Meal Plan for Underweight Guy

Nick1857

Hey everyone, I am ordering the book when i get paid friday and wanted to start this diet Monday.  I'm looking for a few tips and tricks for meals. 

I have a history of terrible digestion due to 1.) taking adderall / not eating right for YEARS, and 2.) eating tons of candy/coffee.

I've already cut sugar out of my diet and feel terrible, and it's constantly an uphill battle. I have a gluten intolerance as well, along will soy/dairy allergies. This seems like the perfect diet for me, except that it seems to focus on losing weight.

I really need some meal ideas that are somewhat easy to replicate on a daily basis. I can easily eat repetative food without an issue. My current meal plan is something like this, every day:

breakfast : 3 Scrambled Eggs with a small amount of olive oil. 1 cup of chopped bell peppers.  

lunch : Salad with 1 sauted chicken breast w/ 1 cup of chopped bell peppers / 4-5 sliced strawberries / 2 hardboiled eggs.

Workout

dinner : sauted chicken breast with 1 cup of zuchini and belle peppers / garlic.

---------

I'm about 5ft7, 120 pounds at the age of 21. I really want to gain some weight but have serious issues with red meats.  

I was thinking about trying some meatballs or osmething but i'm 100% lost and overwhelmed.  I'm used to just grabbing food out to eat and a bunch of sugar.  Please give me some ideas on some decent weight gaining meals that can be prepped for a day or two! thank you so much!

The focus of a whole30 isn't about losing weight. It's about creating a healthy relationship with what you eat. You can totally gain weight on a whole30 if you need/want to. I'm no expert, but you are not eating very much food at all! Especially for a young guy!!!! You could easily double your proteins at each meal and you absolutely should add some healthy fats to each meal-like avocado, almond butter, nuts, and oils. You can totally do a whole30 without eating red meats- there are plenty of healthy alternatives-chicken, turkey, fish, pork (do you eat pork?)...since they tend to be leaner, it's even more important that you eat larger portions if you are looking to add weight. Are you doing any exercising? If so, what kind? If you are doing any serious lifting there is yet another reason to EAT MORE FOOD!!!

I sound like a mom now, so I will stop. Good for you for taking control of your health this way! You won't regret it!

Oh, and if you like to cook (which, hopefully you do!) check out the cookbook Well Fed. Most, if not all of her recipes are also on her website: theclothesmakethegirl.com. She has lots of ideas for one big cook-up that will last a few days or more!

Thanks for the input! My main issue is that i get discouraged easily. I'm really trying to correct all of the mistakes iv'e made with food, and it's very overwhelming coming from someone that ate nothing but fast food/restaurants for years. 

I guess my next step is to find some cooking classes or something that can help me out, since i'm really only comfortable with sauteing food.  Thanks again!

Thanks Chris! I noticed GF in your name, so are you also allergic to gluten? I ask because i'm hoping this stops my constant burping and stomach cramps.

I'm gluten-sensitive, yes. Diagnosed as such in the fall of 2006 and I've been gluten-free (GF) since.

As the others have said - you need to eat more!! I eat more than you!! More protein, more fat, and more veggies....including starchy ones, you seem to have none. If you can't eat more at each sitting, you need to eat more frequently.

If you're working out, and wanting to put on muscle - which I presume is your aim - you also need to fuel your workouts and have a post workout meal to refuel and to help recovery. PreWO is fat/protein - say 2-3 HB eggs, postWO is carbs/protein. Sweet potato and lean meat is perfect while you're doing a whole 30.

I agree with the others: eat more! more starchy veg, including a pre- and post-WO meal, etc.

One question, though: what are your "serious issues" with red meat? Is this an ethical thing? or it grosses you out? or you don't know how to prepare it? or you don't digest it well? Depending on WHY you are avoiding it, maybe we can help you get over that so you can include one of the healthiest foods out there and gain some lean mass. Grass-fed red meat is a great choice (all the better if you can do lamb or bison, etc.). Let us know the issue so we can troubleshoot.

Thank you so much everyone! I am going to run to my parents house Saturday and set up a solid weekly meal plan. I hate sweet potatoes and have no idea what other starchy veggies to eat, so i'll keep you posted what i come up with. 

And Mary - I'm not sure why it hurts me so much, but it immediately gives me stomach pains and some serious bathroom time. Then i feel terrible for days. I'm assuming it's because my body isn't used to digesting real foods.  I'm hoping if i throw a probiotic in and digestive enzymes, it clears up a bit.  

Right now i feel terrible eating anything, even this morning after i ate three scrambled eggs in EVOO with a banana. But i'm assuming it's because i never eat the correct types of food and portions that i should be. I'm hoping that if i force myself to deal with the pain of eating right for a while, my body adjusts.  I don't have many options left and need to feel better or i'm scared that i'll be a medical problem my entire life.

Looking forward to Saturday and setting up my meal plan and learning how to cook a few more meals! 

What do you mean by "feel terrible"?

Starchy carbs - basic ones are pumpkin, butternut pumpkin/squash, carrot, beetroot, parsnips

Have you had roasted sweet potato? Cooking things differently can make a difference to the taste....and texture, which may be the off putting thing for you?

Sorry for the basic answer. Basically iv'e been in and out of the doctors for the last year. Had horrible stomach aches after eating a large meal or red meat/beans. I would immediately get crippling stomach aches (they would raise the hairs on my face and neck) and bolt for the bathroom. My personal diagnosis was gastroparesis, where your body digests slower and freaks out on a too full stomach. I also had constant burps and felt like i could easily throw up if i wanted to force it. i also had severe migraines and no energy, and just felt like i was dying. 

I then went to a doctor again and got a ultrasound, endoscopy and colonoscopy. Definitely the lowest point of my life.  Was diagnosed with celiac's and hit rock bottom. I love beer and food and honestly gave up on life for a while. I stopped eating, survived on a meal a day at about 400 calories.  This continued for a few months until i couldn't even go to work.  Decided to eat gluten free and it still didn't help me because i didn't realize that just because something said "gluten free", didn't mean it was healthy. I was still eating too much sugar and processed food. Luckily i still went from 110-118 pounds, with a bad diet. 

And here i am. I don't know why it feels so good to do so much bad to your body, but i guess that's addiction for you. I'm 5 days sober of cigarettes, caffeine and sugar and already feeling a bit better. I eat very basic right now and still have the burping and wanting to throw up after basic food, but i can't expect to fix years of damage in a half a week. 

Sorry if that was a ton of info, just wanted you to see things from my point of view. And i honestly appreciate all of the support, it is taking energy i don't have to start this meal plan and get my life on track.

Nick, I think that your situation would definitely benefit from some personal consulting with the Whole9 team if you can afford it/are open to it.  To be frank, you have a lot of baggage, and I'm not sure that a Whole30 as written is going to comfortable for you to complete. (I'm sure you can get through it, but it'll probably be ROUGH). The good news is that you're still young and you have that on your side in terms of recovery. Link here: http://whole9life.com/personal-consulting/  I think Dallas would be a great resource for you.

I'd recommend taking betaine HCl with your meals if you aren't already doing that, and learning how to make your own bone broth (and drinking it frequently.

Unfortunately i was just laid off with a small severance, so i'm barely getting my groceries. When i get a new job i'll definitely consider that, it's just not an option at this time.  I'll have to look into that HCI, never heard of it. Are there any particular brands for it? Any other supplements that may help digest or feel a bit better? I plan on going shopping Saturday.

Archived