Oils?

letitbeatles9

Hello everyone! :)

I'm doing some research and planning ahead of my second Whole30 attempt (quit partway through the first attempt because I was eating the same stuff that I didn't really like over and over) and have some questions about oils.

First, what brands of coconut oil do you guys suggest that have little of the coconut taste/smell but that are still compliant and good for you? I've been using Nutiva and would like to find something less strong if I can.

Same question for olive oil. Are there any brands that have a less strong taste? I've been using Bertolli. 

Finally, has anyone tried avocado oil? Does anyone know how healthy it is, if it's useful for cooking, how it tastes?

Thanks guys!

some people use refined coconut oil - apparently that is compliant, and has no taste! I don't mind the coconut smell/flavour, so use unrefined.

I personally wouldn't use olive oil to cook with - I use it in mayo and on things after cooking. you can get "light" flavoured - all olive oil tastes different so it will vary from brand to brand and even within a brand there will be different tastes depending on the olives used for different oils. I can't recommend any though....i'm in Australia :)

have you tried cooking in ghee as an alternative cooking fat?

I've tried avocado oil. wasn't a huge fan - again, I wouldn't cook with it, just use it on stuff.

Love cooking with coconut oil. My grocery store sells Spectrum brand: I got the one for cooking on high heat and there was little to no smell. 

On olive oils, Philippo Berio makes an Extra Light olive oil that may interest you.

On avocado oil, I tried it and wasn't a fan. I love avocados too, but the oil was just too strong in the flavor.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris.  Very helpful!  Amberino21, I have not tried cooking with ghee yet and I probably should!  I'm so used to cooking with oils that I tend to think of them first, but it would be fun to try something different.

Are the fats that fatworks sells (tallow, lard, duck fat) whole 30 compliant? You have to order online so I have been hesitant to try them till after my whole 30....

They are VERY compliant. Great saturated fats from all pastured animals. Even the ducks which they said is hard to find. Someone told me they have a good deal going if you buy all 3. I havent tried the pork leaf lard yet (picking it up on Sunday) but the duck fat and tallow are amazing.

so glad to hear that the fatworks fats are compliant, i was thinking of ordering some. i don't mind the coconut oil flavor, but one of my kids doesn't like it much so i do get refined coconut oil sometimes...i know trader joe's had it at a decent price.

I am definitely getting some of that Fatworks. I sent my husband a link to the 3 pack (beef, pork and duck fat) and said that is what I wanted for my birthday. YUM.

Lol..splendid idea. :) Only a W30er or Paleo person would think to ask for fat for their birthday. :)

I am also looking to begin and doing some preliminary research on oils.  I do not have the book yet, it is still being shipped.  I currently use Macadamia nut oil for cooking in a pan, as it is healthy and tolerates higher heat than olive.  Does anybody know if Macadamia nut oil is complient with the Whole30?   I'd like to continue using it if possible.

Thanks

I am also looking to begin and doing some preliminary research on oils. I do not have the book yet, it is still being shipped. I currently use Macadamia nut oil for cooking in a pan, as it is healthy and tolerates higher heat than olive. Does anybody know if Macadamia nut oil is complient with the Whole30? I'd like to continue using it if possible.

Thanks

Yes, it is compliant. The fats to avoid are butter (but clarified and ghee are fine), canola, seed oils and so called vegetable oils. Sesame seed oil is fine as it is more of a flavoring oil and not used for cooking. You will find a list of oils and what is preferred in the book.

My favorite source for quality Coconut Oil is by far http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/  .  This company uses minimal processing, locally sourced and labored.  The best option for no taste is what they call "Expeller Pressed."  It has no flavor, and seems to have the same nutritional benefits of regular Coconut oil.

Additionally, the ability to buy by the gallon (or 5!) makes the cost/benefit much better than the small jars you will get from the store. 

Archived