Coconut oil for acne treatment

roupl

Has anyone here used organic extra virgin unrefined coconut oil topically specifically for acne treatment? Modifying my diet has dramatically improved my complexion, but I am still struggling with embarrassing "flare ups" that appear cyclical.

After some Google detective work, my birth control (progestin based IUD, Mirena) may be a contributing factor. I'm looking into having it removed and switched back to a low-dose combination pill. I'm conflicted, as I really enjoy not having my period or having to remember to take a pill every day, but this acne really is awful. It's worse than when I was a teenager for crying out loud!

The usual washes and creams with benzoyl peroxide I have relied on for years have suddenly made matters worse so I'm looking for a natural, low maintenance remedy. I currently use baby shampoo twice daily to wash my face or remove makeup, but I'm considering an alternative for that even as it dries out my face too much. 

I've heard good things about coconut oil, but I've also read that it can make acne worse!? So I would really appreciate it if anyone out there could offer some clarity and share their personal experiences...

Also, I did search the board for some answers before posting, but if I missed something, feel free to send me in the right direction. 

Thank you in advance!

The few brief months I had Mirena in (I considered it a mid evil torture devise), I was as oilier than I had ever been and my zits were insane!  It's not just you - progestin-only BCs are the WORST for acne!  Think the week or so before your period - that's when breakouts are typically the worst - is when progesterone is dominant in the body.  That's the state that your skin is continually in when on progestin-only BC...  The estrogen in the combination methods are what help provide clear skin.  

In addition, on Mirena, the dose is low enough that you can still have the hormonal swings, can still ovulate, etc., only many don't bleed because Mirena prevents the uterine lining from thickening.  So you still have some even more insane cyclical acne swings as a result...  Honestly, just switching BC (or going off all together) should have a huge impact on how your skin looks.  It may take a few months to even out after a change, but there may not be much more you can do to gain improvements unless you go off progestin-only.  

For the record, if you're looking for an easy, combination method, Nuva-Ring was the best for me, and I tried them all...  Everyone's different, though.  I've since gone off BC all together.

All that being said, I do use organic coconut oil on my face every day - both to clean and moisturize.  That's all I use on my face, and people have noticed!  Between diet and that, I barely get a zit a month.  Seriously.  In fact, my period is due within 2 days and I don't have a one right now.  Granted, I've had pretty clear skin since I went off BC all together, but it's helped improve my skin quality all around.  

I've read that starting to use coconut oil on your face can initially cause some breakouts as it'll help clear some of the deep dirt - potentially trapping some along the way - but once you get through that initial use, it's clear sailing.  What do you have to lose?  

I've heard good things about coconut oil, but I've also read that it can make acne worse!? So I would really appreciate it if anyone out there could offer some clarity and share their personal experiences...

Not voting no to coco oil on face, just saying careful, here's why (sorry in advance for such a long post!): 

Virgin, cold-pressed, organic coconut oil was the first face thing I tried when I switched to clean skin care.  It broke me out terribly.  I thought, eh, worse before better (and that is often very true), and continued on for about a month.  It just didn't work for me, broke out badly.  That said, if you are using it to eat and have some on hand already, try a little on one area of face, see how you do.  I am a HUGE fan of coconut oil for just about everything but my face, and I use it as body moisturizer (amazing), and I know people who love it as facial cleanser and care.  If it does work for you, that's awesome because it's so affordable compared to the drugstore crap that just tears skin up.     

Thank you two so much for your insight! It's nice to hear two different in-depth experiences. I'll discuss my birth control options next time I'm at Planned Parenthood and give coconut oil a try with fingers crossed. I suppose it's worth a try at the very least and if it doesn't work out on my skin, it sounds as if I have plenty of alternatives I can explore, leaving me with that much more coconut oil for cooking :-P

Because of migraines and sensitivity to hormones, any bc pill or hormone therapy made me sick, sick, sick.  So I opted for the copper IUD and have been so happy with it.  I admit, it makes my periods longer and very heavy for two days. But it was honestly my only choice.  I hated all the barrier methods and didn't have the kind of regular cycle one would need to do it the rhythm method way.  

If it's only the hormones in the Mirena giving you trouble, consider the Paraguard.  I think they even do a monthly payment thing now if the upfront cost is a problem.  The cost savings over time can be amazing if you really sit down and do the math. 

• 2 weeks later...

DHC cleansing oil is incredible. I didn't have a pimple until I was in my thirties....well maybe a few as a teen. I started breaking out with painfully acne when I hit 30. A friend whom had acne as a young adult recommended it to me. It is great. It takes off every stitch of make up. Even super hard to get off mascara. It is olive oil based but doesn't leave your skin oily or stripped feeling. It is great. My face is clear, no black heads nothing. It makes since since oils attract oil. It helps dissolve sebum that is clogging your pores.

