2nd Whole30 (Attempt Number 324793289)

Sara O.

Hey, yinz guys!

I'm starting my second Whole30 tomorrow!

I did my first (complete) Whole30 in the spring and have tried many times to do another.  My eating, sleeping, and thinking habits have gotten way off track since then and after being out of town for about a week and eating and sleeping poorly, I know the best thing to get me happy and healthy again is another Whole30.

Right now I'm super tired (despite having slept 10+ hours last night, my skin in breaking out, and my body's been feeling off all day.

My goals for this Whole30:

1) Sleep - Get to bed before midnight each night.

2) Play - Visit my horse each week.

post-14631-0-86749100-1375757797_thumb.j

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1

Tiiiired.  But didn't fall asleep until after midnight and woke up around eight.  It's amazing how much better quality of sleep you get, the more hours you're asleep before midnight.

Breakfast

-2 hard-boiled eggs*

-butternut squash with ghee

-green tea

-2 fish oils (1,200mg; 363mg EPA; 240mg DHA)

Sooo, I'm very excited, but also a little stressed...  I'm going to be moving this Saturday.  It's a 16-18 hour drive to move myself, my dog, and my belongings to our new home.  I'm also starting a new job next week!   :D  I'll be taking canned tuna and salmon, Primal Pacs, and SeaSnax on the road.  Does anyone have any tips for Whole30 road trips?

Luuuunch

-London broil* with salt, pepper, and dried garlic

-two raw carrots

-apple

(Totally did not realize there were no green vegetables in the house.  This NEVER happens!)

NAPPED  (I rarely ever napped before discovering the Whole30.  Now, I know how to do it properly!)

Dinner

Went and bought some veggies!

-canned salmon*

-mixed baby greens with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-steamed broccoli

-raw macadamia nuts

-fish oil

*All of the meat I get comes from animals who were fed their appropriate diets and were humanely raised.  I do my best to get eggs from free-range chickens who aren't fed corn or soy, however sometimes the best I can do are the organic eggs from the grocery story.

Yikes, starting a Whole30, moving, and starting a new job in the same week! That is a very full plate you have there girl, best of luck to ya!

Sounds like you have some good snacks planned. I like to take hb eggs or a frittata with me too when traveling. And olives. All can be fairly easy to eat when driving if you pack them right. Drink lots of water so you're forced to stop frequently. I can feel the pressure to blast through a long drive, but frequent stops will keep you from getting too tired. It's one thing to road trip to visit family or whatever, but if you're moving you'll need a ton of energy when you get there to, you know, move everything.

Good luck with the new job, how exciting!

Day 2

Woke up feeling a bit tired today, but much better than yesterday.  Slept for 9+ hours!

Still a little stressed about moving.  Just trying to figure out the best way to transport everything.  Still very excited though!   :D   :D

Breakfast

-two sunny-side-up eggs with salt, fried in ghee

-butternut squash with ghee  (GHEE IS THE GREATEST THING EVARRR)

-two fish oils

-green tea

Lunch

-steak with salt, pepper, and dried garlic

-mixed baby greens with olive oil, salt pepper

-steamed broccoli

Pre-WOD snack

-hard boiled egg

-macadamia nuts

-2 fish oils

WOD

AMRAP in 15:
9 assisted Muscle-ups
36′ Bear Crawl,
10 air squats
36′ Bear Crawl

I completed five rounds and five assisted muscle-ups

Today was my last day working at my gym.  ):  Because I was there from 4:15 to 8:30, I had to have an on-the-go dinner...

Dinner

-Large Primal Pac

-Peter Rabbit pumpkin, apple, and carrot baby food

So my first Whole30 attempt was about a year ago.  During that time I've learned many things.  One of which is that my body does not like eggs from chickens who were fed the wrong diet.  There are two foods that I've always had a strange relationship with:  eggs and bananas.  I love both!  But I can only go a few months of eating one or the other, before the very sight of them makes me nauseated.  For eggs, I now believe it is because I've been eating the wrong eggs.  Over this past year, 90% of the eggs I've eaten have come from free-range, organic chickens who weren't fed corn or soy.  And I've only gotten tired of eggs once.  Only once!  This is a miracle!  Today, I came across this video.  Now, I'm thinking I have the same issue with bananas as I do with eggs because they are "infertile mutants."

