different greens

Hello. So today I was reading some of the blogs and I came across the fact that you can actually eat the tops of carrots. Now I'm slightly upset that I had bought carrots from my farmers market and farmstand a couple times and they just broke them off. And I read the same thing about beets, which I haven't tried because I have no idea how I would cook them. Any suggestions?

I want to finish off my whole 30 with some new things, because I have kind of started to be boring and not as abitious with trying new things. I'm making mine a whole 45 because I had couple mishaps where I wasn't able to stand my ground and politely refuse things at the expense of feeling terrible the next day. But I'm grateful for that revelation and I look forward to finding out what foods I have sensitivities to, as that was the whole point of my starting my whole 30. I was just so sick of feeling sick and tired and depending on sugar in its granulated sugar form to get myself through the day. I was getting scared in where that dependance was headed. sorry for my rambling.

I've been amazed at how amazing I feel on this "diet" which I believe I want to make my lifestyle and everytime I look in the mirror I think my body looks like its changing for the better. I only wish my friends were more supportive of me in this journey, since they were the ones to derail me and pressure me eat time. My mother has done a lot of cooking and has found that it is not all that difficult to cook for me which she likes, she just makes a larger portion of veggies and I eat that and the protein.

I sautee or massage raw all kinds of greens - kale, turnip greens, radish greens, beet greens, chard, etc. 

Raw massaged green salad - wash and tear into bite size pieces all greens.  Pour a glug of olive oil.  Sprinkle salt.  Reach in with both hands and massage for a minute or two until they are tender.  Add whatever you like.  I like it with pepper and hb eggs.  Also can add dried cranberries and nuts.  Or balsamic.  Or whatever you want.

My son's favorite soup is carrot top soup.  Do a search for recipes.  It's basically broth, carrots, celery, onion, seasonings and chopped carrot tops.  It's as good as the seasonings you add.  Plenty of salt and pepper and some hot sauce is necessary from my point of view or it is pretty bland, but my son likes it bland.

Thanks for the tips! The massaged salad sounds good, I'm getting kinda sick of regular lettuce. Can you massage it in the morning for lunch in the afternoon without it being too soggy/mushy our should it be done immediately prior to eating?

I massage it on Sunday and it's good all week!  It's much better than lettuce salads that way.  I've been warned against eating too much raw kale if you have a thyroid disorder, but I don't, so I kind of live on it.  I do try to mix it up, though.  I like it for breakfast with hb eggs cumbled on top.  Or lunch with an avocado massaged in and some roast veg and leftover meat added. 

Archived