2nd Whole30 (Attempt Number 324793289)

Sara O.

Day 11

Oh my god!!!  More than a third of the way there!!!

Had a dream last night that I sacrificed my Whole30 for some cake and a box of doughnuts!  I was SO upset with myself, but SO relieved when I woke up and realized it was just a dream.  lol  This has happened to me so many times.  hahaha

I think I got at least eight hours of sleep last night.  Can't wait to sleep in tomorrow!   :D

Breakfast

-four eggs fried in coconut oil with salt

-over riced cauliflower with ghee

-cubed butternut squash baked in coconut oil

-green tea

-fish oil

I'm really trying to make myself eat more.  Although, I no longer become hangry when my blood sugar starts to drop, I still feel that my meals should be sustaining me longer than they do.  Plus, (as much as I LOVE eating) I really like the idea of eating only three meals per day and being able to comfortably go six hours without eating.

Lunch

-tuna canned with olive oil

-raw cashews

-Peter Rabbit apple, squash, and carrot

-SeaSnax onion go pack

I was definitely more awake today.  I think the 8+ hours of sleep and four eggs with two veggies helped A LOT!  Today was the last day of training and it went by really fast.  Even though I only had five days of training with my fellow trainees, I'm gonna miss them!  lol

Dinner

-chicken fingers

-sweet potato with ghee

-boiled green beans

-1/2 strawberry GT's kombucha

-fish oil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 12

Woohoo!!!

So I had a dream last night that I sabotaged my Whole30 for two fun sized candy bars.  And I told myself that because the one candy bar melted in my mouth and that I didn't have to chew it, that it didn't count.  hahaha  I was like, "Hey, at least I got 11 days in.  That's pretty good."  Oy vey.

Anyway!  Slept at least nine hours last night and feel very good this morning.  (:

Breakfast

-three eggs fried in ghee with salt

-butternut squash baked with coconut oil

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-left over chicken fingers

-boiled broccoli

-SeaSnax

Dinner

-raw cashews

-tuna canned with olive oil

-sweet potato with ghee

-lettuce with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-fish oil

Day 13

Almost half way there!  SO excited!

Slept about nine hours last night.  (:

I'm a little concerned about what's going to happen after my Whole30.  My cravings are pretty much non-existant at this point (AWESOME!) and when they do happen, they are very fleeting.  However, what I miss most about these foods is what went along with them...  When I have sugary foods, I become more out-going and social, I (initially) relax, and I sit in front of the T.V. and become a mindless zombie.  I'm not sure what you would call these effects, but they are what I miss the most.  I've been pretty stressed about starting a new job, and plopping down in front of the T.V. with a smorgasbord of non-Whole30 foods sounds nice most evenings.  What's stopping me is my commitment to the program and my knowledge of how I'll feel when I stay on track (or off track!).

Breakfast

-three eggs with salt fried in ghee

-butternut squash baked with coconut oil

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-left over chicken fingers

-sweet potato with ghee

-boiled green beans

Dinner

-steak cooked in ghee with salt

-mushrooms cooked in ghee with Red Boat fish sauce

-1/2 cranberry GT's kombucha

-fish oil

My energy seems better, but not quite where I want it to be.

Day 14

Wut wut!

Had another Whole30 sabotage dream last night.  I don't remember it as well as the others, but it had something to do with me sampling non-Whole30 foods and telling myself that a little smackerel won't hurt anything.  smh

First day at the new job today!  My biggest concerns are when lunch time will be and if my blood sugar will hold out.  lol

Breakfast

-more left over chicken tenders (I cannot believe how many days these have lasted!)

-sweet potato with ghee

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-Peter Rabbit carrot, apple, and squash

-SeaSnax wasabi go pack

First day at the new job went SUPER fast!  And everyone was so nice and seemed to really enjoy working there.  (:

Dinner

-chicken baked with olive oil and salt (OMG AMAZING)

-red cabbage with apple cider vinegar, onions, and a red apple

-1/2 GT's cranberry kombucha

-fish oil

Day 15

Day 15, you guys! Day 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to bed at nine last night and got up at six.  Was woken up two or three times during the night by the roommate and mah dog.  Soo kinda tired this morning.  But I have tomorrow off.  (:  Also, my left knee was really killing me a few days ago, but that seems to be getting better.

