When will I start feeling good?

I'm on day 9, and although I have had some moments where I've felt great, mostly I'm feeling pretty terrible. I've had headaches, nausea, depression, mood-swings, no energy, and most of the time am walking around in a permanent fog. So bad that I can't concentrate on much of anything, and feel like I shouldn't even drive.

I'm trying to make sure I eat enough, adding more fats in to make up for what I've cut out, getting plenty of sleep and at this point not sure what else I can do besides tough it out and hope it gets better. I already ate pretty well before my whole30, not a lot of junk food.

Is this normal? Do I need to tweak something? I want to make this work.

• Moderators

Some of us do feel bad for about 2 weeks. It should pass. I started feeling good just after the 2 week mark. In terms of a potential tweak, make sure you are eating some carbs if you are active. A baked sweet potato or some butternut squash can help with energy.

i want to second tom's recommendation. i've been doing this for some time, and my thinking has changed drastically - i don't think there's ever a reason to deliberately put yourself into ketosis. don't fear tubers or fruits!

Still feeling lightheaded and dizzy on and off. I'm drinking plenty of water, and I just ate, so it's not because I'm hungry. There are times when the dizziness comes on while I'm eating. I haven't been able to work more sweet potatoes in my diet, mostly because it just hasn't been convenient. I'm trying to eat some kind of healthy fat with each meal. I ate a banana after my workout this morning. And I feel really dizzy and lightheaded.

I'm not planning on giving up on this or anything, but when I have people telling me how low carb diets are not sustainable, we need to eat a balance from all food groups, etc., it's hard to take a stand with my position when I'm having the dizziness so often. It's hard to say, "this is the best diet for me" when it's affecting me this way. I know there's probably no easy answer here, I guess maybe I'm just venting, or wondering if there is someone else who has experienced this. I'm two weeks in now.

I'm not sure on the salt. I may not be getting enough, because I'm not a big salt person, so I don't add it to my veggies or anything (unlike my husband who sprinkles it on everything). I'll try adding more salt in, along with trying to work in more sweet potatoes. Thanks!

The Whole30 is not low-carb by design. You mentioned workouts - if you're doing high intensity activity, you need more carbohydrate, whether it's convenient or not. Folks here have offered good advice - try eating more starchy carbs during your day and see if that helps. Based solely on what I've read, I'm guessing you are seriously under-feeding yourself in both carbohydrate and calories in general.

I am having some of the same issues as Brenda.

I'm on day 9 and feel lousy.

Tired and run down, spacey and foggy, mood swings and depression.

I do not currently work out, I was hoping to get my diet under way so I'm not taking on too much at once.

I'm trying to start walking more, but so tired!

I think that I'm eating enough and keeping it varied, but I have been avoiding fruit and carb dense veg for weight loss.

Thanks for the comments. I definitely feel like I've gotten good advice, and I promise I'm listening. :) I had a half of a sweet potato with breakfast (the sweet potatoes I get are huge), and I felt better today.

Melissa, I hear what you're saying about being too low on carbs and calories, and I'm working on it. I'm not doing it on purpose, as I'm not really looking to lose weight, I just don't really feel hungry. I'm eating three meals a day and sometimes a snack, and I feel full. I'm going to try to continue with the sweet potato at breakfast, and maybe eat a little more at lunch too.

Oh, and txanita, hang in there! I feel your pain. It's so hard when you read around the forums and see how everyone starts feeling better after the first few days, and you still feel so awful.

I was finally able today to get a good, high intensity workout in. Prior to that I'd only went for a short run a couple of times in the past two weeks. But I had more energy today and was feeling a lot better. Whether it was the sweet potato for breakfast, or if my body just finally adjusted, I'm not sure. But there are some great people here with great advice. It sounds like you're like me and maybe need to up your carbs until you start feeling better.

Archived