Starting August 5

JordanC

@Mousecatcher2001:

My appetite has been widely variable since I started eating "mostly" Paleo-style in May.  Some days I'm ravenous & some days I'm not.  So far on Whole30, I've not gotten the ferocious appetite.  In general, I've noticed that if I focus on protein/fat for breakfast, I do better throughout the day. 

I've also become a home-made mayo junkie these past few days & find that if I dollop a tablespoon on stuff, it kills my cheesy craves & up the satiation quotient of the meal by a huge amount.  (Don't tell anyone, but I even put it on scrambled eggs!)  ;)

Thanks very much for that.  I think I felt so hungry because I was eating small amount of fruit and then some nuts between my meals.  I have found in the past that eating this way often sets me up for a heavy or binge eating day so I have decided not to do it.  Three meals per day plus a proper mini meal before I leave work should sort this out.  I guess it is all about getting your body used to a routine and good food.  I am going to attempt the mayo this weekend as I do miss something "wet" on my salads.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicked this from the Primal Britian page on Facebook.  If you like ginger then this is for you:

Ccut up lots of fresh ginger (peeled), cover it with water in a medium sized pan and bring to the boil. Once it starts to boil, turn it off, then let it steep in the water for a minimum of 90 minutes (or overnight). Strain into a jug then pour into a bottle or container. Dilute one third ginger juice to two thirds soda/mineral water. Is lovely and refreshing. Nice too with a squeeze of lime.

3 days down!  On to Day 4 - Kill all things!  

I am feeling very calm and refreshed so we will see what today brings.  Glad to hear that everyone is still doing good.  I have not had any headaches but it could be that I have been primal/paleo for quiet awhile.  this weekend will be the challenge.  Usually have a glass of Red wine...or two.

Good luck to all today and keep mediating to stay calm and focused.

SharonNC - I am with you on the glass or two of wine especially come the weekend or should I say Friday night.  Oh well! :D  I have to think of the benefits from (a) not drinking alcohol and (B) the healthy lifestyle I want to have.

Already having a stressful day, already got a headache, the lady at the desk next to me has such a loud whiney (oh don't mention wine) voice ... perhaps I should leave the Whole30 timeline on her desk and say I am on Day 4 LOL!!

Traveling to Boston for a whole week any tips on how I can be able to stick to my whole30 while dining out essentially every meal

i'll double check with some foodie friends about boston restaurants...i live just south of boston, but there are some great places to eat in boston...but i'm not sure how compliant they are. i'll get back to you.

Day 3 was a success for me.  I have been feeling really tired in the evenings but that's nothing new.  It's actually one of the reasons I'm on this challenge, hoping I can have a life that goes beyond 6pm.  I slept really well last night after a dinner of Salmon Cakes (Yum!).

Kicking off Day 4 with a nice walk prior to going to work.  I am not feeling the energy I normally have for workouts and I'm hoping this will change soon.  I need those workouts to keep me sane in my stressful job.

Like some of the others have said, tomorrow night will be my big hurdle to overcome.  I'm going to a friends birthday party where I'd normally drink lots.  I'm going to use the "Ginger Ale" recipe that Mousecatcher shared on this thread as something special to sip on and try to remember that I'll feel great in the morning.  I'm also planning for some activity Saturday am that would require me to not have a hangover.

Heather , you could also make mint and lemon tea and then ice it.

I, unfortunately, paid for my lack of preparation and restarted this morning. Was up until 11 last night roasting vegetables and making the Nom Nom's green chicken - delicious

I, unfortunately, paid for my lack of preparation and restarted this morning. Was up until 11 last night roasting vegetables and making the Nom Nom's green chicken - delicious

As long as it was worth it! :)

I spent 3 1/2 hours making pork belly carnitas yesterday (to be fair i didn't have to do much except stick em in the oven) but it was absolutely delicious! Definitely a make-again! Plus i have leftovers for a couple of cheeky lunches :)

I woke up and hit the 7 am WOD at the CrossFit gym. It was awful!! 5 rounds of 800m runs and then other stuff in between. I was ready for a good breakfast after that! I had REAL bacon from the meat market and some eggs and an apple. For lunch, I'm hitting up the Saltgrass Steakhouse in Dallas. I'll be at Six Flags all afternoon, so I'll be brown bagging it and going to the car for dinner. I'll want a frozen lemonade, so wish me willpower!