Breakfast

-Pastured, organic eggs fried in clarified butter with salt

-left-over chicken fingers

-left-over cabbage

-sweet potato with clarified butter

-green tea

-fish oil

Not a big fan of the cabbage, but I ate it with the chicken so it went down.  lol

Lunch

-tuna canned in olive oil

-raw cashews

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

-Peter Rabbit carrot, apple, and squash

Just noticed that I'm now an Advanced Member!  Woohoo!  lolol

Dinner

-left over chicken baked with olive oil and salt

-two raw carrots

-fish oil

Still a little worried about how things are going to go after my Whole30.  Worried that I'm just going to fall off the wagon so hard, that I won't be able to climb back on.  I'm only just half way, so that may change as I near Day 30.   :rolleyes:  I still feel a bit tired after lunch when I'm at work (only at work).  And come three o' clock, I'm ready for a pick-me-up (sugar).

post-14631-0-06146200-1378470045_thumb.j

Day 16

MORE THAN HALF WAY THERE!

Was woken up by a dog jumping on my head in the middle of the night because he was afraid of the thunder.  He was never afraid of the loud, booming Florida thunder, but apparently the rumbling Pennsylvania thunder is too much for him.  He was shaking.  Then I woke up around seven because I really had to pee.  Don't drink kombucha too close to bed time!

Breakfast

-four eggs fried in ghee with salt

-sweet potato with ghee

-one sheet of SeaSnax

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-left over chicken

-salad

-left over cabbage

Pretty tired today.  No tiger blood yet.  Just feel like watching T.V. and eating sugary things.

Gonna try making spaghetti squash with meat sauce tonight for the first time.  Woot woot!   :D

Dinner

-spaghetti sauce (tomato paste and purée, ground beef, mushrooms, onions, garlic powder, oregano, salt)

-baked spaghetti squash

-zucchini sautéed with salt in ghee

-fish oil

This dinner was delicious! and the sauce was near perfect!  However...  about 10 minutes after I finished eating, my stomach became really upset...the same thing happened about half an hour later.  Further into the evening I got really cranky for about five minutes, and all night my stomach hurt and this morning it still felt off.  ):  Could it have been the tomato sauce?  I've had a strong aversion to tomatoes (and peppers and somewhat eggplant, as well) for most of my life.  Though I still like ketchup, and some tomato and pizza sauces.  So, what do these three things have in common?  Aaall nightshades.  Hmmm.

Day 17

Slept at least nine hours last night.

Breakfast

-four eggs with salt fried in ghee

-left-over zucchini

-acorn squash with ghee

-green tea

-fish oil

As I put in the previous post, I still feel a bit off.  I'm hoping these good carbs will help things.

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Dinner

-left over chicken

-left over cabbage

-salad

Stomach still felt weird most of the day, but I had good energy all day!

Day 18

Weeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Yesterday was my first late shift.  Left sometime after eight, so ate dinner super late (for me).  I like to eat between six and seven.  Woke up this morning a little off, but it's whatevs.  Slept for at least eight hours.  (:  Had a crazy dream about eating a ton of Reese's cups and other sweets.  This time I didn't feel too guilty about it, I just wanted as much as I could get!  Hmmm.

Breakfast

-left over zucchini

-acorn squash with ghee

-left over chicken

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Dinner

-spaghetti squash

-left over spaghetti meat sauce

-1/2 GT's citrus kombucha

-fish oil

The spaghetti sauce hasn't messed up my stomach so far!

post-14631-0-50919300-1378469969_thumb.j

Day 19

Felt like my blood sugar was a little funny this morning, but the spaghetti sauce didn't mess up my stomach like it did the other night.

