August 1 Start Date - Who Wants to Rock This w/ Me?

wylandfn

Oh, and does anyone have a good recipe for a summery type of soup - not containing chicken or beef (a challenge, yes I know...)? I love soups and usually eat gazpacho on really hot days, but the nutritional value (and lack of protein and fat) of that is too low for me to accept it as part of a whole 30... All I can think of are pea soups, but that's obviously not ideal either!

These are great - I personally have made the Basic Farmers Market Gazpacho several times, and enjoy it with my protein of choice on the side. http://whole9life.com/2012/07/summer-soups/

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES!  I'm in!  

It's my 3rd go on the Whole30.   I'm excited to get back to eating great fresh food and staying away from the kids' pizza crusts (yes, that's one of my cheat foods!  along with whatever candy they bring home from birthday parties...oh, yeah, there's the gin and tonics I've recently become addicted to, as well)

YAY for coconut milk, cucumbers, eggs, olive oil, brussels sprouts, grapefruit and sausage!!

Here's my lunch from Day 1  

I am trying out the idea of eating my fruit as I eat the rest of my meal instead of saving it for the end.  Hoping that will end the preconceived notion that I should always have something sweet after I finish my meal.  Has anyone else tried this?

post-33920-0-23523800-1375447022_thumb.j

Day 1 went really well for me. I expect today will be fine too, but I'm really bracing myself for tomorrow (when the "KILL ME NOW" headaches begin). I've decided to blog every day of my Whole 30 (link's below if you're curious). 

For those who have done this before: how have you dealt with the headaches you get on days 2-3? I'm sort of glad mine will be hitting over the weekend, so I'm not expected to be entirely functional all day long. :)

Day 1 went really well for me. I expect today will be fine too, but I'm really bracing myself for tomorrow (when the "KILL ME NOW" headaches begin). I've decided to blog every day of my Whole 30 (link's below if you're curious). 

For those who have done this before: how have you dealt with the headaches you get on days 2-3? I'm sort of glad mine will be hitting over the weekend, so I'm not expected to be entirely functional all day long. :)

--------------------------------------

Keep in mind that not everyone will experience the same things that are on the timeline.  Maybe you'll be blessed and won't suffer the "KILL ME NOW" headaches?  =)  Last month during the first W30, I didn't really have any of those, I just had a mild ache and that's about it.  I hope you are one of the lucky ones and don't have to suffer through the weekend.  =)

My first day went pretty well I think.  Stuck strictly to the plan and at the end of the day felt like I made a great accomplishment.  I had several people at work comment on how healthy my lunch looked and it wasn't intended as a slight...they actually were looking at it like they might want to taste it, lol.

I don't cook...don't even really LIKE to cook, and I already do what little cooking I do on Sundays (fortunately just have to think about me, lol), then freeze for the week, but I'm thinking it would be a good idea to do something crockpot-ish or maybe some of those soups too.

I made a gravy from the veges and had it over a big bowl of spaghetti squash. It was tasty, although it could have used a bit more flavor.

OMG, I've been really craving spaghetti squash for weeks now, but I can't find any!  I can't wait for spaghetti squash season in my area, lol.

I'm hungry now but will make it until morning.  I do count calories and this was just over 1,000.  Adding healthy fat will put me in a good range for me.  I need to lose 30 more pounds, down 15 since January.

I've been GF for 10 or so years but am definitely a slave to the sugar dragon.  Gave up grains and white sugar for the new year when I lost the 15 but pretty much started inhaling maple syrup and honey so it's time for tough love!  The dairy is what kept me from starting the Whole30 in January.  I'm ready now.  These extra pounds have slowed my running pace way down.  not cool.

I was hungry before bed last night too, but resisted snacking and was surprised to find that I was still able to get to sleep and it was fine, lol.  I count calories as well...mostly informational at this point, but I track every day...I'm kind of one of those people, lol.  And, your comments about sugar and dairy really hit home for me as well.

I am trying out the idea of eating my fruit as I eat the rest of my meal instead of saving it for the end.  Hoping that will end the preconceived notion that I should always have something sweet after I finish my meal.  Has anyone else tried this?

I've been doing it this week for lunch.  I've been eating my apple with my meal...I think it's really been working well.

My first day went pretty well I think.  Stuck strictly to the plan and at the end of the day felt like I made a great accomplishment.  I had several people at work comment on how healthy my lunch looked and it wasn't intended as a slight...they actually were looking at it like they might want to taste it, lol.