Day 4 started not quite so perky as Day 3, but not too bad.  I am feeling somewhat testier than usual, flipped off a slow driver as I passed her on the way to work (ggrrrrrr - get out of my road!)

Made an executive decision to postpone marathon training this week in favor of walking; still managing my AM yoga rounds.

Oh and if you haven't tried this chuck roast recipe, do yourself a favor:

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/02/slow-cooker-chuck-roast/

I just got a crock-pot (on sale cheap @ Target for $16) to deal with my many decades of vegetarian-whole-grains-&-tofu lifestyle-induced meat-dumbness and literally drooled down my chin when I put this stuff on my dinner plate!!

Woke up in an extremely good mood this morning, which evaporated slightly when my OH - he does this every morning, i should be used to it by now - told me my breakfast "stinks". Thanks, darling, i love you too  :angry: Heigh-ho. He's not a morning person  :rolleyes:

Anyway, the offending breakfast was 3 patties of homemade breakfast sausage (i used the seasoning mix from "Primal Cravings" & some pork mince this time), spaghetti squash & a fried egg, with some gingered carrots. Lunch was another fridge raid - a chicken thigh, some roasted patty pan squash, & the leftover fennel, pine nuts & raisins mix with a bit of salsa. I got hungry about 2pm (not enough fat/protein i think) & had a cup of tea, then felt hungry again about 3pm, but got distracted - by the time i took my daughter to gymnastics at 5pm i was ready to gnaw my own arm off, so i dropped her off & nipped into a nearby Lidl for provisions - this turned out to be a pack of crayfish & a couple of bags of dried fruit. Inhaled the shrimp like a whale  :ph34r: then mindlessly chewed on the dried pineapple for a while. Probably didn't need that as well. Dinner, soon, hopefully, will be bolognese with courgette noodles. Mmmm...

I had a bit of a headache yesterday, then I read this and couldn't stop laughing:

http://whole9life.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

It's so well written! Got a teeny bit scared of what's ahead, but hey, I'm in it. We're all in it. So let's rock it  :D

Oh, and I am SO making these "lamb "dosa" purses with coconut crème" soon! (at least a very close version of it):

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/57360815782/diana-rodgers-lamb-dosa-purses-with-coconut-creme

Happy day 4 everyone  B)

Glad to find this thread! I started on Monday, as well, and am on day 4. Defrosting some chicken for almond-coated chicken nuggets right now; had amaaaaazing Czech Meatballs from Well Fed last night. (Seriously, do yourself a favor... they're so easy to make!)

I haven't had any Kill All the Things feelings yet. (Yay?) I am feeling lethargic, but that could definitely/certainly be due to my long, tedious office job. Thankfully I did well with cravings today and skipped some leftover birthday cake in the office kitchen!  :D

The plan for tomorrow is scrambled eggs with spinach, leftover chicken & salad at lunch, and a dinner of Whole30-approved chicken fajitas. Yumm.

Wishing everyone luck!

Bad news guys. My family and I went to California pizza kitchen for dinner (not my choice) and I got chicken lettuce wraps thinking they'd be okay. It had been a long day so I didn't ask any questions. I completely missed on the menu that it had soy sauce on top. Should I start over? I'm going to the mountains with my family this weekend so while it would be easy to stay paleo, whole30 would be difficult. I'd have to wait until next Thursday. This sucks.

I don't even know if I want to restart. I'm not getting much support. My dad is paleo, but doesn't understand the strictness of whole30. He told me he didn't want me complaining about not being able to eat when we go to the mountains and said I was taking one for the team when I ordered food at the pizza place.

I don't even know if I want to restart. I'm not getting much support. My dad is paleo, but doesn't understand the strictness of whole30. He told me he didn't want me complaining about not being able to eat when we go to the mountains and said I was taking one for the team when I ordered food at the pizza place.

You're not doing this for your dad, you're doing it for you!! There's always going to be people in life who don't agree with your choices or support you...if they stopped us, no one would ever do anything!!

