant.

Tom Denham, one of the moderators here, has a website with 400+ compliant recipes: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/

And there is a recipe sharing section of the forum, where folks here share recipes: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

Have fun browsing!

Thank you for sharing. 

Restarting again - with you folk on August 5th.

The lack of preparation & planning have cost me 2 days of restarts.  In the guide, the bit about even the tiniest slip, e.g., splash of cream, lick the spoon, really resonated for me.  Caught myself on those tiny details -- sulfite in the packaged salad dressing label that I didn't read until AFTER I ate the salad.  Buying canned tuna on sale and not seeing the soybean oil in the vegetable broth it was packed in until AFTER I ate the fish. (Sheesh!! It said "packed in water"!!)  =\

Note to self:  Self, READ THE LABEL BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH!!!

My 3 goals for my first Whole30 Daily are:

Nutrition - Stick strictly to the plan for 30 days
Sleep - "lights out" @ 11 for 30 days
Exercise - 2 sets Sun Salutation every AM for 30 days

Be strong!!  We can do this!!!

I am starting on 8/5 as well. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision for me. I've done 2 whole30's before, and I felt awesome! I've been trying to clean up my act for the past few weeks, but I keep making poor choices. I need the structure of the whole30 to keep me in line. 

I haven't done a whole lot of food prep and meal planning yet. I need to get on that! Off to browse Nom Nom Paleo and Melissa Joulwan's recipes... I miss cooking! Lately it's been a struggle to throw good food together. I'm worth the effort to make myself nourishing food. I'm excited for a month on focusing on ME and my health to try to improve. 

Here's to 30 days of self love :)

Wooooo hoooo! So glad to be a part of the group starting on the 5th!  I've dabbled with paleo and loved how I felt, so i thought it was time to dive in and go whole hog (literally and figuratively)!

I'm a recovering vegan. I intend no disrespect to anyone who chooses a vegan lifestyle, but in my case it was a misguided attempt to fix many of the health problems to which I'm sure a lot of people here can relate (gallbladder issues, unexplained hair loss, chronic fatigue, rosacea out of the blue, and steady weight gain).

While I am, of course, hoping to improve my physique and appearance, my main goal of this program really is to improve my health! I hope that the end of this 30 days finds me feeling better, getting more sleep, and not getting awful stomach aches after every meal!

Anyone making anything yummy for dinner tomorrow?

Here's what I am planning for the day:

Bfast: baked eggs in avocado (recipe... though it's pretty simple... here: http://bravoforpaleo.com/2013/06/24/baked-egg-in-avocado/) and a few slices of bacon

lunch: hardboiled eggs, a few pieces of fresh coconut meat, and a spinach turkey salad

dinner: TJ's grass fed burgers with guacamole and roasted carrot fries.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow :) Day One here we come!

Wooooo hoooo! So glad to be a part of the group starting on the 5th!  I've dabbled with paleo and loved how I felt, so i thought it was time to dive in and go whole hog (literally and figuratively)!

I'm a recovering vegan. I intend no disrespect to anyone who chooses a vegan lifestyle, but in my case it was a misguided attempt to fix many of the health problems to which I'm sure a lot of people here can relate (gallbladder issues, unexplained hair loss, chronic fatigue, rosacea out of the blue, and steady weight gain).

While I am, of course, hoping to improve my physique and appearance, my main goal of this program really is to improve my health! I hope that the end of this 30 days finds me feeling better, getting more sleep, and not getting awful stomach aches after every meal!

Anyone making anything yummy for dinner tomorrow?

Here's what I am planning for the day:

Bfast: baked eggs in avocado (recipe... though it's pretty simple... here: http://bravoforpaleo.com/2013/06/24/baked-egg-in-avocado/) and a few slices of bacon

lunch: hardboiled eggs, a few pieces of fresh coconut meat, and a spinach turkey salad

dinner: TJ's grass fed burgers with guacamole and roasted carrot fries.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow :) Day One here we come!

Just checking - your bacon is compliant (i.e., sugar-free and no other nasties)?

Just checking - your bacon is compliant (i.e., sugar-free and no other nasties)?

Yep, got it at the farmer's market yesterday. I may be too trusting here, but the farmer said they don't add any sugar or any of the chemical crap that is in grocery store bacon. Just applewood and sea salt.

Though seeing as there is no ingredient list, maybe it's best to freeze it and save it for after my 30 days. I'd hate to start off on a sour note, especially in my very first meal!

Yep, got it at the farmer's market yesterday. I may be too trusting here, but the farmer said they don't add any sugar or any of the chemical crap that is in grocery store bacon. Just applewood and sea salt.

Though seeing as there is no ingredient list, maybe it's best to freeze it and save it for after my 30 days. I'd hate to start off on a sour note, especially in my very first meal!

Sounds like you're good to have it on your W30: enjoy it!

I am starting August 5th too! This would be my 4th Whole30. I would have started on the 1st but was camping and wasn't able to get fresh vegetables.  I got back home last night and spent today shopping and prepping. Today I made:

Well Fed Mayo

Oven Baked Chicken Thighs (without the brown sugar)

Hard Boiled Eggs

Devilled Eggs

Boiled beets to have handy

I put together a list of my meals for tomorrow..

Monday:

B: Crispy shredded sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil, with fried eggs cooked in ghee.

L: Chicken thighs, beets, carrots, jicama, guacamole.

D: Beef Short Ribs, sauteed mushrooms, and green beans

Good luck!

Hiya folks

I am restarting today as well.  Originally started on 24th July and was going great until two pints of cider on a very hot day put pay to that!  After a weekend of completly non Whole9 eating and drinking I decided to restart today.  I had a cooking session yesterday afternoon and have prepared my meals for the next five days.  I take two meals to work and have the other when I get home in the evening.

Meal 1:  3 egg omelette with roasted Mediterranean veggies, one small plum and two fresh apricots

Meal 2:  beef fajitas mix (obviously without the sour cream and tortillas!) with an avocado finishing off with some raspberries

Meal 3:  chicken and veg soup

I am looking forward to getting stuck in again because the last three days of unclean eating has FINALLY made me realise what it does to my body as I have felt pretty dreadful: lacking in energy, not sleeping and full of aches and pains. 

My goal is to lose a few pounds (I am very overweight) and feel that my body is working properly.  OK I guess this may take more than 30 days as I have been overweight for more than 30 years but it will be a good start.

Looking forward to sharing are journey. :D

Archived