Ha! I got a lot of that yesterday too (I had made a veggie curry, mashed cauliflower, and chicken breast, which I ate all together). And one of my coworkers actually asked to try it! I gave her some and she immediately asked for the recipes. 

I have a predicament to throw out to you all hoping one of you or a moderator might be able to help me with.

My work schedule is 0600 - 1630, I work in the downtown area of a very large city but live SW of the area (translation:  RUSH hour issues).  The soonest I get to my workouts after work is 1730.  After the 1hr workout, by the time I get home if I don't have to make any stops along the way, it's already near 1900.  I still need to clean up, unpack lunch containers & gym bag from the day, pack new lunch for the following day, repack gym bag for the following day, try to eat something for Meal #3 and still try to be in bed no later than 2030 to get just barely 7hrs of sleep before I start the vicious cycle again.  I don't like eating so close to going to bed so a lot of times I eat more of what would look like a 'snack' consisting of a protein & veggie for carb as opposed to a full-on meal.  This is the only area of my current day to day routine that I feel isn't 100% ideal however; I don't see how I can change any of it if I want to get in consistent workouts. 

I thought about working out before work but, my 'gym's' earliest class is 0600.  I also thought about running before work instead of going to the gym afterwards but, that would require me to get up no later than 0330 which would require me to go to bed even earlier and I would miss lifting heavy things and HIIT training by just doing the running.

Like I said, I have a predicament and obviously need a little help from some 'friends'.  =)

Hi, I want to claim my seat in your diverse group!  Wow. 

I'm on Day 2 of my first Whole30.  Frexcited is a great word, isn't it? 

I'm morbidly obese (over 100 pounds over my right weight) and in my 50s.  I was a normal weight person before I had children in my early 20s and since then, nothing has permanently gotten the weight off, including lapband surgery 2 years ago.   Diabetes runs in (stomps its way thru, more like) my family, and most of my relatives died of its complications.   Recently had a scare when my own blood sugar wasn't normal.  Cut out wheat and sugar and have watched my blood sugar quickly return to almost normal and the doctor agree to stop the medication.

I have high hopes for the Whole 30, and I recognize that it may take several runs through the Whole 30 to really heal. 

My food challenges include:  giving up dairy, drinking less coffee, having enough water. also can't eat huge meals since I have the lapband, but I can do this!

Non foodchallenges include:  staying away from scale, coworkers offering me junk food, and my own inner demons.  Oh yes, and people complimenting me on my weight loss.... lost 7 pounds in July when I gave up wheat and sugar.  [You would think complements would help, but... NO]

Thanks so much for being here!

I have a predicament to throw out to you all hoping one of you or a moderator might be able to help me with.

My work schedule is 0600 - 1630, I work in the downtown area of a very large city but live SW of the area (translation: RUSH hour issues). The soonest I get to my workouts after work is 1730. After the 1hr workout, by the time I get home if I don't have to make any stops along the way, it's already near 1900. I still need to clean up, unpack lunch containers & gym bag from the day, pack new lunch for the following day, repack gym bag for the following day, try to eat something for Meal #3 and still try to be in bed no later than 2030 to get just barely 7hrs of sleep before I start the vicious cycle again. I don't like eating so close to going to bed so a lot of times I eat more of what would look like a 'snack' consisting of a protein & veggie for carb as opposed to a full-on meal. This is the only area of my current day to day routine that I feel isn't 100% ideal however; I don't see how I can change any of it if I want to get in consistent workouts.

I thought about working out before work but, my 'gym's' earliest class is 0600. I also thought about running before work instead of going to the gym afterwards but, that would require me to get up no later than 0330 which would require me to go to bed even earlier and I would miss lifting heavy things and HIIT training by just doing the running.

Like I said, I have a predicament and obviously need a little help from some 'friends'. =)

Could you have your 3 meals before your workout, perhaps leaving starchy carbs out of meal 3 (following the idea of preWO being protein/fat), then have a decent postWO meal of protein and lots of vegies, low fat? This could be packed and eaten on the way home, or be ready for when you arrive?

I'm morbidly obese (over 100 pounds over my right weight) and in my 50s.  I was a normal weight person before I had children in my early 20s and since then, nothing has permanently gotten the weight off, including lapband surgery 2 years ago.   Diabetes runs in (stomps its way thru, more like) my family, and most of my relatives died of its complications.   Recently had a scare when my own blood sugar wasn't normal.  Cut out wheat and sugar and have watched my blood sugar quickly return to almost normal and the doctor agree to stop the medication.

