Lunch help -- drowning in sandwiches

chewymama

I am on day 19, but my husband is NOT on board at all and it's a battle with the kids. He buys bread for sandwiches to take in his lunch, so it's always in the house. The problem is, that is all that my kids want for lunches!

I am at a loss for what else to feed them. I eat a lot of salads for lunch, and they'll eat some, but not everyday. School is also starting soon, and I have no idea what to pack for them. I haven't had any luck finding compliant deli meat around here.

Is there such a thing as quick & easy paleo/whole30? That's usually why I usually end up with salad -- I rarely have time to prepare anything else at lunch time and we never have leftovers!

Help! It isn't fair for me to be eating the healthy stuff and still feeding them junk!

I like to grill (or broil in winter) 2 lbs of seasoned chicken breast or thighs separate from what I make for dinner. I do this prob twice a week. Lunch is like a buffet. Cold chicken strips, cut veggies and homemade ranch dip ( from mayo)...last week I tired cauliflour "hummus" for a dip too. Ive also made a chicken and red cabbage salad with grapes, celery and nuts sauced with homemade mayo plus seasoning and this lasts a few days too.

Sarah fragoso's book "every day paleo: famil cookbook" has lists ideas for school lunches too. She is a mom of three and has lots of tips for paleo and kids. Also, compliant hotdogs (appleate farms) are super quick or aidells chicken apple sausages. My husband is also not on board and its seems impossible to feed the kids if he is home. Tonight they all ate peanut butter cup ice cream right in front of me! Ugh!

Best of luck to you

For school lunches, could you send chicken drumsticks, or "nuggets" (pieces crumbed in coconut or nut meal), vegie sticks and dip (mayo, guacamole, "pesto", roast capsicum dip etc)

Meatballs or burgers and mini frittata would work too - and all could be made in bulk on the weekend.

Add some fruit, make some sweet potato/beetroot/parsnip "chips"

My kids have gotten a lot better over time and I think it's been a few months (!!) since we've bought bread. I often make them a brunch with eggs, meat and veggies that holds them til about 3pm. Other days we do a 'plate' which they love...I take those partitioned plates and give them things like chicken, avocado, baby carrots, olives, apples, grapes, etc depending on what we have on hand. I think if you look up the bento box lunches you could do something like this.

i'm getting my sons the bento box style lunch containers for back to school...with mine sometimes salad is a go, but their favorite is when i cook up a ton of chicken (pick a day to cook a large quantity to hold you over for several days) and they get home made "ranch" dip, made from homemade mayo and seasonings or guacamole and a variety of veggies for dipping with a few chicken wings or legs (or "nuggets"- they like almond meal and coconut flour mixed with seasonings the best to coat the chicken), also meat balls or mini burgers work great for this. i usually toss in a piece of fruit or some chopped up fruit for them as well. if your kids like boiled eggs or deviled eggs those are a great addition, or snack...my kids love deviled eggs and hard boiled eggs and since they have to bring snack to school, i often give them eggs, fruit with almond or sunflower butter, or celery with sunflower butter for snacks).

Oh my gosh. You guys are amazing! I am feeling better already! I definitely need to start having a couple of "prep" days throughout the week, because right now, I feel like I am either preparing to cook, cooking, or cleaning up my cooking mess/meal ALL DAY LONG lol! 😂 Thank you so much for your tips. I'm already feeling less overwhelmed!

Honestly, I'm doing this myself and not forcing my children to go along with it. They will be getting benefits from healthier family dinners (DH is making them compliant or compliant-if-you-don't-have-X-side/topping), as well as having more veggies and fruits available in the house to snack on (my kids will almost always pick fresh blueberries over a granola bar, for example). I don't expect them to go 100% with me any more than I expect DH to.

If they want sandwiches, let them have sandwiches. Put some veggies on there if they'll eat them. For us just having the veggies in the house more than we did before is making things like that feasible.

I don't expect them to be 100%, but I also refuse to let them live on bread, margarine, and jelly sandwiches. Which happens to be all they want. 😬 Once this junk is gone, it's out of the house. Forever. They can have bread at grandma's or the occasional meal out. I don't feel like it is fair for ME to be eating healthy food and still feeding them crap. I don't look at it as if I'm deriving them; I'm teaching them about health and nourishing them with real food. Very thankful for these ideas!

Chewy, when I made a huge lifestyle change a few years ago (at the age of 28ish), and realised how important diet was to health, I wished that id known about it a lot earlier, and that my mum had also been more persistent when I was little. (She was "healthy" for those times, but I still got a lot of treats!)

Your kids may think you're evil now for taking away their regular bread and sandwiches, but hopefully they'll realise later in life that you were just looking out for their health :)

my kids actually get upset when my mother or someone gives them something and they are eating it then curiously ask whats in it and find out it has corn syrup, sugar, and/or artificial colors and flavors...i really wish i had known more about food and nutrition at their age.

Paleo Mom has a great post up right now about school lunches and snacks.  She has some great ideas.  Perfect timnig, too.

this....http://www.thepaleomom.com/ ?   (i find my self thinking "they go back to school a whole month before we do??? my kids start september 9th, but also noticed that they get out a whole month earlier) nice article and i may use the making a list with the kids idea.

i discovered that my kids love carnitas so i promised i'd find some sort of thermos like container to send warm meat to school in and they'll get stainless steel containers of veggies and guacamole and fruit (i have freezer packs and insulated lunch bags for them).

• 2 weeks later...

Make a 'wrap' with their favorite sandwich meat (maybe cheese) in an iceberg lettuce leaf as a treat. Then send a little container of their favorite condiment to dunk the wrap into. I did it all last week while hubby was doing sandwiches. I made 2 per day, so 2 full iceberg lettuce leaves with 1-2 pieces of lunch meat and (gasp!) cheese with zucchini relish. Roll it up, dunk into a mixture (for me) of homemade mayo and mustard. Delish! 

Or use the meat to wrap around carrot, bell pepper, etc. sticks and tie with a piece of chive (NomNomPaleo's idea).

Archived