Whole30 or 100 Take 2!

JamieM

Hello Everyone,

I just finished my first Whole 30 (which actually turned into a Whole 100) on June 27th. I felt fantastic on the Whole 30 plan and lost about 45 pounds. I have lots of weight to lose, so while this may seem like a lot, I have plenty more to lose....I took about 30 days off and tried to be compliant most of the time which lasted about 2 weeks followed by about 2 weeks of a free for all! Old habits die hard I suppose. I definitely felt very bloated and tired the last two weeks of my free for all and the weight was coming back on very quickly. So I have decided to return to what will hopefully be another Whole 100 which should put me at a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving. My partner from my first Whole 100 is going to join me as well and we will log about our experiences here. We both started this past Tuesday, I believe, so we are currently on Day 4. I can already tell that I have lost some "bloatedness" and have more energy. If anyone wants to try a Whole 100 with us that will get you to the holidays, feel free to join us here! We hope to hear from you soon and I hope everyone is enjoying their Whole 30 journeys! My current favorite Whole 30 side dish is diced avocado, tomato and purple onion with cilantro, fresh squeezed lime juice, salt and pepper! I have been craving this all this week! Plenty of yummy fat and lots of flavor! I have paired this salad with steak and chicken this week. Currently salivating just writing about it!

Cheers,

JamieM

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JamieM & Roz & laurenislost

I finished up a Whole 100 on July 4th with the support of some fabulous people on this forum. Then I spent 2 weeks doing re-introductions before a big trip to Paris.  I did pretty good in Paris until I started eating sweets. I definitely now know that the sugar/wheat/fat combo (also known as pastry, cake, cookie) is my trigger. By the time I got home from my trip I did not feel so great - so the next day I started another Whole 100.  This is Day 4 for me. So far it's been great. My bloating is reduced, as are my allergy symptoms and stiffness. However, hot flashes are in full force. This was not something I experienced the last time - so I will be tinkering with what I eat/drink to see if I can make them go away.  I am also planning on starting the IBS protocol next week - with for without low FODMAPs.

I am still madly in love with power greens, ground meat, sweet potato, and eggs for breakfast.  I make a supply of power greens, ground meat, and sweet potato every 3 days and then add eggs in the morning.  It makes me very happy to consume 1 container of power greens ever 3 days!!  I struggle with dinner - my dh does not get home till 8pm - so we eat late.  And usually I am not hungry.

I am happy to be logging again with JamieM.  Join us laurenislost and Roz!!! We can definitely do it with each other's support.

Hello Everyone,

Roz, thank you for the well wishes and I hope you have a wonderful journey! Lauren please feel free to join us! I found once I got past 60 days I was pretty much on auto pilot and going from 90 to 100 required no thought. I imagine this time will be easier because this won't be a first for me. I didn't decide to do a Whole 100 from the get go last time. I evolved to the decision as I reached each 30 day marker. I felt so good after 30 days that I decided to keep going (I also felt like I really wanted to dive into a table filled with ice cream and sweets so I knew I NEEDED to keep going) then after 60 I decided to do 40 more to make it an even 100. I don't regret it all and have found my way back to it fairly quickly after going off so something must be working. Good luck on your journey though whatever you decide. Gboyum welcome to the club! Although I had heard the word burpee before, I couldn't remember exactly what it was so I had to google it....100 days of burpee looks like it would get anyone into shape! Best of luck to you as you complete your challenges! Keep us posted! Almcc, welcome back! I am a big fan of the ground beef hash too! What do you put in your power greens concoction?

Cheers,

JamieM

Hi All,

Today was sort of a challenge. I need to prepare better. I had my first farmers market (I'm selling jewelry). I got up early and had a big compliant breakfast. I took a Lara bar just in case. It wasn't enough. Should have taken chicken and carrots too. Usually I can wait 4-5 hours. I was starving before it ended. But it's all good - cause now I know.

Next weekend I have a trip away. Will have to bring all my food. Planning!!

Hope everyone is doing well. Happy eating!

Hello Everyone,

Yay! Roz!  Welcome to the club! I can tell you I already feel so much better after just having restarted less than a week ago. It is amazing how good you feel on this program. I understand about feeling the need to eat A LOT this week Almcc, it does feel like I am hungry ALL the time. So today I SUCCESSFULLY MADE MAYONNAISE!!!! It was so freaking delicious too! I bought myself an immersion blender yesterday and was itching to try to make it, but the only thing I had was extra virgin olive oil which I read was not recommended but I really wanted to see if I could make it. Well.....it didn't come out with the olive oil and I was very discouraged because I thought the only reason you were not supposed to use it was because it didn't taste very good which meant my technique was faulty. So today my husband went to the store and bought me some grapeseed oil (he couldn't find avocado) and it worked beautifully and quickly! Seriously once the ingredients were in the mason jar, it took less than a minute to have beautiful, creamy, tasty mayonnaise! Now I have read that grapeseed oil is not banned but not ideal so I will definitely look for some avocado or macadamia oil but at least I know the process works. I pulled some out for dinner and mixed it with one Tessemae's dressing/marinades and used as a dip for a  grilled turkey burger. I am in LOVE! I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Cheers,

Jamie 

Woohoo to the successful mayo! I made it a few times, but then lost my mayo mojo, plus i realised i wasn't really using it that much & kept throwing bits away :-\ I always used the extra light olive oil, that worked well if you can't find avocado, or I've seen recipes which use bacon fat!

