Raisins?

Skiley

• 1 month later...

I am just wondering if preservative 202 is allowed? Most of the dried fruit in Australia has this ingredient listed with the only other ingredient, that particular fruit.

I don't want to use the dried fruit long term, i am just looking to make a larabar type thing, to show a friend living this way (whole30, then a paleo lifestyle) can still allow a few natural sweet treats.

• 1 month later...

That sounds good!!! Gonna try it tomorrow morn...

Back to the rapeseed oil.... It was used exclusively for years as an industrial lubricant and local farmers would grow crops as a cheep way to " grease up " farm equipment.... CANOLA in an acronym for "Canadian Oil Low Acid.

Rapeseed typically contains high levels of erucic acid (which makes oils go rancid quickly, is toxic in large doses, and Canadian scientists genetically modified a strain of Rapeseed to have a low acid content.... And the subsequent marketing of a cheap " healthy " food oil.

I wouldn't touch the stuff !!!!! I have know about this for years and refused to use it way before I went Paleo

If you like raisins try this:

• sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt on 1 bunch of destemmed dino kale and massage with hands 3-5 minutes or until it looks cooked
  • drain any water that comes out
  • toss in some chopped red onion, a chopped avocado, a handful of raisins, olive oil, vinegar of your choice, and some toasted chopped nuts

I made this for the first time about a week or so ago and i've made it 3 times since. It's so good!

• 5 years later...
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, salsasis14 said:

So I'm going to assume my store-brand raisins are safe.  I was kind of annoyed when the ingredients list just said "raisins" but wouldn't they list added oils or sugars?

If it doesn't list off plan ingredients anywhere on the label then they're fine.  Make sure you check for things like 'may contain less than 2% of xx' and 'xyz added for anti clumping' or the like.  If it doesn't say that and it's just raisins then go for it.

Archived