Physically unable to do 3 meals per day, on one training day each week.

I train a few times a week but there's one or two days I may have trouble with. I start training at 7 or 8pm and finish at 9. I usually do this fasted but for a good reason. If I eat up before I train- even with 6 hours in between, I throw it all up afterwards. I might be able to fit in a pre workout as its not too much food, but anything else and I'll have to suffer from nausea and a migraine for the long journey home.

I've been to my doctor, and he found nothing after numerous tests, but when I fast beforehand and drink my paleo friendly electrolite drink, I'm usually fine.

Could the pre-workout count as breakfast, or is that an extra meal? Also would it be possible to have my post workout meal in the car on the way home, then combine the other 2-3 meals? Or would I be okay with just having one meal after my post workout meal?

Do you train early morning? Or night?

The pre/postWO are supposed to be extra meals - could you eat a small preWO (HB egg), then post WO in the car, then a late proper breakfast when you get home? You could squish your meals closer together later in the day?

How long are you working out? 7-10? What intensity? That's an inordinately long time unless you are a pro level athlete.... Or pre season training for a specific event... Just saying because over training can be worse than not training...

That said, I'm up at 5:30 and its all I can do to get a cup of coffee in me before Crossfit. We have a very strength and power oriented box, and do a solid strength WO before our WODS.

I function just fine on an empty stomach, as long as I eat a solid recovery meal immediately post WO and get enough to eat the rest of the day....

In a perfect world eating pre and post WO meals plus three template meals is the goal.... But if you can't, sticking to the template and getting three regular meals should take precedence. Otherwise you won't get enough veggies/ fat/micros....

How long are you working out? 7-10? What intensity? That's an inordinately long time unless you are a pro level athlete.... Or pre season training for a specific event... Just saying because over training can be worse than not training...

That said, I'm up at 5:30 and its all I can do to get a cup of coffee in me before Crossfit. We have a very strength and power oriented box, and do a solid strength WO before our WODS.

I function just fine on an empty stomach, as long as I eat a solid recovery meal immediately post WO and get enough to eat the rest of the day....

In a perfect world eating pre and post WO meals plus three template meals is the goal.... But if you can't, sticking to the template and getting three regular meals should take precedence. Otherwise you won't get enough veggies/ fat/micros....

Yeah i train for two hours; 7-10pm. Its high intensity. Its standard for roller derby though. And I'll be doing it as a hybrid with p90x & insanity. With rest days of course!

I could probably cope with the 3 template meals. Its just the pre and post workout i'd struggle with!

Along with taking what works for you from these suggestions, you might also hop on over to thecothesmakethegirl.com and browse around for Melissa Joulwan's take on this situation.  She eats Whole30/Whole30AIP/Paleo and she is a roller derby person (or was for several years).  She might have some blog posts about training and eating.  I don't know, really, I usually look just for recipe posts over there.  But if I were into roller derby and doing a Whole30 I'd definitely consider her a go-to resource.

I'm confused! You mentioned preWO counting as breakfast...but you're training at night?

Could you eat breakfast, lunch, something mini preWO if it doesn't upset you during training, then a big meal post training? If you get it in straight away you'll still have a few hours before you go to bed...

I'm just having a hard time getting this: you say you workout from 7-10pm and go to bed at 2am, and that you can not eat for 6 hours prior to training. That means your eating window is from whenever you get up (let's hope that is 10am) and six hours before you start training, so, 1pm. To me, this doesn't look like a sustainable lifestyle. I'm sorry, but it really makes me wonder if you should rethink what you are doing a bit? Why are you staying up so late? What are you doing during that time?

Could you, for example: Go to bed at 11pm, get up at 7am? That would give you from 7-1 to eat more reasonably, In which case: meal #1 at 8am, meal #2 at noon, pre-WO meal at 6:30pm, post-WO meal right at 10, meal #3 asap, around 10:30pm then straight to bed?

Maybe given enough time eating this way your digestive upset will relax and you will be able to eat closer to your workouts, but also do some thinking about your goals and priorities. Does your current workout and eating schedule make you healthier or less healthy? Does that matter to you? If other prioirities are more important right now, that's fine, just be aware of the compromises you are making.

