Starting August 5

JordanC

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feeling good so far. Yesterday had headaches, but it was because my meals weren't big enough. Started with a banana before workout and then after, hamburger eggs. I know now to flip flop that and will start tomorrow.

I'm going to a Jonas Brothers (don't laugh!) concert in Dallas tonight and my family and I are going to try out this Paleo restaurant there called HG Supply Co. I'll still double check, but I'm sure most everything there will be Whole30 compliant.

Hope everyone is staying strong on Day 2 -- especially if you are like me & having a very sluggish start in the AM.

I originally tried to start on August 3rd, so hoping third time is the charm, after 2 restarts.

The Whole30 daily has been a big help for me; so as suggested, here are my 3-of-Whole9 goals for this Whole30 accountability:

Nutrition - Stick strictly to the plan for 30 days
Sleep - "lights out" @ 11 for 30 days
Exercise - 2 sets Sun Salutation every AM for 30 days

So far, so good on all of them.  We can all do this, even old dogs like me can learn new tricks!!  ;)

P.S. @SharonNC:  Well Fed has made a mayo junkie out of me, the homemade stuff is amazing & I was never really a mayo person.  Room temp & slowest possible oil dribble are the secrets according to Well Fed's Melissa Joulwan.  There are also ways to "rescue your mayo" so you don't waste ingredients -- here's a link - http://www.thekitchn.com/-good-questions-250-150041

ok, so my kids are really funny...some meals they don't want the protein (and will load up on veggies only to end up eating the protein 30 minutes or so later) and other meals they want all protein and fat and i have to make deals with them to eat some veggies before they get more meat or fat,  but at least they are eating on plan foods and they eat better than most 6 year olds. tonight i had made home made carnitas and made a big salad and home made guacamole...one of the kids ate a few tomatoes so that he could have a second helping of carnitas and of guacamole, the other refused to eat guacamole, but said he'd eat tomatoes for more carnitas...neither one wanted lettuce, and i really didn't want to push it as they do often eat salads. both asked for "special water" (water with a squeeze of lemon). i also often have one or the other, and sometimes both of them join me when i do my yoga.

Anyone else have a raging headache today?  I woke up feeling pretty sluggish, had a really good big breakfast (ground turkey mixed with the sausage spice mix from Mel Joulwan's Well Fed, sweet potatoes, onions, and spinach)

But my headache kicked in around 9 and just got worse throughout the day. It may be the fact that I had no caffeine today, or... it could also be the Timeline telling me I'm paying for my pre-Whole30 binge (I had a stromboli from Donatos.... I know, it's awful... don't judge). If the timeline is right and this is a headache from my bad ways before going Whole30 this is all the push I need to stay strong and hopefully never feel like this again!

However, I decided that if I'm going to do this I need to do it right, so last night I made some mayo (also from Mel Joulwan) and used it to make tuna salad that I ate in lettuce leaves.

Then for dinner I made this beauty:

38i6.jpg

Skirt steak marinated in coconut aminos and some white balsamic vinegar, thin sliced sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil, and asparagus spears naked (surprisingly good that way!)

Hoping this headache goes away tomorrow!!

Looks GOOD. I had headaches yesterday too, but the main challenge has been that I feel really hungry. I'm definitely eating enough calories, the biggest change is that I'm not having dairy and I wonder if I can take the hunger as a sign that I'm craving it, and hope it will go away once my body gets the message, Its just a little frustrating because I was trying to lose some bodyfat and I don't want to be overeating. Dark chocolate and milky coffee seem to be better at shutting down hunger (and it is genuine, stomach rumbling hunger) for me than bigger main meals. anyone else having that issue?

Looks GOOD. I had headaches yesterday too, but the main challenge has been that I feel really hungry. I'm definitely eating enough calories, the biggest change is that I'm not having dairy and I wonder if I can take the hunger as a sign that I'm craving it, and hope it will go away once my body gets the message, Its just a little frustrating because I was trying to lose some bodyfat and I don't want to be overeating. Dark chocolate and milky coffee seem to be better at shutting down hunger (and it is genuine, stomach rumbling hunger) for me than bigger main meals. anyone else having that issue?

Eating more may be the answer to losing fat, not eating less! If you're hungry, you may need more fat or protein.

Dark choc= fat, milky coffee= protein (and some fat depending on milk), so yes it may satisfy you. It's also filling a hole and i think coffee may actually stave off hunger pangs.

If you're not cutting it out, coffee with ghee, or coconut oil or milk may help?