Hi All,

Thanks! I've bought myself the Primal Blueprint 90-day journal, so i guess I'll at least be doing a Whole90 & it'd be kinda rude not to add another 10 days onto that... Best get started with a nice early night!

I didn't know there was a 90 day journal.  I have to go look at that.  Do you have the the book as well.  I have not bought it.

Hope today is going well.  :)

I SUCCESSFULLY MADE MAYONNAISE!!!! 

Woohoo! :D   I was so proud when I made it the first time. It's yum.  I also make it with extra light olive oil!!

The last few days have been a bit rocky.  After I got back form the farmer's market I was exhausted and slept for hours.  Yesterday I was exhausted and I felt pooky :wacko: and slept for more hours.  Maybe it is detox.  I hope so because I need to be up and doing things - not sleeping.

This is my plan for food:

1: sweet potato, ground beef, spinach, eggs, tea/cm

2: chicken, carrots, tomatos, olives, avo

3: Possibly a trip to Longhorn - steak and salad

I am planning on starting the IBS protocol tomorrow.  Have to figure out veggies.

Happy eating everyone!

I have all Mark Sisson's books - tbh I've a lot of Paleo books in general ;) The journal seems kinda expensive, but there's loads of detail in there. Plus i can now just aim to fill it..! :D

So far so good today. Woke up around 1am feeling incredibly sick for over an hour (i wasn't, but i did NOT feel good!). I ate several gluten containing items yesterday & Saturday, so i think that was it. I'm taking it as a plus, cos it'll stopme being tempted for a good while!! Breakfast was homemade sausage, spaghetti squash, fried egg & gingered carrots. Felt a bit ropey before lunch, but ate a big sweet potato, a chicken thigh & a little crispy bacon & feel better. Washing it down with a mug of 3 ginger tea & considering a nap (if the kids'll let me!). Dinner will be lamb stew with prunes & some cauliflower rice.

Roz - hope you feel better soon!  The blackberries sound wonderful!!!

I stuck to my plan - except made chicken at home with SP and green beans for dinner. Survived Sam's club on an empty stomach AND I successfully ignore the rolls, mashed pot, and pudding the kids bought to go with dinner. Woohoo. Good end to week 1!! Only 13+ to go. Tomorrow I start the IBS protocol.  Will seriously miss my cup of decaf.  May have to go have a cup now.

Happy eating!!

Feeling loads better today thanks :) The washing-machine stomach has gone, the earache has gone, though I'm still a wee bit congested. Slept really well, though i was up a few times & i may try & sneak in an afternoon nap ;) So all's well!

I took some grim "before" photos yesterday & thought i'd emailed them to myself - but i'd deleted them instead *luddite* So i took more today & i swear my jumbo-tum was looking less massive. No wonder i was feeling rubbish :)

Feeling loads better today thanks :) The washing-machine stomach has gone, the earache has gone, though I'm still a wee bit congested. Slept really well, though i was up a few times & i may try & sneak in an afternoon nap ;) So all's well!

Glad you are feeling better. And you got a nap in.

I had an ok day - first IBS protocol day. Trying to do low FODMAP but had some avocado at lunch and dinner.  Now there is none in the house. No coffee and nuts is a big bummer.  I need to work on my digestive issues so I will give it a go. Going to get to be early today.

Happy eating everyone!

Just checking in! Sounds like everyone is doing good so far. 

I'm on day 7 and feeling tired and cranky! Coffee is still my vice. I usually have about three cups in the morning, but no coffee after noon. I would like to ease up on that but maybe that is a goal for later on down the road. 

We (Myself, my husband, and two kids) live on a farm. We raise pastured meats and grow a large produce garden. We sell our products at area markets or direct sell to the consumer. So I am lucky enough to have access to quality meat and produce. One of the reasons I wanted to start a whole 100 right now is because we should have plenty of produce from now through November. 

My issues with unhealthy eating tend to revolve around stress and time. We are very busy in the summer, so often times we don't get something cooked for dinner we end up going out for hamburgers. In our very rural area there are not a lot of healthy restaurant choices, mostly it is burgers and deep fried food. So planning ahead is a big help for us. If we can plan ahead and cook large meals with leftovers for lunch we can better manage our time. When we don't plan ahead is when we start to fall behind with our meals and start reaching for the junk food. I also work outside of the home, right now full time, but part time starting in September. I am looking forward to having fewer responsibilities; stress levels and lack of sleep have been fueling my coffee habit and very detrimental to my overall health. 

One of the issues I have when starting this regimen seems to be not eating enough! I can identify with almcc's earlier comment about being hungary at the end of the day. I have to remind myself that veggies are very low calorie, and need to eat more to compensate. And be sure to include plenty of healthy fats, but I have never been one to shy away from fat! On day three I just had raspberries and almonds for lunch and was so hungary when I got home that I ate a bunch of dates before dinner. 