I have high hopes for the Whole 30, and I recognize that it may take several runs through the Whole 30 to really heal. 

My food challenges include:  giving up dairy, drinking less coffee, having enough water. also can't eat huge meals since I have the lapband, but I can do this!

Non foodchallenges include:  staying away from scale, coworkers offering me junk food, and my own inner demons.  Oh yes, and people complimenting me on my weight loss.... lost 7 pounds in July when I gave up wheat and sugar.  [You would think complements would help, but... NO]

Yes, Miriam!!  Wheat + sugar = yuck.  

This is my 3rd go round on the Whole 30 and I get a little better at doing it right each time.  It just becomes more ingrained and a part of my everyday life.  Changing lifelong habits is not easy but can be done.  

I promise not to compliment you - but you can handle a challenge, right?  How about this one:  drink one less cup of coffee tomorrow than you  had today.  That's S.M.A.R.T, right?  

Kathy

I started yesterday as well! Been going great so far - I've been about 85% paleo for the last two months and thought a W30 would kick it up a notch!

Any great blogs you guys follow or people on instagram? I'm a super visual person and would love some new meal ideas!! 

YES! I am so excited to do this and so proud of going forward instead of telling myself "that won't work, you'll never make it," etc. I felt great yesterday and slept really well last night, and I'm committed to finding out what my body can handle. Too young to feel this bad, so it's time for a change!

I am a total stress eater and Whole30/Whole9 are a way healthier method of dealing with stress. I am a great cook, but my difficulties lie mostly with willpower. Clean eating makes me feel like I'm doctoring my body with healthy food, and that is very calming. Anybody else a victim of their own good cookin'? :)

Could you have your 3 meals before your workout, perhaps leaving starchy carbs out of meal 3 (following the idea of preWO being protein/fat), then have a decent postWO meal of protein and lots of vegies, low fat? This could be packed and eaten on the way home, or be ready for when you arrive?

I usually eat my Meal #2 around 1330 so, it would be difficult to eat a third meal before I leave work and head to the gym.  My main concern with my schedule is eating so close to when I have to be in bed.  I don't mind if the third meal is when I get home or if I have to make the third meal more of a 'snack', I just don't want to be sabotaging my results by not being able to avoid eating within 2 hrs of bedtime.  Frankly, once I get done with my workout, I rarely have an appetite and don't relish the idea of eating.  I usually do take a snack with me though for a post-WOD boost.  I usually bring a grass-fed hotdog or Chomps grass-fed beef stick for the protein and a handful of either carrots or sweet mini peppers for the veggies.  I have to force myself to eat them right after the WOD but, I usually do it.  I'm wondering how terrible it is for me if I do the post-WOD snack like I have been doing and then completely forego making myself a meal when I get home.  My first two meals of the day do a great job of sustaining my energy and keeping the hunger away - very satiating - so the post-WOD snack is usually plenty for me as far as how I feel.  I just don't know how it would affect the hormonal responses.

Does anyone know how to get a moderator to respond?  I've posted a request in my Whole30 Food Blog too but haven't gotten any kind of assistance.  Bummed.  =(

I made it yesterday. I went to spin class  at 6am so I needed 4 meals Breakfast 5am, 2nd breakfast 8:30am, Lunch 12pm, Dinner 7:00pm, and no Wine. Yes I am whining. hehehe 4 meals is OK right?

I have a few goals:

Less Arthritis Pain

Weight Loss

Better controlled Asthma

Better sleep.

Me me me! It will actually be a Whole 25 because I'm going to Rome and I'm certain I'll have mozzarella cheese, pasta, and pizza (all in moderation of course). It's my honeymoon and I've never been to Europe so I really would like to experience the food. But immediately upon returning I intend to do a full Whole 30.  I'd love to hang out here if you don't mind. 

I am trying to follow the FODMAPS food list since I have G.I. issues. Today's breakfast was almonds, banana, and a hard boiled egg. I also had 1 cup of coffee with non-dairy milk. 

My biggest issues will be eating between meals. I often don't feel very hungry in the morning but end up getting really snacky by about 10:30 or so. It's so annoying so I'm trying to stop that. 

In the past 9 weeks I've gained ~20-25 pounds, haven't weighed myself in a few weeks, which is insane because I'm 4'11 and generally weigh ~110 pounds tops. I am kind of freaking out but trying to get a grip. I can reel it in, make healthy food choices, and keep at my workouts. I am a workout junkie so I have no issues with that aspect. 

