August 1 Start Date - Who Wants to Rock This w/ Me?

wylandfn

To those of you reading this who weren't part of my first group (July 1st Start Date - Who's With Me?), let me introduce myself.  I just finished my very first W30 and enjoyed it so much that I've committed myself to another one starting August 1st.  I must say that being a part of such a wonderful group in the forum was integral in my success during my first attempt at this.  I made some wonderful 'friends' and have read so many inspiring stories and comments so I decided to start up an August 1 group.  My hopes are that this group grows just as the July 1st one did and that this becomes a place of support, comfort, guidance and just plain old 'vent' therapy... whatever we all need it to be as we start our journey for the next 30 days! 

Welcome to all!  I'd love to hear a little about you.. is this your first Whole30?  How many have you done?  How did you discover the program?  What are your goals? 

• As previously stated, this will be my second Whole30. 
  • I discovered the program via Robb Wolf podcasts and all of my web searches online regarding the Paleo life.
  • I have a few goals this time around - I will make another post once I zero in on the details of the goals. 

Again, welcome and I can't wait to hear from you all! =)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello ! 

I am planning to start this Whole30 tomorrow. This will be my first one. I don't feel too intimidated by it all, although I do expect it to kick my butt in the dairy/sugar area. I am going to miss my morning latte !

I am fairly fit and not really looking to lose weight although a couple of pounds lost would be great; I have been toying with the idea of doing this for a while but as a New Year's Resolution it seemed too cliche. So here I am. I am married with two little boys, unfortunately, I am going it alone in my house for these 30 days. I am mainly doing this as an "experiment" on myself to see how I feel and to check out the hype :)

That is great that you signed on for another 30 days ! Thank you for putting together a place to connect.

I am looking forward to the "journey" and hearing everyone else's.

Cheers - KG

Welcome KG!  =)

I hear you on the morning latte!  You're speaking to a reformed Starbucks Vanilla Latte / Caramel Macchiatto junkie!  Believe it or not, the transition wasn't as difficult on me as I thought it would be.  The dairy in my lattes was pretty much the only dairy in my pre-W30 days and I was astounded at how much difference it made by eliminating just that little thing. I had no idea that it was the culprit to how bloated I was feeling until I did my W30 and discovered what it felt like without it.  I have gotten used to drinking my coffee either black or with clarified butter, coconut oil and a dash of pure raw cacao powder.  I feel a lot more energized with my revised coffee drinks! 

A lot of us go it alone in our household which is why being an active participant in a forum like this is a great tool!  We can offer each other tips, insight and just plain old comfort in knowing we aren't alone in our journey. 

Congratulations on taking such a great step and making that leap of faith!  =)

I'm in.

Just some background...I just finished my first W30 and lost a shade under 12 pounds. After a lifetime of dieting I made the decision in September 2012 to eliminate wheat and sugar from my diet after reading Dr. William Davis' Wheat Belly book. I had a laundry list of medical issues that were bothersome, a family history of Type 2 and cardiac issues, and I felt like general crap. Within three weeks of wheat elimination many of my issues (chronic rashes, joint pain, heartburn, etc) were gone. Since September I have lost 75 pounds, recently come to realize I have a dairy sensitivity, and generally feel fan freaking tastic. Every day it gets better. My husband and sister in law have adopted a similar way of eating and among the three of us we have lost about 170 pounds. I am gunning for a 100 pound loss by the end of this year, prreferably...by my 25th high school reunion on October 12th...so I am continuing with W30 eating because I really have felt fabulous and not in any way deprived. Looking forward to more cooking adventures, sharing, and laughs with this group. I promise not to post any more pictures of my underwear. Not this time, anyway. 

I'm in.

. . .

Yayyyy!!!  Welcome @MrsR!  I'm so happy we'll be continuing our journey together!  I really enjoy your posts!  I have no doubt you will reach your goal before your high school reunion! You've done fabulously so far!  =))

Ok... I'm in, too! Just as soon as I polish off this glass of wine. Took the day to enjoy some things I missed last month. Potatoes, dark chocolate, full fat dairy, and a little red wine. I was following the Perfect Health Diet today ;)

I really feel like I need another Whole30. Stayed "compliant" through July, but still have some issues to sort through. Mainly, need to limit fruit consumption, work on eating 3 solid meals/day, etc.

