ZOMG BEEF! (Just for fun.)

Disclaimer: this post is mostly just for fun.   :)

Hey guys!

So I gave up beef and pork as my new year's resolution in 2005 (felt sorry for the cows and pigs) and ate them only a handful of times after that. (In recent years, I hung out at my best friend's house for hours one day, seeing and smelling them cook dinner, which I learned at the last minute when I was already starving was beef burgers. I ate a burger. We call it "the dinner that never happened." First rule of the dinner that happened is that we never talk about it.)

ISWF and the Whole30 program has had me rethinking that choice over the past few weeks.

Low and behold, as I've been waffling about this, a really good coupon for grass-fed ground beef was waiting for me in my inbox today.

I am seriously considering using it.  (!!!)

I'm taking suggestions on what to make for my first meal using ground beef in 8 years (not counting "the dinner that never happened"). If I get one awesome enough, I just might not chicken out.

GO!   

I wish I could help, I am horrible with ground meat, unless it is tacos or chilli, and since my recipes for those are not exactly whole30.....

I want to follow this post though, I just bought 6 lbs of grassfed ground beef from a local farm and have no idea what to do with it.

I did make an awsome Pork/Beef Bolognese over Zucchini Pappardelle the other day.  Kids and husband loved it too. 

(recipe from emeals)

Pork Bolognese

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine (Sub broth of choice)
1½ lb lean ground pork
1½ lb ground beef
14 oz can coconut milk
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high
heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic; cook 4
minutes. Add tomato paste; cook 2 to 3
minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine and cook
2 minutes; transfer toa 5- to 7-quart slow
cooker. Add pork and beef to pan; cook 5
minutes over medium-high heat or until no
longer pink. Add meat, coconut milk, bay leaf,
salt and pepper to slow cooker; stir. Cover and
cook on Low 4 hours. Note: Freeze leftover
sauce in a zip-top plastic freezer bag up to 3
months, if desired.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Zucchini Pappardelle

2 large zucchini
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil

Use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to cut
zucchini into long, thin ribbons. Toss with oil
and basil. Top with Pork Bolognese.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This happens to be baking in my oven at the moment:
http://paleomg.com/paleo-savory-sweet-potato-meatloaf/

It is most delicious - I've had people look at me in envy when I bring it to work for my meal.  Makes 2 loaves, so I enjoy one first and freeze the other one.

If you can't find compliant bacon (one of the ingredients), I would either substitute compliant pancetta or skip it, and just cook the raisins and onions in coconut oil or a compliant animal fat.

I've made chocolate chili twice in the last month and eaten on it all week long. It's so good. (I couldn't find any compliant beef stock at my stores - if you can't either, I subbed chicken stock the last time, then promptly bought soup bones from my CSA to make my own beef stock!)

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

If you really want to taste the beef, though, maybe a burger with some good toppings?

My first suggestion would be steak tartare. Drool.

If you really want to taste the beef, though, maybe a burger with some good toppings?

I second that... a burger patty topped with some avocado, green chiles, jalapenos and fresh tomatoes... or topped with carmelized onions and mushrooms.... there are lot of directions you could go!

Good luck. :)

Just an FYI, the grass fed ground beef I've had is a lot more dense than regular ground beef and has less fat. Keep that in mind when you are cooking with it. You will have to add fat.

I agree, no tartar from already ground beef. That's a good way to get ecoli.

I am going to check out some of these recipes, they sound yummy.

It is most delicious - I've had people look at me in envy when I bring it to work for my meal.  Makes 2 loaves, so I enjoy one first and freeze the other one.

If you can't find compliant bacon (one of the ingredients), I would either substitute compliant pancetta or skip it, and just cook the raisins and onions in coconut oil or a compliant animal fat.

OMG I am so going to make this, and freeze it in slices for quick and easy breakfasts!!!  It sounds fantastic.

i have to make that...i bet the kids would like it and the idea of having one i can freeze for later use makes it even better.

Yep! It is compliant! Almond and coconut meal/flours are fine for binders and for coatings--like fish or chicken--but not for making 'paleofied' things like cookies or muffins. Those are off limits. I have made that meatloaf before and it is wonderful.

Archived