I made it yesterday. I went to spin class  at 6am so I needed 4 meals Breakfast 5am, 2nd breakfast 8:30am, Lunch 12pm, Dinner 7:00pm, and no Wine. Yes I am whining. hehehe 4 meals is OK right?

I have a few goals:

Less Arthritis Pain

Weight Loss

Better controlled Asthma

Better sleep.

I am pretty sure that 4 meals is completely acceptable. However, I think that the pre-workout meal is supposed to be small--and include protein and fat and the post workout meal should be protein and carbs with minimal fat. I am amazed that you're able to make it from 12 to 7pm without eating. I find that at the 4 hour mark hunger starts setting in. 

I started yesterday as well! Been going great so far - I've been about 85% paleo for the last two months and thought a W30 would kick it up a notch!

Any great blogs you guys follow or people on instagram? I'm a super visual person and would love some new meal ideas!! 

Some of the blogs I follow and pull up pretty much daily are:

www.marksdailyapple.com

www.paleomg.com (she's hilarious!  doesn't adhere to strict W30 so be cautious with the recipes)

www.theclothesmakethegirl

www.nomnompaleo.com

www.robbwolf.com

I don't follow these daily but, they both have pretty good 'scienc-y' information:

www.chriskresser.com

www.theeatingacademy.com

My work schedule is 0600 - 1630, I work in the downtown area of a very large city but live SW of the area (translation:  RUSH hour issues).  The soonest I get to my workouts after work is 1730.  After the 1hr workout, by the time I get home if I don't have to make any stops along the way, it's already near 1900.  I still need to clean up, unpack lunch containers & gym bag from the day, pack new lunch for the following day, repack gym bag for the following day, try to eat something for Meal #3 and still try to be in bed no later than 2030 to get just barely 7hrs of sleep before I start the vicious cycle again.  I don't like eating so close to going to bed so a lot of times I eat more of what would look like a 'snack' consisting of a protein & veggie for carb as opposed to a full-on meal.  This is the only area of my current day to day routine that I feel isn't 100% ideal however; I don't see how I can change any of it if I want to get in consistent workouts. 

I thought about working out before work but, my 'gym's' earliest class is 0600.  I also thought about running before work instead of going to the gym afterwards but, that would require me to get up no later than 0330 which would require me to go to bed even earlier and I would miss lifting heavy things and HIIT training by just doing the running.

Like I said, I have a predicament and obviously need a little help from some 'friends'.  =)

Is there any way to switch to a gym that's downtown or at least closer to work? The advantage being that you can get your workout in during rush hour and then be home earlier.

The other idea is to have multiple containers and pack all your meals for the working week on Sunday and then it's just a matter of grab and go. Obviously, a whole lotta planning and organization involved but I have friends that do this for their kids' school lunches.

Good luck!

Today is going pretty good. It seems like the throbbing headaches have finished (yeah!) and I am feeling generally satiated from my food choices. This morning I had a bowl of spaghetti squash with some Applegate Farms hot dog and a fried egg. Yum! Lunch is the leftover crockpot chicken shredded up and mixed with a dressing I made with avocado, a little ghee, lime, cilantro, and a little jalepeno. I had a few macadamia nuts for a snack.

Tonight I will make meatballs. My family loves them in a pepper sauce but I cannot stomach peppers so I will take some off before I put them in the sauce.

How is everyone else doing?

Hi everyone, 

So I made it through day 1.  I am feeling more excited on Day 2.  Posting here was a good start.  I need to get connected to people doing this.  

I am having an issue...I wonder if anyone has any suggestions?  

I haven't ever been a good sleeper.  I'm hoping that eating differently will change that.  But anyway, I wake up often during the night, and since I am a student, I nap on and off throughout the day.  So, the problem is, once I wake up, I have very strong cravings for sweets.  

It is really tough to ride these cravings out.  Last night, I woke up a couple of times, and I ate some apple. I didn't like doing that because I really want to get to just three meals a day, and I don't like eating fruit alone.  This morning, when I woke up, I had the same problem.  It was an overwhelming desire to eat right away.  In my mind, I just need to ride the cravings out.  Am I right?  

Otherwise, I had a very good day one.  This morning I got up and walked my dog first thing....which was new and very good.  

I hope everyone is having a good day!.  

I'm in!  Day 2 complete!

