August 1 Start Date - Who Wants to Rock This w/ Me?

wylandfn

Halfway through day two! I'm not eating enough, I've been really light-headed. Then my hubby was sweet and made me lunch - egg sandwiches with goat cheese. D'oh. He doesn't really know I'm doing this yet. I took the egg off the bread and scraped what I could of the goat cheese off. But so far, so good. We have a couple parties to go to this weekend, but they're all super social venues where I can rock a club soda and no one will say anything.

Oh, and I majorly need to do some produce shopping. We did a Costco run for meat earlier this week so I have hamburger and chicken thighs up the wazoo. The only veg we have left in the house are some frozen bags of those peas-corn-green bean-carrot-lima bean mix the hubby bought weeks ago that is probably only 40% compliant. Think I can pick the carrots out and give the rest to the dog? I'm becoming a pickier eater than my toddler, LOL. And that kid eats EVERYTHING.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually eat my Meal #2 around 1330 so, it would be difficult to eat a third meal before I leave work and head to the gym. My main concern with my schedule is eating so close to when I have to be in bed. I don't mind if the third meal is when I get home or if I have to make the third meal more of a 'snack', I just don't want to be sabotaging my results by not being able to avoid eating within 2 hrs of bedtime. Frankly, once I get done with my workout, I rarely have an appetite and don't relish the idea of eating. I usually do take a snack with me though for a post-WOD boost. I usually bring a grass-fed hotdog or Chomps grass-fed beef stick for the protein and a handful of either carrots or sweet mini peppers for the veggies. I have to force myself to eat them right after the WOD but, I usually do it. I'm wondering how terrible it is for me if I do the post-WOD snack like I have been doing and then completely forego making myself a meal when I get home. My first two meals of the day do a great job of sustaining my energy and keeping the hunger away - very satiating - so the post-WOD snack is usually plenty for me as far as how I feel. I just don't know how it would affect the hormonal responses.

Does anyone know how to get a moderator to respond? I've posted a request in my Whole30 Food Blog too but haven't gotten any kind of assistance. Bummed. =(

Can you not change what you "usually" do? Surely starting at 6 means your meal 1 is before this? That's a huge gap between meals if you're not eating til 1:30.

If you could fit the three meals in, then have a slightly bigger meal than a normal postWO straight after, you wouldn't need to worry about eating again when you got home, it would solve the problem of trying to eat so close to bed time and also get enough food in to you to help you recover and refuel. Missing meals isn't going to help you feel any better!

I made it yesterday. I went to spin class at 6am so I needed 4 meals Breakfast 5am, 2nd breakfast 8:30am, Lunch 12pm, Dinner 7:00pm, and no Wine. Yes I am whining. hehehe 4 meals is OK right?

I have a few goals:

Less Arthritis Pain

Weight Loss

Better controlled Asthma

Better sleep.

You could have had 5 meals :P preWO, postWO...then meal 1 a bit later, meal 2 maybe mid afternoon (so you don't have such a big gap), and meal 3

I was really hungry today.

I had almonds, eggs, and banana for breakfast (I guess technically it was post workout) at about 9am.

Then I had an egg and carrots at about 11am (snack).

Then at 2pm I had 2 eggs, sweet potato, and ~3/4 cup grapes and fresh pineapple (lunch).

At about 4:30 I was still really hungry so I had some baked salmon and zucchini with a few nuts (snack/early dinner).

I'll probably eat again at ~7pm. I think it's partially dehydration, partially not enough food during my earlier meals, and probably boredom. I am happy with my choices though. I even made an angel food cake/berry trifle and didn't eat any. 

Hi everyone, 

So I made it through day 1.  I am feeling more excited on Day 2.  Posting here was a good start.  I need to get connected to people doing this.  

I am having an issue...I wonder if anyone has any suggestions?  

I haven't ever been a good sleeper.  I'm hoping that eating differently will change that.  But anyway, I wake up often during the night, and since I am a student, I nap on and off throughout the day.  So, the problem is, once I wake up, I have very strong cravings for sweets.  

It is really tough to ride these cravings out.  Last night, I woke up a couple of times, and I ate some apple. I didn't like doing that because I really want to get to just three meals a day, and I don't like eating fruit alone.  This morning, when I woke up, I had the same problem.  It was an overwhelming desire to eat right away.  In my mind, I just need to ride the cravings out.  Am I right?  

