Day 2: 5 year old w/ massive carb flu?

bbytink

Hi everyone!

I have a 7 year and 5 year old daughter and yesterday we completed Day 1 :)

I knew there would be push back, whining, and sugar cravings and I'm fine with the whole "tough love" thing.  My husband and I both woke up feeling pretty gross with headaches, but we expected that ....

Then oth our girls woke up with horrible headaches, body aches, and no energy - they literally got out of bed and went straight to the floor of the living room.  My 7 year old was starving and wolfed down a small handful of bluberries, 2 eggs fried in coconut oil and a big glass of ice water.  She felt better within 5 min. and is out hiking with her Dad now.

My 5 year old has not moved from the couch - she ate 2 blueberries and a bite of scrambled eggs before throwing up. She is pale, shaky and has thrown up 3 times (basically just water at this point).

I just feel so bad for my baby girl!  I'm not going to give in and let her have anymore junk (thank God we don't even have it in the house, because I would be tempted at this point).

Has anyone else with kids experienced this strong of a reaction???  Any tips on what to do? :rolleyes:

I remember having to carry my little girl home during our errands because she kept collapsing on the ground like it was the end of the world.  She's always had a loud voice, but the tantrums she threw that first week were something else.  I made sure to keep my life commitment free so I could get through things gracefully.

Could your daughter be allergic to eggs or have a virus of some sort.  Throwing up seems rather intense though I really don't know much more than my own experiences.  

In our house, sweet potatoes cooked with coconut oil and salt became one of the mainstays.  Another thing our kids liked was butternut squash cooked with coconut oil and pineapple (recipes from Practical Paleo) and candied carrots (roasted carrots with chopped up dates).  It also helped having the kids choose recipes from the book because then they felt like they had a bit of a choice in things. It meant that we had chicken nuggets for breakfast on occasion, but it helped get them on board. Ultimately, once they got hungry enough, everything tasted good with enough salt.

Good luck to you and your family this week.

• 3 weeks later...

At least two of the things on the usual stomach-illness foods usually recommended by doctors are allowable under W30 - bananas and applesauce. Sub in sweet potatoes for the other two, and you might be able to stave it off. Coconut water is supposed to be a great rehydration drink, or you could do water with sea salt and fruit juice.

my 4 year old puked on day 2 as well. I've talked to a few people in real life who've done this with young kids and theirs have also puked. We made it a whole18 for my 2 and 4 year old, but when my husband quit on day 14 I knew their reintroduction of grains would come sooner than I wanted! So far, we've reintroduced non-gluten grains and I can see such a huge difference those 18 days have played. I would love to make it a whole 30 with them, maybe next summer! ;) Good luck!! I'm still going strong on day 23!

oh and PS I second the applesauce and bananas idea! I also made some paleo popsicles for my girls and let them have them with breakfast--1 can coconut milk, 1 banana, 3TBSP cocoa powder, 1/2C water and a pinch of salt all blended together. I didn't eat them b/c I figured they weren't really whole30 approved (popsicles!) but all the ingredients are compliant and it got some good fats and vitamins from the cocoa powder in them. I would serve them post protein (eggs, sausage, etc etc) and my kiddos were in heaven! ;) 

I have an 11, 3 & 2 year old and we are on day 18!  I am so glad we are taking them on our Whole 30 with us!  My 2 year old got sick and threw up one morning too.  Eggs and blueberries everywhere!  YUCK!  But an hour later he was begging for more food, I started with water and applesauce - and he was fine.  I didn't ever notice any lethargy with mine.  

One suggestion I have for you - don't let them cheat!!  On Sunday I went to a picnic with my family, brought big salads for myself and my husband but let the boys have Chik-fil-a with the crowd.  Then the next day we were running errands and while I waited till we got home I let them have hot dogs at Costco.  Those two meals = tummy trouble for my guys!  Just two meals!  They had loose stools for a couple days and no puking but upset tummies.  Now I wish I had just made sure we ALL had REAL food for those meals!  

Can't wait to try Megan's Paleo popsicles!!!  I am sure my boys will LOVE them!  Thanks!  :) 

Archived