... here we go!

Hey! I am hopping over here from the July 29th board. I started that day and went almost 3 full days without any slip-ups and, despite feeling major withdrawal symptoms, felt very motivated. Then, tonight, with a throbbing headache, I desperately chugged down a couple of teaspoons of children's Motrin, only to realize that there's sugar in there. Oh, the irony! So, I am restarting tomorrow--should I go gorge myself on cheese right now? :P Nah, I am really happy that I have taken this step towards a healthier me. I definitely need to lose weight but the main reason I am doing this is that I don't feel good. My stomach feels bloated all the time and my educated self knows that changes needed to be made. I am doing this alone right now because I have to figure it all out before I can transition my family, especially my bread-and-cheese-in-any-form-loving daughter.

Looking forward to going through this with all of you!

Esther

I'm in again as well! I lost 12 pounds on last months Whole30, but so much more than that, I am not ruled by food cravings and have consistent energy all day long! I still need to consistently sleep more than 6 hours a night, but it is so so much better than it used to be! I'm trusting sleep will get better every passing day of this second Whole30. I did enjoy a bit of off-roading today, with a few spoonfuls of cinnamon ice cream and an apple tart, but I was so surprised to realize I really didn't miss it after all. It was really - meh! No more allergies to speak of either! My trouble now is finding really good meat that I can afford, and local pastured eggs. But I love a challenge, so I'm sure I'll find it somewhere! Happy Whole 30ing everyone! I look forward to getting to know everyone!

hi I am starting tomorrow, have done the whole life 8week challenge but the big difference here is paleo-ised food is not part of the challenge and that is the challenge for me. I have embraced grain free for nearly 2 years but now My main goal is to heal some pretty obsessive and unhealthy obsessions with food and sugar demons have got a strong hold of me in the form of chocolate, icecream and paleo treats and I found in recent months I have allowed more of this to creep in daily in increasing quantities every day. I am left me with low energy, mild acne, brain fog, obsession and sugar cravings. I am otherwise a physically fit and strong female but need to work on mental health now! Guna need help with this sugar stuff.... Can't believe how this has got hold of me like some drug

Day 1 of August Whole 30 and day 14 of a continued Whole 30. Going to extend it to end of August and make it a Whole 45.

Great eating today and loads of energy.

Hope everybody enjoyed their first day.

Sue

Good morning! I'm doing my very first Whole 30 starting today (It's going to actually be a "Whole 31," as I'm doing it the entire month of August). I got turned onto this program by a friend who's had amazing results.

I've got a lot of general inflammatory conditions (eczema, ulcerative colitis, random bouts of iritis, and acne), in addition to being about 70 pounds overweight. I'm also on a light dose of anti-depressants for anxiety and depression. I think I'm most looking forward to getting my super inflamed system under control, with losing weight being the other thing I'm after.

I was so nervous/excited all day yesterday to get home from work and COOK so I had food for today and tomorrow. I cooked for 4 hours last night to make sure I'd have breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the next 2 days--that's so crazy! I'm really loving the recipes in Well Fed, though. I made the mashed cauliflower, best chicken, and a veggie curry last night out of the book. And I also made an egg scramble with spinach and french-cut green beans. From cooking taste-testing, I think I'm going to be eating VERY well for the next 31 days. :)

Kick ass today, everyone!

I'm in.

I'm frexcited (heavy emphasis on the frightened over the excited) and committed.

My goals for my first W30 are to:

• decrease the number of days with a migraine
  • create healthy routine/habits around cooking and eating mindfully
  • improve my energy / irritable mood swings

I admit my secret long term goals are to lose 40 pounds, look and feel happy and fit, and say goodbye to anti-depressants forever.  But shhhh....that's a secret.  I won't have any trouble avoiding the scale... but in addition to the frequent run-ins with the Sugar Dragon I expect I will still have epic battles inside my head that 'it's no use'.

I have dysthymia (low grade, forever with me depression) and have done since at least 19. I'm 42.  Oops, 43.  Birthday last week.