I would look into supplementing with l-glutamine. I have several friends who have had good success with that curbing sugar cravings. 

When I first gave up sugar I had this experience and I was able to ride them out because I'd purged the house completely of sugar. I had that option, though, I'm not sure what your situation is. But I can tell you that it does diminish. 

I was really hungry today.

I had almonds, eggs, and banana for breakfast (I guess technically it was post workout) at about 9am.

Then I had an egg and carrots at about 11am (snack).

Then at 2pm I had 2 eggs, sweet potato, and ~3/4 cup grapes and fresh pineapple (lunch).

At about 4:30 I was still really hungry so I had some baked salmon and zucchini with a few nuts (snack/early dinner).

I'll probably eat again at ~7pm. I think it's partially dehydration, partially not enough food during my earlier meals, and probably boredom. I am happy with my choices though. I even made an angel food cake/berry trifle and didn't eat any.

I think your theory of "not enough food" is probably the best one! Have you got a copy of the meal template? If you make sure your 3 meals fit that, and include a pre/postWO, you might be more satisfied and find you don't need to snack

Day 2 down!  Still feeling pretty good...not necessarily smiling down the hallways at work, but not bad really.   I'm so excited to go grocery shopping tomorrow.  I jumped right into the Whole30 without being totally prepared, but fortunately I had enough to get me to shopping day. 

My day looked like this:

Coffee with 1/4 can coconut milk

85/15 grass fed ground beef, small fuji apple and a few macadamia nuts

85/15 grass fed ground beef with a little bit of tomato sauce on it, 1/2 package organic frozen broccoli

Dinner was strange, but good.  I had 1/4 can of organic sweet potato puree, a ton of Brussels Sprouts (sauteed in coconut oil) and a few bites of watermelon.  My protein was going to be a Bell & Evans Grilled Chicken breast, but just before I popped it into the microwave, I decided to look at the ingredients...the last one was rice starch.  Dang.  I really didn't have any other protein that could be fixed quickly (i.e. didn't require hours of defrosting), so I had half a package of Applegate Organics Roast Beef slices.

Strange dinner, but surprisingly satisfying.  I also now realize that I didn't have any fat (other than in the meat) with my second meal.  Oops.

Throughout the day I had off and on, very subtle headaches...they were hardly noticable fortunately.

Today turned into KILL ALL THINGS! I don't know if it's the W30, just the extraordinary stresses in my family right now, or just a happy coincidence that they are both happening together. I will just say that my kids need to go to sleep very fast and my husband needs to leave me alone or I will lose it! :D

Dinner was yummy and, once we all sat down to eat, it was actually quite pleasant. I sauteed chopped onions, garlic, jalepeno and diced sweet potatoes with some salt & turmeric. Then I threw in a pound of grass fed chopped meat and cooked it all together. Put it over a big bowl of spaghetti squash. Delish and very filling. Had a handful of grapes for dessert.

Hope everyone had a good day!

Hi Everyone--I didn't sleep well last night.  I think too few carbs kept me a tad on the cold side, I even put on a hoody sweatshirt during the night, really confusing the cat!  I put an extra blanket on the bed for tonight.  We picked up our new car tonight and it took way longer than expected so we ran to our fav restaurant where I did NOT have a sangria or dessert.  It's a good spot that serves fresh and seasonal fare which is why we go there anyway, so it was easy to pick salmon with asparagus topped by a chopped tomato vinaigrette.  Meal 1 was sweet potato with a chicken sausage, kale & onion sauté.  Meal 2 was leftover spaghetti squash topped with a roasted red pepper, some raw sauerkraut and a can of sardines.

Thanks @GFChris--ooh! yummy summer soups immediately were pinned to my Whole30 board.  I am RunnerJudy on Pinterest as well.  Anyone else gathering recipes there?

@WholeBunchOJunk--yeah, I've been tracking on SparkPeople since 2007 and weighing in every Wednesday for a challenge there.  I'm looking for crockpot type meals although I generally use my dutch oven instead.  I do cook, almost every night for almost 40 years, but cooking three meals a day can be a bit much.  Leftovers, I know, but I'm looking for big batch stuff.

