Easy control of diabetes

The day that I began my first Whole30 in February 2013, I had a follow-up appointment for my diabetes.  I had been working hard using the plate method, eating 7 times a day, but only 1200 calories.  I tried to save 50 for a treat at the end.  I was pretty excited to have an A1c of 5.9 that day.

After one complete Whole30 and a lot of clean days in between.  My A1c is now 5.4  I already had excellent control and now I fall in the "normal" range.  To drop that much in a short time is something I have never experienced.

The best part is that I did it while not feeling deprived.  I eat three times a day and I am not HUNGRY (or hangry) all day.  It is so comforting to sit down to a real plate of tasty food and feel satisfied.

The added bonus is that I did have weigh to lose.  My doctor said I wouldn't be able to since I had tried.  But diabetes is serious business and I knew that I would need a healthier body to carry me through the rest of my life.  I had been at a plateau for a very long time.  With Whole30 eating, I did lose and my body shape did change.  All I had to do was eat.

One of the best side effects of my first W30 was the effect it had on my husband, who was not officially participating, but eats what I cook!  He went rapidly from scary getting-out-of-control type 2 diabetes to daily blood sugar readings below 100 and a reduction in his a1C from 7.0 to 6.2 while having his meds reduced by half.  In the mostly paleo aftermath, he has seen continued improvement.   :wub:

I'm on Day Two of my first Whole 30 - but in July I went totally clean of gluten, most grains, and got totally off sugar for the first time in forever.  They took me off the metformin and told me that if my A1C continued to improve I would no longer be considered pre-diabetic!   (I also lost a bunch of weight, and I love that, but its secondary to the health stuff.) 

Thanks for sharing, I'm really hoping this month will show me some amazing things!

Don't discount the weight loss.  To many in the medical community, it strongly signals that you are serious about making lifestyle changes, and therefore, serious about improving your health without having to rely on "more better stronger" meds.

In other words, congratulations!  Bask in ALL your success!   :)

Archived