Beer & ice cream party!??!?!

Gaileo

Hey folks! I'm along for the official Whole30 ride so I am on day 6. Feeling really good after being pretty exhausted and achy the last day or two. I think I am a couple days ahead of the timeline because I have been eating mostly paleo since my first Whole30 in January, and I tried to eat super clean on the 31st. 

Anywayyy I was invited to a going away party for one of my closest friends. It's this Saturday. He is going away for 3 years and I really want to go to his party. I am just worried I will not be able to handle it, because it is a beer and ice cream party! Seriously. It's like a cruel joke. I am worried I will just want to cry or punch someone while I'm there. 

I'm doing this Whole30 because I'm trying to kill my sugar dragon once and for all. I love ice cream. And I love beer. So I am thinking I should just skip this party for my own well-being, but I really don't want to miss my good friend's send-off. Anybody had a similar experience? Should I attend? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I would go and make sure I had water to drink. Anyone who's ever been pregnant knows how to socialize at a beer party without partaking. By extension the same principle works with ice cream.

If you know you don't have the self control for it, skip it and give your friend a call to wish him well and let him know why (i.e., the dietary restrictions you're on right now would make it hard to enjoy a party where you can't partake).

I would go and bring kombucha to drink.  Or, club soda with lime if you don't like kombucha.  Just make up your mind before you go that you're giong to skip the ice cream and beer.  Don't let yourself even start thinking about it.

That's a tough one.

If you decide to go, make sure you have eaten beforehand, enough fat and protein as specified by the template to be satiated. Then I'd plan to "drop by". Show up a little late, after everyones had their fill of ice cream, instead of early when a sunday bar is all setup, calling to you. You will also avoid when everyones dishing up and eating it in front of you, for the most part. Bring your water (or lime with bubbly water) and a baggy of nuts or something to turn to if you feel like you might cheat. If it gets to be too much, excuse yourself and leave. You got to see your friend and came to see them off/wish them well and made it through the temptation... win/win!!

Also carbonated water in a can concealed by a koozie, or a red cup is a great way to avoid explaining why you aren't drinking a million times.

Great ideas! I have gotten pretty good at not being self-conscious about my eating in social situations, and I am more worried about temptation for sweets at that stage of a Whole30. In the past I've dealt with it mostly by staying away. I really like the idea to show up a little bit late. Also water concealment is pretty genius. Thanks everyone!

I was at a party on Saturday that had so many of my favorite foods and desserts that I still can't believe I didn't fold.    It was tough at times, but I have a few W30's under my belt so I was prepared.  Here are some tips that help me in these situations: 

• Eat before  you go so you are not hungry
  • Pack some baby carrots and nuts in a bag if you can, or keep in  your car.  A Lara bar might also help in these situations.
  • Bring a dish that is W30 compliant so you have something to eat too
  • Always have water with you so your hands have something to hold and you are always drinking
  • Stay on the opposite side of the room/yard from the food.
  • Keep moving around and talking to people
  • Realize you may need to white knuckle it at times and just breathe through it.
  • If it gets to hard, leave. 

You are stronger than the food, and it's only for a few hours.  You can get through it and you will feel amazing the next day.  Have fun and stay strong.  ;)

I really like the idea to show up a little bit late.

It's pretty fool proof. I've shown up to parties late that I planned on eating at and all the food was gone.

It depends on the setup, but if its buffet style it's definitely less appealing after its been picked over (and the ice creams all melted.) If there are kids there even more so. I once watched a little girl at a party take her finger out of her nose and then handle every cream puff on the dessert table! Yum!! ;)

Archived