@Miriam--I totally get that weight loss compliments don't help…for me it's an invitation to self-sabotage.  Same with getting to a mini-goal weight.  I like the very black and white Whole30 rules.  Ya mess up, ya go to the back and start over.  Very motivating for me.  Glad you've joined us! 

@wylandfn--I would break that third meal up into pre & post WO meals.  I have bonked about 45 min into HIIT workouts where I hadn't eaten enough.  I love eating sweet potatoes before a race & protein with veggies after.  ok, read your later response.  hope that a moderator replies, too technical for me!

@nmz--I'm loving nomnompaleo & theclothesmakethegirl.  I follow Whole9 on instagram (where I am also RunnerJudy)--there were a lot of recipes posted in July there and seeing all the yummy food convinced me I could do (and enjoy) this.

@runninglawyer88--your weight gain sounds like me 18 months ago.  I gained 50# despite eating fairly well and working out regularly.  I too have GI issues.  I ended up going on the GAPs diet for a while, found that I cannot eat many raw vegetables and started concentrating on rebuilding my gut flora with probiotic rich fermented foods.  I no longer have daily stomach pain or IBS symptoms and have lost 20 of the 50# by eliminating grains and white sugar.  I am now ready to see what eliminating dairy and legumes does for me!  So excited for your wedding!  I'd eat mozzarella in Italy too!

@victorynsurrender--from what I've learned, it's really important to "fast" each night.  By not eating after supper, we allow our livers to finish digestion duties and then move on to it's second job of purifying the blood.  Getting up and getting out for a walk is a great way to start retraining yourself to a schedule.  I am very guilty of poor sleep habits myself as I am addicted to the computer.

Hi everyone:

Today I started out with grated sweet potatoe latkes fried in ghee and two fried eggs placed on top of my s/p latkes.

1 large cup of coffee with coconut milk. And a small bowl of blueberries with coconut milk.

Since today I wasn't going to have much time to cook dinner I decided to make a meal I could have for Lunch and Dinner.

I took a lbs of ground beef sauted with garlic and onions with salt and pepper to taste. To this I added sauted mushrooms, chopped spinach and a two egg omelet cut into bite size pieces all this sauted in ghee. This may not sound too appetizing, but believe me it was very yummy, lol =)

I had a small bowl of blueberries with coconut milk. 2 large glasses of cold water.

I've had no craving, however I'm not used to eating so much fat and I feel a little uncomfortable. I going to have some decal herbal tea later which I

hope will make me feel better. I'm also experiencing a mild head ache, I guess that's from the lack of sugar in my diet.

I plan to add a date to the jar that I'm keeping my coconut milk in just to give it a little sweetness. This I read was in compliance, in the forum can I have...

Well good night to all, tomorrow is going to be a great day... ;)

Today is Day 3 and so far, so good!  I've been feeling pretty good, no major withdraws or crankiness.  I'm loving the fact that I can eat things like chili over a bed of baby spinach for breakfast.  Yesterday evening I went to Whole Foods and picked up some items on the Pantry Stocking List (http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Pantry-Stocking.pdf), like coconut aminos (what is that??) and look forward to trying them out.  This morning I tried something COMPLETELY bizarre - Blueberry Eggs and Spinach!  http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/02/16/blueberry-kale-omelette/#more-1403

I will say, however, that late yesterday evening/night I had some major cravings: I had to make a last minute run into town to pick up some supplies for my husband.  In the past, I might have snuck in a trip to taco bell.  It was hard to resist, but resist I did!  Very proud of myself for that. Unfortunately, later that night when I got home, after I had eaten dinner (fajita meat over a bed of spinach), I was still feeling kinda hungry and so I heated up and ate two sausage links.  I say 'unfortunately' because I really think that was a craving, not true hunger.  I immediately regretted eating the sausage.  I normally try to assess whether I'm actually hungry by my reaction to eating an apple or eating something savory.  And even then, I try to drink a glass of water and wait a while.  I guess cravings got the best of me, but at least it was sausage and not something worse!  I will be stronger next time!

I signed up for the Whole30 Daily emails.  I LOVE the little videos that show up after you click the link at the end.  :D

And another thing! 

I'm very aware that the point of Whole 30 is to break certain behavioral habits regarding food.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I made blueberry eggs and spinach.  I thought it was pretty tasty, but what I really liked were the cooked blueberries.  They reminded me so much of blueberry pancakes!  YUM! 