Thoughts?

Day 3

No crazy cravings yet.  It's kinda freaking me out, but is definitely a good thing!  Got some gooood sleep last night!  Slept for 10+ hours!  And I don't feel groggy or like I over did it.  I think my body just really needed the rest.  (:

Breakfast

-two eggs with salt, fried in ghee

-two raw carrots

-green tea

-two fish oils

Lunch

-very small eye round steak

-~4oz. canned tuna*

*my first bite of tuna made my brain think of Twizzlers.  wuuut?

*my first bite of tuna made my brain think of Twizzlers.  wuuut?

How odd!  

That banana video is very cool!  It also explains something to me.. my entire life, my mother has hated the taste of bananas.  I was born in the late 60's and I have a vivid memory of being a small child and asking her why she never ate bananas and she said "THAT is NOT a banana.  It doesn't taste right to me."  Huh.  I wonder if that is why?  Very interesting!!

Ok, guys.  I've decided to start over again.

The move on Friday is my reason.  We had planned to leave Saturday, but my road trip buddy got Friday off, so we decided to leave a day early.  This meant we had to quickly pack everything Thursday evening and that we weren't really ready Friday morning.  We didn't forget much...except for enough food.  We had Primal Pacs, canned tuna and salmon, hard boiled eggs, and raw carrots.  But that's about it.  Needless to say, we ate some non-Whole30 food on the go.  Also, I've had about 15 hours sleep (including naps) since Thursday.  So, tomorrow will be Day 1.  Let's have another go and do this thing right!

Attempt number 324793290, GO!

Day 1

Woke up tired after about eight hours of sleep, but ready to ROCK this Whole30!

Breakfast

-left over chicken with bay powder, cumin, and salt

-acorn squash with ghee

-green tea

-two fish oils

I came across this yesterday and it made me wonder how much I could change if I did a Whole180 or even a Whole90.  I struggle with 19 of the 22 symptoms of CARB Syndrome.  The majority of which people seem to over-come with Whole9 eating.  Also, I have been labeled an introvert my whole life, but I wonder, if my body was working properly, whether I really would be.   :blink:   When I've done at least two weeks of Whole9 eating in the past, I find myself becoming more outgoing and wanting to socialize!  It's truly amazing.   :D

Lunch

-tuna steak seared in coconut oil

-1/2 GT's Trilogy kombucha

This was a light lunch because it was sorta late.

Dinner

-canned salmon

-green beans

-two raw carrots

-fish oil

Day 2

Slept for 12+ hours last night!  I must've needed it, as I don't feel groggy or tired at all.  I think I'm just recovering from the weekend.  I'll be up at six tomorrow though to start training for the new job!   :D

Breakfast

-left over chicken with bay powder, cumin, and salt

-acorn squash with ghee

-green tea

-two fish oils

Lunch

-boneless bison steak with salt and pepper

-boiled broccoli

Purposely having a small lunch since I had such a late breakfast!

Dinner

-canned tuna

-baby greens with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-half a sweet potato with ghee

-fish oil

I came across this yesterday and it made me wonder how much I could change if I did a Whole180 or even a Whole90.  I struggle with 19 of the 22 symptoms of CARB Syndrome.  The majority of which people seem to over-come with Whole9 eating.  Also, I have been labeled an introvert my whole life, but I wonder, if my body was working properly, whether I really would be.   :blink:   When I've done at least two weeks of Whole9 eating in the past, I find myself becoming more outgoing and wanting to socialize!  It's truly amazing.   :D

It's really almost creepy how much and how fast food and lifestyle can affect your brain. I definately noticed a huge difference after a couple weeks of W9'ing it. I get happy and generally enjoy life again!

Have fun with training tomorrow! Hope your new boss is nice :)

It's really almost creepy how much and how fast food and lifestyle can affect your brain. I definately noticed a huge difference after a couple weeks of W9'ing it. I get happy and generally enjoy life again!

