August Whole 30 log

pam21e

This is my second Whole 30, my first Whole 30 started the third week in May, and throughout June I ate compliant. I have only been non-compliant on two different occassions since that third week of May. I love the way I feel since taking out grains, dairy, sugar, legumes, etc...  

I have lost approx 15 pounds, and probably 6-9 inches. 
Last night, I had my daughter take my before pics and I also took my measurements as well as I weighed.

I won't reweigh til Sept 1. 

I have discovered that I really don't have the cravings that I thought I would, especially sugar. I have continued to go out to eat with my family, they will order a dessert and I am absolutely fine without. 

I decided that the way I feel is much better than the way anything tastes.  

I discovered Kombucha, I love it. I have been reading thru the threads of how to make my own, that will be something I do during this Whole 30. 

I also love Primal Pacs, they are great when I am at work and do not have time to eat. 

Anyone wanting to post along with me, please join in!!

~pam

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1 completed and compliant!! The one thing I had planned to do was work out but I went to my knitting group instead, I haven't seen them all summer, and I wanted to spend the time with them. Tomorrow is a work out day!!

Pam...I found you! The other thread I started posting on yesterday doesn't have much response/activity....so I'm glad I found you! Wooo hoo.

Yesterday went well...I was happy to hit the "I did it" link from the Day 1 newsletter. I had a compliant meal 1, 2 and 3....meal 3 I did have a piece of fruit (a plum cut up and added to my salad)...AND, as you'll recall from the June Whole30 group, I got in trouble craving-wise with eating too much Trader Joe's Just Mango dried mango and Trader Joe's unsalted pistachios. Both compliant, but limited or occasional. During June I ate them both a LOT! This time around, I was going to stay away from both...BUT I still had some so I ate both yesterday....still better than going off-plan and having to click the "start over" link (:

I did not work out yesterday...but plan to later today. I wrote down three goals for the 2nd Whole 30:

-NO snacking after dinner....meal 3 is final meal of the day (food)

-exercise 30 minutes 5 days a week (movement/activity)

-read bible passage or Joel Osteen DVD or podcast daily (inspiration)

I lost 9 lbs and 12 inches in that first Whole 30 I did in June, but as you know from the reintro thread, I only got halfway thru reintroduction and then I spent nearly all of July off-roading....so allergies returned, cravings returned, tiredness returned....and I gained back 5.1/2 of the 9 lbs.

I HAVE learned lessons, however, so I am determined to have another clean, compliant Whole 30 for August...and then will be super careful with reintroduction and take it slow...so as not to derail and off-road so much. I really love the way I felt June 30/July 1 ....good, even energy, NO cravings, good sleep, no allergies, no tummy aches or gas or bloating...hair, skin and nails super healthy.

This time I plan to stay eating this way most of the time and only occasionally make the conscious choice if I decide to have something "less" healthy....obviously working on the relationship with food...and the scale....and body image.....I weighed June 1 at 166, July 1 at 157 and for this Whole 30, Aug 1 at 162.5  Weight loss is not my primary goal....I will get to 140 someday...but more importantly are my changing my relationship with food, scale, weighing daily, counting cals, etc.  I love the freedom I felt in June....eating and learning to listen to my body's signals.....and I had only worked out 3 or 4 times, so was shocked that I had lost 9 lbs....so getting rid of the sugar and switching to fat burning was so awesome! Now, in July, I loaded myself up with sugar and junk again....pizza, Thai food, McDonald's crispy chicken wrap, sweet potato fries (from restaurant, so fried), candy bars. DONE. Not doing that again.

Day 1

M1

Protein - HB eggs

Veg - cucumber, cherry tomatoes

Fat-avocado, coconut milk

Other - coffee

M2

Protein - burger patty

Veg - cherry tomatoes, zucchini

Fat-avocado, coconut milk

Other - iced coffee, GT Enlightened Gingerade kombucha

M3

Protein - shrimp

Veg-lettuce, cucumber, tomato

Fat-avocado, EVOO

Other - balsamic vinegar, plum, TJ Just Mango dried mango, pistachios, water

Workout - none

Reflection- good first day, even with no workout and with the dried fruit and nuts! Did not snack after dinner! Yay!