I am excited to start this and hopeful for the positive changes.  I am 36 and a mother to 3 (one who will be 4 months in 2 days!).  During my last pregnancy I had insulin-dependent diabetes and after delivery I still have high sugars (although I don't need insulin and I'm avoiding starting medications in hopes that I can control my sugars with diet).  For the past 2 months I've been struggling with chronic back and jaw pain keeping me from work and eating.  Because of the jaw issue, I was eating tons more lentils and beans because they were easier to eat and my sugars have been much higher and it might possibly explain why my inflammation is not going away.  My husband is interested in doing this with me, but hasn't made the commitment.  I also want to get my kids on board (easier to change habits when they are still young - 2 1/2 and 5) but still trying to figure out meals, etc.  Perhaps I start them in a few weeks when I don't feel as overwhelmed with just myself.  We eat quite healthy - no bread, no processed foods, but we have dairy, some grains, and tons of lentils and beans and other legumes... 

My goals:

To have my blood sugars under control to avoid medication

To alleviate my inflammation in my back and jaw

To improve my overall diet and health (and ultimately my family's)

I have the same issue... when I wake up from a nap I am DESPERATE for sugar. This also happens first thing in the morning.  In the morning though, coffee with cream would do but I would still CRAVE toast with Jelly or something similar.  In the afternoon I might fix that post nap need to binge with diet coke.  But plenty of times I have given in and binged anyway on anything in the house that would do:  toast and jelly was a favorite, granola bars, apples and peanut butter, chocolate chips, greek yogurt and honey...

I have discovered that drinking ice cold water with lemon IMMEDIATELY will help. I don't want it, but I don't gag doing it. . .  and it seems to get me through the mania.  I tell myself that 'I don't wanna' isn't a good enough reason not to agree to drink a glass of water before launching into a binge.

So chug iced unsweetened tea  or ice water with lemon - a full 8oz (which isn't that much in today's supersized world) when you wake up and are groggy.  The cold and rehydration actually wakes me up a bit.  Then distract yourself a bit if it isn't time for an actual meal and see if ithelps.

I am drinking my coffee black, but I sooooo miss diet soda.  I'm 90% sure nutrasweet is a major contributor to my migraines though, so I'm learning to live without...

I haven't ever been a good sleeper.  I'm hoping that eating differently will change that.  But anyway, I wake up often during the night, and since I am a student, I nap on and off throughout the day.  So, the problem is, once I wake up, I have very strong cravings for sweets.  

Hi All,

I started yesterday... quite a bit harder than I hoped, but I am persevering.  It wasn't the sugar dragon, as I thought it would be (although I am sure I will run into that soon).  It was the crackers and bread and the weird feeling that I wasn't eating anything "substantial".  I tried to avoid caffeine all day and by dinnertime had a real headache brewing.  I had some unsweetened iced tea in hopes to head it off, but I woke up with it still niggling behind my right eye.  I may have to cave and take some Advil, but am trying to avoid that.  Will wait and see how today goes.

The challenge for me is that I am the only one in my house doing this.  I thought it would be easier to get myself going on it before I tried to change the eating habits of my three picky kids.  So avoiding the available bad stuff in the pantry is tough.  It would be easier if I could just clean it all out, I'm sure.  But I know myself and I would be more likely to give up if I was bombarded with whining kids all day long who missed their bagels and Goldfish and "cheese yummies" (our family's name for quesadillas). 

Anyhow - I know how important this change is for me.  I am pretty sure I am pre-diabetic and my energy levels are way to low for someone who needs to keep up with three active kids (8, 10 &13).  I am definitely overweight, particularly in my mid-section, and would love to shed about 30 - 35 lbs eventually.  But avoiding diseases that I see sprouting up around me - friends with cancer, insulin-dependent family - is really my true goal.

I have several parties coming up this month - birthday, going away, and even a wedding.  I've never been able to not cheat on a diet/eating plan when going to a party - But I am really going to try this month.

Wish me luck!

And the best of luck to all of you as well!

Need to go grocery shopping again today, forgot how intense and expensive it was to eat nothing but great food! ;)

Being limited to the size of my bike basket is however good to keep me from over-buying and then having to eat the same thing for a week! This time around I'm aiming for a more balanced meal planning, trying to get a larger variety of things on my plate than what was possible in January (limited fresh produce, me buying things in bulk etc meant I sort of rotated the same things on a weekly basis).

I hear you on that! I walk to the grocery store in the city, and can only take home what I can carry. This means multiple trips a week to the store, and keeping it to the basics otherwise I drops some serious cash at Whole Foods and have no way to get it home :)

Archived