Didn't fall asleep until after midnight last night, but slept at least nine hours.  lol

Breakfast

-left-over spaghetti squash with ghee

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-left-over chicken

-left-over cabbage

-salad

Went on a 4-5 mile hike and went canoeing with a childhood friend I hadn't seen in eight years!  It was perfect weather and we had such a good time.  :D

Dinner

-large Primal Pac

-one sheet of SeaSnax

-fish oil

Day 20

Slept about nine hours last night.  My legs and feet are sore this morning!  lol  I could feel it at the end of our hike yesterday.

In the past couple of days, I've noticed that I'm definitely losing weight.  The inflammation in my body has gone down everywhere...I can see it in my belly and my face, even in my hands!  I'm a little concerned that I've lost some muscle mass though, as I usually work out at CrossFit 3-5 times per week, but haven't been to a box since moving.  I had some lower back problems in the spring and went to a physical therapist.  I found out my pelvis is rotated in every way it shouldn't be.  She basically told me to move as little as possible, and of course not work out at all.  So, I figured this transitional time (moving, Whole30ing, starting a new job) would be a good time to take a break from the gym and focus on healing my body.  I have had some exercise:  horseback riding, playing with and walking the dog, hiking).  So, hopefully when I get back to the gym, I won't have lost too much strength, but I will be healed up a bit and ready to tackle the bar again!

Breakfast

-spaghetti squash

-left over spaghetti meat sauce

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-salmon with salt fried in coconut oil

-cabbage

-boiled broccoli

-1/2 GT's trilogy kombucha

Dinner

-3/4 of a large Primal Pac

-Burgatory grass-fed elk burger with angel dust

-fried egg

-avocado

-lots of organic baby greens with olive oil and salt

Went shopping after dinner at the first Whole Foods I've ever known.  It was a nostalgia trip.  (:

Day 21

Day 21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  More than 2/3 of the way there!!!

Had about nine hours of sleep last night and woke up feeling pretty rested.  However, both my knees have been feeling pretty tendonitisy since Saturday.  /:

Even though I ate out last night, my belly is considerably less puffy today!  Yay good food and good sleep!

Breakfast

-sweet potato with ghee

-green tea

-fish oil

Went to visit my horse with a friend and her son.  Didn't ride for long, but it was good to see my friend.  She and I have known each other for 16 years and she learned to ride on my horse when we were younger.  (:

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

^That obviously wasn't enough for lunch and I started getting pretty hungry around 4:30.  I managed to make it to six though!

Dinner

-cashews

-turkey leg baked with olive oil and salt

-Paleo Comfort Foods sweet potato casserole

-haricot verts fried in olive oil with salt

-fish oil

post-14631-0-46621000-1378470143_thumb.j

Day 22

Oh my god, you guys!!!  I'm so close to the end of the program!  I almost can't believe how (dare I say) easy this has been!  Maybe because I'm in a new situation and have been super busy.  I'm still slightly tempted by sugary foods, but I went through my journal for my first Whole30 and found that my cravings didn't really go away until Day 27.  I'm also still a little concerned about what will happen when I'm "riding my own bike."  My program ends next Wednesday, and the following Sunday I have a wedding to go to.  Luckily the catering is being done by an amazing company that uses local foods and humanely-raised meats (how cool is that??).  Even though my cravings are still there, they have diminished considerably and I find myself saying "Would it really be worth it to eat that?"  This is a BIG step for me.   :D

Breakfast

-left-over sweet potato casserole

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-SeaSnax go pack

Dinner

-left-over spaghetti sauce with ground beef and mushrooms

-left-over spaghetti squash

-left-over green beans

-fish oil

Work day went by really quickly.  Tendonitisiness in my knees is still there.  The left knee has been the worst all day, but is fine when I am sitting.  Donno how else to make it heal quickly when my diet and sleep has been really good.  lol!

I think the ~magic~ may be starting to happen...!  I was alert and felt -normal- all morning.  And I wasn't even hungry for lunch at one o' clock, I could have waited another hour or two.  Amazing!

Day 23

Feeling pretty good this morning.  Think I slept at least eight hours.  (:  The past couple of nights, I've found myself waking up when the dog moves around.  Usually I don't notice him during the night.

