Definition of paleo-fying things.. how much is too much

mwise

Hi all

We are having a discussion about whole30 on another board and I need to know if I'm out to lunch on this.

The question is about paleo-fying things. Now, I can see not going from pancakes for breakfast/pasta for lunch/pizza for dinner to paleo versions of them, but I ddin't see anything about never having a whole30 treat while you are on it.

The treat in question was paleo mousse.. avocado/banana/cocoa/cinnamon blended together.

Am I lying to myself that that is ok? I also eat frozen strawberries pureed with coconut milk and lemon juice for that cold sweet thing.

Thanks for your input

Mary-Anne

Here's something I posted on the topic earlier:

It's not that paleo-fied foods are inherently bad as much as they're typically used to support bad behaviors with less bad foods. It's like smoking a light cigarette. You do have to draw the line somewhere though. For instance, on my whole30s i've blended frozen berries with coconut milk, called it ice cream, and enjoyed it occasionally however prior to my whole30, I had no real issue with sweets or ice cream. It wasn't a regular part of my diet so occasionally enjoying a serving of fruit, frozen and blended instead of whole, is ok with me. Remember even if your "milkshake" is paleo, it's going to carry a somewhat abnormal caloric, carb, and sugar punch, and my point is not that we necessarily care about those macronutrients as much as it's something you wouldn't get from eating one of those foods alone and whole. It's supernormally stimulating in a way that's confusing to your body and mind. So spend 30 days totally erasing those habits and if you want to add your shake back in post-whole30, you'll have the awareness of how everything you eat effects you to do so comfortably.

Ok, if I understand this correctly, if I don't have an ice cream habit normally then eating strawberries and coconut milk for dessert on occassion is ok. BUT if I have a burning need for ice cream regularly I shouldn't.

Is that correct?

Archived