Day 6: Tired and really weak

Today is day 6, so far so good. I find myself getting really full really fast at each meal, but it holds me over to the next meal so I am not too worried about it. I really need to find a different option for breakfast other than eggs, and some mornings I just can not stomache eating vegtables at breakfast. Other than breakfast meals are going okay, but I do need to experiment with other veggies instead of the basic green beans, brocoli, carrots and peppers.

I was thinking by this point I would start getting my energy back. Today I woke up tired, and went to bed early last night because I was so tired. I also feel really weak. My arms get tired brushing my hair, my legs tired walking up a few stairs. I My last run was more of a walk, I felt like my legs could not move. This is not normal for me at all!

Help!

Shannon

Shannon, this is concerning to me. Can you post some of your meals? Although you say you are full, it sure sounds like you aren't getting enough food. Maybe play around with the balance of carbs/protein/fat a bit (more starchy carbs might help?).

yikes! I hope you feel better soon!

Day 5 Food Intake:

Breakfast- 2 eggs with a handful of spinach, 1/4 apple, handful of ground sausage, 1 cup of tea

Lunch- Salad with romaine, 1/4 avacado, 6 cucumber slices, 6 cherry tomatoes, 1/4 yellow pepper, 1 fried egg, 1 cup of tea

Dinner- about 1 cup green beans (maybe a little more) with almonds, red onion, olive oil and spices, 1/2 grilled chicken breast

I was not hungry for a snack yesterday. I also drink several glasses of water throughout the day.

Day 4:

Pre run- handful of almonds (this was the day I could barely run)

Breakfast- 2 eggs, 1/4 green pepper, handful of spinach, coffee

Lunch- apple dijon burger (size of palm), 2 cups brocoli with almonds and ghee

Snack- handful of almonds

Dinner- 2 golf ball sized greek meatballs (has tons of spices, herbs, red onion, dried mango, olive oil, ground beef and ground lamb), 2 tbs marinara, 1/2 C pesto baked carrot fries

Again tons of water, sometimes with lemon or other fruit.

It doesnt look like that much now that I write it down, but I physically can't eat anymore. I have to stop because I feel stuffed.

Hi Shannon, to help with the "carb flu" add extra sodium and potassium. Avocados are a great source also chicken broth with sodium. (when I was on Atkins these are the things recommended to help with "flu" symptoms) Bananas are also v high in potassium but tend to be carby. Hope this helps!

If it's any consolation, I couldn't get off the couch on day 6! Literally-could not move all day. I read, watched mindless TV and played on the computer-and all that activity tired me out so much that I took a 90 minute nap! Thank goodness I am on summer vacation-I have no idea how I could have gone to school that day! I'm pretty sure I would have had to call in sick!

The good news is that I felt infinitely better on day 7! And each day after that has gotten better and better. I'm no expert, but after reading your food logs, it really doesn't seem like you are eating enough protein? Or carb rich veggies? I really had to be diligent about adding healthy fat at every meal and making sure I was eating a carb rich veggie at least once a day. Once I figured out the right balance, my energy skyrocketed.

Don't give up-keep playing with your meals and don't be afraid to mix it up. And don't worry about your workouts. Your body is working hard trying to get used to this new way of nourishing itself-the workouts will improve as you get farther along in your Whole30-as witnessed by my day 20 run yesterday! ;)

• Moderators

Shannon, You've gotten excellent feedback from the others. Your weakness may be carb flu, but I am concerned that you are not getting enough calories each day. If you are feeling stuffed, you may be having trouble digesting what you eat. Try taking some digestive enzymes. Now Foods Super Enzymes are good ones. Start with 2 with each meal and then maybe add more. The Whole9 mentions them at http://whole9life.com/2010/09/supplements-part-ii/

As for no-egg breakfasts, I can't believe I haven't published my favorite yet - stir-fried ground turkey, onions, and a baked sweet potato, and maybe a handful of walnut pieces and dried cranberries. Basically, mash up these two recipes from my site:

http://www.wholelife...ed-cranberries/

http://www.wholelife...s-with-walnuts/

Why would I have to take digestive enzymes if I never have before?

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I will try to increase my protein and work on getting a few startchy veggies. The sweet potatoes for breakfast sound good! I was trying to avoid sweet potatoes and dried fruit because I could probably eat at least one everyday and I am one that craves sugar.

Ok, turns out it wasn't all what I was eating. I was coming down with my yearly bout of vertigo and was knocked out for a few days. Still recovering, but doing better. This was the worst time for me as far as wanting other foods since I didnt feel well. I made it though. Good thing we had meal plans for the weekend and just stuck to them. Starting to get back up to my normal portions now then I will try all the suggestions too and see how I do.

Thanks everyone.

Archived