Disney World...Is it possible to eat clean?

lbosmer

We are taking our tot to Disney in a few months. I am not going to be stupid and try and be on a Whole30 while on our trip but I was curious to know if there were any of you out there who were able to eat "clean" while there. 

We will probably do breakfast in our room since we will have a full kitchen, but lunch and dinner are what I am worried about. I am not planning on picnicking in the park either, I think that would stress me out too much. We will be at Magic Kingdom 2 days, Epcot 1 day and Animal Kingdom 1 day. I think Epcot is going to be the easiest.

Thoughts, experiences, suggestions would all be appreciated! Thanks in advance

I am going next week.... you can eat clean on the moon if you want, just takes some effort.    I was also there in January and as I now remember I never thought to bother with worrying what I was eating.

That's my plate of apple cobbler, cookies, brownies, etc.....    

379240_10151170450476160_1749030299_n.jp

I have heard (but have not experienced personally) that Disney, particularly on their dining plans, is VERY good about food restrictions. In particular, I've heard from a couple of friends that eating gluten free is easy peasy and that they really roll out the red carpet for your allergies and restrictions.

I haven't eaten Paleo at a Disney park, but I have ordered gluten-free items before.  Usually the kitchen staff is amazingly accommodating and the food is really good.  If you go to one of the regular park vendors, usually the head cook comes over to talk to you about what your needs are and then special makes your plate.  If you're in one of the dine-in restaurants, the head chef came out to personally take my order last time.  She also whipped up a special gluten-free dessert since my bf and I were celebrating my birthday.  I'd say try it and see what happens.  The no dairy/gluten/grains/soy should be fairly easy...sugar might be an issue though.  Make sure to bring clean snacks or paleo packs so that you don't find yourself in a situation where you're starving or miserable from eating a food that really bothers your body (gluten is my downfall...it always seems like a good idea at the time and I pay for it later).

Also remember just to have fun!  Even if the meals aren't as clean as you'd normally eat, I'd say just enjoy the trip with your family!  There's always time for a W30 once you return in order to reset your body.  :)

We went to Disney Land 2 years ago with a food allergy kid.  We hit Trader Joe's for breakfast, lunch and snack foods and then did our best eating out for dinner.  We ate breakfast in our room and packed a lunch to take with us.  It saved money and made me feel better knowing that most of our day was healthy.  It also limited the stress that comes with eating out when on a restricted diet to one meal a day.  Good luck!

Thanks for all the info! I have heard that they are very accommodating. I don't have a true food allergy but have a bad intolerance to mainly gluten. If I can stay away from that I think I will be good. Snacks are definitely a good idea...and will also be a $$ saver.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

If you'd like to eat more in your hotel, there's a grocery store that will deliver groceries to your hotel. Also, if you're on Pinterest, try searching for "eating healthy at Disney." There are options out there if you want to avoid the endless options of junk there! And as others have mentioned, the people at Disney are great about making accommodations for their guests. They really want you to think it's the happiest place on Earth!

I know this is way after the OP went to Disney World, but I just returned from 5 days in DW last week.  It was impossible to stay Whole30 compliant!  I stayed inside the park at All Star Music (value resort) which is basically dorms with a cafeteria you walk to for meals.  Suffice it to say the food was geared toward the teenagers there for the cheer competition we were attending.  I also had no transportation and a 13 year old travel companion who wanted nothing to do with waiting in restaurants inside the park for meals.

So, each morning I had a coffee and a banana and maybe a bar I brought with me (Lara).  

I ate a turkey leg around lunch time which carried me through the day.  My guess is those aren't Whole30 but it was close enough for me, and a better option than a burger or piece of meat which is likely cooked non-compliant anyway.

Dinner was typically a few bites of my son's food.

It just wasn't worth the long lines or making reservations at restaurants for a meal while I was there.  Luckily, I was technically post-Whole30 anyway.

I was there for a competition, and for fun, so I am glad I didn't spend a lot of time making sure I ate only Whole30 food for 5 days. Still, I tried to eat as cleanly as possible under the circumstances.

Had we stayed at a hotel or resort with a restaurant it could have been different.  When we were at ESPN Sports, the wait for their restaurant was 2 hours!  

On my last Disney trip my daughter and I did the deluxe dining plan, so we ate many of their high end restaurants. You can get very healthy options at them. I had some of the best fish I my life. Yes iff ou make a reservation and put your restrictions on it the chef will come out and talk to you to be sure that you get a meal that fits your needs. Disney is very use to gluten free, so you can get gluten free rolls anywhere. Even at the buffets someone will come out and walk you through so you make the right decisions. The grain free and dairy free is a little harder.

Archived