A successful day 2 for me but like others I have felt hungry and have a headache which won't go away.  I decided to have a larger first meal of the day (at 8-ish) as I am always more hungry in the morning.  This morning I had three boiled eggs and three large tomatoes with half a avocado.  I am going to see how I get on until meal 2 around 12.30.  I have also decided to have a mini meal around 4.30 to stave off the hunger pains until I get home and eat (7 pm).  I did not have anything yesterday after my lunch and, by the time I got  off my train, I was starving.  I had to go into the shop too and was worried that I would buy something for immediate gratification.  Thankfully, I did not and came out with my loo rolls and some belly pork!  I had half the belly pork last night with some veggies and put half into my stew that I am having for lunch today. 

Buckeye - your dinner looks delicious.  I like my asparagus quickly stir fried in a tiny amount of olive oil with lots of pepper on it.  Did you fry your sweet potatoes? 

And Day 3 is here! Days 1-2 were pretty easy. I was really tired yesterday, but I wasn't able to get as much sleep as I would have liked, so I took a good nap in the afternoon :)

Food Has been good so far. Last night I prepped some steak tossed in Ral el Hanout seasoning and chopped some onions and bell peppers. I threw those in the crockpot this morning with a can of coconut milk. I'm excited to be cooking more again! Hopefully this turns out well... I think I'll shred of the meat and bake some sweet potatoes to go with it. Mmmm, I'm excited for dinner tonight.

Have a great day!

Anyone else have a raging headache today?  I woke up feeling pretty sluggish, had a really good big breakfast (ground turkey mixed with the sausage spice mix from Mel Joulwan's Well Fed, sweet potatoes, onions, and spinach)

But my headache kicked in around 9 and just got worse throughout the day. It may be the fact that I had no caffeine today, or... it could also be the Timeline telling me I'm paying for my pre-Whole30 binge (I had a stromboli from Donatos.... I know, it's awful... don't judge). If the timeline is right and this is a headache from my bad ways before going Whole30 this is all the push I need to stay strong and hopefully never feel like this again!

However, I decided that if I'm going to do this I need to do it right, so last night I made some mayo (also from Mel Joulwan) and used it to make tuna salad that I ate in lettuce leaves.

Then for dinner I made this beauty:

38i6.jpg

Skirt steak marinated in coconut aminos and some white balsamic vinegar, thin sliced sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil, and asparagus spears naked (surprisingly good that way!)

Hoping this headache goes away tomorrow!!

Yummy that looks very simple and amazing.

for a couple of you who are very hungry.....sounds like you might need to add some more fat to your meal and/or protein.

Day 2 was another great day and I am ready to take on Day 3!!!

Meal 3 tonight will be a nice grilled Deer steak cannot wait.

Buckeye - your dinner looks delicious.  I like my asparagus quickly stir fried in a tiny amount of olive oil with lots of pepper on it.  Did you fry your sweet potatoes? 

Thanks mousecatcher!  Pan fried them in some coconut oil. They were pretty thinly sliced so they only took a few minutes to soften up.

Kudos on tackling temptation at the shop! It is hard walking into the grocer on an empty stomach, let alone walking into a shrine of off-limit foods while you're on a whole30!

Traveling to Boston for a whole week any tips on how I can be able to stick to my whole30 while dining out essentially every meal

The biggest thing I would say is to not feel afraid to ask for something "special" at the restaurants.  If you can find a menu item that almost works, just tweak it to make it work and ask the server to have it made.  Restaurants are getting used to accomodating food allergies, so if you just tell them what you need they will usually make it happen.

Big thing though... make sure to tell them NOT to use any oil on your food. Most restaurants use canola oil because it is cheap! Just ask that they steam your veggies, or use olive oil, and if you are getting grilled meat/fish they can just leave the grill unoiled (this is harder with fish since it flakes so much but they can pan sear it instead if needed, again with no oil).

Day 2 ended with semi-success.  All of my food was compliant but I had set out to not be distracted by electronics while eating my meals (failed at Lunch & Dinner) and to do some form of activity in the pm (found myself on the couch instead).

The mind is a powerful thing!  I found myself falling right back into planning for failure while I sat on the couch and watched TV.  I woke up this morning renewed in my commitment but still a bit tired.  No headaches for me thankfully.

I'm starting my day today with Bootcamp, hopefully that will shake me out of my funk.  My biggest challenge will be week-ends and if last night would have been a Friday I know that I would have had something non-compliant in the frame of mind I was in.  Today I will come up with a plan for a successful week-end so that I am well-prepared to conquer my draw back to old habits.  

