Getting a UTI

Emily T

I'm on day 18 of my Whole30 and feel a urinary tract infection coming on.

I'd like to avoid antibiotics and I'm trying to remove ALL sugar from my diet (meaning no fruit) as I believe it is causing my continued digestive issues. Meaning, I do not want to drink gallons of cranberry juice. 

Are there any home remedies or herbal supplements I can take to nip this in the bud? I'm drinking tons of water to flush it out. 

Thank you - I just purchased it at the organic market near my house. Its a sugar though. Says on the bottle - 2g sugar. Is that okay on the whole30? I took it anyway because I am dying here! 

I went to the doctor and got a script for antibiotics (and an antifungal for the inevitable post-antibiotic yeast infection) but its my backup. I really do not want to put my digestive system through that!

I couldn't answer if it's Whole30. My understanding is that your body cannot process this sugar but the bacteria in a UTI love it. So what happens is that your body gets rid of the sugar and the bacteria go with it! I would think since you are not eating the sugar or drinking the cranberry juice you are not going to throw off your cravings, and your body just gets rid of it anyways... but I'm not a Whole30 expert... 

Let me know if it works for you!! I have MS and due to the symptoms I have UTIs all the time. If I take this daily I don't have any problems. I'd love to hear if it helps you too!

I took one of the antibiotics I was given and was VERY ill! 

I started the mannose and symptoms were gone in about one day. SO WORTH IT. I'm going to keep taking it for a few weeks just in case. 

Thank you very much for the recommendation. 

• 1 year later...

Ooh, I'd never heard of this.  I don't get UTI's *that* often, but I always take a cranberry extract supplement and those over the counter analgesics.  

I'll pick some of this up, especially as I find that I can give it to my 17 year old cat, who is also prone to UTI's.

Something I've found that works for me....2 or 3 lemons juiced with pulp...straight up, followed by water chasers.   I keep the lemons and water coming, gone.    Some say not to use lemons but I do.  They work.  Cranberry juice has not ever worked for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Something I've found that works for me....2 or 3 lemons juiced with pulp...straight up, followed by water chasers. I keep the lemons and water coming, gone. Some say not to use lemons but I do. They work. Cranberry juice has not ever worked for me.

Ditto I usually all day long I have 20 oz water with squeezed lemons equals about 90/100 oz really helps

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I am on day 4 of my first whole 30. I was excited that I had not expirenced any of the possible affect until about 330 today when I started with the urge to pee. I have not had a UTI or Yeast Infection since I can't remember when and I'm not even sure if this is the start of one, but I have a slight discomfort and constant urge. Are these things normal? If I'm eating by the book why am I getting and infection. Or...could this be the symptoms of something else.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

D-Mannose is Whole30 compliant. No worries! Glad to hear it worked!

I'm so  glad to hear this .   I have had recurring UTI's for years.  This is the only thing that works without taking Antibiotics.    All natural.  It was on the sugar list for Whole30 .  I   take it every day also.  Goes right to the bladder .  Is fine for Diabetics also.   

Hello all, I am on day 4 of my first whole 30. I was excited that I had not expirenced any of the possible affect until about 330 today when I started with the urge to pee. I have not had a UTI or Yeast Infection since I can't remember when and I'm not even sure if this is the start of one, but I have a slight discomfort and constant urge. Are these things normal? If I'm eating by the book why am I getting and infection. Or...could this be the symptoms of something else.

Thanks in advance!

I  would go to the store and get UTI test strips.  take the test.  If pink  you have an infection.   By the way D-mannos only works on e-coli bacteria. If you are not better  go to the Dr.  and get a culture.   

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

I also got a UTI and I am on day 22. I ended up having to get antibiotics. They gave me cipro because amoxicillin is horrible on my stomach.

Do a lot of women get UTIs on whole30?

An infection in your urinary tract would have very little to do with the Whole30 unless you are eating a lot of foods that are irritating to your system (coffee, acidic and spicy foods).   More than likely you were going to get the UTI regardless. 

• 7 months later...

I'm on day 18 of my Whole30 and feel a urinary tract infection coming on.

I'd like to avoid antibiotics and I'm trying to remove ALL sugar from my diet (meaning no fruit) as I believe it is causing my continued digestive issues. Meaning, I do not want to drink gallons of cranberry juice. 

Are there any home remedies or herbal supplements I can take to nip this in the bud? I'm drinking tons of water to flush it out. 

:D  I Just Wanna Let You Know There IS Help!!!  i have been taking a Supplement for over a Year now and i usta get U.T.I.'s every single year!!!  but now i use a Supplement called D-Mannose... i take a 1500mg Capsule every nite and NO More UTI's!!!!!  check it out on GOOGLE! its super SAFE and It Works!!!!!  

:D I Just Wanna Let You Know There IS Help!!! i have been taking a Supplement for over a Year now and i usta get U.T.I.'s every single year!!! but now i use a Supplement called D-Mannose... i take a 1500mg Capsule every nite and NO More UTI's!!!!! check it out on GOOGLE! its super SAFE and It Works!!!!!

I second that!

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I found this thread! I'm on day 3 and yesterday noticed clouding and a slight smell but no other UTI symptoms, I had a pretty severe one last month and I was sure I kicked it with the help of antibiotics. I'm wondering if there is something in my diet that is triggering a reaction? I think I'll try the D-Mannose and see if that helps.

Archived