I have had migraines of varying degrees of severity since my mid-twenties... no less then twice a month and usually weekly.  Always had a big tummy / apple-tastic shape regardless of my weight.  The one time this wasn't the case (tummy excluded) was the 2 years I was pregnant with / nursed my (fabulous) daughter.  She's now 12.  So hormonal imbalance?  Yeah, I think so.  I could never take birth control pills because they made me throw up for the entire first week and stay inside with horrible migraines every weekend.  I'm both looking forward to and terrified of menopause.  I only have a few years to sort this sh*t out.

But.. I'm trying to be realistic here.  If I can successfully go the month of August with no dairy, grains, or sugar then that's like other people climbing Everest.  I've never believed it was possible. This year, finally, I think I just got sick of feeling sick.

Off to eat a salmon cake and eggs.  Wish that sounded better... but I'm hoping by labor day it will!

B

Hi Everyone, I'm starting today too... really I started yesterday (day 0) but I want to stay accountable with the newsletters and check ins so this is day one!

I'm mostly paleo, but I don't sweat some tacos now and then or a burger or sandwich maybe once a week. The hardest part for me is going to be resisting having a beer / glass of wine / cocktail regularly.

I'm in good shape but carrying a few extra pounds... I've been crossfitting for years but really want to get to the "next level"... whatever that is :)

I'm mainly doing this to feel better inside and out, take my WODs up a notch, and break my dependence on happy hour. Good luck to you all!

Good Morning!  My husband and I are starting Whole30 today for the first time! We have a few friends who have gone paleo in the past few years and have had amazing results and shared Whole30 with us.  From the first moment on Whole9Life, I knew this would be the perfect lifestyle change for us.   Over the past three years I have lost 40+ pounds from realitivly clean eat, but over the past few months I've been yo-yo-ing on the scale and really want to get over my hurtle of the last 10 pounds.  I am also a certifed holistic health coach and using the next 30 days to watch our personal transformation and then look at adding Whole30 to my coaching business. 

I am excited to get to know everyone!  Good luck on Day 1! 

Hi all!

I'm joining in as well. I did my first Whole 30 mostly as a challenge to myself in January and felt really amazing. I've been keeping Paleo to some extent since then, but not at all as strict as I would've liked. Seems like August might be a good time to try another strict Whole 30, although I have a few upcoming events (including a music festival) that might pose a problem... will see how it goes. Also recently made a few batches of home-made jams and preserves which are delicious but non-compliantly mocking me in the kitchen right now. Late summer gifts for friends and family perhaps?

Something about me and my thoughts on all of this:

I'm a Swede who grew up eating cookies and drinking home-made juices and lemonades. I've always had a high metabolism and have been tall and skinny my whole life. I don't exercise. At all. But as I am fortunate to live in a place where a car is not a necessity, I walk a lot and bike on a daily basis.

As I'm closing in on 30, I do however realize my arteries are probably clogged up from all the accumulated fat and sugar over the years and that my habits need to be stabilized in order to lead a long, healthy life free from sugar demons and sickness. I see it as for once in my life being proactive and taking responsibility for my health. 

I don't normally eat any farmed meat (only occasional wild meat, fish and seafood caught in the area) and my biggest issue with a Paleo/Whole 30 diet in general is the amount of protein from meat it suggests. I won't get into it here, but I simply don't agree we (as a planet) can afford to or should eat so much meat on a daily basis. This forum is however a place for support and I don't moralize over anyones personal choices, so don't worry! August will be egg-heavy for me ;)

As a "reset" program on a regular basis, I am however a "Whole 30 believer" and have converted a number of my friends to try it (some with lasting results!). My (modified) goal is to do a full, strict Whole 30 at least once, preferably twice, a year. Immediately after my first success in January, I was convinced I could do it once every quarter, but I just can't commit to that it seems. I have however been avoiding gluten and dairy (except cheese!) since January and do not miss it one bit. Sugar is still a main weakness, as well as peanut butter :P 

Hopefully this time around I'll get even more motivated to stay on track and reinforce my conviction in a clean, sensible and delicious way of eating! Go Whole 30!