My left knee is still acting up, but isn't as bad today.  The right one seems all better though!

I am very nearly ecstatic about reaching the end of my second Whole30 and completing this goal!   :D  I don't know what I am going to do with myself on Day 31 (besides go to work!  haha :P)

Breakfast

-left-over sweet potato casserole

-green tea

-fish oil

So I needed to do laundry today and had planned on just wearing some running tights, but it's suddenly cold and I thought how nice it would be to wear jeans.  Wellll, I came across my skinny jeans while going through my dresser and decided to try them on.  And ohmigod THEY FIT. WELL.

Lunch

-left-over turkey leg

-left-over cabbage

-salad

Dinner

-salmon fried in coconut oil with salt

-sweet potato with ghee

-boiled green beans

-cashews

-fish oil

One of my top left molars keeps hurting.  Boo.  I have periodontal disease, and in the past when I've eaten the Whole9 way, the sensitivity stops.  Truly amazing!  So far I haven't had any problems this time around, until now.

Day 24

Less than a week left!!

Got at least eight hours of sleep last night.  I can't believe how awake I've been feeling!  Yesterday, well into the evening, I felt like I had so much more energy than normal.  I think the biggest thing that has made a difference this time around is that I'm eating enough.  I understand we're not supposed to concern ourselves with calories, but (for purposes of measuring my energy input only!) I'm pretty sure I'm eating about 3000 calories per day...and losing weight!  I'm also not working out, so I'm sure I've lost some muscle mass...though I still have good muscle definition.  It is just so amazing how much more you can (and should!) eat if you're eating the right foods!

Breakfast

-sweet potato casserole

-fish oil

-green tea

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Dinner

-Vital Choice Wild Red canned salmon (YUM!)

-butternut squash with ghee

-salad

-fish oil

Day went by fast again.  Stomach was a little weird this morning, but my blood sugar stayed steady all day.  With this new job, I usually go at least four hours before eating lunch and at least five hours before eating dinner!  But keeping lotsa fat in my diet and eating enough has helped me keep a clear head and my energy up.  :D

Day 25

Didn't get quite enough sleep last night, though probs about eight hours.  Let's see how my energy levels do today and if any crazy sugar cravings occur!

Breakfast

-sweet potato casserole

-fish oil

-green tea

This is like my new favorite breakfast!  Especially when the eggs get all crispy-fried around the outside.  Yummm!!!

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Felt tired at work not too long after lunch.  My blood sugar held out just fine, but I did feel the need for something sweet at the end of the day.

Dinner

-Vital Choice Wild Red canned salmon

-salad

-fish oil

Day 26

Oh snap! only four days to go after today!

Must've slept at least eight hours last night, but woke up early from a charlie horse.  Ouch!  This is not a common thing for me, and only seems to happen when I'm working out too much or have been eating the Whole9 way for a week or so (not enough magnesium p'haps?).  However!  The tendonitis in my knee seems to be gone!  Let's hope it stays gone as I will be standing around at work for about four hours today.

My skin looks amazing btw!  And I keep getting told that I look much younger than I am.   :D

Breakfast

-sweet potato with ghee

-fish oil

-green tea

Tendonitis flared up as soon as I started living walking around too much.  Worse than ever today!  Just stood around for three hours at work.  It was fun (we got to do something different today), but my knee was not happy.  Also, was around cookies all day and I still want them!  Darn.

Lunch

-tunned canned in olive oil

-one sheet of SeaSnax

-cashews

Dinner

-scallops

-broccoli

-some sort of asian probably-not-Whole30 brown sauce

-green tea

-more (peppermint) tea

Went out to dinner at a really nice asian restaurant.  I did my best to Whole30 my meal...  looked over the menu ahead of time and several times at the restaurant, and asked what type of oil the use (vegetable oil).  I didn't see anything in the description of my entrée about a brown sauce on the food or I would have asked about that too.  Ah well, lesson learned.  It was delicious by the way!  Oh and I don't feel horrible or anything this morning.  (:

Day 27

ONLY THREE MORE DAYS AFTER TODAYYY

Breakfast

-four eggs fried with ghee and salt

-sweet potato with ghee

-green tea

-fish oil

-ibuprofen...!