Agreed on progestin only pills being the worst for acne...  I was started on that and after having a clear face my entire life, I knew what it was like to have acne.  After my doc and I figured out that I actually was starting to have stroke symptoms (migraines, right sided numbness/tingling, loss of vision) - she recommended ParaGard, the copper IUD with zero hormones.  I'm iffy on copper in my body, but feel better about it than hormones - I've really liked it.  Wish you the best!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had my Mirena IUD taken out. I'm currently taking Reclipsen, an oral combination pill the OBGYN insisted I would "love". I read reviews online and most people said it cleared their acne up. It has only been 3 weeks since the switch and my acne has made zero improvement. In fact, it may have gotten worse. I tried coconut oil before I made the switch for about 2 weeks and I had to stop, because large cystic pimples were forming and I simply couldn't wait for it to maybe get better. I'm going to order the DHC cleansing oil next time I get paid and I'm going to try and be a little more patient with the pill I'm on now and see if it gets better, but ParaGard is sounding more appealing as I continue to battle this acne. Acne never used to be this big of an issue for me and the guessing game with my hormones is frustrating. I had really heavy periods as a teenager (I'm talking overnight pad and a super absorbency tampon during the day), so I'd prefer to save ParaGard as a last resort. I realize barrier methods or the rhythm method is an option, but I'm 23 and I'm in nursing school full time (perhaps that's the cause of all my problems!) and kids really aren't in the agenda for at least a few more years, reason being why I prefer a more reliable method of contraceptive that is in my control. 

I've used Coconut Oil on my face for about 6 months now.  I add the essential oils frankincense and lavender.  I love the way my face feels and I use the Clarisonic Mia with it.  I have found that I can only use it once a day.  Twice a day was too much.  I still have to spot treat bumps that I get, but the blackheads are just about all gone.  I'm in my 40s and had no issues with acne until around 35. 

Coconut oil is not a great solution for people with chronic, cystic acne. It also sounds like you have a lot of responsibilities, and stress is a primary factor for flare ups. You're already eating well - that's a great first step! I strongly recommend finding some "you" time everyday. Make it a routine, so you have something to look forward to. This might reduce stress. Finally, I STRONGLY recommend seeing a dermatologist that you love. I am in Santa Monica, and I go to Dr Vicky Rappaport in Beverly Hills. They have an incredible adult acne skin care like called SKN that cleared me up when I literally was so broken out you couldn't see any smooth skin. I work with kids, and one of the kiddos said I looked like a "monster." He was right - and I felt like one, too! But the SKN line saved my life!! I also take 50mg of spironolactone, which is good for us blessed women who suffer from hormonal acne. Oh the joys! Hope you're skin is clearing up!

Here's what I do - I mix up a paste of baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, raw honey and witch hazel. I just keep adding everything until its a thick consistency. Then I put a hot face cloth over my face for half a minute or whatever to open my pores. Then I rub that stuff all over and rinse. Best thing I've ever done. I still get one or two pimples during my cycle but besides that, my skin has never looked better.

You can get witch hazel online or at whole foods. I get the one with lemon juice. Try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Like some of the others have mentioned, coconut oil is amazing for me everywhere but my face (and hands). It's so drying on my face and hands, so after I apply in the shower, I make sure to rub my face oil into my hands.

My skin went crazy when I went paleo last year, from fairly normal in a dry climate to painfully dry (I couldnt even smile, it hurt so bad) with cystic acne. I tried a few natural products that did nothing and landed on garden of wisdom products. They are mail order only and if you get carried away with the samples as I did, it can get pricey. What I finally landed on to clear up my acne was their basic green tea creamy cleanser, a toner (mine helps the redness in my cheeks), an oil with hyaluronic acid (I love baobab oil for my skin), and one of their very basic moisturizers mixed with their pH serum. At night I use a mandelic acid lotion and once or twice a week I use a clay or moor mud mask followed by the mandelic acid. I feel like the two keys here, product wise, are the mandelic acid and the pH serum. When I discontinue those, the acne comes back after a few weeks. Now that I have my routine down, it is much cheaper..but I admit I went crazy with samples in the beginning. They have some intro kits for specific skin problems if you feel overwhelmed looking at everything.

Anywho, this is a novel. Just wanted to share what worked for me as I know how frustrating it can be with the cycstic acne in particular.

Going off of the pill after having been on it format years wreaked havoc on my skin. I was diagnosed with PCOS, went Paleo and started using the oil cleansing method a la Liz Wolfe and her Skintervention Guide, which I highly recommend. It will accompany your way of eating nicely, as Liz is a Paleo blogger/writer.

You don't have to use coconut oil for oil cleansing. You can use other oils, but I would definitely include castor oil as one of your oils (the other oil would be olive, jojoba, almond, etc...look it up for more info).

This has been the most effective thing for me and the least expensive! Eating super clean helps, too.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Archived