I'd continue if I were you, just extend your whole 30 by however many days you've done already. Or, if you think staying compliant while away is to difficult, start back on your return - remember, this is something good you're doing for YOU!

Jordan - I agree with Amberino, you are doing this for you!  I had to start over again after imbibing on some alcohol on Day 12 and then had a whole weekend of carb loading.  I felt so dreadful after all that crap and although I was a bit pee'd off with myself at the time, I am glad.  Having to start again made me realise how much my body needs this kick up the posterier and how much I want to be  healthy. 

I also stayed with the original forum thread I was on and from their posts I can see where I would have been and this spurs me on.

Good luck however you decide to go forward. :)

Made some mayo yesterday (from the nomnom website) and it came out so well and is absolutely delish.  The only thing I would change is to use half the ingredients next so I don't get too big a yield as it is only me that is eating it.  Having said that I could probably just dive into and eat it all! I have some carrots in the fridge and can see a bit of a crudities thing going on.

I decided to make egg mayonnaise for my breakfast this morning and wow it was great.  I added some cut up tomatoes and some avocado and gobbled it up.  

Still got a slight headache and feel so lethargic still but according to the timeline this is normal.  The test is going to be the weekend and not having my usual couple of glasses of wine tonight (well probably bottle - get real Kathryn). 

Wishing everyone a clean Day 5.

Morning day 5 - notable difference today is that I am in the best mood! I don't feel angry at all today, I feel brilliant. Physically quite tired, looking forward to lunch, but cheerful. 

My driving yesterday actually went very well. I had a shot of black coffee just beforehand, without which I would have been all over the place because I was super tired. Then I made a beef mince stirfry, which is also my lunch today. Breakfast was probably a bit small following my cycle in - 2 eggs and some fruit, cocnut flakes and pumpkin seeds (I wasn't organised enough to get any veg together). Monday I'm going to make a sweet potato omelette to bring to work and see if that's better post-exercise. 

Good luck with your days everyone! 

I have a really challenging dinner with my boyfriend's mother coming up - it's a whole ten days away but I have no idea how I will skirt around the dairy and sugar in that meal.

Day 4 was successful from a food perspective.  I am so tired.  I fell asleep last night immediately after dinner and I woke this morning still tired.  Workouts have been a write off this week.  Really hoping that I can get that back on track over the week-end and into next week. I understand that my body is working really hard to find energy in the foods that I'm giving it and I need to be patient but it's rough.  I always expect to feel better when I eat better.  

Starting Day 5 with a walk again, I just don't have the energy for a run or bootcamp.

Tonight I have a birthday party to attend for one of my best friends.  There will be lots of alcohol and junk food.  It will be a challenge to navigate around.  I will be making preparations to ensure my success but I hope somehow I can find a way to have a good time.  It really shouldn't be about the food and drinks, it should be about my friend.  

This week-end I really need to spend some time shopping and prepping for next week.  I found myself eating a lot of the same thing this week and can see how that would get boring over time.  There are so many great compliant recipes out there, there's no reason not to add in variety. 

You will do it - we are all smart & strong & committed & adults in charge of our own bodies. Check the resources page at whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/ for tips to deal with social sitcha-a-shuns

Remember you can always say "no thank you" & remember to smile when you say it.

P.S.: Day 5 accountability - still on track w/all 3 goals. Motivators for the weekend - something that is better today than 5 days ago -- my joint stiffness is almost gone & my um "movements" are greatly improved

Happy Friday & day 5!

Was a little sluggish getting up this morning, but now that I'm awake and moving I feel pretty good! My jeans slid right on with no tugging or tightness. They're actually feeling a bit loose! This is definitely my motivation to make it through the weekend.

We have a friend coming to visit for the next week; I've already informed him that he'll be eating our compliant meals ;) and any restaurant choice needs to be vetted by me first. I am going to a social event next Thursday at a Mexican food restaurant... I'm a little worried about resisting the chips and salsa, but hopefully their salad will be enough to tide me over. (Thank goodness for online menus! I feel better when I can prep in advance.)

Good luck, everyone!

Archived