Family not on board

ltlfroggie

Tips for when family is not on board?  I've somehow accomplished them being a bit better, but there is no way the bread/cheese/yogurt/cookies are going anywhere. I guess I could say they are on board with ME doing it, but they aren't going to let me empty the house of all noncompliant food either.  Hubby is OK with making sure dinner is mostly compliant for me (he cooks...lucky me!) so that is good.  

My brain is determined to ignore all noncompliant food but what else might help?  Move out on my own for 30 days?? :)

There is a section in ISWF and I think there is also a blog entry that talks about this. They say the best thing to do is designate a specific place for "your" food and "their" food and keep them separate. That way you don't have to see all the non-compliant foods every time you open the cabinet or fridge.

Do you do the shopping? Yeah, they'd probably whine if their staples were not stocked, but it is amazing how quickly they change their tune when they are hungry! They would make a better choice if that was what was in the house....

Kids won't go hungry for long, eventually, they will eat whatever you put in front of them-and it's usually sooner rather than later! Good luck!

I'm slowly changing my family to healthier eating.  What seems to be working at the moment is (example from dinner here): we eat the same protein; we eat most of the same veggies (I eat more leafy greens, they eat more fruits); and I eat starchy carbs while they eat grains.  This is a huge, life-changing improvement over the days of Hamburger Helper, and I'm pretty happy with our progress.  Some families do switch all together and all at once, but that hasn't felt like something I wanted to do, so this is as far as I've gotten.

I made zoodles for myself last week and the kids acted like I'd stolen an entire box of twinkies for myself. This week, I made sure to give them zoodles (instead of pasta) and they gobbled it up. LOL  Sometimes, the grass really is greener!

my family is not on board at all. I do have the "my" cupboard and "theirs". it was hard at first but much easier as we go along!!

I feel for you.  When I did my first W30 my family was not on board, they're still not.  DH is ADAMANT he will not give up food he enjoys.  I finally had to tell him:  Listen, I'm sorry but I'm not a short order cook and I work full time too.  I am cooking compliant yummy food, there will be enough for you.  If you don't want to eat it, then you're on your own and you can cook what you like.  I had a successful first W30.  Gearing up for another one.  I will tell you, that I did make sure there were things for him to cook himself.  He wasn't happy but I'm sorry, this is my health. 

Thanks guys - that is a great idea to set aside my own shelf in the pantry and fridge.  I am even thinking of organizinig the pantry anyhow so this would be a great time to do it.  Especially perhaps putting everything non-compliant in boxes/organizational containers to where I can't even see what is in there.  I grab my "box" of stuff that I know is good and go on with life :)

Archived