Have fun with training tomorrow! Hope your new boss is nice :)

Yes!  It's amazing isn't it!  Last time I did a Whole14, I noticed that really quickly.  It was like things were normal and I was happy 90% of the time.  :D

And thank you!

Day 3

Breakfast

-chicken baked with olive oil (maybe shoulda used coconut oil or ghee?)

-1/2 sweet potato with ghee

-green tea

-two fish oils

Was woken up by my alarm while having a dream about doughnuts.  They were in a box in a vending machine.  There were only 10 in the box for a dozen and I couldn't figure out how you got them out of the machine.  Also couldn't decide if they were worth getting or not.  Yep.

First day of training for the new job today!  Had to be up at six, but I think I got about eight hours of sleep.  So excited!!   :D

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-Peter Rabbit Organics carrot, squash, and apple baby food

First day of orientation went really well!  The company seems to have really good values and standards.  And the people all seem to really enjoy their jobs and were super nice.   :D

Dinner

-steak with salt and ghee

-mushrooms with Red Boat fish sauce and ghee

-boiled green beans with salt and pepper

-fish oil

OMG YINZ GUYS my new roommate is a gourmet cook!!!  She made this steak, right?  AND IT'S FLIPPING AMAZING!  All she did was got it out of the fridge, patted it dry, sprinkled some salt on one side, let it sit out to warm up for about 15 minutes, then put it in a hot Le Creuset pan with quite a bit of melted ghee (salt side down), then sprinkled more salt on top!  Nothing super fancy, but it turned out perfection!  She said letting the salt sit on the meat for a bit brings the proteins to the surface and makes it crispy and yummy in the pan.  Try it!  Ok.  I'm gonna finish my dinner now.

Day 4

Need more sleep.  I think I slept at least seven hours last night, maybe even eight.  Fell asleep really quickly (LOVE that about the Whole30!).  Can't wait to sleep in tomorrow!  lol

Second day of training, go!

Breakfast

-chicken breast baked with olive oil

-1/2 sweet potato

-two fish oils

-green tea

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

Dinner

-two eggs with salt fried in ghee

-canned tuna

-two raw carrots

-boiled broccoli

-two fish oils

Another good training day.  Kinda tired though.  Too much brain activity.

Oh! I almost forgot...  Someone brought in doughnuts to our training today!  I'm SO food obsessed that in that type of situation, I would usually be thinking about those doughnuts the whole day.  Whenever someone would go get one, I would envy them for being ignorant of the true damage that doughnut is doing on them physically and mentally.  BUT today, I TOTALLY forgot they were even there!  It was truly amazing!!!

Day 5

Yay!  Day 5!!!

Slept for about nine hours (awesome!), but still woke up a little tired.  Yesterday, I noticed that the corner of my mouth has cracked.  I've been told this can be due to a vitamin deficiency.  Could there be something that my body has become deficient in in less than four days?  I think my mood is improving already though.  I feel more optimistic and willing to get things done.   :)

Breakfast

-1/2 sweet potato with gheeeee

-green tea

-two fish oils

Had a nice frolic around the park with the doggie!

Lunch

-left over chicken baked with olive oil, mustard on the side

-two raw carrots

-boiled green beans

-1/2 GT's citrus kombucha

I know my meals haven't been fancy or terribly exciting (and the Whole30 is definitely about exciting meals!), but having just moved, I'm relying on the basics to get me through until I have the ingredients and the time to make my Whole30 yummies...Paleo Comfort Foods' sweet potato casserole...Nom Nom Paleo's Korean Short ribs...crab cakes...curry...chicken tenders...pot roast!

Dinner

-raw cashews

-canned salmon

-lettuce with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-1/2 GT's citrus kombucha

-two fish oils (1200 mg)

My new roommate is very respectful and helpful with my Whole30 and usual ways of eating, but she is already making a list of all the restaurants and bakeries we are going to go to after I finish my Whole30!  hahaha

Today we went to two farmer's markets/CSAs and the Whole Foods.  We also baked a whole chicken this evening to have for the week, and tomorrow will be making crab cakes.   :D

Day 6

Day 6!!!  Wooooo!!!

So happy to have made it this far!  I can already seen the reduction of inflammation in my hands, face, and belly!  It's truly amazing what just a few days can do!