This tendonitis is driving me crazy!  Since last weekend, whenever I wake up, my knee feels fine.  It isn't until I start going up and down stairs or hills that it begins to hurt.  But this morning, I woke up with it still hurting.  I don't generally take pain relievers, but I don't know what else to do.  I've iced it; I've tried staying off of it.  I think yesterday was just too much...  I stood around on cement for three hours at work, then ran limped around the park with the doggie, then walked around Shadyside a bit.

Lunch

-ahi tuna

-salad with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-lychee green bubble tea

-ibuprofen

Went out to lunch at Aladdin's, then to Rose Tea Café for tea.  The bubble tea I had was CRAZY sweet and made my head feel funny.  Pretty sure I got drugged (with sugar)!  lol  I only drank half of it.

Had a wonderful afternoon wandering around Pittsburgh.  It was gorgeous out and I had been wanting to wander the neighborhoods of Pittsburgh even since moving back.  (:  Just wish this tendonitis would go away!

Dinner

-burgers with garlic powder, salt, and pepper

-green beans

-GT's trilogy kombucha

-fish oil

Day 28

Slept at least 10 hours last night!  I was exhausted when I went to bed.  My knee feels better this morning.  ::fingers crossed:: that it stays feeling good!

Breakfast

-three eggs fried in ghee with salt

-left-over burger

-spaghetti squash with ghee

-sweet potato with ghee

-green tea

-fish oil

My roommate found some cheeeap ($3.00/dozen) pastured eggs over the weekend!  The yolks are so orange!

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Dinner

-tuna canned in olive oil

-two raw carrots

-one sheet of olive oil SeaSnax

-fish oil

Work went by pretty quickly today.  I think my knee is getting better...!  I'd really like to take the doggie for a wander around the city sometime soon, though I won't have time for another couple of weeks.  Best be healed by then!

I clopen (close, then open) today/tomorrow, so dinner was quick and simple.  This tuna in olive oil is very satisfying though.  Yummm.

Day 29

Day 29. Holy eff.

Knee is feeling better!  Slept about seven hours last night.  Do not like early shifts.  I'm interested to see how my energy levels and blood sugar do today with the amount of sleep I've had.  In the past when I've eaten the Whole9 way, I will usually start waking up around seven all on my own.  That hasn't happened this time.  Maybe because the sun comes in to my room a different way (hardly at all), or because of the changes in my job (learning new skills and being stressed in a different way), or maybe because I haven't been to CrossFit in over a month.  Hmmm...

Breakfast

-four fried eggs

-left-over spaghetti squash with ghee

-sweet potato with guess what!

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-onion SeaSnax go pack

Dinner

-chicken tenders

-boiled broccoli

-raw carrots

Low energy and blood sugar?  What low energy and blood sugar?  Man!  Not a second of brain fog or single dip in energy today!  AND despite being hungry when I got home, I was HAPPY and even took time to make chicken tenders!  WHOLE30 I LOVE YOU!!!  Yeah, I want to shout the good food word from the roof tops now!  Too bad I'd probs get things thrown at me.  lol

Oh and my tendonitis is 98% gone.   :D

Day 30

Oh snap!

Slept about nine hours last night.  Felt kinda meh this morning though.  Dreamt that I was in a grocery story and allowing myself to buy whatever sugary foods I wanted.  But I didn't want any of them.  Ha!

Breakfast

-three eggs (cooked guess how!)

-left-over chicken tenders

-spaghetti squash with ghee

-sweet potato with ghee

-green tea

-fish oil

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

I love Primal Pacs so much (though I prefer the ooey-gooey version more), that I look forward to this lunch every day!  lol

Dinner

-salmon fried in coconut oil

-boiled green beans

-raw carrots (outta veggies and going away this weekend)

-raw cashews

-1/2 GT's strawberry kombucha

-fish oil

Was a bit tired today, but still was able to focus all day!  Stomach was feeling off though...

Archived