So my meals have followed this pattern so far:

Breakfast is three eggs fried in lard, sauteed summer squash (we have so much summer squash), perhaps some sliced tomatoes, and raspberries from the garden. 

Lunch is maybe some leftovers. I made a huge batch of kraut knuckle (basically fried pork and cabbage), and have been eating that the last few days with leftover steamed beets. Today I made a salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, peppers, cilantro, and avocado. But I forgot a protein so I will be eating almonds with that as well. 

Dinner is veggies from the garden with whatever meat my husband is making. 

Tonight we will be eating out. So in the spirit of planning ahead I have looked at the menu online. Perhaps a steak and steamed veggies. 

Dinner will be lamb stew with prunes & some cauliflower rice.

This sounds amazing. Do you have a recipe? We will probably be getting a half lamb from the neighbors soon. 

Hello All,

Sorry it has been a couple of days. The beginning of my week is always busy! It sounds like everyone is hanging there. I am on Day 9 and it has been much easier for me this time around to slip into the Whole30 routine. I have thoroughly enjoyed the mayo I made and made myself a fantastic chicken salad with it the other night. I have even noticed that I am not craving fruit that much this time around so I haven't been eating as much of it which is great. Gboyum, I envy you having access to all of that fantastic organic food all the time and find it hilarious that you still find yourself at a fast food restaurant! That just goes to show that even if you live on a farm, you still have to work hard at making sure you are eating healthy! It also supports that old saying, the carpenter's house is always broke, plumber's toilets never work and now the farmer's table is never full! Ha ha! Busy is busy, even if you are busy harvesting food. I hope things calm down for you a bit when you get to go part time. Winter will be here before we know it. I will admit that my husband made a roast yesterday with carrots and it was good but I definitely really wanted some mashed potatoes to go with it. I could almost taste them on the plate! That is what Thanksgiving will bring me at the end of this Whole100. I hope your IBS protocol is going better Almcc. Roz, I am glad you are feeling better and I concur that gluten is bad habit that I really need to do away with forever. I wonder why it tastes so good going down! Happy Wednesday Folks!

Cheers,

JamieM

Hurray for Wednesday! :)

Getting the awake-but-not thing that i remember from my 1st Whole30 - woke up at half 6 this morning cos my son was crying (he'd lost one of his toys!) & though i felt quite awake, i couldn't resist rolling back into bed for another half hour! Before i went Paleo i would often happily get up at 4am to go for a run, now i can sleep for England ;)

Breakfast today was 3 homemade sausage patties, spaghetti squash & a fried egg, with sauerkraut. Lunch was a sweet potato, a roasted chicken thigh & some fennel & raisins (kind of a fridge clearout). Took the kids out for a ride on a steam train in the afternoon, we were all tired & hungry when we got home, so they had their tea & i had a leftover chicken breast with apricot pesto, which made me hungrier (go figure!) so i had a handful of macadamias. Dinner was pork belly carnitas, roasted kohlrabi & carrots, & kohlrabi greens, with some fermented salsa. The carnitas were amazing! I think i got the recipe from meatified.com, but i may be wrong.

Hope everyone else is having a tasty day! :D

Hi all. I worked out this morning - which kicked my butt. I ended up taking a long nap.

The ibs protocol is ok except for nuts. I ended up not following it today. I had nuts. No coffee or avo. I'll start again tomorrow. Today's menus were

1: sausage, pepper, sweet pot, kale, eggs

2: chicken, carrots, olives, watermelon

3: chicken, salad, fruit. We were at a party and I'm happy I found something to eat. Then I came home and had banana and almond butter. Totally feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't have cake. Didn't want/crave cake - just whiney.

Hope tomorrow is great for everyone.

Hi all

Sort of a good day. I had no nuts. And wasn't so hungry for dinner - didn't follow the template. But I kicked butt in the gym today. Pull ups and the sled. :)

This is what I ate:

1: eggs, sausage, sweet potato, peppers, kale

2: ground meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, guac

3: chicken, watermelon

Happy eating!

Hi All,

Program is going well and I am getting downright gourmet in the kitchen, well at least gourmet for me. On Wednesday I made a delicious chicken, pineapple, broccoli, cashew stir fry with coconut oil and coconut aminos. It was delicious. Then last night I was inspired by a picture of a stuffed acorn squash that looked delicious but all I had was spaghetti squash so I steamed the spaghetti squash and stuffed it with a ground beef based hash and it was so tasty and looked so fancy. Now my husband doesn't like spaghetti squash along with many other veggies but I made him one anyway thinking he would at least get some benefit from the squash and he ate the hash out of the squash so I got to take his squash and use it for leftovers this morning! Yummy! It was definitely better than restaurant quality although the more food I make myself the less appealing restaurant food is unless you can find a good organic, local restaurant which is hard to come by. It's Friday, so the weekend is here! Yay! I hope everyone has a good weekend and happy eating. Good on everyone for sticking to the plan. Day 11 here!

Cheers,

JamieM

Archived