If eating those cooked blueberries caused that kind of mental response, should I continue eating them??

And another thing!

I'm very aware that the point of Whole 30 is to break certain behavioral habits regarding food. As I mentioned in my previous post, I made blueberry eggs and spinach. I thought it was pretty tasty, but what I really liked were the cooked blueberries. They reminded me so much of blueberry pancakes! YUM!

If eating those cooked blueberries caused that kind of mental response, should I continue eating them??

I think perhaps avoiding eating them how you ate them (In the way that made you think of pancakes) would be a good idea? Maybe you could have them as part of a salad, or just have them on the side?

I've made sweet eggs with fruit before (not during whole 30), yum! but i can't imagine adding the spinach or savoury things.....

We are sailing smoothly into Day 3.  Went to the farmers market today and spoke with one of the Amish Butchers about nitrate and sugar free bacon. He is going to prepare two pounds specifically for us to pick up in two weeks :)  I am headed out to a baby shower in about 40 minutes and have a pretty good game plan for the lunch I will be eating.  A salad bar is one of the options - so I plan to load up on any of the yummy veggies options are available to me- aside from hard boiled eggs, I doubt a protein option will be available to me.  I packed a larabar in my bag, so I can have a "treat" while everyone is enjoying cupcakes (which are sitting on my dining room table right now!) and we are treating them like the plague! 

My husband (or Fred as I like to call him - now that I am referring to us a Fred and Wilma Flintstone) is doing really well considering he quit smoking the same day we started Whole30!

I am meeting with a health coaching client of mine tomorrow to introduce her into clean eating and transitioning her from the processed packaged world she has been living into clean eating and then Whole30!  Loving my job!!

My husband (or Fred as I like to call him - now that I am referring to us a Fred and Wilma Flintstone) is doing really well considering he quit smoking the same day we started Whole30!

I am meeting with a health coaching client of mine tomorrow to introduce her into clean eating and transitioning her from the processed packaged world she has been living into clean eating and then Whole30!  Loving my job!!

LOVE the "Fred & Wilma Flintstone" nicknames!  Cute and quite appropriate!  =) 

I think perhaps avoiding eating them how you ate them (In the way that made you think of pancakes) would be a good idea? Maybe you could have them as part of a salad, or just have them on the side?

I've made sweet eggs with fruit before (not during whole 30), yum! but i can't imagine adding the spinach or savoury things.....

Thanks.  I think I will avoid them.  It grossed out my husband anyway!  :)  I told him I had eggs with blueberries and he thought that was disgusting.  Good thing I didn't tell him there was also spinach involved!!  :)  :)  While not the absolute best tasting things, they weren't bad, and I'm glad I tried them.  Couldn't really tell there was spinach in there (the original recipe calls for kale). 

Day 3 (technically ...34 if you include the first W30 from July) - Still not having any craving issues and don't miss anything (including my usual kryptonite... ice cream). 

I have the weekly cook-up pretty much nailed down by now!  I have quite a few staples that I know work for me and are easy to prep & keep stocked in the refrigerator and very versatile for meals so, grocery shopping is pretty second nature and easy.  Did my grocery shopping after my WOD last night and once home, immediately started the prep. 

1. Roasted my spaghetti squash

2. Shredded numerous sweet potatoes then sauteed/fried them in clarified butter, avocado oil & seasonings

3. Roasted some additional SP's in oven once spaghetti squash was finished

4. Prepped Meal #1 & #2 for the following day (today) since I'm at work for OT today

This morning, before heading in to work I assembled everything in the crockpot so that tonight I'll have a HUGE batch of "5-Spice Slow-Cooker Pork Ribs" stocked up for the week.  This has become a weekly staple!  Thank you Melicious Joulwan!!!  I seriously recommend the following recipe if any of you are looking for a large batch of protein to cook up easily in a crockpot and is extremely flavorful!  (in addition to the spices she lists, I also add cayenne pepper - nice compliment to everything else!)