Charlene^^^^

Wow, roller derby !!! Brings back memories of when I was a kid and me and my dad would watch the NY bombers. Lol

All I can say is that I know and have trained with some top level athletes, the latest being Daniel Camargo ( Team USA oly weightlifting coach and winner of several world and national titles/records). He was to compete on the US oly team three times only to have to drop out due to injury, sickness and finally retired early to focus on coaching.... Never made it to the Olympics or the podium where he was a favorite to medal.

Why??? Overtraining.... He had access to the best coaches and trainers in the world and still he got crushed

I say this as on Saturday I just completed an eight hour oly lift seminar ( we had the bar in our hands for a good four hours) and hit PRs on the snatch and the Cand J....... And It left me completely drained and almost comatose.... Mainly because I probably needed to eat 300% more than normal to stay fueled, I ate about 50% more, but still nowhere near where I needed. I can't move today!!!!!

I could not imagine training like that 5-6 days a week, but that is what these guys do at that level..... If your nutrition, rest,recovery, is not where it needs to be you burn up fast

I know your not at that level but, if you are going to commit to train like you do, there is probably no room left in your life except for eating and sleeping....

Just be careful.... It catches up with you

Along with taking what works for you from these suggestions, you might also hop on over to thecothesmakethegirl.com and browse around for Melissa Joulwan's take on this situation.  She eats Whole30/Whole30AIP/Paleo and she is a roller derby person (or was for several years).  She might have some blog posts about training and eating.  I don't know, really, I usually look just for recipe posts over there.  But if I were into roller derby and doing a Whole30 I'd definitely consider her a go-to resource.

I love her recipes!! I only just realised she helped set up the Dallas league. Thanks for that info. I'd ask her but she doesn't skate anymore. I think she gave up years ago. Still, it would be worth finding out! I was talking to a girl who did Whole30 yesterday. She would train late and said that she had 2 big meals postWO. I wouldn't see that being a problem for me as i've done LeanGains in the past. :)

I'm confused! You mentioned preWO counting as breakfast...but you're training at night?

Could you eat breakfast, lunch, something mini preWO if it doesn't upset you during training, then a big meal post training? If you get it in straight away you'll still have a few hours before you go to bed...

Sorry, i should have said i could have my preWO as my first meal. Its honestly all I could eat before or during training, and even then I'm risking it. My "breakfast" would in fact be the meal after my postWO. But there's the problem - i'd have to fit 4 meals into 4 hours if i was to eat all of them. It doesn't make sense to do that, but i know i need to refuel!

Charlene^^^^

Wow, roller derby !!! Brings back memories of when I was a kid and me and my dad would watch the NY bombers. Lol

All I can say is that I know and have trained with some top level athletes, the latest being Daniel Camargo ( Team USA oly weightlifting coach and winner of several world and national titles/records). He was to compete on the US oly team three times only to have to drop out due to injury, sickness and finally retired early to focus on coaching.... Never made it to the Olympics or the podium where he was a favorite to medal.

Why??? Overtraining.... He had access to the best coaches and trainers in the world and still he got crushed

I say this as on Saturday I just completed an eight hour oly lift seminar ( we had the bar in our hands for a good four hours) and hit PRs on the snatch and the Cand J....... And It left me completely drained and almost comatose.... Mainly because I probably needed to eat 300% more than normal to stay fueled, I ate about 50% more, but still nowhere near where I needed. I can't move today!!!!!

I could not imagine training like that 5-6 days a week, but that is what these guys do at that level..... If your nutrition, rest,recovery, is not where it needs to be you burn up fast

I know your not at that level but, if you are going to commit to train like you do, there is probably no room left in your life except for eating and sleeping....

Just be careful.... It catches up with you

Ooh back when Derby was like wrestling!! :P I know all about overtraining, which is why I usually take a few days break every time I start feeling the exhaustion. See I can do the hybrid of 6 days no problem, as long as I'm alternating weights and cardio days. And the p90x/insanity is done in the morning so i can double up my protein in the meals after that. Its just training at night that complicates things!

Archived