Heather, you sound quite hard on yourself!! Was your sense of failure just from the electronic distractions and lack of exercise? Being totally W30 compliant for another whole day is amazing! Don't beat yourself up! Maybe you need to dial down the exercise while you adjust. 

Tonight I'm going to the theatre and I have no idea what's coming - whether we're eating out after the show, or even how long the show is. I'm going to have a mini-meal as I leave work to keep me going.

And I think my appetite is settling down now, a little more protein at lunch (added 2 hard boiled eggs to my sardine salad) has me feeling full, thank goodness. 

Why am I sooooo hungry?!!  I feel I am eating quite a bit of protein, fat and veggies but I am still hungry.  I am guessing it is because I used to eat HUGE amounts of crap food so my stomach has expanded - in more ways than one!  I also have a ranging headache and (a-hem) an upset bowel so I keep having to run (excuse the pun :D ) to the loo all the time. 

I am hoping this will pass soon although, according to the Whole30 timeline, tomorrow and Friday is to "Kill Everything" so that is going to be interesting!

Having a clean day so far and trying not to think I have the munchies.

Day 3 & I actually caught a glimmer of Whole30 potential this morning!  Woke up before the alarm went off -- which is miraculous for a sleep-apnea'd old geezer like me -- and actually felt halfway decent getting up.  Instead of groping my way to the coffee pot in a comatose state, I did my AM yoga, prepped a slow-cooker roast, cooked breakfast and THEN had the coffee with the breakfast.  Most mornings are NOT like this, believe me!

@Mousecatcher2001:

My appetite has been widely variable since I started eating "mostly" Paleo-style in May.  Some days I'm ravenous & some days I'm not.  So far on Whole30, I've not gotten the ferocious appetite.  In general, I've noticed that if I focus on protein/fat for breakfast, I do better throughout the day. 

I've also become a home-made mayo junkie these past few days & find that if I dollop a tablespoon on stuff, it kills my cheesy craves & up the satiation quotient of the meal by a huge amount.  (Don't tell anyone, but I even put it on scrambled eggs!)  ;)

I've also become a home-made mayo junkie these past few days & find that if I dollop a tablespoon on stuff, it kills my cheesy craves & up the satiation quotient of the meal by a huge amount.  (Don't tell anyone, but I even put it on scrambled eggs!)  ;)

mayo goes with everything! lightly steamed broccoli and beans, sprinkled with good salt, dipped in mayo is awesome. or mayo on grilled zucchini. or on roast sweet potato. I can find ways of getting mayo on to most things  :P

mayo goes with everything! lightly steamed broccoli and beans, sprinkled with good salt, dipped in mayo is awesome. or mayo on grilled zucchini. or on roast sweet potato. I can find ways of getting mayo on to most things  :P

I'll second that!

I actually ended up making the Paleo Mayo from Well Fed with extra virgin olive oil. She recommended a light tasting cheap olive oil, but I didn't have any and still wanted mayo.  It's actually pretty yummy, but you definitely have to like the taste of olives!

Tonight I pulled a page from your book Amberino; I dipped my asparagus in the mayo and it was super yummy!

DAY 4!

good luck, all. I have a 2-hour driving lesson tonight, and one of my biggest issues (with driving, I mean) is staying cool and not getting frustrated. I'm a good driver until I get into a flap. So I'm hoping not to suffer much of the Kill-All-the-Things symptoms predicted in the W30 timeline, or at least to get them out during the day in the office...

my driving instructor actually recommended Bach's rescue remedy to me during my lesson on Tuesday. Not sure if that was a sweet or worrying level of concern for my nerves, but anyway, it's more or less concentrated brandy so I won't be taking any.

any tips? ive been doing a little meditation this morning in an attempt to chill out well in advance, ha.

good luck today everyone x

DAY 4!

good luck, all. I have a 2-hour driving lesson tonight, and one of my biggest issues (with driving, I mean) is staying cool and not getting frustrated. I'm a good driver until I get into a flap. So I'm hoping not to suffer much of the Kill-All-the-Things symptoms predicted in the W30 timeline, or at least to get them out during the day in the office...

my driving instructor actually recommended Bach's rescue remedy to me during my lesson on Tuesday. Not sure if that was a sweet or worrying level of concern for my nerves, but anyway, it's more or less concentrated brandy so I won't be taking any.

any tips? ive been doing a little meditation this morning in an attempt to chill out well in advance, ha.

We noticed that eating this way made us more relaxed and able to deal with stressful situations more calmly and rationally...

DAY 4!

We noticed that eating this way made us more relaxed and able to deal with stressful situations more calmly and rationally...

Archived