Welcome to everyone!  I was so excited to log on this morning and see how many more people joined the discussion and are on board for August!  It sounds like we have a great bunch with a lot of good goals in place!  I'm excited to watch all of us grow through this next month and see how everyone continues to tweak their lifestyles and the positive changes that occur in each of our lives as a result.  =)

Last night I did what I didn't do for my first W30... I had my husband take the 'before' photos and also took starting measurements of various key areas of my body so that I'll have a more tangible method for analyzing the results from this next round with regards to my body composition.  Like a few of you, I consider myself 'fit' already but have some room to improve in regards to leaning out a bit more and also seeing if continuing to follow the Whole9 Life plan ramps up my abilities in my CrossFit WOD's as well as my distance running.  I will be running one of my favorite full marathons this coming October and hope that this continuation of my clean eating and my overall approach to improving other key areas such as sleep, recovery, play, etc will be a significant factor in making me stronger for the course. 

Goals (in general):

1.  Shoot for 7-8 quality hours of sleep per night (I still tend to average between 6-7 during my work week)

2.  Turn the TV off an hour before I anticipate going to bed

3.  Increase my 'me' time with regards to dedicating a few hours of enjoyable reading per week

4.  Make a new/different W30 compliant recipe each week (I bought Well Fed during my 1st W30 & need to break into the tastiness!)

5.  Attend one spin class per week

6.  Do 3 - 4 CrossFit WOD's weekly

7.  Do one hill training session per week (marathon is in San Francisco and I live in AZ - need to amp up the hill training)

8.  Continue to work on accepting my body for what it does for me and not criticizing it for not being everything I want it to be physically.

I think those are plenty of goals to work on for this next W30.  Since I plan to continue and do another W30 (making it a W90 in total), I will add additional goals at that time.  I am thrilled that I slayed the Sugar Dragon quite easily during my first W30 last month and so far, the dragon is still history.  I also find that I don't seem to have any issues with regards to cravings of any kind.  I DO get tired of always having dishes to clean or having to put dishes away but, it's a fair trade-off for how great my internal system is feeling.

Have a fatntastic day everyone!  I'll be checking back in around lunch time to see how everyone is doing.  =)

Day 1, although I started July 29 and got sabbotaged by Children's Advil--I got on the scale this morning to see how I did in my first few days of being completely grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free. Down 4 pounds. Not the most important but motivating nonetheless.

Have not eaten enough today. I woke up with a headache and it has not really gone away. I am hoping that eating a good lunch (grass-fed hot dogs from Applegate Farms and a big salad with avocado will do the trick. Got through a trip to Target and my son leaving over some Pizza Hut pizza, which I would usually eat, without faltering. Might not feel great physically but, mentally I am totally feeling great.

I have not been working out much in the last month. Summer heat is hard on me but the real problem was the intense bloating I was experiencing. I am really hoping that this new way of eating will make a big difference.

Planning on making this crockpot chicken for dinner: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy

Hope you're all having a great day!

@esther105 - hang in there... I'm sure that after a week or so (maybe not even that long), you will get relief from the bloating that's been bothering you.  The only dairy I really had in my pre-W30 days was some cream in my coffee but within the first several days of eliminating just that little bit, I noticed a significant change where I didn't have anymore of the bloating that I had pre-W30.  I had no idea that the tiny bit of dairy I was consuming could be such a nasty little saboteur!  Stick with the plan and I know you will feel wonders working within! 

@mrsmcg6306 - love having a certified holistic health coach in our group!  =)  It's great that you're doing this and looking to add it to your business practice!  I've been on the holistic healing bandwagon since early last year when a conventional doctor completely turned me off on conventional medicine during my annual exam!  I have to say, ever since switching to holistic healing methods, I am a much happier person! 