Slept at 8.5+ hours last night, but still woke up tired.

I'm still feeling a bit emotionally shaky.  Though I did just start a new job (this week we have training M-F, eight hours each day), and I  moved 1000 miles only a week ago.  lol

Also, US Wellness Meats put out a discount code this morning, so that made my day!  hahaha ;)  

Breakfast

-sweet potato with ghee

-two fish oils

-green tea

Lunch

-amaaazing chicken baked with olive oil and salt

-red lettuce with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-bilberry GT's kombucha

Dinner

-cashews

-crab cakes

-butternut squash with ghee

-two fish oils

Got home late from seeing my pony and still needed to make the crab cakes, so I just ate what I could!

Day 7

Woo! woo!

Almost a quarter of the way there and it feels like I just started!

Only got about seven hours of sleep last night.  Def wanna be in bed at nine tonight!

Breakfast

-left over chicken baked with olive oil and salt

-1/2 acorn squash with ghee

-green tea

-two fish oils

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

Dinner

-left over crab cakes

-red lettuce with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-boiled broccoli

-a few pattypan squash fried in ghee (which were delicious!)

-1/2 citrus GT's kombucha

-fish oil

Day 8

One week down!

Woke up this morning pretty tired.  /:  My mind is just too busy when I fall asleep I think, and getting up at six isn't helping.  Hopefully, I will be able to recharge on the weekend.

Breakfast

-left over chicken baked with olive oil and salt

-baked sweet potato with ghee

-green tea

-two fish oils

Lunch

-small Steve's Paleo grass-fed kit

-Peter Rabbit apple, squash, and carrot

-SeaSnax onion go pack

Was VERY tired all day.

Dinner

-crab cakes

-lettuce with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-handful of cashews

-boiled green beans

-citrus GT's kombucha

-fish oil

Looking forward to sleeping!  lol

Day 9

Whuuuut Day 9!!!  I'm so proud of myself for keeping my daily journal going on here!  I honestly thought it wouldn't have lasted this long.  I told myself not to freak out be concerned if I didn't feel I was able to keep this journal going.

Woke up not quite as tired today.  I think I slept at least eight hours last night.  (:

Breakfast

-left over chicken

-two eggs fried in ghee with salt

-sweet potato with ghee

-fish oil

-green tea

Having just moved, I think one of the best things I could do to set myself up for success in this place is to do a Whole30.  I feel that I'm getting my mind and my habits on the right track.  I'm getting used to going to sleep at a good hour, finding time to make good meals, figuring out grocery shopping, and starting a new job with new co-workers knowing that I eat a different way (And because we're still getting to know one another, there hasn't been any "Aw, Sara, it's just ooone doughnut, go ahead and indulge.").  I had waffled over the decision of whether to wait and settle in and then do a Whole30, or to start right away.  And starting right away was the right decision.   :D

Lunch

-tuna canned with olive oil

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Didn't have much of a lunch and had major brain fog later!

Dinner

-Amazing curry thing with coconut milk, lime, cashews, ground beef, and a ton of spices that the gourmet chef roommate and I threw together!

-riced cauliflower

-salad with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-fish oil

Day 10

!!!

Breakfast

-chicken wing

-chicken leg

-baked sweet potato with ghee

-green tea

-fish oil

I noticed small strange red spots on my belly a couple days ago.  Never seen anything like that before...  Part of the detox process?  Also, my left knee has been hurting quite a bit.  It normally gives me trouble when I don't sleep enough or eat well.  I'd say I slept at least eight hours last night...coulda used more though!  lol  My skin already feels softer and I definitely see an improvement in my memory!   :D

Lunch

-tuna canned with olive oil

-Peter Rabbit apple, squash, and carrot

-SeaSnax onion go pack

Not as tired after lunch today like I was the day before, but was much hungrier come 4:30 when it was time to go home.

Dinner

-left over amazing curry thing

-riced cauliflower

-salad with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-fish oil

I think I need to be eating more.  However, this past week I haven't had time to go to the store.  Hopefully, this weekend I'll be able to restock and make a few things for the week.  (:

Archived