Day 2

M1

Protein - eggs, salt, ppr

Veg - onions, chives, zucchini, broccolini, Brussels sprouts, bell pprs

Fat-ghee, coconut milk

Other - coffee, GT Enlightened Gingerade kombucha

Plans for M2 and M3:

M2

Protein - burger patty

Veg - salad

Fat- coconut milk

Other - balsamic vinegar

M3

Protein - chicken

Veg-assorted, lime juic

Fat-coconut milk

Other - Thai curry

Kelly

Another compliant day done!! My husband and daughter had pizza tonight, but I wasn't even tempted. Tomorrow however will be harder. I am going to my grandsons birthday party, Pizza, ice cream and cake. Oh my....

I really think I will be fine, after all this is almost day 70 of eating compliant.  Due to an ankle injury, I had to start on a steroid to help with the inflammation, which has caused my stomach to feel queasy, but otherwise I am still feeling good. Clothes are still fitting loose.

@ Kelly, how was day 2 for you?

Pam...you did great today! I just now finished my compliant Thai chkn curry...about to click my newsletter link. Yay. Will have kombucha later tonight but no more eating (: no work out yet. No mango or nuts. No fruit today at all. Got a call for a potential client so have to go do some research before she cals me back in 40 minutes (:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Whole30 LOG

Day 3

M1

Protein-eggs, salt, ppr

Veggie-onions, chives, zucchini, broccolini, Brussels sprouts, bell pprs

Fat-ghee, avocado

Other-enlightened gingerade kombucha

M2

Protein-burger patty, chicken

Veggie-assorted, lime juice

Fat-Olive oil, coconut milk, pistachios

Other-Thai curry and seasoning, fish sauce, trilogy kombucha

M3

Protein-chicken

Veggie-assorted, lime juice

Fat-coconut milk, olive oil

Other-Thai curry, fish sauce, Thai spices, water, primal pac, LARABAR

Workout-30 min elliptical

Reflection-still have dinner at sister in laws but have my curry...and while the snack on chips and salsa....I have a primal pac snack pack. Yup, had pistachios and a cherry pie larabar....also worked out. Yay.

Had a great time at my grandson's birthday party.  I brought compliant food for me to eat while everyone else had pizza, cake and ice cream. I also spent quite a bit of time on my grandsons new trampoline. Lots of fun!!!

I also took a primal pac to snack on, which served me well, cause I did get a little hungry late in the afternoon.

Tomorrow, I have to work, so I will be packing my lunch. 

~pam

Great job Pam. Did well at sister in laws. They had pasta, Caesar, bread and butter, fruit...and snacks before dinner. I had my primal pac..and kombucha....then Thai curry for dinner...did have some blueberries and strawberries. Water. Done

I can't believe it is already day 4 of this Whole 30!!!! I signed up for the Whole 30 dailys again, and am glad I did. I enjoy reading thru the email as well as the positive nature of the writings. At the end of the day I get to click the link showing another compliant day.

This morning I am having scrambled eggs, compliant bacon and fresh fruit.  Afternoon, I will have tuna and an avocado with salad. Dinner will be fish and grilled veggies.

This next weekend is another busy weekend. We will be moving our youngest daughter back to school for her sophmore year at college, she is sharing an apt with her dorm roommate from last year. My husband has a triathlon and my great nephew has a 2 year old birthday party. Thankfully everything is happening in the same city!!!! 

@ Kelly..... we are doing great!!! 4 days in.

~pam

pam, brewing your own kombucha is really easy, i started last fall and have been doing it continuously since. good luck. i just started my second whole 30 yesterday. i had done one back in march then had computer issues that kept me from logging for the last week and i ended up not coming back to the forum until i decided to do another whole 30 (which i've been putting off for about 3 months).

pam, brewing your own kombucha is really easy, i started last fall and have been doing it continuously since. good luck. i just started my second whole 30 yesterday. i had done one back in march then had computer issues that kept me from logging for the last week and i ended up not coming back to the forum until i decided to do another whole 30 (which i've been putting off for about 3 months).

@simonec....Thanks. I love have been reading up on making my own Kombucha. Plan on starting it the next time I have a couple days off together. 

You are welcome to post on this log during the August Whole 30, the more the merrier!!.

Good morning! As stated, yesterday was a weird food choice day..still compliant, but weird combinations of things.

Today I am back to normal with my eggs, ghee, veggies, kombucha and coffee. I need to cook up a bunch of stuff tonight, since I did not do it over the weekend. So much easier. Even with my omelettes...I cut up various veggies and put in containers.....and of course frozen veggies are SO easy to stir fry with curry or zap and eat.

