Deli turkey and sprouts

carens19

The thing that confuses me is that you promote deli meats when they are filled with sodium and chemicals as well as being overly processed.  They are usually as far from natural animal products as possible, other than hot dogs and sausages.  I have learned that sprouts (sunflower sprouts, pea sprouts, broccoli sprouts, etc) and green leafy vegetables are sources of complete proteins as well as being more easily digested.  Although they aren't animal products, what is your opinion on these proteins?  I was a raw vegan for a few years, slightly modified now with this addition of some animal proteins, but I still cannot imagine eating deli meats, sausages or canned foods.  Thank you for your feedback.

I'm not sure deli meats are promoted - I haven't eaten anything but "real" meat for months, and very rarely over the past few years.

Most people who choose to eat these products during a whole30 look for the products made without all the additives, from well raised animals.

In terms of sprouts, I'm not sure I'd eat them for their protein. They're very nutritious, yes, and increased protein compared to unsprouted......but you'd need an awful lot to get enough protein.

• Moderators

Here is what the rules say: Eat real food – meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they're totally natural and unprocessed.

You CAN have deli meats if you can find them without off-plan ingredients. I have never found deli meats that are okay, but have heard of people finding acceptable roast beef. The email tells you something you COULD eat, but the email falls short of promoting deli meat.

You can't get everything you need from plants. You can survive on plant sources of protein, but you will never experience the highest levels of health eating only plants. Scientists can debate what is true or not true endlessly. Those of us who are not scientists can hardly follow the discussion all the way through without getting lost most of the time. But if you read It Starts With Food and take seriously the authorities quoted there, and if you listen to the reports of many former vegans/vegetarians on this forum, you have a hard time escaping the conclusion that animal protein is critically important.

The email states "quick, on-the-go, craving-busting foods".  I dont see any sprouts that people may 'crave' per say.  plus they are really not that easy for access.  Deli meat with salsa and avocado is more appealing to most people, than sprouts. 

Sprouts as part of a big salad, not as a meal.  And most people are unaware of the variety of sprouts available or their nutritional value.  That being said, I have incorporated fish and chicken into my diet as well as eggs and it's working well for me.  My main point is sending this inquiry was the reference to deli meat which is something, at this point, I would not consider eating and was surprised to see it even as a suggestion due to the ingredients.

Hey Carens, I think you missed Tom's disclaimer. Deli meats are a great, easy to grab protein source, assuming the ingredients are compliant. Very few are.

If the ingredients in some deli turkey you found was, "turkey, water, salt," would you have a problem with it?

It's a good option, especially for folks with kidlets.

I think the email is just trying to give some ideas - help people who are new to this discover new ways to have convenient and portable snacks. Compliant deli meats can be difficult t find but I know that the Whole Foods near me has a few. I don't look at it as a preferred option, but there are times and situations where it might be a helpful one nevertheless. 

Agree, agree, thank you.  I have to reprogram years of being raw and vegan to this new way of life.  I actually am happy to be eating some fish and chicken again - I did miss it.  The path I chose to follow gave me all the reasons not to eat it, plus I wasn't digesting it well and that was a big problem, which is being solved on this plan right now.    I'm still overly cautious of chemicals, preservatives, etc. as we all are and I didn't know there were deli meats made without.  I'll look at Whole Foods and see what I can find.  Thanks for the suggestions.

And deli turkey is being promoted - you said you weren't sure that was happening.

I never said I wasn't sure, I meant that IMO they weren't promoted. The bit in the email is, like the others have mentioned, merely a suggestion - no one is saying you have to eat it! (If you can even find compliant versions!)

Carens, it sounds like at this point, you don't eat beef, but Applegate makes a compliant deli roast beef. As with anything suggested here or in the newsletter, you have to read the ingredients label. I can't tell you how many times I have trotted off to purchase something that was compliant in one part of the country, but contained something off limits somewhere else. Same brand name even.

I have searched far and wide for compliant deli turkey but can't find it in the Portland area. However, my friend finds it in Atlanta.

When I was working full time, I found a store that carried a boneless turkey breast from a pastured turkey. I struck up a conversation with the butcher and he would roast them for me and then slice them on his slicer. It made an awesome quick meal with lettuce, avocado and paleo mayo rolled up inside.

I tried to answer you three times yesterday and my stupid laptop kept crashing and losing what I'd typed :( I wanted to say, I could so empathise as I, too, used to be a raw food vegan. Eating the amount of meat I do now was hard enough, 'deli' meat felt like the devil's spawn :wacko:

Now, whether I'm doing a W30 or not I still avoid most deli meats as very few are 'clean'. I won't eat any that contain carageenan or sulphites at any time (both not allowed on a W30). I was also scared of nitrates until I read this article by Chris Kessler (I have to put the link at the end or it won't show up) and now I don't mind them. I'm luck that here I can get ham from outdoor reared pigs that has no nasties and beef that just has added salt. I pretty much stick to them for deli meats.

I'm also a major sprout fan. Now I tend to grow them in trays of thin soil on my windowsill and let them grow a bit more into micro greens and love them on my salads. I have a whole shoebox of different kinds of seeds for this .good luck

Thank you for this post.  After living my life for the past four or five years according to Dr. Brian Clement and Hippocrates Institute teachings, this is a little difficult to wrap my brain around.  Although I am happy to be having some fish and chicken again.  I also grow sprouts at home and feel like my salad is protein packed when I add them to it.   Chicken still sits heavy in my stomach, although the fish is fine.  Any thoughts on why that could be?  It's organic chicken.  I'm afraid to even try red meat as it's always been so difficult for me to digest.  I think I'm in a conundrum, lol!  Thank you for your support.

I still get magazines sent ot me from dr Clements and the Hippocrates Institute :)  For quite some time I felt guilty that I actually felt better eating this way :ph34r:  I also think if we don't eat meat for an amount of time, our bodies stop producing all the enzymes needed to digest it - why would it keep producing enzymes we're not using. I found when I started eating meat again, taking a digestive enzyme with my meal really helped.

I notice the link to the nitrate article didn't come through again Arrrgh, trying again

http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon

Archived