Hey! I am hopping over here from the July 29th board. I started that day and went almost 3 full days without any slip-ups and, despite feeling major withdrawal symptoms, felt very motivated. Then, tonight, with a throbbing headache, I desperately chugged down a couple of teaspoons of children's Motrin, only to realize that there's sugar in there. Oh, the irony! So, I am restarting tomorrow--should I go gorge myself on cheese right now? :P Nah, I am really happy that I have taken this step towards a healthier me. I definitely need to lose weight but the main reason I am doing this is that I don't feel good. My stomach feels bloated all the time and my educated self knows that changes needed to be made. I am doing this alone right now because I have to figure it all out before I can transition my family, especially my bread-and-cheese-in-any-form-loving daughter.

Looking forward to going through this with all of you!

Esther

. Im on day three and have an intense headache. I wonder if that is common when starting out? Tempted to take some Advil but I think I'll ride it out.

. Im on day three and have an intense headache. I wonder if that is common when starting out? Tempted to take some Advil but I think I'll ride it out.

This morning, it's been on and off throbbing, but I am trying to power through as well. As long as I can function, I will be OK. Trying to make sure I drink a lot of water.

On another topic altogether, is anyone having any issues with constipation? I am eating plenty of fruits and veges so it surprises me that I would have any issues. I pride myself on my regularity. :P

Hi, 

I want to rock it with you. This is my first Whole30.  I'm slightly overwhelmed.  I did go sugar, wheat and flour free for 2 years once. When I did that, I felt good, but not great.  I struggle with lots of fatigue and inflammation.  Now, I have quite a bit of weight to lose, but my focus is on feeling better.  

I want to be a part of this community, but right now I am overwhelmed.  I don't know where to start on the forum, so I am starting here.   :)   If someone could give my some guidance, I would appreciate it.  

Anyway, I have made it through lunchtime, which is huge progress for me lately.  I am glad there are lots of people doing this with me.  I keep putting myself out there, trying to get all the accountability that I can.  

For those of you on your first W30 who are suffering from headaches, constipation, etc and are wondering whether it's 'normal', this link from the Whole9 Blog might provide some very helpful information.  Actually, it's helpful information for ALL people who are doing a Whole30! 

http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole30-timeline/

** NOTE:  I also recommend reading through all of the comments at the end of the blog post.  There may be information in them that might be relevant to your experience.

Hi, 

I want to rock it with you. This is my first Whole30.  I'm slightly overwhelmed.  I did go sugar, wheat and flour free for 2 years once. When I did that, I felt good, but not great.  I struggle with lots of fatigue and inflammation.  Now, I have quite a bit of weight to lose, but my focus is on feeling better.  

I want to be a part of this community, but right now I am overwhelmed.  I don't know where to start on the forum, so I am starting here.   :)   If someone could give my some guidance, I would appreciate it.  

Anyway, I have made it through lunchtime, which is huge progress for me lately.  I am glad there are lots of people doing this with me.  I keep putting myself out there, trying to get all the accountability that I can.  

@victorynsurrender - Welcome to our group!  You have come to the right place!  The best advice I can give you is to stick it out no matter how you might be feeling.  Try to take things moment by moment to try to minimize the feelings of being overwhelmed or stressed out.  Whenever you find yourself struggling, post something here on our thread.  Whenever you have happy things to report... again, post something... have a question... then ask... whatever is going on during your W30, we will all be a part of it and try to help out.  There are moderators as well who pop in and check to see if anyone needs their assistance.  As far as guidance goes, I definitely recommend signing up for the Whole30 Daily Emails if you haven't already.  They provide a lot of pertinent information and the information always seems to be delivered during just the right time over the course of the experience.  I also recommend reviewing the timeline that I provided a link to in a previous post on our thread.  =) 

We are all in this together and here to support each other, cheer each other on, provide some insight & feedback and celebrate each others victories...whether they are large ones or small ones.. a victory should be celebrated and shared! 

I did my first whole 30 last year and blogged almost every day of it. I went to a party and gorged myself on fruit available (thank goodness) and whatever meat I could find and pretty sure that meat was cured with sugar so pretty sure I strayed in that sense but going to a party without drinking booze/smoking cigarettes was such a win that I didn't feel too terrible about it. Doing it again this year, feeling very unprepared for the boredom as I don't have internet outside of my phone or cable to keep me distracted! Hopefully I will be able to distract myself without going to the bar. I know it shouldn't be this difficult, but it is!

Archived