Kelly

weeeeelll hello, Started my second Whole30 on the 1st and am doing really well.  I've been paleo for a little over a year but it's wild how I've found myself eating dairy and sugar, though coconut sugar, more often than not.  This is part of the reason I decided to do another Whole30.  Thought I'd jump on here and see what others are saying!  Have a great day!

OH! I forgot to mention...I'm finding it hard to get my vitamins in (woke up two nights ago with wicked leg cramps in my left leg and then also had one in the morning, IN THE OTHER LEG!!! HA!)...I'm an accountant and currently am in the middle of my month end which basically translates to 'this-is-what-I-could-throw-together-from-the-cafeteria" compliancy which also means not a lot of varieties of vegetables since the options are doused in some sort of butter or icky vegetable oil...sooooooooo I'm having to take my 'Damage Control' vitamins from Mark Sisson...keeping my fingers crossed they help until I can get a couple of hours to do a proper cook up tomorrow or the next day.

WelcomegAdina! Ugh...hate those leg cramps. I had those here and there (actually, mine were more in the ankle/foot area) during my first Whole30 in July....and I had to have more potassium...I ate a ton of brocolli and also made sure I drank enough water.

OK, I had a funky lunch today...just didn't feel like cooking anything....so:

protein: primal pacs beef jerky

veg: leftover green beans

fat: pistachios!

I'll have a better dinner, I promise.

Hi gAdina...... I had those leg cramps as well, in my left leg more than the right. I ate bananas to help with that.

Meal one I had eggs and bacon and cantalope

Meal two. tuna, and avocado, oh and Kombucha

Meal three. baked salmon, salad, cucumbers and tomatoes

ps... I found a recipe for Kombucha that I plan to start...yay!!!

@ Kelly... yes a better dinner.

Yesterday at work, some of the gals I work with were asking what I have been doing so I explained about Whole 30 and by the time I was done, they had all printed off the material from the Whole 30 site.  ;)

Yesterday's eating was horrible...still compliant, but weird.  For dinner, we went out to the restaurant I successfully ate at during my June Whole 30.  I ate a plain, flat iron steak grilled with no seasoning, oil, marinade, etc. and then steamed veggies and soda water. I forgot to ask for an avocado for my healthy fat...so when I got home, I had some pistachios (I have been eating too many nuts). Realized this a.m. that it is PMS time, so that may explain the extra hunger surge. ALMOST went off plan last night....after the nuts I looked at the package of Trader Joe's multigrain pita chips (off plan)....and considered going off plan...but did not want to start over with Day 1....so I had a small piece of fruit instead. This a.m. I had to go to set up for a training session....ate a complian breakfast but no coffee wtih coconut milk...was going to rough it...then when I got to the presentation/training, one of the supervisor offered that we run for coffee really quick...so we went thru a drive thru coffee place and came back for the training. I have coconut milk at my office, but obviously not with me or at this training...so when I ordered black coffe....I "was" consdiering putting half and half in it OR ordering a nonfat latte (NF milk, of course)...both off plan since they have dairy....BUT...I'm so proud of myself. I suck it up and just drank black coffee YUCK.....I did not add anything. I survivied. I'm now back at my office and truly enjoying a GT enlightened gingerade kombucha! Yay.

Lunch...still weird.....

Protein - 2 HB eggs

Veg - sweet potato

Fat - pistachios

Mango kombucha

Hope I can get out of this weird food choice...nothing sounds good anymore..no cravings..which is good, but nothing sounds good. Eating seems like a chore...which is REALLY bizzarre.

Kelly I feel the same way. I don't have cravings, but I can't say anything sounds good. I need to get out of this rut. My stomach the past 2 days has had the same feeling as before I started Whole 30. I guess I have to attribute it to the extra cup of coffee I have been having. Ick.. I hate feeling this way.

~pam

I've been struggling and tempted many times to go off plan...but I did buy TJ pistachios and TJ mango....really trying to stay away from both, but I am eating those two items vs. going OFF plan....

Last night after work I had to pick up Rx for dog....then Trader Joe's...then realized I left my iPad at work and had to go retrieve it. So tired...emothionally drained....senior dog not doing well and hubby and I have to decide re doggie heaven and it's breaking our hearts, but we cannot avoid it...we do not want our baby to suffer.  So, when I finally got home I wanted to just say whatever...from the stress, from PMS, etc.but instead....I cooked up Whole 30 Thai curry chicken/shrimp/veggies and ate a big serving, which satisfied me

Archived