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/02/23/5-spice-slow-cooker-pork-ribs/

When I get home, I roast up my brussel sprouts, crispy brussel sprout leaves and also my broccoli.  My vegetables will be all stocked up for next week!  I will then be whipping up some chicken a'la Melissa Joulwan's "The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat" recipe:

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/04/25/best-chicken-throw/

Can't wait to try that one!  =)

Tomorrow's the 'big day' for me... I'm taking a good friend out grocery shopping and then going home with her and showing her how I do all of my food prep and weekly cook-up so that she and her husband can join in on the journey to GREAT health!  This is all at HER request without any prompting from me.. just from her observations of my behavior and me giving her tastes of my meals at work.  =)

Have a great weekend everyone! 

I do have the meal template and will do my best to follow it more closely. I got a colonic this morning so I didn't eat beforehand and didnt have enough foresight to pack so I failed--ate a gluten free protein bar with artificial sweetener and other yuckies :( not pleased but I'm moving forward anyway. I was just hungry after bring awake for 5 hours without food and having run 5 miles this morning. I set myself up for failure.

So, lesson learned. And I'm happy to have "confessed."

Hubby asked me where I want to go to dinner and I politely declined his offer and instead suggested we grill at home. Much better option.

Totally rocked it at the baby shower.  Went with a bunless burger- no cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion.  Passed on all of the dips, salsa and chips.  Chugged the h20 and nibbled on my larabar.  Not once did I feel deprived or like I was missing out. It is more interesting to see what everyone has to say or react to eating this way.  I just love when the ladies around me all said they need to go on a diet and are the first ones in the spinach dip and slamming down the cupcakes with a diet coke!  Classic

• Moderators

I usually eat my Meal #2 around 1330 so, it would be difficult to eat a third meal before I leave work and head to the gym.  My main concern with my schedule is eating so close to when I have to be in bed.  I don't mind if the third meal is when I get home or if I have to make the third meal more of a 'snack', I just don't want to be sabotaging my results by not being able to avoid eating within 2 hrs of bedtime.  Frankly, once I get done with my workout, I rarely have an appetite and don't relish the idea of eating.  I usually do take a snack with me though for a post-WOD boost.  I usually bring a grass-fed hotdog or Chomps grass-fed beef stick for the protein and a handful of either carrots or sweet mini peppers for the veggies.  I have to force myself to eat them right after the WOD but, I usually do it.  I'm wondering how terrible it is for me if I do the post-WOD snack like I have been doing and then completely forego making myself a meal when I get home.  My first two meals of the day do a great job of sustaining my energy and keeping the hunger away - very satiating - so the post-WOD snack is usually plenty for me as far as how I feel.  I just don't know how it would affect the hormonal responses.

Does anyone know how to get a moderator to respond?  I've posted a request in my Whole30 Food Blog too but haven't gotten any kind of assistance.  Bummed.  =(

Maybe your schedule does not permit timing your meals ideally, so the question is where to compromise and what is that compromise costing you. I can't give you a better plan than what you are already doing given the conditions you are describing.

You do need more than 7 hours of sleep, but you can go your whole life not getting the 8 or more that is ideal. The stress of getting a little less sleep than you need may shorten your life a year or two, but it is impossible to calculate such a thing exactly.

Front loading your meals so that you eat more early and less late is actually an okay approach to eating.

The problem with eating close to bed time is that it increases the chance of disturbing your sleep. If you are sleeping okay eating close to bedtime, then I would not question it. I sometimes eat within an hour of bedtime. Sometimes I wake up 3 or 4 hours later, sometimes I make it through the night. These things are variable, but giving your body at least two hours to digest before sleeping is ideal.

Housekeeping note: Moderators do not read every word that is posted in the forum. I personally don't read group posts like the August 1 start date thread unless someone calls me in to deal with issues. Posting your question/concern as an independent topic is more likely to get the attention of a moderator. Another approach is to send a private message to a moderator.

The responses you got from Amberino were pretty good. I read lots of threads and am happy with what participants have already said, so often don't add anything. I'm just acknowledging here that the limitations of your schedule have consequences and you might be okay to just keep doing what you are doing.

Totally rocked it at the baby shower.  Went with a bunless burger- no cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion.  Passed on all of the dips, salsa and chips.  Chugged the h20 and nibbled on my larabar.  Not once did I feel deprived or like I was missing out. It is more interesting to see what everyone has to say or react to eating this way.  I just love when the ladies around me all said they need to go on a diet and are the first ones in the spinach dip and slamming down the cupcakes with a diet coke!  Classic

Way to go! That's awesome! 

Archived